Star Wars: Rebels

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

DarthPooky
Padawan Learner

Re: Star Wars: Rebels

Post by DarthPooky »

I was mistaken haven't seen that episode in a while.
jwl
Jedi Master

Post by jwl »

biostem wrote:I second the notion that I'd prefer it if this series was lighter on the force and more about "normies" making their way through this period of turmoil.
Seems to me to be the direction Disney is taking in general. What with this, the Han Solo and Boba Fett movies, and the Tarkin novel.
biostem
Jedi Master

Post by biostem »

jwl wrote:
biostem wrote:I second the notion that I'd prefer it if this series was lighter on the force and more about "normies" making their way through this period of turmoil.
Seems to me to be the direction Disney is taking in general. What with this, the Han Solo and Boba Fett movies, and the Tarkin novel.

After watching one of the character trailers, it seems they want the main character to *potentially* become a Jedi - as they specifically mention the older Jedi-in-hiding "seeing something" in him.

They also seem to have the big guy, Mandalorian, and rest of the group, all being elites...
jwl
Jedi Master

Post by jwl »

biostem wrote:
jwl wrote:

After watching one of the character trailers, it seems they want the main character to *potentially* become a Jedi - as they specifically mention the older Jedi-in-hiding "seeing something" in him.

They also seem to have the big guy, Mandalorian, and rest of the group, all being elites...
But when you consider that all of the old G-canon and the vast majority of the C-canon were based centrally around Jedi and Sith, it is a major step.
applejack
Padawan Learner

Post by applejack »

An extended trailer with some new scenes.

Highlights are a hologram of Obi-Wan Kenobi (Sounds like the same guy who did the voice in TCW) and a full but brief view of an Imperial Star Destroyer hovering in atmosphere.
Dear Lord, the gods have been good to me. As an offering, I present these milk and cookies. If you wish me to eat them instead, please give me no sign whatsoever *pauses* Thy will be done *munch munch munch*. - Homer Simpson
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Looks much better, I hope they don't turn the stormtroopers into reused droid animations.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

It really depends on how they handle the protagonists. If this crew are the main ones we follow around, the stormies might not do so hot. On the other hand, if they feature Rebel mooks (guest characters, other Rebel units, or even just some civilians in need of good ol' Imperial oppression order) they might get a good showing.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

I don't know if this has been posted yet, but, according to his IMDB page, Billy Dee Williams will be in Rebels.
applejack
Padawan Learner

Post by applejack »

Another trailer:

Highlights:
- C-3P0 and R2-D2 show up. Threepio kinda doesn't sound like Anthony Daniels, and the actor isn't mentioned by IMDB as being in Rebels
- Mention of Luminara Unduli as a prisoner rather than being dead
- AT-DPs being deployed onto the ground via a Gozanti Cruiser(?)
- Demonstration of Ezra's Force training/abilities
- Brief look at Kanan and the Inquisitor in a lightsaber duel
- Agent Kallus and the proto-Wookie fighting with electro-staffs
Dear Lord, the gods have been good to me. As an offering, I present these milk and cookies. If you wish me to eat them instead, please give me no sign whatsoever *pauses* Thy will be done *munch munch munch*. - Homer Simpson
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

The main Jedi character seems to use telekinesis in combat a lot. Isn't that usually a Sith thing?
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

For all we know, "Luminara Unduli" is a trap, and not even the real Jedi Master. But I guess we'll wait and see. If it is her, I have my doubts that she survives, since being a Jedi Master and all would tend to overshadow Kanan.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
applejack
Padawan Learner

Post by applejack »

RogueIce wrote:For all we know, "Luminara Unduli" is a trap, and not even the real Jedi Master. But I guess we'll wait and see. If it is her, I have my doubts that she survives, since being a Jedi Master and all would tend to overshadow Kanan.
Yeah, I was thinking this as well, though I suppose since she didn't die onscreen, there's nothing canonically to contradict her survival. Although I wonder what they'd be doing with her for 15 years... I mean, she would have to be quite a dangerous prisoner and a high break out risk.

Also, I noticed watching that video a second time that the Ghost outran an ISD. Either the ship is faster than the Millennium Falcon, or the ISD captain was just lazy and wanted his fighters to stop the ship.

Additionally, it looks like there was a TIE pilot - the guy who got grabbed by Zeb the proto-Wookie - with no helmet on at 1:51. So there's at least one Imperial mook with a face. There's also an Imperial officer (commander, I think) at 1:33, a really pale Imperial officer.
DarthPooky
Padawan Learner

Post by DarthPooky »

I notice that the stormtroopers blaster bolts look like the OT blaster bolts which I think is kind of cool.
applejack
Padawan Learner

Post by applejack »

More clips from SDCC. Looks like extended versions of a couple of the scenes from the "A Look Ahead" video.

And it looks like Kevin Kiner is doing the music for Rebels. The video below shows a combo of synthesizers and actual instruments.

applejack
Padawan Learner

Post by applejack »

Sorry for the double post, but seven minutes of the first episode has been posted.

Burak Gazan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Burak Gazan »

Gee
So, the Empire is made of crooks, incompetent retards, fat guys, and guys who can't shoot straight. This war should last about 10 minutes....

FAIL
In their quest for cool and their cute mix, these asses seem to have forgot everything about the originals, plus how to write.
oh well
"Of course, what would really happen is that in Game 7, with the Red Sox winning 20-0 in the 9th inning, with two outs and two strikes on the last Cubs batter, a previously unseen meteor would strike the earth, instantly and forever wiping out all life on the planet, and forever denying the Red Sox a World Series victory..."
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

After the completely inept seperatists, who could not even keep their inner circle from defecting, what do you expect?
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Burak Gazan wrote:Gee
So, the Empire is made of crooks, incompetent retards, fat guys, and guys who can't shoot straight. This war should last about 10 minutes

So... exactly like it's real world inspiration then? Which was full of crooks, incompetent fools, fat men, and were no better than average shots. This is wholly realistic

Other than General Veers and Tagge, every single officer in the OT who has dialogue makes some manner of serious mistake:

Captain Wermis: Allowed an escape pod to flee his ship because there are no life signs, even when he has been aware since he was a child that droids exist.
Tarkin: Refused to order a general launch of fighters even after hearing the words 'there is a danger'
Motti: Believed the Death Star was actually proof against rebel attack despite Tagge telling him otherwise.
Ozzel: As clumsy as he is stupid.
Piett: Managed to fly to within two ship lengths of the Second Death Star for no apparent reason.
Jerjerrod: Left large holes in his battle-station before an attack.

I'm not sure where you got the notion that the guys in the original films were some kind of super-officers.

It's actually interesting to me that the Imperial characters in the OT who don't fuck up are all army, while the navy guys keep dropping the ball.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

The new clip wasn't really good but it wasn't really bad. The Imperial guys were incompetent and that Tie at the end had weak firepower. And the animation seems worse than the animation in The Clone Wars. On the plus side, they still show people getting killed on screen, so it hasn't been completely watered down for little children. And seeing the old stormtroopers and Imperial ships on screen again is nice.

I'll probably get tired of this show quickly if it doesn't improve, but The Clone Wars got better later on (the initial movie was shitty as I recall).
Darksider
Sith Acolyte

Post by Darksider »

Sadly it looks as though this show will continue every trend I despised about TCW. Pathetically incompetent villains, mooks missing shots a ten year old with down's syndrome could make, and utterly half assed attempts at humor. TCW only rarely managed to rise above these downsides in its early seasons, and i'm expecting the same from Rebels. I only hope the creative team doesn't take another three years to get its shit together.

At the end of the day Rebels is going to be like seasons 1-3 of TCW. Its Star Wars for kids, which is fine, except i'm not a kid anymore. the more advanced and mature plotlines of Ep III and the EU were what drew my attention, and those appear to have gone away with the Disney sale.
And this is why you don't watch anything produced by Ronald D. Moore after he had his brain surgically removed and replaced with a bag of elephant semen.-Gramzamber, on why Caprica sucks
AniThyng
Sith Devotee

Post by AniThyng »

NecronLord wrote:
Burak Gazan wrote:Gee
So, the Empire is made of crooks, incompetent retards, fat guys, and guys who can't shoot straight. This war should last about 10 minutes

So... exactly like it's real world inspiration then? Which was full of crooks, incompetent fools, fat men, and were no better than average shots. This is wholly realistic

Other than General Veers and Tagge, every single officer in the OT who has dialogue makes some manner of serious mistake:

Captain Wermis: Allowed an escape pod to flee his ship because there are no life signs, even when he has been aware since he was a child that droids exist.
Tarkin: Refused to order a general launch of fighters even after hearing the words 'there is a danger'
Motti: Believed the Death Star was actually proof against rebel attack despite Tagge telling him otherwise.
Ozzel: As clumsy as he is stupid.
Piett: Managed to fly to within two ship lengths of the Second Death Star for no apparent reason.
Jerjerrod: Left large holes in his battle-station before an attack.

I'm not sure where you got the notion that the guys in the original films were some kind of super-officers.

It's actually interesting to me that the Imperial characters in the OT who don't fuck up are all army, while the navy guys keep dropping the ball.
Ehh wasn't Tagge Navy? ("Dangerous to your starfleet, but not this battlestation")
I do know how to spell
AniThyng is merely the name I gave to what became my favourite Baldur's Gate II mage character :P
Ted C
Sith Marauder

Post by Ted C »

"Rebels" is a rough transition for me. I'm still in S4 of "The Clone Wars", in which the Troopers are generally pretty competent. It sucks to see them transformed into mindless mooks.
"This is supposed to be a happy occasion... Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who."
-- The King of Swamp Castle, Monty Python and the Holy Grail

"Nothing of consequence happened today. " -- Diary of King George III, July 4, 1776

"This is not bad; this is a conspiracy to remove happiness from existence. It seeks to wrap its hedgehog hand around the still beating heart of the personification of good and squeeze until it is stilled."
-- Chuck Sonnenburg on Voyager's "Elogium"
applejack
Padawan Learner

Post by applejack »

AniThyng wrote:Ehh wasn't Tagge Navy? ("Dangerous to your starfleet, but not this battlestation")
The ANH script describes Tagge as a general. Of course, the introductory paragraph for that scene also refers to everybody there prior to the arrival of Tarkin and Vader as either a senator or general, including Admiral Motti, so Lucas could just be playing fast and loose with the terminology. Tagge is also called "Commander," which may be a generic term for a high level officer since Jerjerrod was also called this by Vader in ROTJ despite being a Moff.

As for Tagge's starfleet, I thought I remember speculation from years ago on this board that the Imperial Army has fleets attached to it and under its command to transfer troops and personnel between systems.

EDIT:
Ted C wrote:"Rebels" is a rough transition for me. I'm still in S4 of "The Clone Wars", in which the Troopers are generally pretty competent. It sucks to see them transformed into mindless mooks.
I wonder if the lower quality of troops has anything to do with the possibility that these may have been locally trained. There is mention of an Academy on Lothal. Perhaps (or rather, hopefully) Stormtroopers attached to the Inquisitor or some other high ranking figure from High Command will be of higher quality? *shrug*
Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Post by Adam Reynolds »

Ted C wrote:"Rebels" is a rough transition for me. I'm still in S4 of "The Clone Wars", in which the Troopers are generally pretty competent. It sucks to see them transformed into mindless mooks.
It's because they're now bad guys, they have to be incompetent in something like this. Look at how incompetent battle droids are in Clone Wars.
Darksider wrote:At the end of the day Rebels is going to be like seasons 1-3 of TCW. Its Star Wars for kids, which is fine, except i'm not a kid anymore. the more advanced and mature plotlines of Ep III and the EU were what drew my attention, and those appear to have gone away with the Disney sale.
Sadly it seems that even the tie in novels are currently all related to either The Clone Wars or Rebels. Perhaps more mature stories could be in the works for later next year as tie ins to the new movies which would logically be more adult oriented. There is now a 35 year gap that doesn't seem to have anything in it. That is nearly as wide as the gap between TPM and ROTJ. One random idea would be a special edition of Zahn's works that fits the new continuity, though that is probably wishful thinking.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

I think it's a little harsh blaming Jerjerrod for leaving large holes in his battle station before the attack. :lol:
Given his young (looking) age, I think being in the same position as Tarkin was, is pretty fucking impressive. I mean if your in your late 30's early 40's and the only two people in the galaxy you answer to is Vader and Palpatine, you may just be a super officer. :)
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"