What jobs do people have?

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Dr Roberts
Padawan Learner

What jobs do people have?

Post by Dr Roberts »

With the abundance of droids in the GFFA it makes sense that they Are often chosen over humans so what jobs do Humans perform in a GFFA?
Have Computer/Virus/Malware etc. problems or questions feel free to PM me.
lstyer
Redshirt

Re: What jobs do people have?

Post by lstyer »

Dr Roberts wrote:With the abundance of droids in the GFFA it makes sense that they Are often chosen over humans so what jobs do Humans perform in a GFFA?
That probably varies from location to location depending on the availability of droids at the location, but where droids are plentiful, I'm sure humans and other organics don't do as much.

I'm trying to think about what jobs we either saw humans performing or were told that they performed in the movies. Off hand:

- Tons of military jobs as seen throughout the series

- Owen Lars ran his moisture farm. I don't know what that that entailed, exactly, though.

- Owen spoke of hiring on farm hands next season. I'm not sure what that job entailed, either, but Owen clearly expected Luke to perform it till the farm hands were hired. Luke suggested that with the droids having been purchased there was no need for him, so this may be an example of an organic doing a job that a droid could have done if a droid were available.

- There was a human bartender at the cantina. This is almost certainly a job that a droid could do, but "We don't serve their kind" indicates that there may have been a cultural component to the decision not to use a droid.

- Watto ran his junkyard. He's the business owner, as is Owen Lars. With droids effectively enslaved, small business ownership and operation is probably a stronghold of organic employment.

- Watto used organic slaves in the operation of his business. I'm not sure how the economics work that make organic slaves more affordable than droids, but Watto clearly had slaves instead of droids. Maybe organic slaves are cheaper to purchase than droids, because I would expect that providing for an organic slave will cost more on an on-going basis with food, clothing and shelter figured in. So maybe businesses that can afford the on-going expense of organic help, either in the form of slaves or non-slave employees, but can't afford the up-front cost of droids employ organics.

- Political institutions seemed to be full of organics from the officials themselves down to the majority of their aids.

- Lando Calrissian, the administrator of this facility. Upper level administration is probably not generally a job for droids.

- Whatever it was the Ugnaughts were doing.

- Han Solo operated a tramp freighter. This may be in the category of small business owner, or it might be cultural, in that organics might not entrust their goods to independent droids, assuming they even recognize the concept of independent droids.

- The bounty hunters in Empire Strikes Back are an interesting case. Most are organic, but we do see IG-88 and 4-LOM, so droids apparently bounty hunt, though we have to turn to the EU to confirm that IG-88 and 4-LOM are indpendent and don't just belong to Dengar or something.

That's about all I'm thinking of off hand.