New Zahn Book 'Scoundrels'

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

New Zahn Book 'Scoundrels'

Post by Stofsk »

New Zahn book
Blurb wrote:The Death Star has been destroyed. The Rebellion has had its first big victory. And Han Solo, newly conscripted to the Rebel cause, is on the run from the Empire and the bounty hunters eager to turn him in for the huge reward being offered by Jabba the Hutt. Now a mysterious stranger offers Han the resources to execute a daring robbery from a major crime lord. The mission is impossible, but the prize will make Han a free man. With no choice but to accept, Han Solo and his Wookiee partner, Chewbacca, set out to assemble a cast of rogues, knaves, and cons with the right combination of wits, skills, and derring-do to pull off an operation of this complexity and scale — the best scoundrels the galaxy has to offer. And then the game is on: a rip-roaring, intergalactic, Ocean’s Eleven-style heist adventure starring Han Solo, Chewie, and Lando Calrissian, written by #1 New York Times bestselling Star Wars author Timothy Zahn!
Zahn's the only thing I'll buy with SW on the cover. I'm glad he's doing a book like this; the concept alone is something I'd love to see done, but it's just nice to see someone do a SW story that isn't about the galaxy coming to an end and Jedi vs Sith for the fucking millionth time.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Re: New Zahn Book 'Scoundrels'

Post by Batman »

Some of us still remember the original Han and Lando trilogies you know. :D
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Hmm. What's the betting Talon Karrde and/or Mara Jade feature heavily?
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

Zahn wrote on his facebook page that most of the heist crew will be new characters. Most of Han's smuggler friends don't have the skillset, which basically means Talon Karrde is out (leaving aside the fact that at this point in time Han and Talon aren't even known to each other let alone friends), and Mara Jade at this point in time is the Emperor's Hand so why would she team up with Han?
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

I didn't say she'd be a member of the team. She could be an antagonist, after all. And why? It's Zahn. It's got to have one of his pet characters in it. Karrde or Jade or Thrawn.

Nothing would please me more than being wrong though.

Still that plot sounds like it could be awesome fun. Even if the heist is presumably doomed by canon.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Crazedwraith wrote:
Still that plot sounds like it could be awesome fun. Even if the heist is presumably doomed by canon.
The heist might go off great, but the pay-off might go south easily. I can see the double cross from a mile away if one of the new characters happens to be a Bounty Hunter after Han's head who goes for double or nothing and joins the heist crew to get close hoping to snag the payday and the bounty head.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Anguirus
Sith Marauder

Post by Anguirus »

Lando? Meeting up with Han between ANH and ESB? Requires a bit of retconning or at least juggling, but overall this book gets a hell yeah from me!
"I spit on metaphysics, sir."

"I pity the woman you marry." -Liberty

This is the guy they want to use to win over "young people?" Are they completely daft? I'd rather vote for a pile of shit than a Jesus freak social regressive.
Here's hoping that his political career goes down in flames and, hopefully, a hilarious gay sex scandal.
-Tanasinn
You can't expect sodomy to ruin every conservative politician in this country. -Battlehymn Republic
My blog, please check out and comment! http://decepticylon.blogspot.com
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Anguirus wrote:Lando? Meeting up with Han between ANH and ESB? Requires a bit of retconning or at least juggling, but overall this book gets a hell yeah from me!
I was wondering how Zahn'sgoing to handle the estrangement too.

Best guess, the lure of wealth is enough for Lando to temporarily bury the hatchet -- or again, in this case, vibro-ax.

Ultimately, though, we know a truce won't last thanks to Episode V.

Anyway, I wasn't planning on reading any more SW novels for 2012 after Darth Plagueis, but now I've changed my mind. I'm a sucker for a heist/caper plot and given Zahn's penchant for twists, this should be very, very interestng and entertaining.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Just the fact that it is going to ignore the well established "haven't seen you in ages" SCENE in Empire, already puts this in the garbage bin for me.

Come the fuck on.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Havok wrote:Just the fact that it is going to ignore the well established "haven't seen you in ages" SCENE in Empire, already puts this in the garbage bin for me.

Come the fuck on.
I trust Zahn's ability to navigate the continuity, so there must be a good reason/incentive for bringing Lando in at this point in the chronology.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Is it possible that Lando will appear but not actually meet Han? It wouldn't be too difficult I would think and ahs the advantag eof avoiding the continuity problem.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Eternal_Freedom wrote:Is it possible that Lando will appear but not actually meet Han? It wouldn't be too difficult I would think and ahs the advantag eof avoiding the continuity problem.
That was my thought too.

It'd be similar to how Mara appeared in the Hand of Judgement duology, but narrowly avoided interacting with Luke and company (though the climax of Choices of One still stretches disbelief to the breaking point).
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

It's been a while since I last watched ESB, but was it ever explictly said that Han and Lando haven't seen each other after ANH, there's after all a 3 year time gap between the 2 films.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Connor MacLeod
Sith Apprentice

Post by Connor MacLeod »

I'm willing to give it a chance as long as he stays the fuck away from his established characters except maybe for cameos. It might be good to be focusing on smugglers (to hell with canon, and especially to hell with STar Wars canon.) it might come across as good if it follows the Brian Daley route.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Connor MacLeod wrote:I'm willing to give it a chance as long as he stays the fuck away from his established characters except maybe for cameos. It might be good to be focusing on smugglers (to hell with canon, and especially to hell with STar Wars canon.) it might come across as good if it follows the Brian Daley route.
It's too bad Gallandro's dead at this point in the continuity.
YT300000
Sith'ari

Post by YT300000 »

Given that this happens right after ANH, there is indeed a three year gap so this isn't all that impossible. Zahn will probably have Han tricking or cheating Lando at the very end, to fit with the line "You've got a lot of nerve, coming here after what you pulled."
Name changes are for people who wear women's clothes. - Zuul

Wow. It took me a good minute to remember I didn't have testicles. -xBlackFlash

Are you sure this isn't like that time Michael Jackson stopped by your house so he could use the bathroom? - Superman
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

YT300000 wrote:Given that this happens right after ANH, there is indeed a three year gap so this isn't all that impossible. Zahn will probably have Han tricking or cheating Lando at the very end, to fit with the line "You've got a lot of nerve, coming here after what you pulled."
It would be interesting, if retroactive if we find out that Lando was referring to this heist instead of the double-cross in Rebel Dawn like we've thought since 1998.
Anguirus
Sith Marauder

Post by Anguirus »

^ A.C. Crispin already explained this, so unfortunately an additional explanation is more of the continuity creep and rot that drives me mad about Star Wars. But, Zahn > Crispin so not too upsetting.
"I spit on metaphysics, sir."

"I pity the woman you marry." -Liberty

This is the guy they want to use to win over "young people?" Are they completely daft? I'd rather vote for a pile of shit than a Jesus freak social regressive.
Here's hoping that his political career goes down in flames and, hopefully, a hilarious gay sex scandal.
-Tanasinn
You can't expect sodomy to ruin every conservative politician in this country. -Battlehymn Republic
My blog, please check out and comment! http://decepticylon.blogspot.com
fordlltwm
Padawan Learner

Post by fordlltwm »

I really liked crispins way of souring Lando and Han's relationship, it'll be interesting to see how Zahn manages to fix their estrangement and create a new one.

Though it may explain why Karrde and Co think that Han stole the Falcon.
AMT
Jedi Knight

Post by AMT »

Havok wrote:Just the fact that it is going to ignore the well established "haven't seen you in ages" SCENE in Empire, already puts this in the garbage bin for me.

Come the fuck on.
QQ some more.