New Redletter Media video about Lucas

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Jim Raynor
Sith Devotee

Re: New Redletter Media video about Lucas

Post by Jim Raynor »

Bakustra wrote:This seems to be what he's talking about. Oddly enough, it suggests that the Naboo are refusing to work and/or going on hunger strikes, rather than Snidely Gunray stealing all the food. Could it be that Raynor is incapable of understanding subtext or implications? Perish the thought!
Haha, I know which script you're quoting from, and where. The same scene in the actual movie makes no mention of any hunger strike. Gunray simply says "your people are starving," and the Naboo governor doesn't dispute it.

Love how you took another opportunity to pretend to be all big and smart, when in fact you were too lazy to do the research.
"They're not triangular, but they are more or less blade-shaped"- Thrawn McEwok on the shape of Bakura destroyers

"Lovely. It's known as impugning character regarding statement of professional qualifications' in the legal world"- Karen Traviss, crying libel because I said that no soldier she interviewed would claim that he can take on billion-to-one odds

"I've already laid out rules for this thread that we're not going to make these evidential demands"- Dark Moose on supporting your claims
Jim Raynor
Sith Devotee

Post by Jim Raynor »

Later on, from the actual movie (not some discarded previous draft of the screenplay):

Captain Pananka: As soon as we land, the Federation will arrest [the Queen], and force [her] to sign the treaty.

Qui-Gon: I agree.

ZOMG ONE LINE!

That's basically all I need (whatever else I can simply make up), going by Channel72's bizarro logic. Funny how this ONE line contradicts that other ONE LINE Channel72 is in love with, where Qui-Gon disputes that the Trade Fed wants the queen alive to sign a treaty. Funny how, when he's not in an urgent situation and being taken out of context, he says something that lines up with everything else that was clearly presented in the movie.

This is how stupid this thread is. The same four guys deliberately keeping the same stupid thread going in circles, for two months now.
"They're not triangular, but they are more or less blade-shaped"- Thrawn McEwok on the shape of Bakura destroyers

"Lovely. It's known as impugning character regarding statement of professional qualifications' in the legal world"- Karen Traviss, crying libel because I said that no soldier she interviewed would claim that he can take on billion-to-one odds

"I've already laid out rules for this thread that we're not going to make these evidential demands"- Dark Moose on supporting your claims
VF5SS
Sith Devotee

Post by VF5SS »

Ok so because I am a masochist, I started replaying the old PSX Phantom Menace game and despite its obvious shittyness, the people behind it seem to understand drama and pacing better than whoever made the movie.

So just going by the first level I also like how Polygon Kenobi is nervously looking out a window instead of sitting quietly at the table. Creates tension and yeah the door to the poison gas room is mysteriously open unlike in the film but hey the Battle Droids outside are actually a threat to the player. Especially if you attempt to use the hilariously awful dodge roll that moves you barely one character width to the left or right. You can find a blaster (SO UNCIVILIZED) or a thermal detonator in the side room with a Gonk Droid you can kill. Also the force push is tied to the little blue bar above you health and has to recharge after you knock over enemies. So now I actually know why Jedi don't force push all the time because they're only as good as a WoW Shaman :3. And sometimes a down Battle Droid will get back up or shoot you while it's the ground.

So Polygon and other guy are split up as they enter the ventilation shaft and as you make your way through the gigantic ducts which are full of big treaded droids that shock you if you're too close, the red blockade runner ship is blow up before your eyes. I like how after the array of PSX level explosions this big red starship turns into a flat panel with horrible textures. As you progress in the ventilation system for the love of the holy Zhonka watch out for the fan. So eventually you run over a grate that breaks and puts you back in the main hallways fighting Battle Droids. You do find a lone space Thailander and you can kill him. Next to him is a room with a generator you have to slash until it blows up. After that you run through some I guess are chain link tubes suspended over the hangar where Polygon sees the other guy in a different tube so they can to go in separate ships. The level ends when you get out of the tubes and get to a ship.

Oh so the game has the awesome double jump from the SNES games. That makes me so nostalgic~
プロジェクトゾハルとは何ですか?
ロボットが好き。
Gunhead
Jedi Council Member

Post by Gunhead »

I think Quin Gon thinking there's no sense to what TF is doing makes perfect sense. He was sent to negotiate an end to the blockade. So it follows he has in depth knowledge on the situation and cannot understand why TF would endanger their whole trade license by attacking Naboo. The tax issue is not a do or die situation to the TF so it makes no sense they'd risk all to get their way in it. If it was, they wouldn't have needed Palpy to instigate the invasion and the attempted assassination of the Jedi. The invasion doesn't still make any sense for the TF, if the tax issue had been make or break for the TF.. then maybe. As it is it's utterly stupid.
Haha, I know which script you're quoting from, and where. The same scene in the actual movie makes no mention of any hunger strike. Gunray simply says "your people are starving," and the Naboo governor doesn't dispute it.

Love how you took another opportunity to pretend to be all big and smart, when in fact you were too lazy to do the research.
He doesn't really admit it either. Gunray could have easily been blowing smoke up his ass and got called on it. This is still pretty much in the "he said she said" territory. Besides there's no real need for the TF to cause mass starvation, just make it appear it's happening or that there's general suffering. It's enough to pressure the governor to send a message to the queen to try and draw her out. Doctoring a single persons view is easy and the ease with the governor dismisses Gunray's threat basically enforces the image that Gunray was full of shit. If the people were in fact starving and the governor could have ended the starvation by ending the strike, what's the real harm? It's another hilarious example of let's bring up an issue and then dump it. A strike? Really? If they had tied the TF being evil asses to forcing the governor to send a message to the queen, that would have made sense.

-Gunhead
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
-Generalfeldmarschall Erwin Rommel

"And if you don't wanna feel like a putz
Collect the clues and connect the dots
You'll see the pattern that is bursting your bubble, and it's Bad" -The Hives
emersonlakeandbalmer
Padawan Learner

Post by emersonlakeandbalmer »

Jim Raynor wrote:
emersonlakeandbalmer wrote:So let me see if I have this right. TPM reinforces the idea that the TF owns the senate both with dialogue and with action on screen, but its "pseudo-logic" to deduce they control the senate?
They have enough Senators to obstruct the legal system from taking any action beyond "endlessly" debating things. They clearly didn't have enough Senators to get the taxes they want. I already said this before. This is beneath response.
So in TPM according to Raynor. The Senate is "too dysfunctional or apathetic" to even bother to see if Naboo is invaded because the TF has the power "obstruct the legal system." But they don't have the power to obstruct the taxation of trade routes with the same dysfunctional or apathetic Senate. Sure that makes PERFECT sense.

I love how you make up your own rules as to what the TF can and can't do. You're right it is beneath response because you continue to MAKE SHIT UP. The only one keeping this thread going in circles is you because of dumb as logic like this.
Channel72
Jedi Council Member

Post by Channel72 »

Jim Raynor wrote:
Channel72 wrote:You're actually comparing the American Revolution, which had many underlying causes and was concerned primarily with gaining independence from an overseas ruler, with the invasion of a random target by an aggressor? These things have so little in common, I don't even know what the fuck analogy you're trying to draw here, other than the superficial fact that both involved taxes.
Stop playing dumb. All the details don't have to line up exactly for a comparison to be made. Fact is, in actual history, people have been willing to fight long wars and die over things like taxes, or simple economic gain.
The details don't need to exactly line up, but there has to be some point to your analogy. All you're saying is taxes = motivation to invade Naboo because in the real world America fought a war over taxes. Except, the American Revolution wasn't fought over taxes: it was fought because Americans were being taxed without having any representation in Parliament. That's not some trivial detail that can be glossed over for the purpose of the analogy: that fucking kills the whole analogy.

The fact is there's no real historical analogy to the situation in TPM, so there's no frame of reference here to say what's believable or reasonable. The situation in the opening crawl would be something akin to FedEx blockading Guam to protest shipping taxes, I guess. Seems like a pretty bizarre scenario to say the least. Again, this all ties into how opaque the whole plot is, even though it didn't have to be. Evil interstellar mega-corporations are a sci-fi staple, so all Lucas needed to do was say the TF invaded Naboo to mine it for resources or something. Instead, he says their blockading Naboo to protest taxes, and then has them invade and occupy Naboo which seems like an insane move that doesn't clearly benefit the TF.

You can't even explain how invading and occupying Naboo would result in lower taxes without blurting out speculation after speculation. I guess it was supposed to be: 1) blockade Naboo, 2) invade Naboo, 3) make Padme sign treaty legalizing invasion, 4) [insert Jim Raynor fan-fiction "analysis"] 5) Senate lowers taxes.
To counter this, you make up the argument that the ground invasion was too expensive and hard for them to reasonably make. It's too expensive and hard because you say so. Something that is not at all supported by the movie, which showed that the invasion was always part of the plan, and that the Naboo could mount no serious defense of the planet at all. You claim that the blockade itself was already "effective," with NO support as to why it was effective either (it wasn't).
This coming from someone who literally just wrote over 100 pages of pure speculation to explain the plot to TPM. I never claimed the ground invasion was too expensive or hard for them to reasonably make. I said that, obviously, a ground invasion is a lot more expensive than a blockade. Do you really need me to defend that statement?
Jim Raynor wrote:
Channel72 wrote:Qui-Gon's line here refers to the Trade Federation's actions in general - invading, occupying, etc. He thinks there's something deeper going on here, because on the surface the invasion doesn't make much sense. Of course, he's correct: the Trade Federation is actually the puppet of a Sith Lord.
I see your rhetorical trick and leap in logic here. Qui-Gon says it doesn't make sense...therefore he's completely right and it doesn't make sense? Nevermind that it's pretty easy to see that the invasion accomplishes the same thing as the blockade (lock down Naboo and create an undesirable situation). Or that the Trade Fed DID in fact want Padme alive for the exact reasons stated by her subordinates.
If the invasion accomplishes the same thing as the blockade, why the fuck are they invading? Just keep up the blockade until the Senate caves.
You realize that Qui-Gon had just recently escaped attempts on his own life, right? When someone tries to commit violence or murder against you, you call them crazy or irrational. That's how people talk. Qui-Gon is there to enforce the peace. To Qui-Gon, the "logical" thing for the Trade Fed to do is to roll over for him without any resistance. And oh yeah, Qui-Gon was urgently trying to get the Queen out while enemy troops lurked in the next room. The gist of that simple scene was that Qui-Gon was trying to get the queen the hell out of there, not that he had a perfect understanding of the situation.
More speculation. A straightforward reading of the line, or watching of the scene, simply reveals that Qui-Gon thinks something fishy is going on here. Just because Qui-Gon also was trying to get the Queen to safety doesn't mean that every line in that scene is motivated solely by that goal. Yeah, he wants to get her to safety, but he also thinks there's more to the Naboo situation than a simple tax dispute. This recalls his earlier line, about sensing a lot of fear over a simple tax dispute.
I fully believe that you're intentionally dragging this thread out in circles.
I believe the same about you, so I guess we'll just have to keep this up until Mike Wong's hard drive runs out of diskspace.
Jim Raynor wrote:It's "speculation" to assume that Sidious didn't want the things that he directly ordered. It's "speculation" to assume that master chess player Sidious would take the stupid bet against all odds. When the things he directly ordered, had they gone to plan, would have benefitted him anyway, and far easier.
Of course it's speculation, because the movie never tells us exactly what Palpatine is up to. It's speculation by definition, since you're just making it up, you moron. You never seem to get that. How do we know Sidious "wanted the things he directly ordered" when he might simply be playing the Trade Federation for fools? How do we know expecting Padme would show up on Coruscant is a "stupid bet against all odds"? Anyone who saw the OT knows that Palpatine is an evil sorcerer that forsees things all the time, just like how he foresaw Luke showing up on Endor in ROTJ. When I first saw TPM, I assumed Padme showing up on Coruscant was part of the whole plan. Having the young, innocent Queen whose people are suffering call for a new Chancellor is the perfect opportunity to get Palpatine into power. Whatever the case may be, the reality is that Padme did show up, so whatever Palpatine originally intended to do is never explained, and anything you say about it, regardless of how "SIMPLE" you claim it might be, is pure speculative bullshit.
Enough for me and most of the audience out there. Enough for LITTLE KIDS to understand this movie.
Ahh... the "but LITTLE KIDS understand it!!" strawman. This utterly dishonest argument has already been sufficiently refuted by countless other people in this thread.
Jim Raynor wrote:
Channel72 wrote:but much of your 100-page rebuttal amounts to simply giving your own SD.net-style interpretation/analysis of the events as if that somehow refutes the overall point.
Haha, ANOTHER repetition of your no-substance "overall point" excuse again. You're defending a guy who makes rape and poopie jokes, who thinks that it makes more sense to trek through hostile wilderness on foot than seek aid in a nearby city. Who thinks Rambo is an example of good tactics. The guy is a fool, and so are you.
And.... once again you fail miserably at reading comprehension. I'm not talking about some nebulous overall point, you illiterate fuck. A good portion of your 100 page essay is simply you SPECULATING about stuff that isn't in the movie. RLM points out something in the film that's left unexplained to the audience, and you reply by SPECULATING about some possible explanation. How much clearer can I be when I say: you're missing the point.

I mean, Jesus: here's a paragraph from your rebuttal. I'll just bold the parts which are your own fan-faction speculation:
Jim Raynor's Essay wrote:
Red Letter Media wrote:Plinkett: "Now this is where it gets complex, my lovelies. So I think this is what
happened, I'm not sure. But Palpatine wanted to create a crisis on Naboo, so that
the naive young queen would propose a vote of no confidence for Chancellor
Valorum. This would lead to Palpatine getting elected in his place, right? Like I
mean, that's the plot? I think? So how does killing the Jedi or creating a
communications blackout even get word back to the [Senate] that there is a crisis?"
Here, we have another example of bad, lazy analysis. Once again, Stoklasa creates
problems that don't have to exist, while ignoring or failing to realize the easy answers
that are already available.

The cowardly Trade Federation was ready to surrender and end the blockade once they
got word that the "ambassadors" were actually Jedi. Sidious had to tell them to fight,
because if they didn't fight then the whole scheme would end right then and there.
The communications jamming is also easily explained. Sidious could have ordered the
jamming, to buy the Trade Federation time until it got the Queen to sign an unequal
treaty. A treaty that would nonetheless give them the legal loophole they would need to
avoid quick punishment. Jamming the communications however does not mean that
the Senate is unaware that there's a crisis; a member world that was already under
blockade would be entirely cut off from so much as talking to others. Jamming creates
an absence of communication which is obviously noticeable and undesirable. But even
with something fishy obviously going on, the jamming could keep the details of the
invasion obscured enough that the (corrupt and useless) Senators won't take immediate
action. It also still allows Palpatine to put on an extended show as he "fights" the
corruption and garners sympathy for being such a hero to his people.
Holy shit, that paragraph is like 65% speculation. You do know that none of that is actually in the movie, right? You're basically claiming that Palpatine's original plan was to put on an extended show, fighting corruption in the Senate. You realize, that's actually not in the movie: it's just your own fucking guess. Or have you become so immersed in Star Wars analysis lately that you can't even tell your own fan-fiction from the actual films anymore?

You also ignored the point that many other people, such as the owner of this site as an example, have come to entirely different conclusions as to what Palpatine's original plan involved, and how Padme played into his scheme. So, clearly, your particular explanation is by no means obvious or necessarily correct.
Jim Raynor
Sith Devotee

Post by Jim Raynor »

LOL, I come back after the Thanksgiving holiday to see that this thread is STILL stuck in the same stupid circle, being stalled by the same stubborn trolls. I said a while ago that this thread had degenerated into a joke. It is now a parody of that joke. Channel72 continues to pretend he has a point...when his entire drawn-out post boils down to pure denial.
Channel72 wrote:The details don't need to exactly line up, but there has to be some point to your analogy. All you're saying is taxes = motivation to invade Naboo because in the real world America fought a war over taxes. Except, the American Revolution wasn't fought over taxes: it was fought because Americans were being taxed without having any representation in Parliament. That's not some trivial detail that can be glossed over for the purpose of the analogy: that fucking kills the whole analogy.

The fact is there's no real historical analogy to the situation in TPM, so there's no frame of reference here to say what's believable or reasonable.
Oh please, there's no validity in the analogy at all...because you say so. Fact is, people fight over economics and resources. Oil. Farm land. Opening up ports for trade.
Evil interstellar mega-corporations are a sci-fi staple, so all Lucas needed to do was say the TF invaded Naboo to mine it for resources or something.
And this is all that different to making a show of force over a tax dispute because??? Oh yeah, because you insist so.
You can't even explain how invading and occupying Naboo would result in lower taxes without blurting out speculation after speculation. I guess it was supposed to be: 1) blockade Naboo, 2) invade Naboo, 3) make Padme sign treaty legalizing invasion, 4) [insert Jim Raynor fan-fiction "analysis"] 5) Senate lowers taxes.
"Speculation after speculation." Yeah, like "Naboo is on the other side of the trade dispute, or the Senators on the other side don't want to see the world blockaded." Oh wow, that was sooo hard to explain.
To counter this, you make up the argument that the ground invasion was too expensive and hard for them to reasonably make. It's too expensive and hard because you say so. Something that is not at all supported by the movie, which showed that the invasion was always part of the plan, and that the Naboo could mount no serious defense of the planet at all. You claim that the blockade itself was already "effective," with NO support as to why it was effective either (it wasn't).
This coming from someone who literally just wrote over 100 pages of pure speculation to explain the plot to TPM. I never claimed the ground invasion was too expensive or hard for them to reasonably make. I said that, obviously, a ground invasion is a lot more expensive than a blockade. Do you really need me to defend that statement?
You CAN'T defend that statement. You're arguing that the invasion was unreasonable, because it's "more expensive" than the blockade. Despite those troops already being deployed on those blockading ships (hell, the ground invasion allowed them to LIFT the naval blockade), and the fact that the Naboo can offer no serious resistance to the invasion and occupation. So the Trade Fed obviously thought that the increase in effort required to invade was acceptable. And your argument against this is what? Oh yeah, you insist it's irrational. Your conclusion is your argument.
Channel72 wrote:Qui-Gon's line here refers to the Trade Federation's actions in general - invading, occupying, etc. He thinks there's something deeper going on here, because on the surface the invasion doesn't make much sense. Of course, he's correct: the Trade Federation is actually the puppet of a Sith Lord.
What kind of argument are you even trying to make here? An appeal to authority for a fictional character? :lol:

Seriously, it's just bizarre. No wait, I don't even believe you're for real. It's just desperate. Qui-Gon makes an off the cuff statement about the Trade Fed acting illogically, after surviving attempts on his life, while his priority is to get the Queen the hell out of there, while he's in the process of denying a consensus that was verified by everyone else in the movie. The consensus being that the Trade Fed intends to capture the queen alive and make her sign a treaty, which HE HIMSELF later agrees with when he's not in such a pressing situation.

So Qui-Gon says the Trade Fed is illogical, and therefore the Trade Fed automatically has no reason at all to be doing the things they do. Because you insist that is so.
If the invasion accomplishes the same thing as the blockade, why the fuck are they invading? Just keep up the blockade until the Senate caves.
You are SUCH a troll. The clearly useless Senate is stuck "endlessly debating" the situation, as was clearly written out onscreen.

And oh yeah, a ground invasion is an escalation of force to get things going with the hopes of achieving the objective sooner. This is like saying "why did the US send ground troops into Kuwait, if they could just keep bombing Saddam?"
More speculation. A straightforward reading of the line, or watching of the scene, simply reveals that Qui-Gon thinks something fishy is going on here. Just because Qui-Gon also was trying to get the Queen to safety doesn't mean that every line in that scene is motivated solely by that goal.
LOL, you're one to talk about "straightforward reading" while you flatly deny everything else that is clearly presented to you in the movie. I said it before, the amount of effort needed to extrapolate one meaningless line from Qui-Gon (again, while he's denying things that are completely true) is way more than is needed to take the rest of the movie at face value. You're not even trying to discuss things honestly. You embarass yourself the more you drag things out.
And.... once again you fail miserably at reading comprehension. I'm not talking about some nebulous overall point, you illiterate fuck. A good portion of your 100 page essay is simply you SPECULATING about stuff that isn't in the movie. RLM points out something in the film that's left unexplained to the audience, and you reply by SPECULATING about some possible explanation. How much clearer can I be when I say: you're missing the point.
Haha, I love how you just try to dismiss everything in my rebuttal as "speculation" when your'e basically too lazy to actually refute the thing. When you've stupidly attached yourself to defending a guy who makes rape and poop jokes.
I mean, Jesus: here's a paragraph from your rebuttal. I'll just bold the parts which are your own fan-faction speculation:
Jim Raynor's Essay wrote:
Red Letter Media wrote:Plinkett: "Now this is where it gets complex, my lovelies. So I think this is what
happened, I'm not sure. But Palpatine wanted to create a crisis on Naboo, so that
the naive young queen would propose a vote of no confidence for Chancellor
Valorum. This would lead to Palpatine getting elected in his place, right? Like I
mean, that's the plot? I think? So how does killing the Jedi or creating a
communications blackout even get word back to the [Senate] that there is a crisis?"
Here, we have another example of bad, lazy analysis. Once again, Stoklasa creates
problems that don't have to exist, while ignoring or failing to realize the easy answers
that are already available.

The cowardly Trade Federation was ready to surrender and end the blockade once they
got word that the "ambassadors" were actually Jedi. Sidious had to tell them to fight,
because if they didn't fight then the whole scheme would end right then and there.
The communications jamming is also easily explained. Sidious could have ordered the
jamming, to buy the Trade Federation time until it got the Queen to sign an unequal
treaty. A treaty that would nonetheless give them the legal loophole they would need to
avoid quick punishment. Jamming the communications however does not mean that
the Senate is unaware that there's a crisis; a member world that was already under
blockade would be entirely cut off from so much as talking to others. Jamming creates
an absence of communication which is obviously noticeable and undesirable. But even
with something fishy obviously going on, the jamming could keep the details of the
invasion obscured enough that the (corrupt and useless) Senators won't take immediate
action. It also still allows Palpatine to put on an extended show as he "fights" the
corruption and garners sympathy for being such a hero to his people.
Holy shit, that paragraph is like 65% speculation.
You call it speculation...yet all of that is a valid explanation for the movie. Valid explanations which did not even have to be made, because the RLM criticisms I was refuting there were stupid. I mean wow, the charge being made against the movie there was basically:

-Why the Trade Fed was jamming during a military attack
-And why they apparently kept up the jamming when they weren't ready to acknowledge the invasion, lacking the treaty they had planned for.

If you need those things explained, then you are a complete idiot. No excuses. I entertained that BS because I like to take down stupidity on multiple levels. Don't confuse that as those being good questions.

And the way you continue to stick up for Stoklasa is utterly hilarious. I've said it before, people like you have turned him into some kind of nerd idol. You see the depth and intelligence in his review that you WANT to see, because you want someone to rally behind and symbolize all the hatred you have for this movie.

As I said before, even if you despise TPM, you need to pick a better champion than that.

Jim Raynor
Sith Devotee

Post by Jim Raynor »

TL;DR version:

"The Trade Fed's actions can't be understood or explained, because a ground invasion that I haven't done the cost-benefit analysis of is 'more expensive.' They had no reason to invade since the blockade was effective (because I say so), despite the fact that it hadn't achieved anything yet. Qui-Gon said that the Trade Fed was acting illogically, so I'll cherry pick that and ignore what everyone else throughout the movie says about things. And oh yeah, your hundred-page rebuttal is a bunch of worthless speculation because you actually bothered answering the stupid question of why the Trade Fed would jam someone they're invading."

This is such embarassing, dishonest, and desperate trolling. Channel72 (and all the other RLM fanboy worshippers), you should be ashamed of yourselves.
Last edited by Jim Raynor on 2011-11-27 01:04am, edited 1 time in total.

Bakustra
Sith Devotee

Post by Bakustra »

Jim Raynor wrote:TL;DR version:

"The Trade Fed's actions can't be understood or explained, because a ground invasion that I haven't done the cost analysis of is 'too expensive.' They had no reason to invade since the blockade was effective (because I say so), despite the fact that it hadn't achieved anything yet. Qui-Gon said that the Trade Fed was acting illogically, so I'll cherry pick that and ignore what everyone else throughout the movie says about things. And oh yeah, your hundred-page rebuttal is a bunch of worthless speculation because you actually bothered answering the stupid question of why the Trade Fed would jam someone they're invading."

This is such embarassing, dishonest, and desperate trolling. Channel72 (and all the other RLM fanboy worshippers), you should be ashamed of yourselves.
So you're willing to accept real-world parallels (The American Revolution lololol) when it benefits you, but are unwilling to do so when it doesn't benefit you (invasions being more expensive than blockades).

Please

Don't

Troll

Fuckface
Invited by the new age, the elegant Sailor Neptune!
I mean, how often am I to enter a game of riddles with the author, where they challenge me with some strange and confusing and distracting device, and I'm supposed to unravel it and go "I SEE WHAT YOU DID THERE" and take great personal satisfaction and pride in our mutual cleverness?
- The Handle, from the TVTropes Forums
Jim Raynor
Sith Devotee

Post by Jim Raynor »

LMAO! I love it!

Bakustra with another crude, angry post, where he asserts his superiority again while clearly demonstrating his inability to keep up with anything.
So you're willing to accept real-world parallels (The American Revolution lololol) when it benefits you, but are unwilling to do so when it doesn't benefit you (invasions being more expensive than blockades).
I'm supposedly "unwilling" to accept that a ground invasion is more expensive than a naval blockade...that is NOT at all the point being discussed. The point is that Channel72 is asserting that the invasion is illogical and can't be explained or understood, simply because he insists that it's more expensive. Never mind that spending more or making a bigger effort is what people do if they don't automatically get their way, if they still think the benefits are worth it.

But Channel72 is a troll. And so are you.

Good night to you too man. :)

Bakustra
Sith Devotee

Post by Bakustra »

That's a strawman of what he said, troll. Try again! See, I can keep this up too! No need to actually put any though in my posts if I just add smilies and a facade of being cool! Well, Raynor, if you were a refrigerator, all the food in you would have spoiled long ago and also it would be covered in shit. Lol! :) :v
Invited by the new age, the elegant Sailor Neptune!
I mean, how often am I to enter a game of riddles with the author, where they challenge me with some strange and confusing and distracting device, and I'm supposed to unravel it and go "I SEE WHAT YOU DID THERE" and take great personal satisfaction and pride in our mutual cleverness?
- The Handle, from the TVTropes Forums
Panzersharkcat
Jedi Council Member

Post by Panzersharkcat »

For fuck's sake, stop posting, Raynor. Let this thread die. Every time I see this thread rise to the top of Pure Star Wars, I want to throttle somebody.
"I'm just reading through your formspring here, and your responses to many questions seem to indicate that you are ready and willing to sacrifice realism/believability for the sake of (sometimes) marginal increases in gameplay quality. Why is this?"
"Because until I see gamers sincerely demanding that if they get winged in the gut with a bullet that they spend the next three hours bleeding out on the ground before permanently dying, they probably are too." - J.E. Sawyer
APD1026
Redshirt

Post by APD1026 »

Jim Raynor wrote:
The worst denunciation of Stoklasa's work didn't even come from me, but from his own fanboys. I found it hilarious when almost all of them (guys who had signed up on this board specifically to defend him) eventually fell back to calling his review nothing but stupid comedy. Because calling something stupid somehow protects it from criticisms of stupidity...
This is interesting to me. I have watched all of RLM's reviews of both Star Trek and Star Wars. I have also read Mr. Raynor's 108-page condemnation of RLM's Phantom Menace review. I would like to join this discussion, but let me preface my post by saying a few things:

1. Yes, I signed up for this board because I am interested in this ongoing conflict. As someone who disliked the prequel trilogy not only from the very beginning (when Episode 1 was first released I was 9), but continues to dislike it presently, as an adult, I was very interested to see people defending it so vehemently.

2. What I am not interested in doing is defending RLM exclusively. I am also not interested in defending RLM on the basis of the review in and of itself.

3. I realize I am stepping into a warzone but I plan on being somewhat active in this discussion, mainly because it fascinates me.

Anyway, I chose to dissect Mr. Raynor's last lengthy post, simply because it was the most recent. Here I go...
Jim Raynor wrote:
Channel72 wrote:The details don't need to exactly line up, but there has to be some point to your analogy. All you're saying is taxes = motivation to invade Naboo because in the real world America fought a war over taxes. Except, the American Revolution wasn't fought over taxes: it was fought because Americans were being taxed without having any representation in Parliament. That's not some trivial detail that can be glossed over for the purpose of the analogy: that fucking kills the whole analogy.

The fact is there's no real historical analogy to the situation in TPM, so there's no frame of reference here to say what's believable or reasonable.
Oh please, there's no validity in the analogy at all...because you say so. Fact is, people fight over economics and resources. Oil. Farm land. Opening up ports for trade.
People do fight over all of these things when it comes to war in real life. I take issue, though, with the specific example of the American Revolution. As Channel72 states, the biggest issue was the lack of representation in the British Parliament that drove the Americans over the edge. Of course, legislation such as the Quartering Acts (which required American colonists to quarter British soldiers if told to do so), the Navigation Acts (which, among other things, stated that American vessels on the high seas could be taken over by the British if they chose to do so), and the Declaratory Act (which stated that England could make whatever laws for the colonies that they wanted, no matter what) also contributed to the hatred towards the crown which spurred the American Revolution. These laws had nothing to do with taxes, but were just as important to the cause. This, of course, is also without mentioning important historical events such as the Boston Massacre, in which 3 colonists (Samuel Gray, James Caldwell, and Crispus Attucks) were killed instantly by British soldiers and two more died as a result of injuries sustained during the shootings.

Basically, the idea that American Revolution is a worthy comparison to the Naboo situation suggests a very miniscule understanding of either United States history, The Phantom Menace itself, or both. Again, it must be stressed that the colonists had zero meaningful representation in the British Parliament in the years leading up to the Revolution, whereas both the Trade Federation and the people of Naboo are seemingly equal in their representation in the Senate. If anything, the implied influence the Trade Fed has over the Senate perhaps places them in a considerably more powerful position than the Naboo.
Jim Raynor wrote:
"Speculation after speculation." Yeah, like "Naboo is on the other side of the trade dispute, or the Senators on the other side don't want to see the world blockaded." Oh wow, that was sooo hard to explain.
This point is confusing to me mainly because the film never states what side of the tax dispute the Naboo are on. In fact, pointing to Mr. Raynor's criticism of RLM, the taxes themselves are nothing more than a MacGuffin, an object that exists solely to drive the plot but in reality has no actual effect on the plot itself. The taxes are the reason for the story to begin, to use another dramatic term they are what is known as the "inciting incident." In any case, the Trade Fed is blockading Naboo because they expect to see the trade laws revised in their favor using Sidious's influence in the Senate. At least, that is a logical conclusion necessitated by the fact that the film never tells us why the Trade Fed is following Sidious's orders.

In any case, I feel both Raynor and his adversary (I believe it is Channel72 here, but the quote does not say) are both wrong in this situation, Raynor for trying to say that the Naboo are on the opposite side of the trade argument, and Channel72 for saying that it is impossible to explain how the blockade of Naboo will result in favorable tax laws. While this explanation is never explicitly stated, when one considers it, it seems to make a good deal of sense. After all, Sidious says he can "make the blockade legal" in the Senate; how hard would it be to think the Trade Fed assumes he can get taxes lowered as well?
Jim Raynor wrote:
You CAN'T defend that statement. You're arguing that the invasion was unreasonable, because it's "more expensive" than the blockade. Despite those troops already being deployed on those blockading ships (hell, the ground invasion allowed them to LIFT the naval blockade), and the fact that the Naboo can offer no serious resistance to the invasion and occupation. So the Trade Fed obviously thought that the increase in effort required to invade was acceptable. And your argument against this is what? Oh yeah, you insist it's irrational. Your conclusion is your argument.
Before I attempt to discuss the idea of blockades versus ground wars, I want to say that since we are working under the assumption that Sidious ordered the ground war as the next step of the plan, should he not have forseen the possible involvement of the Gungans in a war on the planet's surface? After all, Obi-Wan does make the argument to Boss Nass that what affects the Naboo will also affect the Gungans, a point defended in Mr. Raynor's essay. Eventually the Gungans were going to get involved when the symbiote relationship they shared with the Naboo came into jeopardy. While this resistance did not come from the Naboo, it still came from the planet itself. Finally, lifting the blockade as a result of the ground war beginning is not exactly that much of a boon financially, considering how little effort the blockade seemed to require on the part of the Trade Fed.

Furthermore, on the subject of the Naboo people's resistance, using a historical example might be appropriate, seeing as how historical comparisons have been attempted in this discussion already. Once more preceding the Revolutionary War in America, in the wake of such events as the Boston Massacre, Great Britain closed the ports of Boston. The city was almost entirely cut off from the outside world, and the people within became restless. While one might argue that the Naboo did not possess very advanced military technology (being a peaceful people), they did possess a capacity for a sophisticated elective monarchy complete with regional governors and term limits on the monarch themselves. My point being that the Naboo seem to be pretty advanced and intelligent. Battledroids, on the other hand, have never exhibited what I would call intelligence; they basically follow whatever orders are given to them by the droid control ship. The people could have organized resistance groups (such as the Sons of Liberty, again from the American Revolution) and fought against the droid army using subterfuge, sabotage, and spying. Hell, even the Boston Tea Party managed to get a message across, and that was a couple of colonists dressed as Native Americans taking on the biggest power on the face of the Earth. What I'm saying is that there are a potential host of other problems that arise when the battle is taken to the planet's surface. At least from space if anyone tried to attack the blockade they would get gunned down immediately (theoretically, and also assuming the ship wasn't carrying the main characters of a space opera onboard, of course :wink: ).

Ok so moving on to the concept of blockade vs. ground war. While true that we can not defend the statement that a blockade is less expensive than a ground war in the context of Star Wars, turning once more to history may shed light on the matter (again, just going on precedent here). Look at the events leading up to World War II. The League of Nations (precursor to the United Nations) continually attempted to appease Adolf Hitler's various demands, with weak leadership in France and Great Britain, as well as the USA's refusal to join, allowing it to continue. The war did not start officially until Germany invaded Poland, a country who was forced to fight tanks with cavalry (literally), on September 1st, 1939. Of course, the turning point in the war came when Hitler spread his forces too thin by invading the Soviet Union, coupled with the USA's entry into the war. The invasion of a weak and ill-equipped nation only served to inspire other to take up the cause in their defense! Open defiance against a bully nation picking on the weak was also exhibited before the American Revolution, when events such as the Boston Massacre caused the rest of the colonies to call the First Continental Congress in 1774 (minus Georgia, who did not attend).

Anyway, it seems that ground wars can get pretty costly, especially when other nations get involed. Don't forget, the American Revolution would not have been possible if the French hadn't gotten involved once the actual ground war started by sending troops and military advisors who had experience fighting the British; after all, the British/French rivalry was the longest-running feud in European history at that point.
Jim Raynor wrote:
What kind of argument are you even trying to make here? An appeal to authority for a fictional character? :lol:

Seriously, it's just bizarre. No wait, I don't even believe you're for real. It's just desperate. Qui-Gon makes an off the cuff statement about the Trade Fed acting illogically, after surviving attempts on his life, while his priority is to get the Queen the hell out of there, while he's in the process of denying a consensus that was verified by everyone else in the movie. The consensus being that the Trade Fed intends to capture the queen alive and make her sign a treaty, which HE HIMSELF later agrees with when he's not in such a pressing situation.

So Qui-Gon says the Trade Fed is illogical, and therefore the Trade Fed automatically has no reason at all to be doing the things they do. Because you insist that is so.
Okay so I think somebody already addressed this but I'm going to reiterate that Qui-Gon is only following up on the strange feeling he got while on the Trade Fed ship, a feeling that has been all but confirmed when the Jedi are attacked and forced to flee to the planet. Qui-Gon believes that the Trade Fed was informed their negotiations would be peaceful, and while he has no way of knowing the Viceroy ordered them killed after he found out they were Jedi, he still knows they were afraid of what was going on, because he says he senses fear in the air. In any case, Qui-Gon must know that something fishy is going on because of the strange set of circumstances which led the Jedi to Naboo in the first place. All I'm saying is that it seems like Channel72's interpretation is accurate here.
Jim Raynor wrote:
You are SUCH a troll. The clearly useless Senate is stuck "endlessly debating" the situation, as was clearly written out onscreen.
Again, this goes back to what you want to believe in terms of the Darth Sidious situation. If you believe Sidious at the very beginning of the movie, he has the influence to make the invasion of an innocent planet legal due to his influence. This does not address the fact that it definitely must have been Sidious who ordered the invasion as well, as Mr. Raynor has pointed out, because it seems to have been a natural extension of his plan. In any case, the Trade Fed maintained the blockade for an undisclosed amount of time, which may have been quite a while if the Senate has been locked in "endless debates." While I can recognize hyperbole when I read it, it still has to be a long amount of time to warrant being called "endless," right? The Trade Fed therefore must have had faith that either:

A) The blockade would eventually be reason enough to get the Senate to cave

or

B) Darth Sidious would use his pull in the Senate to MAKE them decide
Jim Raynor wrote:
Haha, I love how you just try to dismiss everything in my rebuttal as "speculation" when your'e basically too lazy to actually refute the thing. When you've stupidly attached yourself to defending a guy who makes rape and poop jokes.
To digress from Star Wars itself and talk about RLM, I take issue with people reading too much into the reviews, which seems to be going on in both camps here. Mr. Stoklasa, of RLM, has not made a secret about his dislike of the prequels, that much is true for sure. One thing that people must remember is that the reviews of the prequels, as well the "Mr. Plinkett" character itself, are parodies of stereotypical fanboy arguments. Hyperbole, even gross hyperbole (such as saying something occurs 45 minutes long, when it is actually 12 minutes, eh Mr. Raynor?) is just one characteristic of parody. By hyperbole, I am of course talking about the way Mr. Plinkett gets the timings wrong, the way he describes the Original Trilogy with such rose-tinted glasses, and the way he blasts George Lucas (in a manner similar to people who claim the director "raped their childhood"). Plinkett's laughably boisterous reactions to the prequels are clearly mimicking incensed Star Wars fans everywhere who were offended by them.

This is where I take the biggest issue with Mr. Raynor's essay, in fact. Mr. Raynor uses the terms "RedLetterMedia," "Mike Stoklasa," and "Mr. Plinkett" interchangeably, and even says he does so on purpose. This is the fundamental mistake with the review itself. Plinkett is a character, a fictional character created by Stoklasa for comedic purposes. Just because the man happens to agree with Plinkett's point of view does not necessarily mean he shares them to the same psychotic degree. Plinkett is a deranged, serial-killing shut-in who also happens to be a film critic; Mike Stoklasa is a film buff who started a website that caters to both fans of comedy and film alike. I am not making the case that the review is just "stupid comedy;" quite the opposite, I felt it was a pretty well-written parody of the very arguments we are having on this discussion board. I have shown the videos to a number of friends and family (not actors), all Star Wars fans, and they have all agreed that it's a pretty decent example of parody. Still, one must remember that Plinkett is not a real person with real beliefs, he is a caricature who operates based on preconceived "fanboy" instincts.

Do I enjoy everything RLM does? Definitely not, but I see the worth in a lot of what they do. I'm just trying to make a reasonable case for once, which I haven't seen happening much here on this site. By the way, I respect Mr. Raynor putting his money where his mouth is, so to speak, and putting together such a detailed argument, flawed as I feel it may be.
Jim Raynor wrote:
You call it speculation...yet all of that is a valid explanation for the movie. Valid explanations which did not even have to be made, because the RLM criticisms I was refuting there were stupid. I mean wow, the charge being made against the movie there was basically:

-Why the Trade Fed was jamming during a military attack
-And why they apparently kept up the jamming when they weren't ready to acknowledge the invasion, lacking the treaty they had planned for.

If you need those things explained, then you are a complete idiot. No excuses. I entertained that BS because I like to take down stupidity on multiple levels. Don't confuse that as those being good questions.

And the way you continue to stick up for Stoklasa is utterly hilarious. I've said it before, people like you have turned him into some kind of nerd idol. You see the depth and intelligence in his review that you WANT to see, because you want someone to rally behind and symbolize all the hatred you have for this movie.

As I said before, even if you despise TPM, you need to pick a better champion than that.
Ok first of all, in a place where people are trying to have a reasoned debate there is no room for name-calling on either side. Both sides of this issue have used terms such as "stupid," "illiterate Fuck" and "complete idiot." Come on people, be better than that.

Moving on, just because an explanation is valid does not mean it isn't speculation. Hell, I have speculated a lot of stuff in this very post. But speculation is good, because it comes from opinions and allows people to see events from angles that are different from the one in which they were originally presented.

Once more, I want to stress that while I do find the merit in some of Stoklasa's work under the RLM label, I do not view him as the Messiah of Anti-Prequel Sentiment. I was able to form my own negative opinion of the prequels from the time Episode 1 was first released way back in 1999, to the present day, with the (in my opinion, unnecessary) 3D Theatrical re-release of the same film on the horizon. I just wanted to get involved in this debate because I have so many problems with the prequels of my own, and I learned about this community of people through Mr. Raynor's association with it.

So that's my first post, I only ask that if you plan on replying please refrain from name-calling and other juvenile tactics, as I have tried to do myself.
G1d3on
Redshirt

Post by G1d3on »

I tend to side more with Raynor on this issue, but I thought RLM's reviews were hilarious and I've gotta give APD major kudos for being utterly civil and making some insightful points. Well done.
Channel72
Jedi Council Member

Post by Channel72 »

Jim Raynor wrote:

Nice. So basically you admit that your analogy only works when reduced to the vaguest, broadest of parameters. Yeah, people fight over stuff in the real word, therefore TPM makes total sense. :roll:
Jim Raynor wrote:
Channel72 wrote:Evil interstellar mega-corporations are a sci-fi staple, so all Lucas needed to do was say the TF invaded Naboo to mine it for resources or something.
And this is all that different to making a show of force over a tax dispute because??? Oh yeah, because you insist so.
It's different because it's immediately understandable to people who don't have a Bachelor's Degree in Star Wars analysis.
Jim Raynor wrote:
Channel72 wrote:You can't even explain how invading and occupying Naboo would result in lower taxes without blurting out speculation after speculation. I guess it was supposed to be: 1) blockade Naboo, 2) invade Naboo, 3) make Padme sign treaty legalizing invasion, 4) [insert Jim Raynor fan-fiction "analysis"] 5) Senate lowers taxes.
I already highlighted the type of bullshit speculation you spout out. And once again you're begging the question by conflating the blockade (which we all agree IS explained) with the invasion (which we DON'T agree is explained.)
Jim Raynor wrote:
Channel72 wrote: This coming from someone who literally just wrote over 100 pages of pure speculation to explain the plot to TPM. I never claimed the ground invasion was too expensive or hard for them to reasonably make. I said that, obviously, a ground invasion is a lot more expensive than a blockade. Do you really need me to defend that statement?
No idiot, I'm not arguing the invasion was necessarily unreasonable. I'm arguing that the script never provides a solid reason for the invasion, beyond Palpatine told them to do it. We don't have a clear idea of what's in it for them. Since an invasion is more work than a blockade, and since it's the primary conflict in the movie, it would be nice to have a clear explanation.
Jim Raynor wrote:
Jesus, you're getting boring. It gets tiresome to have to continuously hold you by the hand and walk you through every fucking argument I make, lest you shit out another strawman like this. What exactly don't you get: Qui-Gon says things like "I sense a lot of fear over this TRIVIAL TAX DISPUTE...", or "there's no logic behind their move here...". The point is even the characters are written to find the invasion of Naboo a very odd development.

And oh yeah, a ground invasion is an escalation of force to get things going with the hopes of achieving the objective sooner. This is like saying "why did the US send ground troops into Kuwait, if they could just keep bombing Saddam?"
No it's not. Saddam already invaded Kuwait, and the US sent in troops to expel the Iraqis. But of course, we know the details involved in that situation, but we don't know much of the details involved in the Naboo situation. Again, from the audience's perspective, all that happens is the Jedi arrive, the TF flips out, and then Palpatine tells them to kill the Jedi and invade Naboo - with no explanation provided.

Again, what was the original plan? 1) Blockade Naboo. 2) If Senate doesn't respond in X days/months, invade Naboo? 3) Get Queen to sign treaty. 4) Senate lowers taxes?

What if the Queen just signed the treaty? How would that get Palpatine elected? Mike Wong has some interesting ideas about the original plan being to kill the Queen. You have interesting ideas about Palpatine using the opportunity to look like a hero in the Senate. Who's right? Who knows...the movie never says.

That's really the only important point here, and you're doing everything possible in your power to avoid or gloss over that central point.
LOL, you're one to talk about "straightforward reading" while you flatly deny everything else that is clearly presented to you in the movie. I said it before, the amount of effort needed to extrapolate one meaningless line from Qui-Gon (again, while he's denying things that are completely true) is way more than is needed to take the rest of the movie at face value. You're not even trying to discuss things honestly. You embarass yourself the more you drag things out.
You're an idiot. Extrapolate implies analyzing or interpreting: I'm doing no such thing. I'm simply READING Qui-Gon's line in a straightforward manner. You're the moron who thinks that "there is no logic in the Federation's move here" means something deeper than just that.
Haha, I love how you just try to dismiss everything in my rebuttal as "speculation" when your'e basically too lazy to actually refute the thing.
There's NOTHING to refute. The "meat" of your rebuttal is literally just your own speculation. Over and over again, RLM points out something which isn't explained in the film, and you respond by SPECULATING about a possible explanation. The funny thing is, you're so hopelessly clueless, you actually think that refutes the point. You're like one of those hopeless Biblical apologists who, when confronted with an apparent error or contradiction in their Holy texts, will just make shit up to try and explain it away, all the while smugly expecting you to just ACCEPT their made up speculation as a valid refutation.

Anyway, in the case of TPM, it's the writer's responsibility to generate interest in the plot and characters: a viewer shouldn't need to speculate about critical plot elements.
Hmm... your-swagger-to content ratio is getting a bit heavy on the swagger side. It's understandble, because that's what generally happens when someone starts losing confidence in their actual arguments. I predict your next response will include 30% more swagger, and also mindless repetition about how "nothing needs to be expained", or possibly some mumbling about how someone mentioned "hunting wildlife" like 20 pages ago.

Anyway, I need to get back to worshipping my nerd idol, Red Letter Media. God, RLM is so fucking awesome. I'm getting hard just thinking about Mr. Plinkett's sexy, raspy voice. Well, I'm off to go whack off to more RLM videos. Bye!
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

APD1026 wrote:
Jim Raynor wrote:
The worst denunciation of Stoklasa's work didn't even come from me, but from his own fanboys. I found it hilarious when almost all of them (guys who had signed up on this board specifically to defend him) eventually fell back to calling his review nothing but stupid comedy. Because calling something stupid somehow protects it from criticisms of stupidity...
This is interesting to me. I have watched all of RLM's reviews of both Star Trek and Star Wars. I have also read Mr. Raynor's 108-page condemnation of RLM's Phantom Menace review. I would like to join this discussion, but let me preface my post by saying a few things:

1. Yes, I signed up for this board because I am interested in this ongoing conflict. As someone who disliked the prequel trilogy not only from the very beginning (when Episode 1 was first released I was 9), but continues to dislike it presently, as an adult, I was very interested to see people defending it so vehemently.
Raynor can speak for himself, but my "vehemence" is aimed at the lies, trolling and stupidity of Heathcliff's groupies. People don't like a movie, fine. If they claim that their dislike for a film means that the movie is a failure, or that the person making it is incompetent (or just a bad person), then they're in the realm of making factual claims and when someone does that, their claims deserve scrutiny. If they keep making the same bullshit claims, or ones that are unbelievably stupid (like the one about TPM being a box office failure because it's only the 20th highest-grossing film ever made) then the one making the claim deserves scorn and ridicule for being an asshole.

People do fight over all of these things when it comes to war in real life. I take issue, though, with the specific example of the American Revolution. As Channel72 states, the biggest issue was the lack of representation in the British Parliament that drove the Americans over the edge. Of course, legislation such as the Quartering Acts (which required American colonists to quarter British soldiers if told to do so), the Navigation Acts (which, among other things, stated that American vessels on the high seas could be taken over by the British if they chose to do so), and the Declaratory Act (which stated that England could make whatever laws for the colonies that they wanted, no matter what) also contributed to the hatred towards the crown which spurred the American Revolution. These laws had nothing to do with taxes, but were just as important to the cause. This, of course, is also without mentioning important historical events such as the Boston Massacre, in which 3 colonists (Samuel Gray, James Caldwell, and Crispus Attucks) were killed instantly by British soldiers and two more died as a result of injuries sustained during the shootings.

Basically, the idea that American Revolution is a worthy comparison to the Naboo situation suggests a very miniscule understanding of either United States history, The Phantom Menace itself, or both. Again, it must be stressed that the colonists had zero meaningful representation in the British Parliament in the years leading up to the Revolution, whereas both the Trade Federation and the people of Naboo are seemingly equal in their representation in the Senate. If anything, the implied influence the Trade Fed has over the Senate perhaps places them in a considerably more powerful position than the Naboo.
All this might be relevant, except that Raynor didn't claim the Federation's attack on Naboo was just like the American Revolution. He used the Revolution as a real-life example of people fighting wars because of taxes. The fact that there were other issues in play in 1775 doesn't nullify this point since taxes weren't the only reason for the attack on Naboo either. The desire for Palpatine to foment chaos and play the victim is the main reason for the attack, even though Gunray doesn't know it.

This point is confusing to me mainly because the film never states what side of the tax dispute the Naboo are on. In fact, pointing to Mr. Raynor's criticism of RLM, the taxes themselves are nothing more than a MacGuffin, an object that exists solely to drive the plot but in reality has no actual effect on the plot itself. The taxes are the reason for the story to begin, to use another dramatic term they are what is known as the "inciting incident." In any case, the Trade Fed is blockading Naboo because they expect to see the trade laws revised in their favor using Sidious's influence in the Senate. At least, that is a logical conclusion necessitated by the fact that the film never tells us why the Trade Fed is following Sidious's orders.
This is true, but only if you're severely retarded. Those who aren't can easily deduce from what's shown in the movies that:

a) like real-life businesses, the TF opposes taxes on trade

b) the TF, like many businessmen in real life, will do illogical, stupid or utterly insane things to avoid paying taxes and/or to punish those who displease them by supporting the taxes

c) a common theme in myths, fairy tales and religion is someone being gullible and greedy and making a deal with evil supernatural forces (who promise all kinds of outlandish things as long as the supplicant does as his master tells him), and becoming the slaves of those powers

What does a non-retard gather from what's shown in the movies? That the Federation joined forces with the Sith out of foolish greed and ended up being just another of Sidious' disposable flunkies.
In any case, I feel both Raynor and his adversary (I believe it is Channel72 here, but the quote does not say) are both wrong in this situation, Raynor for trying to say that the Naboo are on the opposite side of the trade argument, and Channel72 for saying that it is impossible to explain how the blockade of Naboo will result in favorable tax laws. While this explanation is never explicitly stated, when one considers it, it seems to make a good deal of sense. After all, Sidious says he can "make the blockade legal" in the Senate; how hard would it be to think the Trade Fed assumes he can get taxes lowered as well?
It doesn't really matter if Naboo was in fact supporting the tax on trade routes. Going by just the movie, it's possible that they supported the TF all along and Gunray blockaded Naboo anyway just to be a dick to his own side to make others fear him (the same reason Massala betrayed his friend Judah in Ben-Hur). The point is that the TF lashed out at a small, weak planet because they agreed to a pact with a monster and he demanded it.

Before I attempt to discuss the idea of blockades versus ground wars, I want to say that since we are working under the assumption that Sidious ordered the ground war as the next step of the plan, should he not have forseen the possible involvement of the Gungans in a war on the planet's surface?
This is the same guy who underestimated the Ewoks 32 years later.

Finally, lifting the blockade as a result of the ground war beginning is not exactly that much of a boon financially, considering how little effort the blockade seemed to require on the part of the Trade Fed.
If you can land troops and occupy the ports, you don't need a blockade -just enough spacecraft to maintain the garrison. I'd imagine it's much cheaper to occupy a weak and mostly defenseless planet than to maintain all those gargantuan cargo ships surrounding the planet.

Furthermore, on the subject of the Naboo people's resistance, using a historical example might be appropriate, seeing as how historical comparisons have been attempted in this discussion already. Once more preceding the Revolutionary War in America, in the wake of such events as the Boston Massacre, Great Britain closed the ports of Boston. The city was almost entirely cut off from the outside world, and the people within became restless. While one might argue that the Naboo did not possess very advanced military technology (being a peaceful people), they did possess a capacity for a sophisticated elective monarchy complete with regional governors and term limits on the monarch themselves. My point being that the Naboo seem to be pretty advanced and intelligent. Battledroids, on the other hand, have never exhibited what I would call intelligence; they basically follow whatever orders are given to them by the droid control ship. The people could have organized resistance groups (such as the Sons of Liberty, again from the American Revolution) and fought against the droid army using subterfuge, sabotage, and spying. Hell, even the Boston Tea Party managed to get a message across, and that was a couple of colonists dressed as Native Americans taking on the biggest power on the face of the Earth. What I'm saying is that there are a potential host of other problems that arise when the battle is taken to the planet's surface. At least from space if anyone tried to attack the blockade they would get gunned down immediately (theoretically, and also assuming the ship wasn't carrying the main characters of a space opera onboard, of course :wink: ).
Panaka said that Naboo guards and others had formed resistance movements.
Ok so moving on to the concept of blockade vs. ground war. While true that we can not defend the statement that a blockade is less expensive than a ground war in the context of Star Wars, turning once more to history may shed light on the matter (again, just going on precedent here). Look at the events leading up to World War II. The League of Nations (precursor to the United Nations) continually attempted to appease Adolf Hitler's various demands, with weak leadership in France and Great Britain, as well as the USA's refusal to join, allowing it to continue. The war did not start officially until Germany invaded Poland, a country who was forced to fight tanks with cavalry (literally), on September 1st, 1939. Of course, the turning point in the war came when Hitler spread his forces too thin by invading the Soviet Union, coupled with the USA's entry into the war. The invasion of a weak and ill-equipped nation only served to inspire other to take up the cause in their defense! Open defiance against a bully nation picking on the weak was also exhibited before the American Revolution, when events such as the Boston Massacre caused the rest of the colonies to call the First Continental Congress in 1774 (minus Georgia, who did not attend).

Anyway, it seems that ground wars can get pretty costly, especially when other nations get involed. Don't forget, the American Revolution would not have been possible if the French hadn't gotten involved once the actual ground war started by sending troops and military advisors who had experience fighting the British; after all, the British/French rivalry was the longest-running feud in European history at that point.
Why not give us an equally irrelevant treatise on the St Bartholemew's Day Massacre while you're at it? :wanker:

To digress from Star Wars itself and talk about RLM, I take issue with people reading too much into the reviews, which seems to be going on in both camps here. Mr. Stoklasa, of RLM, has not made a secret about his dislike of the prequels, that much is true for sure. One thing that people must remember is that the reviews of the prequels, as well the "Mr. Plinkett" character itself, are parodies of stereotypical fanboy arguments. Hyperbole, even gross hyperbole (such as saying something occurs 45 minutes long, when it is actually 12 minutes, eh Mr. Raynor?) is just one characteristic of parody. By hyperbole, I am of course talking about the way Mr. Plinkett gets the timings wrong, the way he describes the Original Trilogy with such rose-tinted glasses, and the way he blasts George Lucas (in a manner similar to people who claim the director "raped their childhood"). Plinkett's laughably boisterous reactions to the prequels are clearly mimicking incensed Star Wars fans everywhere who were offended by them.
Bullshit. Heathcliff himself said the "humor" was meant to advance his claim that Lucas is an incompetent filmmaker and that the prequels were failures.

Ok first of all, in a place where people are trying to have a reasoned debate there is no room for name-calling on either side. Both sides of this issue have used terms such as "stupid," "illiterate Fuck" and "complete idiot." Come on people, be better than that.
So that's my first post, I only ask that if you plan on replying please refrain from name-calling and other juvenile tactics, as I have tried to do myself.
Ah go fuck yourself.
APD1026
Redshirt

Post by APD1026 »

Elfdart wrote: Raynor can speak for himself, but my "vehemence" is aimed at the lies, trolling and stupidity of Heathcliff's groupies. People don't like a movie, fine. If they claim that their dislike for a film means that the movie is a failure, or that the person making it is incompetent (or just a bad person), then they're in the realm of making factual claims and when someone does that, their claims deserve scrutiny. If they keep making the same bullshit claims, or ones that are unbelievably stupid (like the one about TPM being a box office failure because it's only the 20th highest-grossing film ever made) then the one making the claim deserves scorn and ridicule for being an asshole.
I definitely agree, making factual claims means one must be willing to back themselves up. Personally? I didn't like the prequels, but hey that's just me. I'm not going to lie and say I didn't pay to see all three of them, but I didn't enjoy them when I did see them. I personally don't tend to judge a film's merits based on box office success, however. To quote, I believe, Alexander Hamilton, "The masses are asses."

For example, we elected George W. Bush once, technically twice, didn't we?
Elfdart wrote:

All this might be relevant, except that Raynor didn't claim the Federation's attack on Naboo was just like the American Revolution. He used the Revolution as a real-life example of people fighting wars because of taxes. The fact that there were other issues in play in 1775 doesn't nullify this point since taxes weren't the only reason for the attack on Naboo either. The desire for Palpatine to foment chaos and play the victim is the main reason for the attack, even though Gunray doesn't know it.
I included my quote in its entirety so you can see that I was arguing for the idea that there were other factors at play besides for taxes in the Naboo situation. The original point being made was that the American Revolution was only about taxes, and I was refuting that. Yes, taxes were one of the many reasons for the war, but it was not THE reason for the war. If you had included Mr. Raynor's previous quote, you would have seen that he said as much himself. Observe:

11/23/2011 @ 9:57am
Jim Raynor wrote: Stop playing dum. All the details don't have to line up exactly for a comparison to be made. Fact is, in actual history, people have been willing to fight long wars and die over things like taxes, or simple economic gain.
Elfdart wrote:
This is true, but only if you're severely retarded. Those who aren't can easily deduce from what's shown in the movies that:

b) the TF, like many businessmen in real life, will do illogical, stupid or utterly insane things to avoid paying taxes and/or to punish those who displease them by supporting the taxes

c) a common theme in myths, fairy tales and religion is someone being gullible and greedy and making a deal with evil supernatural forces (who promise all kinds of outlandish things as long as the supplicant does as his master tells him), and becoming the slaves of those powers

What does a non-retard gather from what's shown in the movies? That the Federation joined forces with the Sith out of foolish greed and ended up being just another of Sidious' disposable flunkies.
Which is what I argued, of course. I was saying that they joined Sidious because I'm assuming that he promised them he would help with the trade laws in the Senate. Again, the films never tell us why they are working for him, I am just assuming that in this prototypical "Deal with the Devil," the Trade Fed were promised a revision of the tax laws in their favor for helping the Sith Lord.

How about this? For all we know Palpatine is the one who pushed the ludicrous tax laws through the Senate, because he knew it would incense the weak-minded Trade Fed leaders and inspire them to accept his deal. Seems plausible, right? Again, we don't know where those unfavorable tax laws came from, just like we don't know what the Trade Fed was promised in return for their cooperation. We can speculate, though, which is what I'm doing.
Elfdart wrote:
It doesn't really matter if Naboo was in fact supporting the tax on trade routes. Going by just the movie, it's possible that they supported the TF all along and Gunray blockaded Naboo anyway just to be a dick to his own side to make others fear him (the same reason Massala betrayed his friend Judah in Ben-Hur). The point is that the TF lashed out at a small, weak planet because they agreed to a pact with a monster and he demanded it.
I was just addressing Mr. Raynor's point, I saw an inconsistency and I pointed it out. Going by just the movie, we do not know which side of the dispute the Naboo were on. This is, of course, what I said at the beginning of the last section of my post you quoted. You never addressed my point about Sidious possibly promising he'd get the taxes lowered. I assume you thought it was a good one then?

By the way, in one of my other paragraphs in the same post I mentioned the bullying aspect of the strong Trade Fed taking advantage of the weak Naboo in this situation. I suppose you must have missed it? No that can't be right, because you quoted it a little further down here...
Elfdart wrote:
Before I attempt to discuss the idea of blockades versus ground wars, I want to say that since we are working under the assumption that Sidious ordered the ground war as the next step of the plan, should he not have forseen the possible involvement of the Gungans in a war on the planet's surface?
Hey, fair point, totally forgot about that. That's actually a pretty great link to the OT right there, something I completely missed.
Elfdart wrote:
Finally, lifting the blockade as a result of the ground war beginning is not exactly that much of a boon financially, considering how little effort the blockade seemed to require on the part of the Trade Fed.
If you can land troops and occupy the ports, you don't need a blockade -just enough spacecraft to maintain the garrison. I'd imagine it's much cheaper to occupy a weak and mostly defenseless planet than to maintain all those gargantuan cargo ships surrounding the planet.
To me, it really depends. What I mean is we don't know about the costs of any of these actions, financially speaking, in the Star Wars universe. After all, it is just a bunch of droids, they don't need food like living beings do and I won't pretend to know how they're powered. To me, though, it just seemed like a waste of time to send the leader of the Trade Fed to the ground when he could have remained safe in the ship. I just disagree with the whole invasion plan in general. I know it was to get the treaty signed, but I just think it would have been easier to just keep the blockade up, personally.

On the other hand, if it was really too costly to keep the ships in orbit, then invasion would have been the better plan, I can agree on that point.
Elfdart wrote:
Panaka said that Naboo guards and others had formed resistance movements.
Well then my point was accurate, right? I think it would have been cool to see some of that. One of the main problems we the audience has at sympathizing with the people of Naboo is that we never see them. Any of them. The only citizens of Naboo we see in the film are those aboard the queen, the governor and advisors or whatever, the handmaidens, the pilots, and technically the Gungans if you mean the whole planet and not just the city. Where are the commoners in the streets? Where are the resistance fighters? That would have been so awesome to see, common people standing up to the droids and trying to take back their homes. THAT would have made for a great story, don't you think? Instead we are just told about suffering and forced to accept that it is, indeed, happening. We are told in one scene that the people have formed resistance movements, but we never see them in action. We are told so many things, but actions speak louder than words. Just look at what Pixar did with the first half hour or so of WALL-E; such incredible storytelling, all done without the utterance of a single line of dialogue. Sometimes we want to see things, not just hear about them. Would the assault on the Death Star have been nearly as poignant if we didn't see Luke nail that shot into the exhaust port firsthand? What if we had been in the command room with Leia when that happened, and we just heard it had happened from one of the people watching a monitor?

This is the difference between meaningful and pointless action sequences. I want to see the resistance, I want to see some real drama and struggle. When the people realize that nobody is coming to help them, I want to see the moment when someone decides to step up and fight back. I just personally think that would have been cool.
Elfdart wrote:

Why not give us an equally irrelevant treatise on the St Bartholemew's Day Massacre while you're at it? :wanker:
Well, I thought it was relevant since real-world history had been brought up once before by other people on the forum. I was just trying to put forth some evidence to support my claims about a blockade possibly being less costly than a ground war. Again, we don't know what kind of costs we are talking about in the Star Wars universe, but if it happens to function anything like in the real world, I figured some real examples would be appropriate. Forgive me for trying to use some evidence, rather than to just make claims based on nothing.

I suppose I should have added to my original post that I felt it odd that no other nations were doing anything useful to help Naboo. The people of the Star Wars universe must not have much sympathy for the suffering of other because they are stuck "endlessly debating" rather than helping out the defenseless Naboo. I feel like I just want to believe that in real life people would want to help a nation in such a predicament, like the rest of Europe did in World War II by declaring war after the invasion of Poland.
Elfdart wrote:
Bullshit. Heathcliff himself said the "humor" was meant to advance his claim that Lucas is an incompetent filmmaker and that the prequels were failures.
Well, all I can say is that I don't see it that way. Then again, I'm not one of the people that will sit and talk about how perfect and correct those reviews are. I took those reviews as entertainment, but I form my own opinions, as all people should.

By the way, did you see the interview RLM did with the director of The People Versus George Lucas? In it, the director of the film says that Lucas has personally acknowledged his limitations as director, and even mentions that Lucas attempted to contact other directors to work with him on the prequels, but nobody wanted to do it, so he was forced to go it alone. Again, I would never say that the guy who created Star Wars has zero talent and creative vision, but at the same time I have to say that he has made a lot of questionable choices regarding Star Wars over the years, especially with the constant re-releases with all the pointless changes. This is why Lucas frustrates me sometime; I want to acknowledge his legacy and lasting impact on the art form of film for the rest of history, but at the same time I must also acknowledge his continuing attempts to sabotage something he should be guarding with his very life.
Elfdart wrote:
Ah go fuck yourself.
[/quote]

Guess I should have read the rules first? Thank you? In any case, despite what the rules say, insulting someone doesn't mean you have a better argument.

Moving on, I also wanted to address some of what Channel72 said in his last post.
Jim Raynor wrote:
Channel72 wrote:You can't even explain how invading and occupying Naboo would result in lower taxes without blurting out speculation after speculation. I guess it was supposed to be: 1) blockade Naboo, 2) invade Naboo, 3) make Padme sign treaty legalizing invasion, 4) [insert Jim Raynor fan-fiction "analysis"] 5) Senate lowers taxes.
Channel72 wrote:
I already highlighted the type of bullshit speculation you spout out. And once again you're begging the question by conflating the blockade (which we all agree IS explained) with the invasion (which we DON'T agree is explained.)
While the movie definitely does not explain the invasion, is it not illogical to assume that it was either part of Palpatine's plans all along, or that he just decided to make them do it because the involvement of the Jedi necessitated swifter action? But then again, it seems like they were already taking steps to prepare the invasion when the Jedi boarded the ship, so I guess it's a tough call.
Jim Raynor wrote:
Channel72 wrote: This coming from someone who literally just wrote over 100 pages of pure speculation to explain the plot to TPM. I never claimed the ground invasion was too expensive or hard for them to reasonably make. I said that, obviously, a ground invasion is a lot more expensive than a blockade. Do you really need me to defend that statement?
Channel72 wrote: No idiot, I'm not arguing the invasion was necessarily unreasonable. I'm arguing that the script never provides a solid reason for the invasion, beyond Palpatine told them to do it. We don't have a clear idea of what's in it for them. Since an invasion is more work than a blockade, and since it's the primary conflict in the movie, it would be nice to have a clear explanation.
I definitely agree here. I'm not saying the film has to blatantly spit out every single detail, but one thing about effective villains is that they have motivations that are either clear from the beginning or become clear over time. Unfortunately for this film, the villain (Palpatine) does not really reveal his true motives until the second or even third movie, unless you count it as early as the end of this film when he becomes Chancellor I guess. The thing is, we who have seen the OT know Palpatine's motives, but I feel that sometimes part of the point of criticism is to take on the perspective of someone who has never seen the film in question. How would someone watching Star Wars for the first time know that Palpatine is really the evil Emperor?

And I can't really say that we were intended all along to know Sidious was Palpatine, because he is always hidden behind his hood. Again, put yourself in the position of someone who has never seen the OT.

Personally, I never subscribed to the theory of these movies being aimed solely at children (Star Wars was originally released in 1977, after all). As such, the only way someone could possibly say that the PT was only for kids, in my opinion, is if they also acknowledged that Lucas made these movies to sell toys and make money, with no other motive. Otherwise, these films were for the people who grew up watching the OT too, right?

Kids watching Episode One as their first experience with the franchise had no clue who Palpatine would go on to be, also. In the end, it is definitely logical to assume that, as I said in my last post, Palpatine promised the Trade Fed that he would help revise or rescind the trade laws in dispute if they went along with his plan, but we don't know for sure.

Channel72 wrote:

No it's not. Saddam already invaded Kuwait, and the US sent in troops to expel the Iraqis. But of course, we know the details involved in that situation, but we don't know much of the details involved in the Naboo situation. Again, from the audience's perspective, all that happens is the Jedi arrive, the TF flips out, and then Palpatine tells them to kill the Jedi and invade Naboo - with no explanation provided.

Again, what was the original plan? 1) Blockade Naboo. 2) If Senate doesn't respond in X days/months, invade Naboo? 3) Get Queen to sign treaty. 4) Senate lowers taxes?

What if the Queen just signed the treaty? How would that get Palpatine elected? Mike Wong has some interesting ideas about the original plan being to kill the Queen. You have interesting ideas about Palpatine using the opportunity to look like a hero in the Senate. Who's right? Who knows...the movie never says.

That's really the only important point here, and you're doing everything possible in your power to avoid or gloss over that central point.
One thing first before I comment: this definitely reminds me of the South Park episode where the Underpants Gnomes outline their plan of "Step One: Collect Underpants, Step Two: ?, Step Three: Profit." Haha, classic.

Anyway, I definitely think it was all a ploy to make Palpatine look like a great guy where Valorum was failing. The fact that Palpatine is from Naboo, of course, is the reason why this works so well, as it is his own home planet that is being victimized. They elect him to replace Valorum, no doubt, because of the strong will and determination he showed in the face of his home planet's greatest crisis. Palpatine is the quintessential politician in these movies, a slimy and manipulative bastard who will do anything to get what he wants. I definitely think that his character was handled pretty well in the prequels, at least until Episode Three when he almost turned into a cartoon villain. The buildup to that conclusion was pretty decent, though.
Channel72 wrote: Anyway, in the case of TPM, it's the writer's responsibility to generate interest in the plot and characters: a viewer shouldn't need to speculate about critical plot elements.
While I tend to agree with this, some degree of ambiguity is always welcome. At the same time, the integrity of the narrative shouldn't be compromised in favor of clouding the main issues. While it is definitely reasonable to assume many things about the reason for the invasion (such as that it was part of Palpatine's original plan and that the Trade Fed was expecting to be rewarded with lower taxes), the audience really shouldn't have to make that leap, which involves considering not only the Trade Fed's motivations but also Palpatine's, while taking into account one offhand remark that Palpatine will "make the blockade legal," a remark which I might add is never addressed again to my best recollection. That one remark does signal to me that the Trade Fed is aware, at least to a degree, of some of Palpatine's influence over the Senate.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

I don't understand why anyone still insists that the Trade Federation opposed the taxes. For fuck's sake, the only one who actually said anything about them was Palpatine when he very publicly decried the taxation as the start of a tragic sequence of events.

It makes about as much sense as a Democrat using negative language to describe healthcare reform. It's just stupid.
APD1026
Redshirt

Post by APD1026 »

Galvatron wrote:I don't understand why anyone still insists that the Trade Federation opposed the taxes. For fuck's sake, the only one who actually said anything about them was Palpatine when he very publicly decried the taxation as the start of a tragic sequence of events.
I don't know, I guess I just always took it for granted that the Trade Fed was opposed to the taxes because of what the opening crawl says: "The taxation of trade routes to outlying star systems is in dispute. Hoping to resolve the matter with a blockade of deadly battleships, the greedy Trade Federation has stopped all shipping to the small planet of Naboo."

As you point out though, it could conceivably be interpreted as the Trade Fed is greedy because the new taxes FAVOR them, and they are blockading Naboo because Naboo is opposed to them, or just because they feel like it. I never thought of it that way, good point.

This kind of just goes back to the script not making much clear in the way of motivation. In the end though, I suppose it doesn't matter how the Trade Fed felt about the taxes, because they are just there to start the story off. It's interesting to debate the subject though.
APD1026
Redshirt

Post by APD1026 »

Destructionator XIII wrote: I now think it's actually better supported by the script than the traditional interpretation, but it isn't very clear either way.
Well done sir, I can definitely buy that. I guess one of the accidental benefits of having such a vague script is that it gives the fans a chance to discuss things like this, and come up with different interpretations.
emersonlakeandbalmer
Padawan Learner

Elfdart wrote:If they keep making the same bullshit claims, or ones that are unbelievably stupid (like the one about TPM being a box office failure because it's only the 20th highest-grossing film ever made) then the one making the claim deserves scorn and ridicule for being an asshole.
Never said it was a box office failure. Said it failed to make more than 19 other films. Which it did. Irrefutably so.

Speculation. Show in the movie how they oppose the taxes. You can't or once again you'll say it doesn't matter. But it still doesn't change the fact that you can't prove they oppose the taxes.
Yeah. I remember when Wesley Snipes blockaded Woody Harrelson's house to protest paying his taxes.
Usually you know the motivation of those gullible characters. Know what else is common in myths? A main character. Know what is common in adventure movies? The heroes journey. Know what TPM doesn't have? Either of those.
Us retards got that. Doesn't make it good storytelling. Makes it boring.
That made for some good writing as well. If you were writing for a marketing firm that wanted to sell a bunch of stuffed animals to children instead of making a plausible movie.
Who's heathcliff?
emersonlakeandbalmer
Padawan Learner

Jim Raynor wrote:LOL, I come back after the Thanksgiving holiday to see that this thread is STILL stuck in the same stupid circle, being stalled by the same stubborn trolls. I said a while ago that this thread had degenerated into a joke. It is now a parody of that joke. Channel72 continues to pretend he has a point...when his entire drawn-out post boils down to pure denial.
LOLZ-RLOMOSMLML! I love how you insist on telling us how much you don't care about this thread every time you post.
Please, I respond to this insipid thread twice a week (partially for a good laugh). I last posted on Thursday, four days ago, and forgot about this entire thread for the entire weekend.
I don't care for a formal debate in the "Colosseum," because I barely care about this thread as it is. It's pretty much a waste of time, and has gone nowhere in the last 20 pages.
I guess I'll check in on you guys in another few days? :lol:
Nice to see that the great debate of our times, "What were the exact details behind the taxes on trade that the Trade Federation didn't like" are still lively as ever!
Holy crap.. I left this thread several days ago pointing out how utterly obsessive and lame this whining about taxes is.
Get a grip and take a good look at yourselves. This thread is an embarassment to SW fandom.
embarrassment? This Thread? Not this video? We get it bro... honey raynor doesn't give a shit. Sounds like you might be addicted though. The lady doth protest too much and shit?
Jim Raynor wrote:
emersonlakeandbalmer wrote:Someone mentioned it once. You proceeded to bring it up about 800 times, really in almost every single post. Its pathetic really.
They mention each stupid thing once. I can see the same several people will forever be inventing more contrived reasons to be mad at this movie. I bring it up again and again, because people don't take them back.

What's really pathetic is someone saying something as astoundingly, jaw droppingly stupid as hunting wildlife as a means to nullify a blockade, then carrying on like a pseudointellectual who truly understands the craft of filmmaking.
Or a guy who underlines the word taxes and pretends that means something in context to who or what is taxed and then defends his position for 30 pages. He never brings any real evidence, but rather just speculation. Sometimes he claims it doesn't matter, but never once does he concede there is no evidence as to which side the parties sit on taxes. Too busy telling everyone how he doesn't even like this thread because its SOOOO beneath him.

So serious question. Do you have any background in film-making or writing? You seem like a math guy.
Jim Raynor
Sith Devotee

Post by Jim Raynor »

I honestly don't have the interest to increase my commitment to this thread, and go point-for-point on the nuances of the American Revolution. It's utterly irrelevant to the point that was made, and either way, what would that prove? Oh no, my analogy to the American Revolution doesn't quite line up with TPM, something I've said so myself before. And thank you very much, but I understand pretty well that there were other issues involved. "No taxation without representation" was practically a cliche in US history classrooms. Big deal. Then I can just point towards any other example of military aggression starting because of greed, or economic issues.
Panzersharkcat wrote:For fuck's sake, stop posting, Raynor. Let this thread die. Every time I see this thread rise to the top of Pure Star Wars, I want to throttle somebody.
Oh, don't get me wrong. I don't really care to see this go on any more either. I'm pretty much treating this thread as a joke now, because I know that certain people here are just boiling over in nerd rage.

Seriously guys, stop for a moment and take a good look at yourselves. This thread is now over two months old, and approaching the thirty page mark. That "twenty pages ago" jab that I kept using will soon be obsolete. :lol:

It took about two freaking months for one of you to finally admit that hey, maybe, just maybe a ground invasion that locks down a planet's population is an extension of the same plan that locked down the planet's population with a naval blockade. At which point you started cherry picking one meaningless line and claiming that a ground invasion was still too expensive to be logical just because.

Two long months, and I still see someone on the most recent pages going on about how the Trade Fed's communications jamming was soooo mysterious and unexplained. Despite the fact that the Trade Fed clearly did not want to face the legal consequences for invading, invaded because they thought they would have legal cover, and then saw their plan go awry because they failed to secure that legal cover. So the criminals didn't want to admit to something they couldn't get away with at the moment. OH MAN, SOMEONE PLEASE EXPLAIN THAT TO ME.

This is not film criticism. This is not normal behavior. This is you acting like a baby and saying what amounts to "nuh uh!" or "that's stoo-pid!" in response to everything.

And then their's my favorite weirdo Bakustra, taking little pot shots from the sidelines. That's when he's not pounding his chest and trying to impress me with nerd rage and over-the-top histrionics.
Bakustra wrote:That's a strawman of what he said, troll. Try again!
And how was that a strawman exactly? Explanation? Oh, sorry, I forgot you have nothing more to actually contribute to this embarassing thread.

And yes, this thread is an embarassment. We have a bunch of adult men playing dumb and turning in circles for two long months. It's lame. I'm ashamed to even be on the same forum as some of you guys. Your behavior makes Star Wars fans in general look like a bunch of obsessive, emotionally stunted babies (oh that's right, this is the same fandom that gave the world "raped my childhood"). Now I realize that some of are just trolling and dragging this out to save face, hoping to keep up the appearance that this is a real debate. Just stop already, for your sake.

Or carry on, and see how low you can go. :)

emersonlakeandbalmer
Padawan Learner

Jim Raynor wrote:I honestly don't have the interest to increase my commitment to this thread, and go point-for-point on the nuances of the American Revolution. It's utterly irrelevant to the point that was made, and either way, what would that prove? Oh no, my analogy to the American Revolution doesn't quite line up with TPM, something I've said so myself before. And thank you very much, but I understand pretty well that there were other issues involved. "No taxation without representation" was practically a cliche in US history classrooms. Big deal. Then I can just point towards any other example of military aggression starting because of greed, or economic issues.
Try using an analogy from another movie, so as to show us how TPM is not poorly written.
Oh, don't get me wrong. I don't really care to see this go on any more either. I'm pretty much treating this thread as a joke now, because I know that certain people here are just boiling over in nerd rage.
I seriously love that you keep pretending that you don't care and that you use the phrase "nerd rage". The man that was so upset by RLM he made 108 page document. I think you sum it up best in your next line:
Seriously guys, stop for a moment and take a good look at yourselves.
Indeed. Please take a long look at yourself Raynor.
It took about two freaking months for one of you to finally admit that hey, maybe, just maybe a ground invasion that locks down a planet's population is an extension of the same plan that locked down the planet's population with a naval blockade. At which point you started cherry picking one meaningless line and claiming that a ground invasion was still too expensive to be logical just because.
Again you lump everyone into the same arguments because you're too lazy to cite who said what. Are you still accusing everyone of supporting the wildlife line? I put it to you many times to concede that you can not definitively prove who the taxes benefit. Have you done so? No. Have you shown irrefutable evidence that the TF is being taxed? No. At best all you said is they don't matter, but that is not the same as admitting you don't know who supports or opposes them. Again your qoute is fitting: "Stop for a moment and take a good look at yourselves."
And yes, this thread is an embarassment. We have a bunch of adult men playing dumb and turning in circles for two long months. It's lame. I'm ashamed to even be on the same forum as some of you guys.Your behavior makes Star Wars fans in general look like a bunch of obsessive, emotionally stunted babies (oh that's right, this is the same fandom that gave the world "raped my childhood").
Umm... We're talking about Starwars right? What should starwars "fans" be like? Because you are welcome to leave at anytime. Start up a new society of super human starwars nerds. Ones that respect the law of lucas and understand that story structure isn't important.
Now I realize that some of are just trolling and dragging this out to save face, hoping to keep up the appearance that this is a real debate. Just stop already, for your sake.
You're talking about yourself again right?
Or carry on, and see how low you can go. :)
Can't really get much lower than you everytime you post. This one might win. Claiming to be the perfect example of a starwars fans. One that blindly supports shitty writing for nearly 30 pages now. Simply because you refuse to admit maybe, just maybe TPM isn't very good storytelling. Sure you may have enjoyed it, liked the flashing lights and sounds. But you're a scientist who deals only in facts. There's no way something you enjoy could be poorly written. there must be something wrong with all these other voices pointing out how the plot is forced, there's no main character and inconsistencies abound.

Maybe you should leave this forum. Maybe you've been on it too long using the suspension of disbelief method. Unable to look at a movie objectively. When you're not forcing continuity mistakes to fit together so you can argue about "which Jedi was the most powerful" you might finally be able to see a movie for what it is. A piece of art made by a person. Not a scifi history story. Your American Revolution analogy doesn't work because that actually happened and Starwars is fictional. Someone made it all up. They had to sit down and put words and scenes and characters together. And they did so in such a shitty way, many "fans" were disappointed.

So if you want to argue over how TPM is actually well written, have at it. We've been waiting for you to do so for 30 pages now. But if you want to nitpick and repeat the same arguments and demand everyone concede to points they never made please continue. I'll be here. Seeing how low you go. Based on the last thread. I know it can go so much lower.
G1d3on
Redshirt

Post by G1d3on »

emersonlakeandbalmer wrote: One that blindly supports shitty writing for nearly 30 pages now.
In his rebuttal, Raynor emphatically states that he regards TPM as one of the weakest of the Star Wars films and finds it "by no means perfect." This is antithetical to blind defense; he seems willing to acknowledge its flaws to a greater extent than most people in this discussion are willing to acknowledge its strengths.