TIE Fighter Anime (No Sound)

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Stark
Emperor's Hand

Re: TIE Fighter Anime (No Sound)

Post by Stark »

Maybe you're just really limited in what you consider 'not anime' style. Is Ben 10 'anime' too? Why would it even matter beyond the need to other-ise things you don't like?
Lord Relvenous
Jedi Council Member

Post by Lord Relvenous »

The creator gave his permission to another youtuber to add SFX and music to the clip. Here it is with sounds taken from the Star Wars movies.

Coyote: Warm it in the microwave first to avoid that 'necrophelia' effect.
Darksider
Sith Acolyte

Post by Darksider »

Stark wrote:Maybe you're just really limited in what you consider 'not anime' style. Is Ben 10 'anime' too? Why would it even matter beyond the need to other-ise things you don't like?
I'm not saying I don't like it, i'm just saying the character design reminds me of Anime. Especially the ISD captain at the end who does the sweeping arm gesture thing that i've seen in like every Sci-Fi anime ever.
And this is why you don't watch anything produced by Ronald D. Moore after he had his brain surgically removed and replaced with a bag of elephant semen.-Gramzamber, on why Caprica sucks
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Are you now saying a sweeping arm gesture is 'anime'? Could you help us by defining the meaning of this term?
Darksider
Sith Acolyte

Post by Darksider »

The thing where he waves his hand forward dramatically when giving the order to fire.
And this is why you don't watch anything produced by Ronald D. Moore after he had his brain surgically removed and replaced with a bag of elephant semen.-Gramzamber, on why Caprica sucks
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

I mean the term 'anime', jackass. If you're grabbing random shit like 'waves arm', I could probably just as easily say its an in-flight instructional video or perhaps a podrace. After all, those things share elements with this video! :lol:
Darksider
Sith Acolyte

Post by Darksider »

I define anime pretty much how everyone else does. A cartoon made in Japan.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

You are being purposely obtuse. Define what makes the sweeping arm gesture of the evil bad guy commanding his troops to attack, which I have seen a million times and I hate Japanese Anime for the most part, meaning, I barely watch it, "anime".

Are you saying being overly dramatic is "anime"?
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
AniThyng
Sith Devotee

Post by AniThyng »

Havok wrote:You are being purposely obtuse. Define what makes the sweeping arm gesture of the evil bad guy commanding his troops to attack, which I have seen a million times and I hate Japanese Anime for the most part, meaning, I barely watch it, "anime".

Are you saying being overly dramatic is "anime"?
As one of the orignal posters who liked the whole sweeping arm thing and thought it to be one of the animesque elements of this whole vid, i'd hazard it's more like a lot of anime, especially space opera anime, makes a habit of being overly dramatic. Make of that what you will. ;)
I do know how to spell
AniThyng is merely the name I gave to what became my favourite Baldur's Gate II mage character :P
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

In a word, awesome.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
chitoryu12
Jedi Council Member

Post by chitoryu12 »

I understand what he means about the dramatic arm sweep; such overdramatic gestures, especially that particular one, are quite common in anime, especially action-oriented ones like this.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Personally when I saw it I was thinking the animation reminded me of a Daft Punk DVD I saw at a friend's place. Thought this clip was awesome.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Korgeta
Padawan Learner

Post by Korgeta »

That was amazing, I liked the helmet then shift to actual face it actually brought up tension and gave a reminder TIE fighters are commanded by normal people and not just guys in masks. Really detailed work, I wonder if this short clip was a showcase in trying to give Lucasfilms a new project to work on but was never accepted? I would find it hard to believe that they or even Disney would not had taken notice of this but it is very good.
jollyreaper
Jedi Master

Post by jollyreaper »

This art style is such an improvement over the stylized look of the Clone Wars.

As a personal nit, I do hate how anime and manga skew towards making everyone look like kids. It's fine to have a few young characters but the Star Wars manga had Han look like a teenager doing cosplay. Luke really is supposed to be a kid more or less, the right age for going to the academy. Han is supposed to be an established smuggler.

Anyway, this guy's work is very good. Can't wait to see where he's going with it.
biostem
Jedi Master

Post by biostem »

I really like how the senior pilot gets the Interceptor, and how they correctly located the ion engines on the command pod of the Bomber. The selectable ordinance and power adjustments were a nice touch and reminded me of TIE Fighter. While I can see the stylistic benefit in it, I thought the contrails and the bomber kicking up dust when it neared the asteroid were a bit out of place. They should have shown more TIEs getting destroyed in the battle, (save the hero characters), but otherwise it is an excellent piece!