Star Wars: Rebels

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

FedRebel
Jedi Master

Re: Star Wars: Rebels

Post by FedRebel »

Just had a Brain fart...

"We are the balance Ezra, we were meant to be Jedi so we could be here now when Lothal needs us most "

Thought occurs, it was the will of the Force that Kanan and Ezra met, what if that didn't happen?

TIE Defenders go into production
The Inquisitors aren't killed off

Imagine TIE Defenders at Yavin, Luke being hunted down by the Inquisitors.

If not for the will of the Force, the shroud of darkness would thicken

Kanan and Ezra are doomed by canon, but that doesn't mean their deaths are shallow, they play a very important part in the grander scheme allowing the light to blossom once more through Skywalker
Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Post by Adam Reynolds »

RogueIce wrote: If you're talking about Filoni's shirt as the source behind this, we have no idea if that was legit or if he's still trolling people about the whole thing.
Maybe, but it would not be the first time he did something like this. I believe he also canonized the idea that Rex was on Endor in the same fashion.
FedRebel wrote:If not for the will of the Force, the shroud of darkness would thicken

Kanan and Ezra are doomed by canon, but that doesn't mean their deaths are shallow, they play a very important part in the grander scheme allowing the light to blossom once more through Skywalker
Ezra's character arc in particular is largely about him realizing that it is not his destiny to destroy the Sith, but that what he does matters in other ways.
Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Post by Adam Reynolds »

The novel Thrawn has an interesting revelation that might hint towards Thrawn's fate against the Rebel Alliance: Spoiler
Unlike the Legends version of the character, in this version Thrawn was always loyal to the Ascendancy, and his apparent exile is in actuality a plot so that he can benefit the Ascendancy as opposed to the Empire. So perhaps he abandons the Empire and rejoins the Ascendancy at some point when he realizes that the Empire will inevitably lose to the Rebel Alliance.

There are also hints that the Yuzhan Vong or something like it is still out there, which also likely ties into Snoke and the formation of the First Order.

It is also possible that Thrawn is primarily interested in the superior power winning at any cost, and doesn't care if that is actually the Rebel Alliance. It would certainly explain his behavior nicely, in which he seems interested in weening out lousy Imperial officers as much as he is in crushing the Rebellion.
As a side note, it apparently also has an amusing line "Even when false, legends can be most informative." Nice summary of the new relationship betwee the new EU and the old.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

I just finished the novel myself and came to the same conclusion.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

He can be Revolver Thrawncelot and is playing all sides as a quadruple-agent so the galaxy that The Boss envisioned can come true! Hence the parasitic midichlorians designed by the Bendu whose speaking in parables and riddles makes him a CODETALKER, parasites which will be the basis of the NANOMACHINES the Empire will use, which will be hacked into the GUNS OF THE PARTISANS as Outer Jedha is envisioned!

It's really ridiculous that the Emperor and the Imperial military could be so easily and openly penetrated by some outside agent whose motives they don't know... then again, Group Captain Mandrake was able to influence the USAF's Strategic Air Command when one of its commanders lost his shit.
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

You should read the book. Thrawn's motives were never concealed from the Emperor.
Ender
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ender »

Galvatron wrote:You should read the book. Thrawn's motives were never concealed from the Emperor.

Yeah. Like, that fact basically IS the key to the plot. The denouement is the reveal of Nightswan's identity,which ties in the political arc of the novel to reveal him as an even greater opponent than perceived, and the resolution comes in the form of Thrawn telling the truth, revealing how his motivations and bargains had provided him the resources to defend against what Nightswan had been doing on Coruscant and in the Admirality as well.
بيرني كان سيفوز
Nuclear Navy Warwolf
in omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro
ipsa scientia potestas est
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Adam Reynolds wrote:The novel Thrawn has an interesting revelation that might hint towards Thrawn's fate against the Rebel Alliance: Spoiler
Unlike the Legends version of the character, in this version Thrawn was always loyal to the Ascendancy, and his apparent exile is in actuality a plot so that he can benefit the Ascendancy as opposed to the Empire. So perhaps he abandons the Empire and rejoins the Ascendancy at some point when he realizes that the Empire will inevitably lose to the Rebel Alliance.

There are also hints that the Yuzhan Vong or something like it is still out there, which also likely ties into Snoke and the formation of the First Order.

It is also possible that Thrawn is primarily interested in the superior power winning at any cost, and doesn't care if that is actually the Rebel Alliance. It would certainly explain his behavior nicely, in which he seems interested in weening out lousy Imperial officers as much as he is in crushing the Rebellion.
As a side note, it apparently also has an amusing line "Even when false, legends can be most informative." Nice summary of the new relationship betwee the new EU and the old.
I can see Thrawn playing both sides. Or, rather, his position being "I'm loyal to you as long as you're winning."

But then, wouldn't it stand to reason that he would side with the First Order, if he was alive by the time TFA rolled around?

Or, given that no one seems in a terribly strong position in TFA, could he be sitting it out, waiting to support whoever emerges in the strongest position at a critical moment?
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

What is the Nightswan?
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:What is the Nightswan?
Thrawn's Moriarty, essentially.
The Romulan Republic wrote:But then, wouldn't it stand to reason that he would side with the First Order, if he was alive by the time TFA rolled around?
It wouldn't surprise me, especially given the ending of Aftermath: Empire's End.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

FedRebel wrote:Just had a Brain fart...

"We are the balance Ezra, we were meant to be Jedi so we could be here now when Lothal needs us most "

Thought occurs, it was the will of the Force that Kanan and Ezra met, what if that didn't happen?

TIE Defenders go into production
The Inquisitors aren't killed off

Imagine TIE Defenders at Yavin, Luke being hunted down by the Inquisitors.

If not for the will of the Force, the shroud of darkness would thicken

I will reiterate that I do not feel canon obliges that Kanan and Ezra die, and honestly, I find that argument rather lacking in imagination, though the new teaser does make it seem more likely that it will happen anyway.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

Lego Star Wars spoils the fate of some of the crew. Not really relevant to Rebels except for point 3 in the article.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

More fodder for my theory that the Ghost becomes Mon Mothma's Air Force One.
eMeM
Padawan Learner

Post by eMeM »

LEGO cartoons aren't canon, tho. (Or are they?)

On the other hand Forces of Destiny will be canon and they said one short will have Hera meet Leia on Endor.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Battlefront II will also be canon and involve Inferno Squad on Endor. Maybe Hera will show up there too.

se.

I wonder where these guys were when the rebels and ewoks were making fools of the stormtroopers at the shield generator base.
DesertFly
has been designed to act as a flotation device

Post by DesertFly »

Just around the corner, obv.
Proud member of the no sigs club.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

DesertFly wrote:Just around the corner, obv.
Perhaps there were oppositional super-Rebels who cancelled them out?
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Been catching up with Rebels again, plus with scenes in Rogue One, the Rebel Alliance is fragmented and dominated by a few sects who are more willing to act than others. Shouldn't surprise anyone that some groups do operations others would not.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
DesertFly
has been designed to act as a flotation device

Post by DesertFly »

Gandalf wrote:
DesertFly wrote:Just around the corner, obv.
Perhaps there were oppositional super-Rebels who cancelled them out?
Imperials with anti-Imperials?
Proud member of the no sigs club.
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

Galvatron wrote:Battlefront II will also be canon and involve Inferno Squad on Endor. Maybe Hera will show up there too.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kae-JjbLsgA[youtube]se.

I wonder where these guys were when the rebels and ewoks were making fools of the stormtroopers at the shield generator base.
"That's the point, Sergeant." :lol:
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Galvatron wrote:Battlefront II will also be canon and involve Inferno Squad on Endor. Maybe Hera will show up there too.

se.

Remember the front entrance of the bunker they didn't go to? There.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

I can't tell if you're kidding or not, but why would Inferno Squad hang around the front entrance even after Han's team was captured and especially after the ewoks attacked.

On another note, I just finished the Ahsoka novel. Like the Thrawn novel, it all takes place prior to Rebels so we learn nothing about her fate. Other than her interaction with an Inquisitor and Bail Organa, I thought it was rather dull and uneventful.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Galvatron wrote:I can't tell if you're kidding or not, but why would Inferno Squad hang around the front entrance even after Han's team was captured and especially after the ewoks attacked.

On another note, I just finished the Ahsoka novel. Like the Thrawn novel, it all takes place prior to Rebels so we learn nothing about her fate. Other than her interaction with an Inquisitor and Bail Organa, I thought it was rather dull and uneventful.
IIRC the imperial commanders thought that rebel/ewok attack was the decoy attack and therefore didn't deploy their main force to counter it, remember just because we know that Han's group was the main strike team it doesn't mean the imperials knew that.

Bad call from the imperials for sure but not an unjustified call.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

I thought the Imperials knew that the rebels came in on the Tyderium. Palpatine knew enough to refer to them as a "pitiful little band."
Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Post by Adam Reynolds »

Galvatron wrote:I thought the Imperials knew that the rebels came in on the Tyderium. Palpatine knew enough to refer to them as a "pitiful little band."
The Battlefront games seem to imply a much larger Rebel force than the film.