Old Republic MMORPG Cinematic Trailers are Good!

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

AndroAsc
Padawan Learner

Old Republic MMORPG Cinematic Trailers are Good!

Post by AndroAsc »

I know, I'm late to the party. This might be old news, but I thought I would share.

I don't play MMORPG, so this has escaped me for a while. Holy shit, the cinematic trailers released for the Old Republic was rather awesome, especially the latest one released last year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqq2-wG9iZE

I especially enjoyed the 2 Jedi vs 2 Sith duel, and the choreography was good for just a trailer for a PC game. I particularly like how the 2 Jedi had some coordination in their fighting strategy, note how the Master saved his Padawan with a well placed saber throw. This kind of saber-action has never been done before on film to my knowledge, as the PT were at best 2 Jedi vs 1 Sith. What impresses me the most that it was entirely in CGI animation. No real actors. Honestly, I would not mind having a SW TV series with this level of animation. The KOTOR era would be a great setting for storytelling in the SW-verse. But we have George Lucas to deal with... sad!
AMT
Jedi Knight

Re: Old Republic MMORPG Cinematic Trailers are Good!

Post by AMT »

AndroAsc wrote:I know, I'm late to the party. This might be old news, but I thought I would share.

I don't play MMORPG, so this has escaped me for a while. Holy shit, the cinematic trailers released for the Old Republic was rather awesome, especially the latest one released last year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqq2-wG9iZE

I especially enjoyed the 2 Jedi vs 2 Sith duel, and the choreography was good for just a trailer for a PC game. I particularly like how the 2 Jedi had some coordination in their fighting strategy, note how the Master saved his Padawan with a well placed saber throw. This kind of saber-action has never been done before on film to my knowledge, as the PT were at best 2 Jedi vs 1 Sith. What impresses me the most that it was entirely in CGI animation. No real actors. Honestly, I would not mind having a SW TV series with this level of animation. The KOTOR era would be a great setting for storytelling in the SW-verse. But we have George Lucas to deal with... sad!
Unfortunately each cinematic was 10s of millions of dollars to be created as such. So any tv series with this kind of animation level would be exorbitantly prohibitive in cost terms.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

The idea of a KotOR era television series isn't a bad one. But I'd like them to make the live action series first. God knows we've been waiting long enough.
AMT
Jedi Knight

Post by AMT »

The Romulan Republic wrote:The idea of a KotOR era television series isn't a bad one. But I'd like them to make the live action series first. God knows we've been waiting long enough.
See I don't want that. The budget will never be that as the movies and I don't want to see a television budget level star wars.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

AMT wrote:Unfortunately each cinematic was 10s of millions of dollars to be created as such. So any tv series with this kind of animation level would be exorbitantly prohibitive in cost terms.
Got a source on that number?
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
AMT
Jedi Knight

Post by AMT »

Havok wrote:
AMT wrote:Unfortunately each cinematic was 10s of millions of dollars to be created as such. So any tv series with this kind of animation level would be exorbitantly prohibitive in cost terms.
Bleh. I did when I first saw it a couple months ago but can't track it down. Until/unless I do feel free to consider it unsubstantiated rumor.
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

The rule of thumb number I've heard for these cinematic trailers is on the order of 1-3 million, per minute, but that's anecdotal...
AndroAsc
Padawan Learner

Post by AndroAsc »

Havok wrote:
Why would a game company splurge $10 mil for few minutes of cinematic intro? It sounds like a ridiculously huge amount for just eye candy. What's the usual budget/cost for game development anyway?
AndroAsc
Padawan Learner

Post by AndroAsc »

The Romulan Republic wrote:The idea of a KotOR era television series isn't a bad one. But I'd like them to make the live action series first. God knows we've been waiting long enough.
From what I've read, The live action is ready to be filmed. Scripts are written up and done. Lucas is just pressing the hold button cause costs have not come down yet and I think the technology is still not there yet. He wants to shoot the entire series on some HD camcorder which you can get from Walmart, and not utilize all the state-of-the-art stuff he has at Lucasfilms. I think it's going to be a long wait. I just don't understand why he can't just make the TV series in the conventional way that everyone else does.
PREDATOR490
Jedi Council Member

Post by PREDATOR490 »

Lucas is a senile old man now who enjoys sitting on his ass drinking coffee while in a green screen environment. Result: Episodes 1 - 3.

This is the guy that made comments year ago that special effects arent everything then goes and pulls shit like 10min long scenes of nothing but watching pod-racers while Yoda is reduced to a horrific muppet.

As for TOR - Watched all three vids and they are pretty good but this game has been in development for 6 years, when you factor in that its actually sad. It took them 6 years to push out 3 cinematics while folks can push out entire movies for at lot less. Then again, it may have something to do with the fact Bioware at least had some sense of purpose in those cinematics.

They just establish a basic introduction of all the classes and frame the situation but you can obviously see even the movies dont mesh well. I.E the one with Bastila... uhh I mean Satele's master getting wasted. She looks a lot different from the later video of the Republic battle.
Would have been more interesting if these two had been turned into your endgame masters for Jedi / Sith players. Do the same with the other randoms that appear in the cinematics to clearly define the classes.

Although, the Imperial Agent appears to have royally gotten the shaft as the only class never seen in any of those videos which I do find rather amusing.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

PREDATOR490 wrote:
Although, the Imperial Agent appears to have royally gotten the shaft as the only class never seen in any of those videos which I do find rather amusing.
Which is their purposes, spies who get famous are poor spies. The good ones are the ones you don't even know exist -rationalization

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
PREDATOR490
Jedi Council Member

Post by PREDATOR490 »

Mr Bean wrote:
PREDATOR490 wrote:
Which is their purposes, spies who get famous are poor spies. The good ones are the ones you don't even know exist -rationalization
Still a bit poor from a thematic perspective, they show all of the other classes and then leave out the one that is highly regarded as having the best storyline. Wouldnt be that hard to have the Darth Malgus attacking the Jedi Temple show an agent with a sniper rifle taking pop shots at people. Alternatively a longer scene showing one slamming a dagger into the back of some poor SOB from cloak would work wonders. Instead the Bounty Hunter apparantly does the job of infiltration.

As far as cinematics go, they set the backdrop but really accomplish nothing in telling the overall story. Doubt a movie would be feasible unless it essentially tried to cover the fall of Revan / Exile. Could easily get another Triolgy out of KOTOR 1 and 2 which leads into TOR.