Star Wars: Underworld (?)

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Re: Star Wars: Underworld (?)

Post by Galvatron »

I don't know, I guess I figured he had more to do than his IMDb profile indicates. If he's available and willing, I think they'd be stupid not to get him.
charlemagne
Jedi Knight

Post by charlemagne »

Tiriol wrote:No, no more Jedi survivors, please. Coruscant is crowded with them as it is with the Coruscant Nights trilogy and all that. It starts to stretch out the suspension of disbelief if every Jedi John Doe around managed to evade the Purge. Besides, the Prequels were all about the Jedi.
No one cares about the EU, I hope they ignore all that stuff. I wouldn't have a problem with another escaped Jedi because I haven't read any of that stuff, and neither have 99% of the people who would watch new live action SW material, so I don't see a problem here.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

That's the mindset we should have, and it is the mind set that George Lucas has. His universe that he writes and creates in is different then that of the rest of the EU authors. They all start with the same ingredients, i.e. The Star Wars movie saga, but then go their own separate ways. The difference is that what Lucas does can invalidate what EU writers do, but as he has stated, it doesn't have to. The people that read the EU want it to because what Lucas does is the basis for everything else and they want the EU to fall in line, but again, it doesn't have to.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Connor MacLeod
Sith Apprentice

Post by Connor MacLeod »

I wonder if this will spawn a whole new level of canon and force everyone at LFL to wear silly hats.
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Jim Raynor wrote:I was hoping for a show with more traditional heroic characters. Not necessarily Jedi (I think the Jedi were ruled out a while ago), but ordinary citizens resisting the Empire, or members of a precursor organization to the Rebel Alliance. But this is an interesting change from the usual.
Judging from Luke's reaction to C3P0 when he mentions the Rebellion, outright resistance to the Empire (by the Rebel Alliance) is probably a recent event as of ANH. I would think that most of the stories would revolve around the double-dealing of those with power, and how this affects those without power.
Galvatron wrote:
Havok wrote:The thunderous applause wasn't exactly genuine. It's a whole bunch of crooked politicians agreeing with someone they have now power nor the will to stop.

I also wouldn't say that they were shitting themselves. There is only one officer in the room that has concerns.
Vader's aide on the Tantive IV makes two ("holding her is dangerous..."). Vader himself makes three if you count the fact that he recognized the danger and fabricated the cover story about the ship's destruction. Hell, Tarkin himself makes four if you count his statement that the Senate would no longer be of any concern.
Any despot, no matter how tyrannical, is going to need advisers, political allies and underlings to carry out the day-to-day running of his domain if for no other reason than freeing up time for Mr Archvillain to cackle and twirl his mustache. So needlessly antagonizing them is not a good idea even if he plans to ignore them or get rid of them for annoying him with their petty concerns. Just because you can easily dismiss a toady and his or her complaints doesn't make the toady or the complaints any less of a nuisance.
charlemagne
Jedi Knight

Post by charlemagne »

Elfdart wrote:Judging from Luke's reaction to C3P0 when he mentions the Rebellion, outright resistance to the Empire (by the Rebel Alliance) is probably a recent event as of ANH.
It's possible, although I always took that as the reaction of a simple farmboy with big dreams who grew up in an ass-backwards region and has a different view on galactic politics than anyone from the core worlds would.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Elfdart wrote:Judging from Luke's reaction to C3P0 when he mentions the Rebellion, outright resistance to the Empire (by the Rebel Alliance) is probably a recent event as of ANH.
Since (according to the opening crawl) the rebels had only recently won their first victory, I'd say that's a given. Either that, or they'd been getting their shit pushed in for a long time and somehow managed to survive despite constantly losing.
Channel72
Jedi Council Member

Post by Channel72 »

AndroAsc wrote:Lastly, what was the worst part of Star Wars? The small-time (relative to the Empire) criminal underworld. And he wants to focus on that? WTF! How da fuck is this going to be science fiction? I want Star Wars, not the fucking Godfather.
The technology in Star Wars never really defined the stories (other than aesthetically), and so Star Wars isn't really science fiction. It's more like mythology, or space opera. Anyway, ever since Greedo showed up in Episode IV, Star Wars has included a criminal-underworld element. Far from being "the worst part", I always felt these scenes made the Star Wars galaxy a much more fleshed-out, realistic place, complementing the overall "worn down" junky look of so many OT locations.

I actually prefer the way the OT focused more (at least initially) on ordinary, everyday people, like farm-boys and petty criminals, rather than the politicians and invincible wizards of the Prequels, whose every action affects trillions of people. So, I like where they're going with this series. But it's all going to come down to the execution and the characters. I'm a bit worried, I guess, because characters and dialog certainly aren't Lucas's strong point, but it's not like Lucas is going to be writing most of the episodes himself.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

It's amazing that people are complaining about "OMG CRIME!!!" for Star Wars stories when, like Channel72 sorta said, the original movies had smugglers, bounty hunters, drug running, crime bosses, criminal informants... for fucks sake, they even had walking the plank. :lol:

The amount of sci-fi in Star Wars is minimal at best. It certainly isn't what drives any of the story out side of the Death Star. And even then, it is only a "new technology".

You can stick the story itself into any setting and the Death Star can be the newest catapult that can destroy the village to a giant space station that can destroy the plant. It doesn't really matter.

It's why I said, just get some good crime, espionage and political writers and add all the Star Wars stuff later. Don't try to get sci-fi writers to do crime and the like.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Connor MacLeod
Sith Apprentice

Post by Connor MacLeod »

Again the Brian Daley novels come to mind... Han Solo.. Chewbacca... doing crimes and getting away with it (and paid for it).... seemed to work back then.

(BTW Havok did you ever listen to the Star Wars audio dramas? The first two I believe wer done by Brian Daley - they're pretty good - they expand on and change a bit of the OT stuff but not in ways that are bad IMHO. ROTJ was kinda meh, but you got Ed Asner as Jabba the Hutt (the voice at least).)
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Connor MacLeod wrote:Again the Brian Daley novels come to mind... Han Solo.. Chewbacca... doing crimes and getting away with it (and paid for it).... seemed to work back then.

(BTW Havok did you ever listen to the Star Wars audio dramas? The first two I believe wer done by Brian Daley - they're pretty good - they expand on and change a bit of the OT stuff but not in ways that are bad IMHO. ROTJ was kinda meh, but you got Ed Asner as Jabba the Hutt (the voice at least).)
You know what, I have them, but I have never listened to them. I'll see if I can find them.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Galvatron wrote:I don't know, I guess I figured he had more to do than his IMDb profile indicates. If he's available and willing, I think they'd be stupid not to get him.
It only takes a few hours to do voiceovers, so there's no need to schedule that far ahead.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

I dunno... the last time JEJ did Vader, he sounded... off.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Havok wrote:I dunno... the last time JEJ did Vader, he sounded... off.
Twenty years away from the role will do that. His voice got lower, which is inevitable when actors get older. Anthony Daniels seemed to overcompensate in the prequels and went higher. I guess we shouldn't expect actors to sound just like they did decades ago anymore than we should expect them to look the same.