Star Wars: Rebels

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Re: Star Wars: Rebels

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Eh, you could barely see Luke on Tatooine- he was just a moving speck, basically, wasn't he?

Introducing Pellaeon would be a good move, yes.

If only some but not all of the main cast die, though, it'll probably be Ezra and/or Bridger who are first on the chopping block, due to the difficulties (not insurmountable ones, but still present) with having active Jedi other than Kenobi/Yoda/Luke during the OT period.

The only one who I'm pretty sure is safe is Hera, because it is heavily implied that she's alive up to Rogue One, at least.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

You actually see Chopper in Rogue 1.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Burak Gazan wrote:Except, the GALACTIC Empire isn't composed of medievals and morons who barely capable of comprehending which end of a SPOON to use. There's glory and money enough for all.
No, there isn't.

To quote the ANH novellization:
The Old Republic was the Republic of legend, greater than distance or time. No need to note where it was or whence it came, only to know that... it was the Republic.

Once, under the wise rule of the Senate and the protection of the Jedi Knights, the Republic throve and grew. But as often happens when wealth and power pass beyond the admirable and attain the awesome, then appear those evil ones who have greed to match.
There is no limit to greed.

More generall, if you gave say, Grand Admiral Teshik, command of a vast fleet littered with fractalsponge's Star Dreadnoughts, and let him pick his crews, how long before he begins to think about being Emperor Teshik I?
Palpatine also has that Dark Side thing on his side, along with an Apprentice who tends to keep the unruly and power-seeking graspers in line. it's just lousy writing. It always was, and remains so
Vader isn't a be all and end all vs a military coup. Remember how Revan was originally defeated by Malak? Just blow him up from a warship and don't take any inbound calls he sends.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
eMeM
Padawan Learner

Post by eMeM »

Darth Tanner wrote:Are we? Luke looked much younger on Tattoine than he should if thats the case...
They used Ezra's model for Luke, so he is exactly as old as he should be.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

If Thrawn isn't the only grand admiral in the new EU, I can't help but wonder why Tagge was promoted to grand general and made de facto commander-in-chief of the Imperial military ABY.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Galvatron wrote:If Thrawn isn't the only grand admiral in the new EU, I can't help but wonder why Tagge was promoted to grand general and made de facto commander-in-chief of the Imperial military ABY.
the rank of grand admiral/general prestige rank similar to how the 5-star general/admiral rank works in the US military, it wouldn't grant any additional authority or duties in and of itself, but it would mark you as someone who the emperor deemed worthy of this honor and such would in theory grant you additional authority thru respect.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Thanas wrote:
Galvatron wrote:God, the old EU was silly. You've got an existential threat to the Empire in the form of an internal rebellion and you don't task your best military commanders with crushing them?

You mean like numerous real life empires did?

As a feudal empire/dictatorship you do not sent your best commanders into battle with rebels because they might get ideas to try out their own rebellion or join them. That is why the best troops in such nations are often commanded by utter incompetents while good officers go to waste on the frontiers.
I was thinking the same thing. Sometimes a brilliant/unorthodox officer is assigned shit duty or drummed out of the service entirely by jealous colleagues.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Burak Gazan wrote:Except, the GALACTIC Empire isn't composed of medievals and morons who barely capable of comprehending which end of a SPOON to use. There's glory and money enough for all. Palpatine also has that Dark Side thing on his side, along with an Apprentice who tends to keep the unruly and power-seeking graspers in line. it's just lousy writing. It always was, and remains so

Nice of you to ignore how I specifically mentioned modern dictatorships in there as well.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
DesertFly
has been designed to act as a flotation device

Post by DesertFly »

Darth Tanner wrote:
we're nearing the point where Rogue One starts
Are we? Luke looked much younger on Tattoine than he should if thats the case...
That was an odd thing, since Luke is literally the same age as Ezra, and of course Leia, who we saw earlier in the show, and they are both late teens. It was probably(?) a flashback from some earlier time in Kenobi's time on Tatooine, or perhaps metaphorical.
Proud member of the no sigs club.
Tiriol
Jedi Council Member

Post by Tiriol »

Lord Revan wrote:
Galvatron wrote:If Thrawn isn't the only grand admiral in the new EU, I can't help but wonder why Tagge was promoted to grand general and made de facto commander-in-chief of the Imperial military ABY.
the rank of grand admiral/general prestige rank similar to how the 5-star general/admiral rank works in the US military, it wouldn't grant any additional authority or duties in and of itself, but it would mark you as someone who the emperor deemed worthy of this honor and such would in theory grant you additional authority thru respect.
Part of Palpatine's decision to make Tagge Grand General and the one in charge of Imperial military was clearly to spite Vader. Given that Thrawn in Rebels answers to Tarkin, just being "grand" something doesn't turn one into supreme commander all by itself.
Confiteor Deo omnipotenti; beatae Mariae semper Virgini; beato Michaeli Archangelo; sanctis Apostolis, omnibus sanctis... Tibit Pater, quia peccavi nimis, cogitatione, verbo et opere, mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa! Kyrie Eleison!

The Imperial Senate (defunct) * Knights Astrum Clades * The Mess
Tiriol
Jedi Council Member

Post by Tiriol »

Thanas wrote:
Galvatron wrote:God, the old EU was silly. You've got an existential threat to the Empire in the form of an internal rebellion and you don't task your best military commanders with crushing them?

You mean like numerous real life empires did?

As a feudal empire/dictatorship you do not sent your best commanders into battle with rebels because they might get ideas to try out their own rebellion or join them. That is why the best troops in such nations are often commanded by utter incompetents while good officers go to waste on the frontiers.
Adding to what Thanas said: in the old EU the Twelve weren't necessarily the best military commanders (and old EU also ranked Admiral Piett along several Grand Admirals in military leadership and ability), but simply extra useful military personnel who needed rank to pull when going about their business. And we have at least one Grand Admiral going rogue (Zaarin) who managed to capture the Emperor himself - it wouldn't be surprising if the Emperor was just being properly paranoid by not making Grand Admiral nigh-omnipotent shoguns. They were apparently given rather specific, albeit wide-reaching, tasks: Thrawn was tasked with mapping out the Unknown Regions and building up Empire's bases there (the Empire of Hand), for example.

When it comes to Disney continuity, it seems that by the time of Rebels, most high-ranking officers are just as much politicians as they are soldiers (if Governor Pryce's specific request of having Thrawn and his Seventh Fleet is anything to go by), so there just might not be that many brilliant commanders available who could also play the game of politics well enough.
Galvatron wrote:Have we seen even one Jango Fett clone serving the Empire yet? You'd think we'd see them serving as generals and admirals during the OT if the Empire allowed them to.
It appears to me that even during the Clone Wars the clones were not given strategic command. Some clones seem to work on starship bridges as officers, but not as captains of entire ships; and all clones seem to be subservient to non-clone officers and, of course, the Jedi (even Jedi Padawans outrank clone commanders, who seem to be the highest-ranking clone officers around). I don't think that the Empire would be ready to accept clones as admirals or generals, since it would probably block ambitious natural-born Imperials' advancement opportunities.
Confiteor Deo omnipotenti; beatae Mariae semper Virgini; beato Michaeli Archangelo; sanctis Apostolis, omnibus sanctis... Tibit Pater, quia peccavi nimis, cogitatione, verbo et opere, mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa! Kyrie Eleison!

The Imperial Senate (defunct) * Knights Astrum Clades * The Mess
eMeM
Padawan Learner

Post by eMeM »

DesertFly wrote:
Darth Tanner wrote:
we're nearing the point where Rogue One starts
Are we? Luke looked much younger on Tattoine than he should if thats the case...
That was an odd thing, since Luke is literally the same age as Ezra
As I said, they literally used Season 3 Ezra's model.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Tiriol wrote:Part of Palpatine's decision to make Tagge Grand General and the one in charge of Imperial military was clearly to spite Vader. Given that Thrawn in Rebels answers to Tarkin, just being "grand" something doesn't turn one into supreme commander all by itself.
Makes sense. After all, there was a Grand General Loring who was based on Malastare, but apparently had nothing close to the power that Tagge did.
Tiriol wrote:It appears to me that even during the Clone Wars the clones were not given strategic command. Some clones seem to work on starship bridges as officers, but not as captains of entire ships; and all clones seem to be subservient to non-clone officers and, of course, the Jedi (even Jedi Padawans outrank clone commanders, who seem to be the highest-ranking clone officers around). I don't think that the Empire would be ready to accept clones as admirals or generals, since it would probably block ambitious natural-born Imperials' advancement opportunities.
In the canon section of Commander Cody's Wookieepedia entry, it says this: "With the support and recommendations of General Kenobi he rose to Marshal Commander, the highest rank a clone can hold."

After the Clone Wars, it wouldn't surprise me if veteran clonetroopers were tasked with training stormtroopers once they were too old to serve as troopers themselves. Their conditioning no doubt prevented the vast majority of them from taking offense at being glorified slaves and rebelling against the Empire.
Dartzap
Sith Acolyte

Post by Dartzap »

Rebels S4 trailer

I'm getting the distinct feeling that much of the crew is going to be offed. That or Hera is drunk.

Oh, and X-Wings finally appear.
EBC: Northeners, Huh! What are they good for?! Absolutely nothing! :P

Cybertron, Justice league...MM, HAB SDN City Watch: Sergeant Detritus

Days Unstabbed, Unabused, Unassualted and Unwavedatwithabutchersknife: 0
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

I love the wolves, and Kallus's new look.
Raesene
Jedi Master

Post by Raesene »

Season 4 will be the last one with only 15 episodes

link

"In view of the circumstances, Britannia waives the rules."

"All you have to do is to look at Northern Ireland, [...] to see how seriously the religious folks take "thou shall not kill. The more devout they are, the more they see murder as being negotiable." George Carlin

"We need to make gay people live in fear again! What ever happened to the traditional family values of persecution and lies?" - Darth Wong
"The closet got full and some homosexuals may have escaped onto the internet?"- Stormbringer

RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Bo Katan? FUCK YEAH!
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Ender
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ender »

Rukh is a skinny little sob

Ashoka being the wolf and talk of balance and all that...Eh....
بيرني كان سيفوز
Nuclear Navy Warwolf
in omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro
ipsa scientia potestas est
FedRebel
Jedi Master

Post by FedRebel »

Ezra and Kanaan are doomed by canon, the tone of Hera's monologue indicates bad things

Chopper and Hera are guaranteed to survive until Rogue One,

Hazarding a guess, Kanaan and Ezra sacrifice themselves to ensure the TIE Defender factory is destroyed
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

LOL, not every rebel before Luke Skywalker has to die. Nor does Kannan or Ezra, they can skip around that by them just not being Jedi. Expand on the Bendu thing.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Ender
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ender »

Knife wrote:LOL, not every rebel before Luke Skywalker has to die. Nor does Kannan or Ezra, they can skip around that by them just not being Jedi. Expand on the Bendu thing.
Nah, kill em. Not like heroic deaths either, have then die in bog standard repression. Have Ezra jaywalk on those empty Lothal highways and get gunned down by a cop or something. The shows have done enough Nazi apologetics, go ahead and remind folks "oh yeah, the Empire is FUCKING EVIL"
بيرني كان سيفوز
Nuclear Navy Warwolf
in omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro
ipsa scientia potestas est
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

The show's been doing plenty to show that the Empire is fucking evil, starting with the opening scene. Unfortunately it also shows them to be mainly bumbling incompetents.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

PeZook's stories of the Nazi occupation of Poland depicts both aspects actually.
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Knife wrote:LOL, not every rebel before Luke Skywalker has to die. Nor does Kannan or Ezra, they can skip around that by them just not being Jedi. Expand on the Bendu thing.
Even if they don't consider themselves Jedi others will and they probably have knowledge of the Jedi that Luke doesn't after ANH. So them not being Jedi doesn't explain why Luke won't seek them out to learn what he can from them.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

There are ways Kanan and Ezra can be "unavaible" that don't involve a bodycount (or at least them being part of the bodycount) for example they could MIA presumed dead after an operation went south even if it technically succeeded or they went to do what ever Luke went to do before TFA only earlier and no one knows where they went.

Both of those options would leave Kanan and Ezra to be "unavaible" to instruct Luke on the ways of the Jedi, seeing as I dout rebel command is willing to allow Luke to go on quest that could possibly take decades to try find people who they're not certain are even alive anymore.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n