Poll: Which warship would you use?

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Which ship would you use?

Imperator SD
13%
Victory SD
6%
Mon Cal Cruiser
2%
Dreadnought Cruiser
2%
Executor SSD
44%
Venator SD
2%
Home One
5%
Tector SD
No votes
Other
27%

Total votes: 63

Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Poll: Which warship would you use?

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Basically, this is like the SD.net SSD thread from SW vs. ST (http://bbs.stardestroyer.net/viewtopic ... 2&t=112271), in that by some random act of Q (or the Force, or whatever deity you favor), you get your own ship with a crew loyal to you and only you. Difference being its not specifically in the Milky Way, or SW Galaxy, that's up to reader preference. In any case, you get to pick one of these ships (or use the other option) and you get a crew completely loyal to you, and you can customize it anyway you want. You also have all the knowledge you need to run it (maybe not run it well, but you won't hyperjump into a star, unless you're just an idiot :roll: ). If you so choose, you can also have engineers on the ship who know how to build hypermatter refineries. Is there anything else I need to put here? If so just let me know and I'll add on. This is my first attempt at a thread like this, so I don't quite know the ropes yet (feel free to make fun of the noob, I know it will happen anyway). I'll put my choice in the next post.
SDNW5: Republic of Arcadia...Sweden in SPAAACE
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Re: Poll: Which warship would you use?

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Okay, now onto my choice (and if this counts as spam since it was so fast I apologize, like I said, I'm a noob at this). Personally, I choose the Victory Class. Why? Well I just like the design. Sure the others have more firepower, but its nice to be able to actually go into an atmosphere (a BDZ gets your point across, but if you want to scare a planet without destroying something, theres nothing quite like parking an SD over their capital and laughing as their firepower bounces off). As for which galaxy (and if even having this choice in here warrants having it moved to the vs.forum feel free to do so), I'll pick the Milky Way. Now if I had an Executor or an Eclipse... then I would stay in the far more civilized SW galaxy, but since I'm in the smallest ship to bear the title 'Star Destroyer' I'll pick the easy to walk over Milky Way thank you. As far as color goes, I'll take dark green, with the NR/GA symbol painted on the bow so I don't get my butt blown off for being in an Imperial ship (considering its fairly certain a lot of people will want to swarm the MW and I don't feel like being on the same side as the more violent pro-Empire members). That also relates to why I don't want to be in the SW galaxy, it would be far to easy for some pirate to shoot a turbolaser up my butt and ruin my day. That is all.
Panzersharkcat
Jedi Council Member

Post by Panzersharkcat »

Plain ol' Imperator in the Milky Way. It's more than enough to get my point across if I need to do anything and it looks damn cool.
"I'm just reading through your formspring here, and your responses to many questions seem to indicate that you are ready and willing to sacrifice realism/believability for the sake of (sometimes) marginal increases in gameplay quality. Why is this?"
"Because until I see gamers sincerely demanding that if they get winged in the gut with a bullet that they spend the next three hours bleeding out on the ground before permanently dying, they probably are too." - J.E. Sawyer
Temujin
Jedi Master

Post by Temujin »

Well, if I'm going to get something for nothing I might as well go all out and take a fully stocked Imperium Class Ultra Star Destroyer, a.k.a. the Overcompensator. :lol:

As for which Galaxy, I don't think it matters. :P
Mr. Harley: Your impatience is quite understandable.
Klaatu: I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it.
Mr. Harley: I'm afraid my people haven't. I'm very sorry... I wish it were otherwise.

"I do know that for the sympathy of one living being, I would make peace with all. I have love in me the likes of which you can scarcely imagine and rage the likes of which you would not believe.
If I cannot satisfy the one, I will indulge the other." – Frankenstein's Creature on the glacier[/size]
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Thing is, if I'm stranded on my own with just one ship I need something that can a) handle a fleet on its own and b) opperate a long time without resupply. Of those on the list, the logical choice would probably be the Executor.

As far as customization goes, I'd start out with a cloaking device, then increase its fuel supply and life support capacity. Strip out at least some of the heavy weapons, and add shield gennerators.

Of course, an Executor doesn't work well for avoiding being noticed. Not sure what would be best for that, but something smaller and less intimidating.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Well, if I'm going to get something for nothing I might as well go all out and take a fully stocked Imperium Class Ultra Star Destroyer, a.k.a. the Overcompensator.

As for which Galaxy, I don't think it matters.
:shock: :shock: :shock:

Oh my God...words just don't do that justice... that thing is longer than the Death Star is wide! What in the world would posses you to pick that monster? And it wouldn't matter which galaxy, nothing could stand up to that short of the DS2.
Azron_Stoma
Padawan Learner

Post by Azron_Stoma »

I'd say the Assertor Class that Fractalsponge Designed, it's the most powerful ship I can think of without becoming silly. As for galaxy I'd say MW.... to start :twisted:
Omeganian
Jedi Knight

Post by Omeganian »

Take a complete Death Star II, add a hundred smaller superlasers all over the perimeter, a dozen Galaxy Guns, stock it with Suncrusher resonance torpedoes, fit it with a friendly Culture Mind to upgrade as it sees fit... did I go overboard at some point?
Q: How are children made in the TNG era Federation?

A: With power couplings. To explain, you shut down the power to the lights, and then, in the darkness, you have the usual TOS era coupling.
Panzersharkcat
Jedi Council Member

Post by Panzersharkcat »

Temujin wrote:Well, if I'm going to get something for nothing I might as well go all out and take a fully stocked Imperium Class Ultra Star Destroyer, a.k.a. the Overcompensator. :lol:

As for which Galaxy, I don't think it matters. :P
Sheesh. I didn't pick the Executor since I thought that would be overcompensating as it is. Goddamn! :shock:
"I'm just reading through your formspring here, and your responses to many questions seem to indicate that you are ready and willing to sacrifice realism/believability for the sake of (sometimes) marginal increases in gameplay quality. Why is this?"
"Because until I see gamers sincerely demanding that if they get winged in the gut with a bullet that they spend the next three hours bleeding out on the ground before permanently dying, they probably are too." - J.E. Sawyer
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

I'd go with an Executor SSD, fitted with cloaking device if possible and extra shield generators for good measure.

Then, I dunno, jump to whichever galaxy the BSG universe is in and murderkillfuckerise those damn Cylons. If not them, the version of the MW galaxy that has Stargate in it, park myself over Earth and offer my services as a Defender of Humanity (TM).
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Azron_Stoma
Padawan Learner

Post by Azron_Stoma »

Eternal seems to share the same long term goals I do XD, also I'm thinking of possibly a World Devastator, gobble up some kuiper belts and Oort Clouds and make my own empire.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

A World Devastator would also be good, especially as it can "grow" over time, and has an AI to overview the upgrades.

I wonder. If we had a World Devastator and enough materials, could it fabricate a Eclipse-scale superlaser for heavy anti-ship roles? If so, that one definitely gets my vote.

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Darth Tedious
Jedi Master

Post by Darth Tedious »

Eclipse Class SSD.
Obviously fitted with CGTs so I can see any bastard that happens to be cloaking, and maybe fitted with a cloak so I can at least appear invisible to anyone else.

In the Milky Way, because it seems to be where everyone's headed.

Like my LH from the Ocampa scenario, my ship's going to be decked out with massive internal breweries, distilleries and druglabs. And armed to the teeth.
Once again, my goal is to cruise around in style, party hard, and only get ultraviolent if threatened.

Happy Fun Time Alliance, anyone?
"Darth Tedious just showed why women can go anywhere they want because they are, in effect, mobile kitchens." - RazorOutlaw

"That could never happen because super computers." - Stark

"Don't go there girl! Talk to the VTOL cause the glass canopy ain't listening!" - Shroomy
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Well...it seems I was right in putting the 'other' option. Because other than the Executor no one seems to be using the base choices. I still would use the Vic if it was the ST Milky Way though. Now if it was say Stargate... well in that case I would go with the DS2 with one hundred Elcipses docked inside it. :twisted: Now I'd like to see the Wraith or snakes try and fight that! Though when one thinks about it, we don't really have any hard numbers on there weapons or shields, other than that the snakes can take an enhanced nuke. Which I highly doubt was in the gigaton range. So a Vic would be enough there too most likely, but hey, a little overkill never hurt anyone (except for the people on the receiving end...). I kind of expected everyone to go to some version or other of the MW though, which is why I put the option in there. I'm glad I did now. Anyone up for an alliance to defend Earth? Or just have fun blowing up everyone else (fried Klingon anyone?).
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

I'll take a stock Executor with a full complement of droids, fighters, AT-ATs, etc. in addition to the mindlessly loyal crew (most of whom are hot chicks).

That assumes that an Executor contains all the necessary equipment to sustain itself logistically for long periods of time. Of course, I'd set up garrisons on resource-rich planets so I could achieve all this.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Omeganian wrote:Take a complete Death Star II, add a hundred smaller superlasers all over the perimeter, a dozen Galaxy Guns, stock it with Suncrusher resonance torpedoes, fit it with a friendly Culture Mind to upgrade as it sees fit... did I go overboard at some point?
Well, you stopped short of giving it Sun Crusher armour and TARDIS abilities (ie "bigger on the inside", time travel, disguise itself to fit in with its surroundings). Or an Infinite Improbability Drive. :)
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Honestly I thought the DS2 on its own was overkill...but with everything there, and if you tossed in the Quantum, and Tardis Abilities, you essentially have the ultimate weapon.
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

I really can't give an answer at this point because, as always with such similar threads... A great deal is decided upon variables..
Have to say the OP did a very good job of covering a bunch of items that are often left out, usually things like...

Magically gaining the knowledge of a "real" captain of such a ship.
Having a Crew full of fanatical loyal members who will put up with someone who is CLEARLY not meant to be a leader of such a ship.
How stocked will the ship be.
How much fuel, supplies, weapons will I have.

That said, it is a tough choice, largely dependent on weather I choose to go into the Star Wars universe, or "here"
The Rational part of me would want to pick a practical ship and take it home, thus giving Humanity a footstep into the Stars and a massive tech boost. The problem is one, can we understand the tech without blowing it up, And two, is it possible to replicate what is essentially physic breaking "Magic" tech that the Wars universe uses...

Really, as I have stated in Plenty of other threads, I have no interest in playing Tyrant, Dictator, or Global Domination, I just want Humanity to get along with itself and survive.
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

I would be happy with the Millenium Falcon or the cool ship from KOTOR. :D
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

Duh, Home One. You know Ackbar was loving that chair on the end of the hydraulic arm.
What is Project Zohar?

Here's to a certain mostly harmless nutcase.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Have to say the OP did a very good job of covering a bunch of items that are often left out, usually things like...

Magically gaining the knowledge of a "real" captain of such a ship.
Having a Crew full of fanatical loyal members who will put up with someone who is CLEARLY not meant to be a leader of such a ship.
How stocked will the ship be.
How much fuel, supplies, weapons will I have.
Thank you. Yeah, I knew I missed a couple things, just couldn't figure out what at the time. Now then... to add on to the OP, you get a years worth of supplies (food, fuel, so on, unless you use the customization option to make greater food or fuel storage, which you can do). You also have the standard weapons for your ship, again you could slap more on, but it might not be a good idea the smaller the ship is. If anyone else has more suggestions I'll put them in too.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Given the limitations on fuel and supplies, the supersize World Devastator looks better and better. Especially if I can get the onboard AI to give it a ship-mounted superlaser. It doesn't have ot be planet-cracking power, just sufficient to one-shot an Eclipse or equivalent.

And then, most definitely jump to BSG/SG/ST verse MW. Would it be possible to fit the ship with an Alternate Reality jump drive? So I can do all three. And perhaps some inter-dimensional comms gear, so I can sell my services to all three human governments at once. I could murderise the Cylons, then the Dominion and Borg and finally the Wraith.

But I tihnk whilst in the SG verse I'd swap out my SW hyperdrive for a high-end ZPM powered Asgard hyperdrive. The kind that can jump from galaxy to galaxy in a matter of hours and minutes.

Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Given the limitations on fuel and supplies, the supersize World Devastator looks better and better. Especially if I can get the onboard AI to give it a ship-mounted superlaser. It doesn't have ot be planet-cracking power, just sufficient to one-shot an Eclipse or equivalent.

And then, most definitely jump to BSG/SG/ST verse MW. Would it be possible to fit the ship with an Alternate Reality jump drive? So I can do all three. And perhaps some inter-dimensional comms gear, so I can sell my services to all three human governments at once. I could murderise the Cylons, then the Dominion and Borg and finally the Wraith.

But I tihnk whilst in the SG verse I'd swap out my SW hyperdrive for a high-end ZPM powered Asgard hyperdrive. The kind that can jump from galaxy to galaxy in a matter of hours and minutes.
Yeah, for practical purposes a WD is a very useful ship. Not the best looking ship by any means (I stick by my dark green VSD for that :D ) but very useful nonetheless. And as far as the Alternate Reality drive...well I never said you couldn't do that... but wow, a multi-dimension killing spree.

At least you're only killing the bad guys. And nothing other than tech limitations is stopping you from slapping a superlaser on the WD, but with the only ones we have seen not being large enough for that, who knows if it is possible.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

The biggest one was IIRC 3 km long. But we know at least one ISD (The Conqueror) was fitted with a small ISD. Plus, we know the WD's can expand and grow as they go, and apparently eventually can build other WD's.

So, focus all the Droid Brain's efforts on expanding itself rather than building extra forces and let it sit in some random solar system for a while. Given enough time it can expand to the point where it CAN mount a superlaser, and build smaller World Devastators.

Then, let the smaller World Devastators chew through another solar system to set up a major base of operations whilst my mega Devastator (which according to wookiepedia there were plans to have mega ones, called Momma Devastators) goes on that multi-dimensional rampage. First the AR drive, then the Asgard hyperdrive. Might also swipe the Asgard stellar-manipulation tech as well for good measure.

Ok, so it'll take me a decade or so for the base of operations and the big ship to be complete. But if we are out of the way munching uninhabited planets no one will notice me at all.

FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

So if you put it in our universe, and in orbit of Earth. What would happen if someone decided to hand one of these things over to the local government. What exactly would happen there? Aside from the probability of WWIII happening overnight.

EDIT: Darn spelling.