Star Wars: Rebels

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Re: Star Wars: Rebels

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

eMeM wrote: Then he gets the report of the rebels attacking the east gate, tells Pryce he will "play their game" and orders to deploy the walkers.
Perfect opportunity to let them go so the rest of the Alliance learns about the red herring fighter. But...

"Attention walkers. Disregard the speeders. That AT-DP is under Rebel control. Destroy it."
That was one of my earlier responses before I talked about the red herring thing. In that post I said that for Thrawn he had no reason to guess that it was the Ghost crew and thus the rebels-spies would have been non-persons-of-interest and thus kill-able. :D
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

I wonder if Thrawn is a pilot. If so, I wouldn't be surprised if we end up seeing him fly a TIE defender.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

You know what me and my friendos keep on imagining? He's voiced by the guy who played Magnusson in the Sherlock series. So I'm just imagining that he'll walk in on the Rebel base, talk smack to Ezra and Kanan and then take a piss on their holotank. Then he'll lick Hera.
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

Galvatron wrote:I wonder if Thrawn is a pilot. If so, I wouldn't be surprised if we end up seeing him fly a TIE defender.
I would. Thrawn isn't an action hero; he has no need to personally fly fighters. He's got people for that. His job is the grand strategy.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

I guess you haven't read all the Thrawn stuff that's out there. Off the top of my head, he disguised himself as Jodo Kast for an infiltration mission and personally led a squad of stormtroopers into combat on Tatooine.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Thrawn personally led that mission on Tatooine because of personal reasons - because according to his EU-LEGENDS INTERESTING BACKSTORY see once upon a time he stubbed his toe and Greedo's aunt's womp rat's bantha's cousin's mailman's droid's repairman's slave owner's apprentice's holocron's poodoo's moisture collector's Kylo's meesa's bombad's dellow felegate gave him a super rare khyber bacta crystal ointment to regenerate his toenail and give it a manicure that is why young Thrawn went there to pay his respects to Greedo's aunt's womp rat's bantha's cousin's mailman's droid's repairman's slave owner's apprentice's holocron's poodoo's moisture collector's Kylo's meesa's dellow felegate because it turns out this Greedo's aunt's womp rat's bantha's cousin's mailman's droid's repairman's slave owner's apprentice's holocron's poodoo's moisture collector's Kylo's meesa's bombad's dellow felegate was what inspired Thrawn to go EUREKA and write on a piece of holo-napkin the design specifications of this incredible turbovibratanium-coated spherical mass of neutronium multi-stage metagigajoulowatt-level hyperwave babbulating phase variance shifting power overwhelming mega-walker MANDOMETAL GEAR battlestationshipfighterbomber that Kuat Drive Yards designed to fight a mysterious extragalactic threat that Palpatine foresaw and hid in this lost dark shadow fire moon that only Skywalker can go and oh no the thinggy was corrupted by SITH HOLOCRONS and Palpatine's clonely gender-bent cyborg prototype cleaning lady infused with his SUPERIOR DOMINANT GENES SNAAAKE and giving her genetic memory loathing of all Skywalkers was there and there had to be this epic battle and Luke nearly went to the Dark Side but it was OK and he won and there was this big assplosion and the entire galaxy was saved and Mon Mothra gave a sigh of relief and gave Luke a medal but it was all part of Thrawn's plan and that's why he went to Tatooine and he saw the giant dick holo-graffiti Anakin drew on Watto's shed and he realized the psychocultural implications of this piece of arts and learned the Skywalker family's terrible secret weakness that he will use on Luke later when he bides his time just right in time for when the Lord Marshall and his Necromandos come back from the underverse to take back what's theirs DUN DUN DUN.
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Post by Adam Reynolds »

Here is something interesting: The ship class of the Ghost at the very least looks like it might make an appearance in Rogue One.

Burak Gazan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Burak Gazan »

Not to be cruel :) but it would be a smack in the snout, if that ship there, whoever it is, just caught a stray turbolaser bolt and was vaporized :twisted: Just sayin' :P it's a possible nice easter egg. But that's about it
"Of course, what would really happen is that in Game 7, with the Red Sox winning 20-0 in the 9th inning, with two outs and two strikes on the last Cubs batter, a previously unseen meteor would strike the earth, instantly and forever wiping out all life on the planet, and forever denying the Red Sox a World Series victory..."
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Burak Gazan wrote:Not to be cruel :) but it would be a smack in the snout, if that ship there, whoever it is, just caught a stray turbolaser bolt and was vaporized :twisted: Just sayin' :P it's a possible nice easter egg. But that's about it
Killing of a "hero" ship in a cameo doesn't seem something like either Lucasfilm or Disney would do even symbolically, besides we've seen ships of the similar size class and type take turbolaser bolts strong enough to cause the ship to bank unintentionally so it's not likely a single shot would take out a VCX-1000(or what ever it was called).

Still like the hammer heads I suspect this ship will backround only (unless Vanessa Marshall is making a cameo, most likely voice only).
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

I just discovered this video series and thought it would be of relevance here.

Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

Yeah, they've been doing those for every episode since season one.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

So, Thrawn has a theme now, which he hasn't had since the TIE Fighter game. Personally, I prefer the version in Rebels, but TF was pretty good. Have a listen:

Star Wars Rebels - Thrawn's Arrival Audio Cue | StarWars.com
Star Wars Rebels - Thrawn's Web Audio Cue | StarWars.com
Star Wars Rebels - Thrawn's True Face Audio Cue | StarWars.com

"Thrawn's Arrival" certainly provides an excellent introduction for the titular Grand Admiral, and is appropriately sinister while maintaining an air of menace. "Thrawn's Web" is his theme on full display, and if you want a generic "Thrawn's Theme" akin to the Imperial March of the Emperor's Theme from Episode VI, this is pretty much it. "Thrawn's True Face" is an excellent exploration of the theme: starting off slow and sinister as Thrawn sets up his demonstration, with the theme coming back in a booming, intimidating manner as he makes his lethal point before finishing off on an almost melancholy and sad variation as the reality of what he's done sinks in for Ezra. Brilliant, utterly brilliant.

I can never, ever give enough praise for what Kevin Kiner has contributed to the Star Wars musical legacy ever since The Clone Wars came out in theaters - whatever you thought about the movie itself, give the soundtrack a listen because there's a lot to appreciate - and since then over two TV shows (and hopefully more!) he has continued to build an enduring legacy that is worthy of being in the same Galaxy as John William's epic scores from 1977.

Just because I can't express it enough doesn't mean I won't try when the opportunity arises, though. ;)
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Rouge 9 wrote:Yeah, they've been doing those for every episode since season one.
Which surprises me since they're not dutifully posted here for dullards like me. :P
RougeIce wrote:I can never, ever give enough praise for what Kevin Kiner has contributed to the Star Wars musical legacy ever since The Clone Wars came out in theaters - whatever you thought about the movie itself, give the soundtrack a listen because there's a lot to appreciate - and since then over two TV shows (and hopefully more!) he has continued to build an enduring legacy that is worthy of being in the same Galaxy as John William's epic scores from 1977.
I'll look into his stuff. I'm sure it's all over YouTube. Thanks for the tip.
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Galvatron wrote:I'll look into his stuff. I'm sure it's all over YouTube. Thanks for the tip.
It is indeed. A few recommendations, if I may:

First of all, Ahsoka's Theme. As you can imagine, it had plenty of variations throughout the course of the shows (plural, as she was in Rebels as well as I'm sure you know. this track is obviously the primary one, but you can listen to the first 45 seconds of this song for a nice little variation of it.

Landing on Teth is also pretty dang cool, with a nice brassy military fanfare that transitions to a nice 'wailing woman' type of song before continuing on with the military theme.

And from Rebels, listen to Twin Moons for some mad feels.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Truth be told, I haven't been impressed by most of John Williams' recent stuff so I really wouldn't mind if someone else took over the job of scoring the movies (so long as they keep using the classic themes when appropriate).

Kevin Kiner might be ideal since he's been doing that for years.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Eh, Williams did some good work on Force Awakens- some of the score wasn't that memorable, but I love Rey's theme.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Good isn't good enough for Star Wars, IMO. These movies need an operatic score like the OT did, not the meandering ramble that we've been getting recently. A good character theme here and there is wasted, IMO, if the rest of the music is like white noise, but I think we've had this discussion before.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

I would argue that it's because of JJ Abrams' spastic narrative - the soundtrack is not allowed time to just... melt into the whole thing and marinate it. Like Williams' OST in the OT, the narrative had moments just to let things sink in. Or like how in Leone and even Tarantino movies, they let the Morricone soundtrack shine, there's moments of quiet and stillness, of "negative space" so the music and such is what fills us, in a way working to contrast with the rest of the events that'll happen after those still-moments, or to decompress when some epic thing has just passed. JJ Abrams' frantic narrative doesn't allow for these openings. I bet a Williams' Star Wars soundtrack would still work in, say, a Tarantino thing with Brad Pitt killing Nazzies, because of those scene-chewing moments where the soundtrack is given the star treatment - and it would work better than in the Abrams' Force Awakens scenes.
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Then hopefully Rian Johnson will allow John Williams to shine.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

He's working with Gareth Edwards, the director of the movie who also directed Godzilla, right? If that's the case, I'm hopeful. Look at what he did with the HALO scene in Godzilla, with Gyorgy Ligeti's Requiem straight outta 2001 Space Odyssey's Monolith scenes, and how he sold the rest of that movie by going all Jaws like and using anticipation and music and staging (some would disagree with this) rather than in your face frantic shit, and the Chinatown scenes...

Man I wanna watch that Godzilla again.
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

John Williams didn't score Rogue One.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Oh? You said Williams in your previous post! :P
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Post by Adam Reynolds »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:Oh? You said Williams in your previous post! :P
Rian Johnson is directing Star Wars 8, Gareth Edwards is directing Rogue One.
Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Post by Adam Reynolds »

That was fairly interesting overall.

For some reason I generally disliked most of the portrayals of the Force in Clone Wars when they used ideas like this but it doesn't bother me at all here.

Though the problem here is that we already know that nothing either Maul or the heroes do will influence the end result, as we know that nothing will happen to either Obi-Wan or Luke.
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:I would argue that it's because of JJ Abrams' spastic narrative - the soundtrack is not allowed time to just... melt into the whole thing and marinate it. Like Williams' OST in the OT, the narrative had moments just to let things sink in. Or like how in Leone and even Tarantino movies, they let the Morricone soundtrack shine, there's moments of quiet and stillness, of "negative space" so the music and such is what fills us, in a way working to contrast with the rest of the events that'll happen after those still-moments, or to decompress when some epic thing has just passed. JJ Abrams' frantic narrative doesn't allow for these openings. I bet a Williams' Star Wars soundtrack would still work in, say, a Tarantino thing with Brad Pitt killing Nazzies, because of those scene-chewing moments where the soundtrack is given the star treatment - and it would work better than in the Abrams' Force Awakens scenes.
Apparently Willams wasn't allowed to see the whole movie, but merely clips because of secrecy.
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.