Star Wars: Rebels

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

User avatar
DesertFly
has been designed to act as a flotation device
Posts: 1377
Joined: 2005-10-18 11:35pm
Location: The Palouse, armpit of Washington.

Re: Star Wars: Rebels

Post by DesertFly » 2014-04-26 04:54pm

Looks like The Clone Wars: The Next Generation to me.

EDIT - As in, I think it looks just as good.
Proud member of the no sigs club.

User avatar
Irbis
Jedi Council Member
Posts: 2262
Joined: 2011-07-15 05:31pm

Re: Star Wars: Rebels

Post by Irbis » 2014-04-26 05:12pm

RogueIce wrote:I have seen some other concept art that looks like it could be Imperial Army here. They do have vaguely ST-ish masks, but the rest of the uniform and armor looks like the Imperial Army. And I think that'll be awesome to see, because honestly outside of Timothy Zahn and the Empire/Rebellion comics (and RPG sources), I don't think the EU has ever really used them or even made the distinction, just went with All Stormtroopers All The Time. So seeing the Army proper show up in T-canon will be sweet.
That's the big problem with this series. It looks like every single Imperial (save for one Sith wannabe) will be completely faceless mook waiting to be killed, like NPCs in console game. Complete with teenage heroes keeping high scores. *sigh* I really hope writers can avoid that.

User avatar
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom
Posts: 27248
Joined: 2002-07-07 06:30am
Location: The Lost City

Re: Star Wars: Rebels

Post by NecronLord » 2014-04-27 07:21am

Irbis wrote:
RogueIce wrote:I have seen some other concept art that looks like it could be Imperial Army here. They do have vaguely ST-ish masks, but the rest of the uniform and armor looks like the Imperial Army. And I think that'll be awesome to see, because honestly outside of Timothy Zahn and the Empire/Rebellion comics (and RPG sources), I don't think the EU has ever really used them or even made the distinction, just went with All Stormtroopers All The Time. So seeing the Army proper show up in T-canon will be sweet.
That's the big problem with this series. It looks like every single Imperial (save for one Sith wannabe) will be completely faceless mook waiting to be killed, like NPCs in console game. Complete with teenage heroes keeping high scores. *sigh* I really hope writers can avoid that.
So... like the OT then?
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth

User avatar
ray245
Emperor's Hand
Posts: 7148
Joined: 2005-06-10 11:30pm

Re: Star Wars: Rebels

Post by ray245 » 2014-04-27 08:56am

NecronLord wrote: So... like the OT then?
Just because it is in the OT doesn't necessarily mean it is a good thing.
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.

User avatar
Irbis
Jedi Council Member
Posts: 2262
Joined: 2011-07-15 05:31pm

Re: Star Wars: Rebels

Post by Irbis » 2014-04-27 09:25am

NecronLord wrote:So... like the OT then?
In OT, we didn't have Sith emo wannabes, computer-games grade protagonists, and most imperials actually had faces fully visible outside of stormtroopers and TIE pilots. Hell, look at the vehicle driver concept on first page, it's just stormtrooper faceplate welded to what was completely open helmet in TOT:

Image

Besides, times changed a bit since 80s, and the standards were raised in the meantime.

User avatar
RogueIce
_______
Posts: 13312
Joined: 2003-01-05 01:36am
Location: Tampa Bay, Florida, USA
Contact:

Re: Star Wars: Rebels

Post by RogueIce » 2014-04-27 04:56pm

Thanas wrote:Not that great.
The animation style for the characters id definitely less blocky than TCW, which this shows pretty well.

Other than that I agree that as a teaser it's pretty meh. Little action sequence that will work fine in an episode, probably, but as a standalone is really nothing special.
Irbis wrote:That's the big problem with this series. It looks like every single Imperial (save for one Sith wannabe) will be completely faceless mook waiting to be killed, like NPCs in console game. Complete with teenage heroes keeping high scores. *sigh* I really hope writers can avoid that.
To be fair, the obvious practical reason for that is they'd have to make unique faces for all of those soldiers, which I'd imagine is probably more expensive than they'd want to do, assuming those guys show up a lot.

But since it seems I was wrong (maybe, I only vaguely recall reading this somewhere now) and those were basically "stormtrooper vehicle pilots" it seems there won't be a distinct Imperial Army in this show.

Which makes me sad. :(
Image
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight

User avatar
Irbis
Jedi Council Member
Posts: 2262
Joined: 2011-07-15 05:31pm

Re: Star Wars: Rebels

Post by Irbis » 2014-04-28 05:31am

RogueIce wrote:To be fair, the obvious practical reason for that is they'd have to make unique faces for all of those soldiers, which I'd imagine is probably more expensive than they'd want to do, assuming those guys show up a lot.
I don't know, would anyone notice they had similar faces if the goggles on image above were on their eyes? I still think it has more to do with dehumanizing the opponents on kid show than any technical difficulties, I didn't do any 3D modelling in years but changing proportions a bit in finished model to make face look different was a job that took closer to seconds, not days.

User avatar
RogueIce
_______
Posts: 13312
Joined: 2003-01-05 01:36am
Location: Tampa Bay, Florida, USA
Contact:

Re: Star Wars: Rebels

Post by RogueIce » 2014-04-28 06:09pm

Irbis wrote:
RogueIce wrote:To be fair, the obvious practical reason for that is they'd have to make unique faces for all of those soldiers, which I'd imagine is probably more expensive than they'd want to do, assuming those guys show up a lot.
I don't know, would anyone notice they had similar faces if the goggles on image above were on their eyes? I still think it has more to do with dehumanizing the opponents on kid show than any technical difficulties, I didn't do any 3D modelling in years but changing proportions a bit in finished model to make face look different was a job that took closer to seconds, not days.
Possibly. I won't deny that probably plays a role, though TCW got away with killing people who had faces. Maybe because most of those were actually nonhuman faces, if memory serves?

Oh crap, Filoni has a canon anti-alien bias! :shock:

:razz:

But anyway, they are supposedly "stormtrooper something-something" so I guess it makes sense to have that aesthetic. I think they're meant to be vehicle operators? But if that were the case I'd give them those white TIE pilot helmets the AT-AT drivers had in ESB. It makes no sense to use the Army helmet (Veers, the AT-ST drivers in RotJ) with a stormtrooper face plate.

But I guess we'll see whenever they make an appearance in the show.
Image
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight

User avatar
Irbis
Jedi Council Member
Posts: 2262
Joined: 2011-07-15 05:31pm

Re: Star Wars: Rebels

Post by Irbis » 2014-04-29 06:00am

RogueIce wrote:But anyway, they are supposedly "stormtrooper something-something" so I guess it makes sense to have that aesthetic. I think they're meant to be vehicle operators? But if that were the case I'd give them those white TIE pilot helmets the AT-AT drivers had in ESB. It makes no sense to use the Army helmet (Veers, the AT-ST drivers in RotJ) with a stormtrooper face plate.
Yeah, that's exactly it. We already have 'stormtrooper drivers' in these guys:

Image

So why try to reinvent the wheel? Is Empire non canon now too?

Oh well, I guess it's wait and see until then.

User avatar
Dartzap
Sith Acolyte
Posts: 5967
Joined: 2002-09-05 09:56am
Location: Britain, Britain, Britain: Land Of Rain
Contact:

Re: Star Wars: Rebels

Post by Dartzap » 2014-05-04 04:37am

EBC: Northeners, Huh! What are they good for?! Absolutely nothing! :P

Cybertron, Justice league...MM, HAB SDN City Watch: Sergeant Detritus

Days Unstabbed, Unabused, Unassualted and Unwavedatwithabutchersknife: 0

User avatar
Irbis
Jedi Council Member
Posts: 2262
Joined: 2011-07-15 05:31pm

Re: Star Wars: Rebels

Post by Irbis » 2014-05-04 07:03am

The plastic hair, pink Hello Kitty mandalorian teenager, low detail ISD and comic relief stormtroopers are... :wtf:

Other highlights: emo Sith is back, not sure about the officer helmet, too. *sigh*

User avatar
Darksider
Sith Acolyte
Posts: 5271
Joined: 2002-12-13 02:56pm
Location: America's decaying industrial armpit.
Contact:

Re: Star Wars: Rebels

Post by Darksider » 2014-05-04 09:40am

Irbis wrote:The plastic hair, pink Hello Kitty mandalorian teenager, low detail ISD and comic relief stormtroopers are... :wtf:

Other highlights: emo Sith is back, not sure about the officer helmet, too. *sigh*

My anticipation for this series is beginning to dissipate.
And this is why you don't watch anything produced by Ronald D. Moore after he had his brain surgically removed and replaced with a bag of elephant semen.-Gramzamber, on why Caprica sucks

User avatar
Thanas
Magister
Magister
Posts: 30779
Joined: 2004-06-26 07:49pm

Re: Star Wars: Rebels

Post by Thanas » 2014-05-04 11:02am

The trailer wasn't that bad, I found it to be an improvement over the previous one.

Also: correct link for those not using mobile.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_soLH5MWGOg
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs

User avatar
Darksider
Sith Acolyte
Posts: 5271
Joined: 2002-12-13 02:56pm
Location: America's decaying industrial armpit.
Contact:

Re: Star Wars: Rebels

Post by Darksider » 2014-05-04 11:19am

Hm. I can make out at least one Stormtrooper getting killed in that trailer, so at least my worst fear for the series isn't coming to pass.
And this is why you don't watch anything produced by Ronald D. Moore after he had his brain surgically removed and replaced with a bag of elephant semen.-Gramzamber, on why Caprica sucks

User avatar
RogueIce
_______
Posts: 13312
Joined: 2003-01-05 01:36am
Location: Tampa Bay, Florida, USA
Contact:

Re: Star Wars: Rebels

Post by RogueIce » 2014-05-04 05:15pm

I didn't see any comic-relief stormtroopers. Are you talking about the one who looked at the detonator? :?
Image
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight

User avatar
DarthPooky
Padawan Learner
Posts: 209
Joined: 2014-04-26 10:55pm

Re: Star Wars: Rebels

Post by DarthPooky » 2014-05-07 10:08pm

My only Concern is that they don't go with the brain bug that storm troopers are completely inaccurate and can't hit a thing Otherwise I'm really looking forward to it and the Animation themes better than In the clone wars Even a bit.

User avatar
Darksider
Sith Acolyte
Posts: 5271
Joined: 2002-12-13 02:56pm
Location: America's decaying industrial armpit.
Contact:

Re: Star Wars: Rebels

Post by Darksider » 2014-05-07 10:10pm

DarthPooky wrote:My only Concern is that they don't go with the brain bug that storm troopers are completely inaccurate and can't hit a thing Otherwise I'm really looking forward to it and the Animation themes better than In the clone wars Even a bit.
Given that Dave "Lets have everyone run forward dramatically and fire from the hip like retards" Filloni is involved in the show's production, you can expect an extremely poor showing from the "Emperor's Finest."

I'm slightly desensitized to it because i've been watching TCW for six years, but it's still fucking annoying sometimes.
And this is why you don't watch anything produced by Ronald D. Moore after he had his brain surgically removed and replaced with a bag of elephant semen.-Gramzamber, on why Caprica sucks

User avatar
RogueIce
_______
Posts: 13312
Joined: 2003-01-05 01:36am
Location: Tampa Bay, Florida, USA
Contact:

Re: Star Wars: Rebels

Post by RogueIce » 2014-05-08 08:07am

In TCW, Clones and/or Droids generally had their accuracy and lethality go up based upon whoever was supposed to win that battle, with various mooks on both sides getting knocked off for flavor.

So I'd imagine, based on past showings, it's going to depend on how these battles go. If they're only ever fighting against the protagonists it'll be no worse than the OT where they can't hit any of the Big Three, except maybe a wounding shot every now and again for drama. If they go up against some Rebel mooks or whoever, they might get a win.

In TCW they threw even Grievous a bone here and there, showing him as deadly and capable of winning. So I imagine the Empire should get at least a few of those in the series as well.
Image
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight

User avatar
Arawn Fenn
Youngling
Posts: 116
Joined: 2012-08-16 10:03pm
Location: Dol Guldur

Re: Star Wars: Rebels

Post by Arawn Fenn » 2014-06-07 01:57pm

Darksider wrote:
Irbis wrote:The plastic hair, pink Hello Kitty mandalorian teenager, low detail ISD and comic relief stormtroopers are... :wtf:

Other highlights: emo Sith is back, not sure about the officer helmet, too. *sigh*

My anticipation for this series is beginning to dissipate.
Once people figure out they can use it to bash the PT it will get popular.

This has all happened before.

Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member
Posts: 2220
Joined: 2004-03-27 04:51am

Re: Star Wars: Rebels

Post by Adam Reynolds » 2014-06-07 04:41pm

RogueIce wrote:In TCW, Clones and/or Droids generally had their accuracy and lethality go up based upon whoever was supposed to win that battle, with various mooks on both sides getting knocked off for flavor.

So I'd imagine, based on past showings, it's going to depend on how these battles go. If they're only ever fighting against the protagonists it'll be no worse than the OT where they can't hit any of the Big Three, except maybe a wounding shot every now and again for drama. If they go up against some Rebel mooks or whoever, they might get a win.
The difference there is that in both ANH and ESB, it can be argued that Vader planned for the heroes to escape at least somewhat. Only on Endor did the Stormtroopers really do poorly against the heroes without such a justification and in that case they at least hit Leia.
In TCW they threw even Grievous a bone here and there, showing him as deadly and capable of winning. So I imagine the Empire should get at least a few of those in the series as well.
The issue is that in this era Rebels are supposed to be extremely weak relative to the Empire and in general it is supposed to be a darker era in which the light is all but driven from the galaxy. The Clone Wars were much more evenly matched.

More importantly ANH clearly stated that the Rebel Alliance had won their first true victory, meaning that any characters we see would have to loose most of the time unless they are independent. The Empire should be winning on all fronts during the events of the series.

User avatar
biostem
Jedi Master
Posts: 1488
Joined: 2012-11-15 01:48pm

Re: Star Wars: Rebels

Post by biostem » 2014-06-07 09:01pm

Adamskywalker007 wrote:
RogueIce wrote:In TCW, Clones and/or Droids generally had their accuracy and lethality go up based upon whoever was supposed to win that battle, with various mooks on both sides getting knocked off for flavor.

So I'd imagine, based on past showings, it's going to depend on how these battles go. If they're only ever fighting against the protagonists it'll be no worse than the OT where they can't hit any of the Big Three, except maybe a wounding shot every now and again for drama. If they go up against some Rebel mooks or whoever, they might get a win.
The difference there is that in both ANH and ESB, it can be argued that Vader planned for the heroes to escape at least somewhat. Only on Endor did the Stormtroopers really do poorly against the heroes without such a justification and in that case they at least hit Leia.
In TCW they threw even Grievous a bone here and there, showing him as deadly and capable of winning. So I imagine the Empire should get at least a few of those in the series as well.
The issue is that in this era Rebels are supposed to be extremely weak relative to the Empire and in general it is supposed to be a darker era in which the light is all but driven from the galaxy. The Clone Wars were much more evenly matched.

More importantly ANH clearly stated that the Rebel Alliance had won their first true victory, meaning that any characters we see would have to loose most of the time unless they are independent. The Empire should be winning on all fronts during the events of the series.

It could be the case of this group doing well in small encounters, where it's practically one on one - if they are able to take out squadrons of TIEs/Stormtroopers, and take on Star Destroyers, then I'll be disappointed. It should be "They sent 3 TIEs after us - we can handle it. Oh? A Star Destroyer just hyperspaced in and is launching multiple wings of TIEs - get on those hyperspace calcs for an escape route. NOW!!!"

Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member
Posts: 2220
Joined: 2004-03-27 04:51am

Re: Star Wars: Rebels

Post by Adam Reynolds » 2014-06-11 12:31am

biostem wrote:It could be the case of this group doing well in small encounters, where it's practically one on one - if they are able to take out squadrons of TIEs/Stormtroopers, and take on Star Destroyers, then I'll be disappointed. It should be "They sent 3 TIEs after us - we can handle it. Oh? A Star Destroyer just hyperspaced in and is launching multiple wings of TIEs - get on those hyperspace calcs for an escape route. NOW!!!"
I would think so but given some of the battles we saw in The Clone Wars, I'm not exactly hopeful. My guess is that stormtroopers continually shoot at walls and are now put in the comedic role of battle droids. As for capital ships, they will likely fail to hit each other at point blank range (the worst case of this had to be against the Malevolence which is nearly 5km long and was clearly in visual range).

User avatar
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand
Posts: 19325
Joined: 2008-10-15 01:37am

Re: Star Wars: Rebels

Post by The Romulan Republic » 2014-06-13 06:34pm

I doubt they'll depict the stormtroopers the way the droids were depicted. Battle droids were used for humour a lot long before The Clone Wars. I'm not sure that's true for stormtroopers.

User avatar
DarthPooky
Padawan Learner
Posts: 209
Joined: 2014-04-26 10:55pm

Re: Star Wars: Rebels

Post by DarthPooky » 2014-06-14 12:25am

As for capital ships, they will likely fail to hit each other at point blank range (the worst case of this had to be against the Malevolence which is nearly 5km long and was clearly in visual range).

I was under the impression that the Malevolence's shield's were vary powerful and that the three venerators ware not enough to do the job.

User avatar
Darksider
Sith Acolyte
Posts: 5271
Joined: 2002-12-13 02:56pm
Location: America's decaying industrial armpit.
Contact:

Re: Star Wars: Rebels

Post by Darksider » 2014-06-14 04:00pm

The shields of the Malevolence were down, but the three Venators did appear to be hitting with at least one out of every three shots.

Which is still pathetic given the point blank ranges involved. TCW was really just embarrassing when it came to a lot of it's action scenes.
And this is why you don't watch anything produced by Ronald D. Moore after he had his brain surgically removed and replaced with a bag of elephant semen.-Gramzamber, on why Caprica sucks

Post Reply