SW Basic = English

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

I think it should be chalked up to the Simpson's dealing with how aliens speak English. "Due to an astonishing coincidence, our two languages are exactly the same."
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
IRG CommandoJoe
Sith Devotee

Post by IRG CommandoJoe »

LOL I loved that line.
Who's the more foolish, the fool or the fool who follows him? -Obi-Wan Kenobi

"In the unlikely event that someone comes here, hates everything we stand for, and then donates a big chunk of money anyway, I will thank him for his stupidity." -Darth Wong, Lord of the Sith

Proud member of the Brotherhood of the Monkey.
Tychu
Jedi Master

Post by Tychu »

you cant go by visual evidence. We find that in the Ewok movies that have to take place before ROTJ since Wicket is younger in Ewok movies. The human characters seem to be speaking English but when ROTJ comes along the ewoks seem to have no idea what Leia is saying meaning the two diffrent main characters in each movie spoke diffrent languages in the SW universe.

and saying English = basic just brings up the other SW major question, why are there humans and why do the bad guys speak in british accents?
"Boring Conversation anyway" Han Solo

"What kinda archeologist carries a weapon........Bad Example" Colonel Jack O'Neil

"My name is Olo... Hans Olo" -Dr. Daniel Jackson

"Well you did make the Farmingdale Run in less than 12 parsecs" --Personal Quote

"Just popped out for lunch" - Rowan Atkinson as Mr. Bean
Darth Yoshi
Metroid

Post by Darth Yoshi »

Tychu wrote:and saying English = basic just brings up the other SW major question, why are there humans and why do the bad guys speak in british accents?
Like in Thumb Wars. "Why do we all speak with british accents when we are in space and there is no britain?" Rather than rationalizing the accent, though, Lord Helmet just popped the mans head off. LOL!
Fragment of the Lord of Nightmares, release thy heavenly retribution. Blade of cold, black nothingness: become my power, become my body. Together, let us walk the path of destruction and smash even the souls of the Gods! RAGNA BLADE!
Lore Monkey | the Pichu-master™
Secularism—since AD 80
Av: Elika; Prince of Persia
Jim Raynor
Sith Devotee

Post by Jim Raynor »

Tychu wrote:you cant go by visual evidence. We find that in the Ewok movies that have to take place before ROTJ since Wicket is younger in Ewok movies. The human characters seem to be speaking English but when ROTJ comes along the ewoks seem to have no idea what Leia is saying meaning the two diffrent main characters in each movie spoke diffrent languages in the SW universe.

and saying English = basic just brings up the other SW major question, why are there humans and why do the bad guys speak in british accents?
I've never seen the Ewok TV movies, but to what extent does Wicket learn English/Basic/whatever language the kid was speaking? Do any of the other Ewoks learn it? If they only learned the extreme basics of the language, it is possible that they could have forgotten it by ROTJ, since they have no actual use for it in daily life. Or maybe Wicket just doesn't learn languages very well? I've basically forgotten all the Spanish and Chinese I took in High School last year.
His Divine Shadow
Commence Primary Ignition

Re: Hehe...

Post by His Divine Shadow »

FireNexus wrote:Suspension of disbelief, my friend.

We saw them speaking english in the movie, thus they did.

:)
Yes, I have to agree, we have visual evidence.
Obviously humans in SW are descended from Earth, wasn't there someone who claimed it was Drew Barrymore? :D :p
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who did not.
Soontir C'boath
SG-14: Fuck the Medic!
Location: Queens, NYC I DON'T FUCKING CARE IF MANHATTEN IS CONSIDERED NYC!! I'M IN IT ASSHOLE!!!

Post by Soontir C'boath »

Basic is English. :!:

I just bought me a shirt that says Imperial Forces and on the bottom of it the basic language of the two words. I is equal to a 1 in basic. And the others I can't do b/c they're diff. unknown letters. I'll scan it sometime today.

Cyaround,
Jason
I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season."