Movie vs novelization canon of star wars

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

DarthTankMauler
Redshirt

Movie vs novelization canon of star wars

Post by DarthTankMauler »

I take it from examples of disscussion on this forum and from Mike's data on the webpage that star wars movies are viewed as most reliable source to cite (at least they bear the most weight when used) What is then done when we view the Force user fight scenes in the Vid's and then compare to the episodes in writing.

For Example: in the novelization of Episode three in the battle between Darth Sidious and Master Windu when SkyWlker comes into the room he sees a dark blurr which surrounded mace windu from which stabs of red flickered and were countered by his own. Is this what we see in the vid's? IT seems to me that the vid's actually limit the star wars universe as oppose to the novels am i wrong? (Seriously if you are "in the know" as they say please enlighten me )
"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"
DarthTankMauler
Redshirt

Re: Movie vs novelization canon of star wars

[quote="DarthTankMauler"] What is then done when we view the Force user fight scenes in the Vid's and then compare to the episodes in writing./quote]
My bad that was poorly worded what i meant was "What should we think when we see a disparity between the video of a fight scene and the novelization of it "
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Basically, the rule is that anything that is in the novelizations is canon unless contradicted by what appears on screen. Thus, a scene that appears in the novels but not the films happened, but a scene in the novels that contradicts the films did not happen. That's my understanding of it, anyway.

The specific scene you're talking about would appear to be a contradiction, and therefore not valid, though maybe you could rationalize it by saying that's how Anakin perceived the fight through the Force or whatever.
DarthTankMauler
Redshirt

so is it alright to rationalize it in that way? i thought that might be a jump of logic to do that.

Thanks for the clarification. :)
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

I'm honestly not sure. Just a possibility I threw out there. Don't take my word on it.
DarthTankMauler
Redshirt

i like the novelization better but i wanted to get some clarification before starting to debate with others on this site i love the novels but dislike the movies except for the original trilogy. and i didnt want to say something stupid or uninformed on the other topics. Star Wars is one of the most interconected and easiest to cite sci fis out there.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

You do have to admit that the canon policy has had its good points, one of which being that almost everything within the primary universe is considered part of the whole story. While this can be messy (Imperial minimalism anybody?), I still think it's kind of nice to know that some parts of the SW books can be considered to have happened after the movies. Of course, then there are the parts we'd love to forget about, like anything written by KJA and the Yuuzhan Vong...
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
DarthTankMauler
Redshirt

i love the Yuuzhan Vong series though it was to long and redundant for me,i understand what you are sayin though all things are going to be disliked by someone especially with something like star wars or other sci fi. the episodes and novels that you love the most will be hated and thought to detract from the series by someone else.

.good point. thanks
Connor MacLeod
Sith Apprentice

Post by Connor MacLeod »

Which canon policy are we talking about. The old one, or the new one where everything George Lucas says and does is absolute word of god now and everything descends from that? (yeah I know I'm exaggerating the GCSN thing or is it GTCSN now with Clone wars? God knows) but it just feels like SW has turned into a Masonic temple since that and the Holocron came out.
DarthTankMauler
Redshirt

I was thinking of the original. i didnt even know bout the new policy. what changed with the policy?
Connor MacLeod
Sith Apprentice

Post by Connor MacLeod »

The G-Canon/T-canon/C-canon/etc thing. Its been around for awhile. From what I recall there's ongoing dispute as to whether it supplements and clarifies the original canon dsicussion (such as a POV held here) or it changes things entirely. Either way it placed the Clone Wars TV series higher than the EU, which lead to all sorts of interesting developments (good and bad, depending on your point of view.)

My view is mostly along the lines of what D13 said, mainly due to fatigue because most of the SW discussions nowadays seem to revolve around canon (usually whether the ICS or the Clone Wars TV show is more canonical as a depiction of STar Wars, etc.) Well that and its quite probable canon will change again at some point, or get more complicated, or something. and then there's that whole "quasi religious" angle (like you can have an absolute truth in a fictional TV series.) Besides, most people will follow their instincts on these things anyhow - like whether Han or Greedo shot first, or whether the ICS has any validity (quite a few people around here will call the ICS bullshit :P)

still, it could be worse. It could be Halo canon :mrgreen: