Dawn of the Jedi thread

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Ire
Youngling
Posts: 75
Joined: 2012-02-13 07:28am

Dawn of the Jedi thread

Postby Ire » 2012-02-14 05:45pm

What has been some of the thoughts about the concepts introduced in issue 0?

User avatar
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand
Posts: 12924
Joined: 2003-11-10 12:36am
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Re: Dawn of the Jedi thread

Postby Stofsk » 2012-02-14 10:47pm

Can you give a little more information? Perhaps summarise what is in (I'm guessing) the comic?
Image

Ire
Youngling
Posts: 75
Joined: 2012-02-13 07:28am

Re: Dawn of the Jedi thread

Postby Ire » 2012-02-15 07:11am

It was mostly introduction into the era. It showed that Ashla and Bogan were terms derived from Tython's moons. The Infinite Empire developed the predecessors to Lightsabers and background to the characters appearing

User avatar
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder
Posts: 4854
Joined: 2011-04-22 11:04pm
Location: Ocularis Terribus.

Re: Dawn of the Jedi thread

Postby Ahriman238 » 2012-02-15 06:36pm

Ire wrote:It was mostly introduction into the era. It showed that Ashla and Bogan were terms derived from Tython's moons. The Infinite Empire developed the predecessors to Lightsabers and background to the characters appearing


...

Still waiting on that explanation. What, besides yet another Star Wars comic, is Dawn of the Jedi? When and where does it take place in relation to other Star Wars stories? Who are the characters? What is the inifinite empire?

So far, I'm getting that it's some sort of prequel, probably about the origins of the Jedi Order, which feels like a really bad idea.
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud

Ire
Youngling
Posts: 75
Joined: 2012-02-13 07:28am

Re: Dawn of the Jedi thread

Postby Ire » 2012-02-15 08:29pm

When and where does it take place in relation to other Star Wars stories?

It's set before the Force Wars
It spans over 36,000 BBY to 25,000 BBY
Apparently the early predecessors of the Jedi known as Je'dii were more concerned with balancing the sides of the force rather than one side. So light siders and dark siders were equally screwed and got sent to Tython's moons
Who are the characters?

Not completely sure who's been introduced first in the actual book. I only have issue 0 so it's introducing most of the minor and main characters. I assume the mains are Tasha Ryo, Sek'nos Rath, Shae Koda and Xesh
What is the inifinite empire?

Spellchecker didn't catch it Infinite Empire. The Rakata
So far, I'm getting that it's some sort of prequel, probably about the origins of the Jedi Order, which feels like a really bad idea.

How exactly? It's a complete blank slate :?

User avatar
Panzersharkcat
Jedi Council Member
Posts: 1693
Joined: 2011-02-28 05:36am

Re: Dawn of the Jedi thread

Postby Panzersharkcat » 2012-02-16 01:20am

To specify about the Rakata, they're the ones who built the Star Forge in Knights of the Old Republic.
"I'm just reading through your formspring here, and your responses to many questions seem to indicate that you are ready and willing to sacrifice realism/believability for the sake of (sometimes) marginal increases in gameplay quality. Why is this?"
"Because until I see gamers sincerely demanding that if they get winged in the gut with a bullet that they spend the next three hours bleeding out on the ground before permanently dying, they probably are too." - J.E. Sawyer
Panzersharkcat.9706 | Jade Quarry; Battle.net: BigBug#1199

User avatar
AMT
Jedi Knight
Posts: 864
Joined: 2008-11-21 12:26pm

Re: Dawn of the Jedi thread

Postby AMT » 2012-02-16 07:58am

Ahriman238 wrote:
Ire wrote:It was mostly introduction into the era. It showed that Ashla and Bogan were terms derived from Tython's moons. The Infinite Empire developed the predecessors to Lightsabers and background to the characters appearing


...

Still waiting on that explanation. What, besides yet another Star Wars comic, is Dawn of the Jedi? When and where does it take place in relation to other Star Wars stories? Who are the characters? What is the inifinite empire?

So far, I'm getting that it's some sort of prequel, probably about the origins of the Jedi Order, which feels like a really bad idea.


Here ya go

User avatar
Havok
Miscreant
Posts: 13014
Joined: 2005-07-02 10:41pm
Location: Oakland CA
Contact:

Re: Dawn of the Jedi thread

Postby Havok » 2012-02-16 08:09pm

Gawd I hate the EU. That sounds like a bunch of fucking crap.
Image

It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"

Ire
Youngling
Posts: 75
Joined: 2012-02-13 07:28am

Re: Dawn of the Jedi thread

Postby Ire » 2012-02-16 09:07pm

Havok wrote:Gawd I hate the EU. That sounds like a bunch of fucking crap.

Have you even bothered reading it or are you just frustrated?

And whats wrong with the EU? Sure it has some weak writing from undesirables but it has it's good writing as well

User avatar
Lord Pounder
Pretty Hate Machine
Posts: 9682
Joined: 2002-11-19 04:40pm
Location: Belfast, unfortunately
Contact:

Re: Dawn of the Jedi thread

Postby Lord Pounder » 2012-02-16 09:33pm

Ire wrote:
Havok wrote:Gawd I hate the EU. That sounds like a bunch of fucking crap.

Have you even bothered reading it or are you just frustrated?

And whats wrong with the EU? Sure it has some weak writing from undesirables but it has it's good writing as well


With very few exceptions, such as Tim Zahn's work and Aaron Alistons's work, the EU has been steaming piles of shit that hardly resemble the movies and who exist only to make more crappy work.
RIP Yosemite Bear
Gone, Never Forgotten

Ire
Youngling
Posts: 75
Joined: 2012-02-13 07:28am

Re: Dawn of the Jedi thread

Postby Ire » 2012-02-16 09:39pm

Lord Pounder wrote:
With very few exceptions, such as Tim Zahn's work and Aaron Alistons's work, the EU has been steaming piles of shit that hardly resemble the movies and who exist only to make more crappy work.


What about Stover, Perry, and Kemp the numerous source books and comics that have been legitimate. Or is this just movie purist generalization?

User avatar
Lord Pounder
Pretty Hate Machine
Posts: 9682
Joined: 2002-11-19 04:40pm
Location: Belfast, unfortunately
Contact:

Re: Dawn of the Jedi thread

Postby Lord Pounder » 2012-02-16 10:33pm

I'm not saying they aren't official or licensed, but Lucas would put the star wars brand on wet shit and fanboys would gobble it up with glee. In fact that happened from what I could make of Karen Travis's work. Maybe it's because I'm a purist, maybe I'm off a certain generation but the EU, especially post Prequel EU has been almost universally poor, some of those authors expect you to believe that a Galactic Army composed of 1,000,000 clones, then they spent too many novels justifying this number. Those assholes expect you to believe that China has a larger army than the Galactic Republic, and don't get me started on the Mando-wank or Windu-wank. But Bio-wank just takes the cake for me. The Vong were the single worst idea I've came across in my life. At parts it was well done but in general it insulted my intelligence and went back and basically shat a huge turd on the Bantam-era EU which I mostly liked.
RIP Yosemite Bear
Gone, Never Forgotten

User avatar
Thanas
Magister
Magister
Posts: 29320
Joined: 2004-06-26 07:49pm

Re: Dawn of the Jedi thread

Postby Thanas » 2012-02-16 11:35pm

Ire wrote:
Lord Pounder wrote:
With very few exceptions, such as Tim Zahn's work and Aaron Alistons's work, the EU has been steaming piles of shit that hardly resemble the movies and who exist only to make more crappy work.


What about Stover, Perry, and Kemp the numerous source books and comics that have been legitimate. Or is this just movie purist generalization?


There are very few comics that manage to sell an overall quality story. Crimson Empire and Aayla Secura are the only ones who come to mind. Stover is decent. The rest is pretty bad. Looking back, only the works by Timothy Zahn really stand the test of time and are decently written.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs

User avatar
Havok
Miscreant
Posts: 13014
Joined: 2005-07-02 10:41pm
Location: Oakland CA
Contact:

Re: Dawn of the Jedi thread

Postby Havok » 2012-02-17 02:14am

Ire wrote:
Havok wrote:Gawd I hate the EU. That sounds like a bunch of fucking crap.

Have you even bothered reading it or are you just frustrated?
I don't even have to bother anymore. It's ll the same.

I mean just "light and dark side practitioners are punished equally" was enough for me to know this is fucking stupid.


And whats wrong with the EU? Sure it has some weak writing from undesirables but it has it's good writing as well

The ratio is so out of balance it's not worth even trying to wade through.
Image

It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"

Ire
Youngling
Posts: 75
Joined: 2012-02-13 07:28am

Re: Dawn of the Jedi thread

Postby Ire » 2012-02-17 07:26am

Havok wrote:
I don't even have to bother anymore. It's ll the same.

I mean just "light and dark side practitioners are punished equally" was enough for me to know this is fucking stupid.

They are concerned with balancing the Force at that time rather than aligning with one side, and you expect them to believe the same thing over 36,000 years in the past?

The ratio is so out of balance it's not worth even trying to wade through.

That's your own opinion
Lord Pounder wrote:I'm not saying they aren't official or licensed, but Lucas would put the star wars brand on wet shit and fanboys would gobble it up with glee. In fact that happened from what I could make of Karen Travis's work. Maybe it's because I'm a purist, maybe I'm off a certain generation but the EU, especially post Prequel EU has been almost universally poor, some of those authors expect you to believe that a Galactic Army composed of 1,000,000 clones, then they spent too many novels justifying this number. Those assholes expect you to believe that China has a larger army than the Galactic Republic, and don't get me started on the Mando-wank or Windu-wank. But Bio-wank just takes the cake for me. The Vong were the single worst idea I've came across in my life. At parts it was well done but in general it insulted my intelligence and went back and basically shat a huge turd on the Bantam-era EU which I mostly liked.

Dude you know her shit is likely to have gotten phased out by the Clone Wars TV series anyways right? She even had a bitch fit about it :lol:
Also I don't get where the term "Windu wank" stems from when Luke and many others are stronger than he is and he's supposed to be a Jedi Council member who are supposed to be the Orders best and brightest.

User avatar
AMT
Jedi Knight
Posts: 864
Joined: 2008-11-21 12:26pm

Re: Dawn of the Jedi thread

Postby AMT » 2012-02-17 07:42am

Thanas wrote:
Ire wrote:
Lord Pounder wrote:
With very few exceptions, such as Tim Zahn's work and Aaron Alistons's work, the EU has been steaming piles of shit that hardly resemble the movies and who exist only to make more crappy work.


What about Stover, Perry, and Kemp the numerous source books and comics that have been legitimate. Or is this just movie purist generalization?


There are very few comics that manage to sell an overall quality story. Crimson Empire and Aayla Secura are the only ones who come to mind. Stover is decent. The rest is pretty bad. Looking back, only the works by Timothy Zahn really stand the test of time and are decently written.


Crimson Empire? That wasn't really that good. I much preferred the Legacy Comics and KOTOR era ones. Still, Crimson was much better than Dark Empire.

User avatar
Thanas
Magister
Magister
Posts: 29320
Joined: 2004-06-26 07:49pm

Re: Dawn of the Jedi thread

Postby Thanas » 2012-02-17 07:58am

Legacy was just EPIC crap at the end, whereas Crimson Empire really depicted the inner power struggles of the empire, with good character work.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs

User avatar
Havok
Miscreant
Posts: 13014
Joined: 2005-07-02 10:41pm
Location: Oakland CA
Contact:

Re: Dawn of the Jedi thread

Postby Havok » 2012-02-17 06:40pm

Ire wrote:
Havok wrote:
I don't even have to bother anymore. It's ll the same.

I mean just "light and dark side practitioners are punished equally" was enough for me to know this is fucking stupid.

They are concerned with balancing the Force at that time rather than aligning with one side, and you expect them to believe the same thing over 36,000 years in the past?
Uh... News flash there GENIUS. Bringing balance to the Force was a driving issue in the PT. It's pretty fucking CLEAR they do in fact, believe the same things 36,000 years in the past. News Flash Update: The EU has no creativity.

And about the 36,000 years thing... Am I really supposed to believe that that amount of time has passed and the Jedi have had, what, a slight change to their name and got better lightsabers? Do you realize how long 36,000 years is? And if the new added feature is that the "grey" Je'dii fight the lightsiders too like they fight the darksiders... yawn.

Oh and it's based off the ridiculous backstory of KOTOR where the ancient galaxy spanning super advanced Infinite Empire somehow was completely erased from existence along with ALL their technology... everywhere, EXCEPT the one perfectly suited for the Sith weapon that can conquer the galaxy. :lol:

Yeah, let me run right out and pick this up.

Tell me Liefeld is drawing it and I buy multiple copies of each issue.
Image

It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"

Ire
Youngling
Posts: 75
Joined: 2012-02-13 07:28am

Re: Dawn of the Jedi thread

Postby Ire » 2012-02-17 06:56pm

My god you sound like you hive a continent sized chip on your shoulder...
Oh and it's based off the ridiculous backstory of KOTOR where the ancient galaxy spanning super advanced Infinite Empire somehow was completely erased from existence along with ALL their technology... everywhere, EXCEPT the one perfectly suited for the Sith weapon that can conquer the galaxy.

....It wasn't completely erased seeing how people found it in the first place. Hell it was implied the early Sith knew about it

User avatar
Eframepilot
Jedi Master
Posts: 1004
Joined: 2002-09-05 03:35am
Contact:

Re: Dawn of the Jedi thread

Postby Eframepilot » 2012-02-21 04:06am

The "thousand generations" line in Star Wars: A New Hope was a mistake. Lucas himself forgot about it and changed in to "a thousand years" in the prequels, except the inconsistency was already established in the EU. 25,000 years is too long for even fiction. Most of the important events in the EU take place in the past 5,000 years or less, anyway.

User avatar
Tiriol
Jedi Council Member
Posts: 1947
Joined: 2005-09-15 11:31am
Location: Helsinki, Finland
Contact:

Re: Dawn of the Jedi thread

Postby Tiriol » 2012-02-21 05:19am

Eframepilot wrote:The "thousand generations" line in Star Wars: A New Hope was a mistake. Lucas himself forgot about it and changed in to "a thousand years" in the prequels, except the inconsistency was already established in the EU. 25,000 years is too long for even fiction. Most of the important events in the EU take place in the past 5,000 years or less, anyway.


How is it too long "even for fiction"? And what is your source for the claim that Kenobi's speech in ANH was a mistake?
Confiteor Deo omnipotenti; beatae Mariae semper Virgini; beato Michaeli Archangelo; sanctis Apostolis, omnibus sanctis... Tibit Pater, quia peccavi nimis, cogitatione, verbo et opere, mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa! Kyrie Eleison!

The Imperial Senate (defunct) * Knights Astrum Clades * The Mess

User avatar
Eframepilot
Jedi Master
Posts: 1004
Joined: 2002-09-05 03:35am
Contact:

Re: Dawn of the Jedi thread

Postby Eframepilot » 2012-02-21 05:37am

Tiriol wrote:
Eframepilot wrote:The "thousand generations" line in Star Wars: A New Hope was a mistake. Lucas himself forgot about it and changed in to "a thousand years" in the prequels, except the inconsistency was already established in the EU. 25,000 years is too long for even fiction. Most of the important events in the EU take place in the past 5,000 years or less, anyway.


How is it too long "even for fiction"? And what is your source for the claim that Kenobi's speech in ANH was a mistake?


Recorded history, or at least the vast majority important events of recorded history, goes back only five thousand years. So more than that is more than fictional universes can properly handle, especially one as, um, unsophisticated as the Star Wars EU. Most of the EU's major Jedi vs. Sith wars have been placed within the past five thousand years, with the previous twenty thousand years mostly neglected.

I find Lucas's switch of Republic history of a "thousand years" in the prequels to be suspiciously similar to Obi-Wan's "thousand generations" comment. Looking only at the movies, it would be much simpler if the Republic had been around for only 1,000 years with a period of Sith tyranny preceding it. However, the EU has established a period of cyclic Sith and Jedi hegemonies over the past millenia that makes either side's victory look transient and unimportant.

Ire
Youngling
Posts: 75
Joined: 2012-02-13 07:28am

Re: Dawn of the Jedi thread

Postby Ire » 2012-02-21 07:38am

The Star Wars universe is more advanced then our own, how is it that unbelievable they had better ways of recording history? Even the earliest eras had some form of records.

And you also neglect the Ruusan Reformation which explains the thousand year line.

User avatar
Lord Pounder
Pretty Hate Machine
Posts: 9682
Joined: 2002-11-19 04:40pm
Location: Belfast, unfortunately
Contact:

Re: Dawn of the Jedi thread

Postby Lord Pounder » 2012-02-22 08:41pm

Ire wrote:The Star Wars universe is more advanced then our own, how is it that unbelievable they had better ways of recording history? Even the earliest eras had some form of records.

And you also neglect the Ruusan Reformation which explains the thousand year line.


Care to name these methods? This is a civilisation that "forgot" how awesome uber Jedi were within about 10 years of them being wiped.

Ire, do you wipe your cum stained EU wankfest comics after use or do you do the civilised thing and use a Kleenex?
RIP Yosemite Bear
Gone, Never Forgotten

User avatar
Tiriol
Jedi Council Member
Posts: 1947
Joined: 2005-09-15 11:31am
Location: Helsinki, Finland
Contact:

Re: Dawn of the Jedi thread

Postby Tiriol » 2012-02-23 03:10am

Eframepilot wrote:
Tiriol wrote:
Eframepilot wrote:The "thousand generations" line in Star Wars: A New Hope was a mistake. Lucas himself forgot about it and changed in to "a thousand years" in the prequels, except the inconsistency was already established in the EU. 25,000 years is too long for even fiction. Most of the important events in the EU take place in the past 5,000 years or less, anyway.


How is it too long "even for fiction"? And what is your source for the claim that Kenobi's speech in ANH was a mistake?


Recorded history, or at least the vast majority important events of recorded history, goes back only five thousand years. So more than that is more than fictional universes can properly handle, especially one as, um, unsophisticated as the Star Wars EU. Most of the EU's major Jedi vs. Sith wars have been placed within the past five thousand years, with the previous twenty thousand years mostly neglected.


If one follows the EU, then there is quite a lot of material outside the 5,000 years' timeframe. And according to those EU sources the conflict of the Jedi and of the Sith has been only about 5,000 years old because that's when those two ideologies first came into actual, official contact.

If one discards the EU and only follows the movies, does it really matter if it's 1,000 years or 1,000 generations? It's all set in an almost mythical time that is now long past. Why should one line be a mistake and the other the right one if we remain pure and true to the movies?
Confiteor Deo omnipotenti; beatae Mariae semper Virgini; beato Michaeli Archangelo; sanctis Apostolis, omnibus sanctis... Tibit Pater, quia peccavi nimis, cogitatione, verbo et opere, mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa! Kyrie Eleison!

The Imperial Senate (defunct) * Knights Astrum Clades * The Mess


Return to “Pure Star Wars”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 3 guests