The Clone Wars Season 4.

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Re: The Clone Wars Season 4.

Post by Lord Revan »

Well I suppose it's "badass mando warrior" wank that Jango and by extension Boba Fett have gotten recently, where they're (near-)demigods of badass who club jedi to death with their huge mando dicks without even without breaking a sweat.

It's one of the reason I like Cad Bane more and also why I like the KOTOR (and probably TOR) Mandos better, they're clearly talented and deadly with a reputation to match but in the end you can see that it's those talents that gave them the victory not some overwanked cultural backround, granted I've not seen much of CW season 4 due to the time it airs here (if it has aired at all).

basically much of the recent mando lore reads as if their reputation was 100% accurate, while the KOTOR(and SWTOR) still have the same reputations it's clear most of it is just hot air or exaggerations by the mandos themselves or a scared survivior who obviously you exaggerate the threat of the enemy to make himself look better.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Lord Revan wrote:Well I suppose it's "badass mando warrior" wank that Jango and by extension Boba Fett have gotten recently, where they're (near-)demigods of badass who club jedi to death with their huge mando dicks without even without breaking a sweat.

It's one of the reason I like Cad Bane more and also why I like the KOTOR (and probably TOR) Mandos better, they're clearly talented and deadly with a reputation to match but in the end you can see that it's those talents that gave them the victory not some overwanked cultural backround, granted I've not seen much of CW season 4 due to the time it airs here (if it has aired at all).

basically much of the recent mando lore reads as if their reputation was 100% accurate, while the KOTOR(and SWTOR) still have the same reputations it's clear most of it is just hot air or exaggerations by the mandos themselves or a scared survivior who obviously you exaggerate the threat of the enemy to make himself look better.
TCW has more or less followed that path. What with Asohka decapitating four Mandos in a single swing and all.

Guess that magical Mando beskar armor wasn't quite up to snuff huh guys? :D

Also the Mandos in their recent outing were complete and utter dicks. Not the "OMG supah honorable" of Traviss.

Granted they're Death Watch and bad guys and all, but they're the only ones embracing the armor. The rest of the Mandos? Armorless peaceniks. :mrgreen:

EDIT: Also Manadalore is fairly well off and cosmopolitan. Not all rustic simple life. Essentially, the show has a complete 180 from the Mando'a of Traviss' Republic Commando 'vision' of the Mandalorians.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

well best way to fit traviss' vision with the other depictions of mandos is that it's sort of an idelizied picture coming from what Jango Fett (who was from farming backround) told the clones and Boba about what an Mandalorian was suppose to be and was never meant to be taken as 100% accurate.
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Lord Revan wrote:well best way to fit traviss' vision with the other depictions of mandos is that it's sort of an idelizied picture coming from what Jango Fett (who was from farming backround) told the clones and Boba about what an Mandalorian was suppose to be and was never meant to be taken as 100% accurate.
Except she actually had scenes on Mandalore depiciting all of the above. So...that doesn't work so well.

Which is not a bad thing it all got tossed out. At least not to me and a fairly good number of people on this board. :D
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Darksider
Sith Acolyte

Post by Darksider »

Yeah. Weather or not you like TCW's portrayal of the Mandos depends on how much you like Traviss' crap. I don't, so I like them in the series, but I've seen Traviss' fans (yes, she does still have them) bitching about it relentlessly on other boards like TF.net
And this is why you don't watch anything produced by Ronald D. Moore after he had his brain surgically removed and replaced with a bag of elephant semen.-Gramzamber, on why Caprica sucks
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

RogueIce wrote:
Lord Revan wrote:well best way to fit traviss' vision with the other depictions of mandos is that it's sort of an idelizied picture coming from what Jango Fett (who was from farming backround) told the clones and Boba about what an Mandalorian was suppose to be and was never meant to be taken as 100% accurate.
Except she actually had scenes on Mandalore depiciting all of the above. So...that doesn't work so well.

Which is not a bad thing it all got tossed out. At least not to me and a fairly good number of people on this board. :D
well it depends how you take the books themselves (especially now that we do have higher canon to counterdict them), if you take them as in-universe holonovels that some naive author made, taking all the macho BS the clonetroopers and/or other mandos told said author then it works as the events depicted are still real but the details are exaggerated or changed.
Darksider wrote:Yeah. Weather or not you like TCW's portrayal of the Mandos depends on how much you like Traviss' crap. I don't, so I like them in the series, but I've seen Traviss' fans (yes, she does still have them) bitching about it relentlessly on other boards like TF.net
personally I like it, it gives the mandos way more depth then Miss Traviss and her madowank could ever give us.
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

RogueIce wrote: Granted they're Death Watch and bad guys and all, but they're the only ones embracing the armor. The rest of the Mandos? Armorless peaceniks. :mrgreen:
The Duchess' guards have armour of a different type, don't they?

And they're pacifists in that they don't engage in war, they're actually quite badass as I recall. I seem to recall a loyalist Mando actually deflecting blaster bolts from an electrostaff thing last season, suggesting that at least some might be force users.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

NecronLord wrote:The Duchess' guards have armour of a different type, don't they?
IIRC the mondo "royal" guard seem to wear that was similar to the shocktrooper armor but more elaborate and less practical, with cops wear essentially the shocktrooper armor sans or with a different (I can't remember) helm
Raesene
Jedi Master

Post by Raesene »

Nice ending to the bounty hunter fourparter. I didn't foresee what it really was about.

"In view of the circumstances, Britannia waives the rules."

"All you have to do is to look at Northern Ireland, [...] to see how seriously the religious folks take "thou shall not kill. The more devout they are, the more they see murder as being negotiable." George Carlin

"We need to make gay people live in fear again! What ever happened to the traditional family values of persecution and lies?" - Darth Wong
"The closet got full and some homosexuals may have escaped onto the internet?"- Stormbringer

AndroAsc
Padawan Learner

Post by AndroAsc »

Good ending to the bounty hunter arc. It's interesting to see how Dooku managed to hold his own vs Anakin, considering how this episode should be chronologically close to ROTS, where he lost to Anakin. From Palps expression, I'm guessing he was trying to see if Anakin would best his disciple Dooku.
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Damn that was a good fucking episode. Best of the season so far IMO.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Darksider
Sith Acolyte

Post by Darksider »

Flagg wrote:Damn that was a good fucking episode. Best of the season so far IMO.
It seems like some of the best episodes this season have been focused primarily on the villains, with nary a good guy in sight.
And this is why you don't watch anything produced by Ronald D. Moore after he had his brain surgically removed and replaced with a bag of elephant semen.-Gramzamber, on why Caprica sucks
AndroAsc
Padawan Learner

Post by AndroAsc »

This week episode is UTTER BULLSHIT who the fuck wrote this shit?

Super black magic powers from the Dathomir witches? Raising an "undead" army? Almost killing DOOKU with their black magic voodoo doll fuck? Who is that mother fucking Talsind who can dematerialize like that? Is this Star Wars or Dungeons and Dragons?

I know from passing knowledge that the Dathomir witches were force adepts, but their abilities should be limited to nothing but simple force tricks. Showing this kind of uber magical power is (1) utterly bullshit and inconsistent with SW-verse, and (2) demonstrating that they are even more powerful than a Sith Lord?

Fucking writer for this episode should be fired! Almost threw up over this. Even Travis wankolorians were better.
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

AndroAsc wrote:This week episode is UTTER BULLSHIT who the fuck wrote this shit?

Super black magic powers from the Dathomir witches? Raising an "undead" army? Almost killing DOOKU with their black magic voodoo doll fuck? Who is that mother fucking Talsind who can dematerialize like that? Is this Star Wars or Dungeons and Dragons?

I know from passing knowledge that the Dathomir witches were force adepts, but their abilities should be limited to nothing but simple force tricks. Showing this kind of uber magical power is (1) utterly bullshit and inconsistent with SW-verse, and (2) demonstrating that they are even more powerful than a Sith Lord?

Fucking writer for this episode should be fired! Almost threw up over this. Even Travis wankolorians were better.
Really? This?

You're pissed about how wanked out the Nightsisters were when they got wiped out by Greivous and his droid forces? Get over it dude. The superpowers you have your undies in a bunch over could only stall the beating the Nightsisters were getting. If you're upset because the Nightsisters are being depicted differently than the did in horrible EU novels, well aside from the obvious issue with needing a life, do remember that Palpatine thought the Nightsisters powerful enough that he had Dathomir quarantined. Going so far IIRC as to give Warlord Zsinj his Super Star Destroyer because he maintained that quarantine and preventing their leaving the planet.

It was a fun episode, I love watching different groups of bad guys just shit and piss all over each other, although I am surprised that nobody here is criticizing the fact that Dooku didn't just have the entire planet glassed instead of a costly invasion.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Dooku probably wanted some of the Witch's knowledge, and didn't want to risk losing it with massive orbital bombardment.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Perhaps but that wasn't necessarily the point I was trying to make.

Although I don't see how is invasion would have procured anything useful unless the droids loot that fortress and find something of value. Dooku knew about the night sister voodoo enough to describe it to Grievous though, so the possibility exists he is familiar with night sister knowledge.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Connor MacLeod
Sith Apprentice

Post by Connor MacLeod »

And the plan for SW to become 40K continues. Next week: Jedi Chainswords!

Frankly I'm not surprised stuff like this happens: Force = magic and it is mostly a cartoon. I'm actually amazed some author hasn't injected more of this stuff inot the EU by now (although I vaguely recall some Jedi master chicke who could phase through walls or something.)
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Well I'd say they hit another one out of the park last night! Ventress the bounty hunter was pretty badass, gotta admit. Loved the crew led by Boba; some new faces and familiar ones. Didn't see Dengar coming but I was nicely surprised. Loved the ending: just when you think she's got a heart, Ventress shows she was just playing both sides. Excellently done, and I am absolutely looking foward to Darth Maul next week.

Srelex
Jedi Master

Post by Srelex »

Apparently Dengar was voiced by Simon Pegg. So that's another actor for both Trek and Wars.
"No, no, no, no! Light speed's too slow! Yes, we're gonna have to go right to... Ludicrous speed!"
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Wonder what Fett fanboys thought of their hero getting owned by Ventress like that?

Burak Gazan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Burak Gazan »

I dont know, but I know I thought it was hilarious :twisted:

Have to hand it to the writers, they really have turned Ventress into a far more complicated character than she was; well done.
"Of course, what would really happen is that in Game 7, with the Red Sox winning 20-0 in the 9th inning, with two outs and two strikes on the last Cubs batter, a previously unseen meteor would strike the earth, instantly and forever wiping out all life on the planet, and forever denying the Red Sox a World Series victory..."
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Connor MacLeod wrote:And the plan for SW to become 40K continues. Next week: Jedi Chainswords!

Frankly I'm not surprised stuff like this happens: Force = magic and it is mostly a cartoon. I'm actually amazed some author hasn't injected more of this stuff inot the EU by now (although I vaguely recall some Jedi master chicke who could phase through walls or something.)
it was the Dark Woman (can't remember her true name atm) and tbh unless the season 4 material is alot different from the season 3 stuff I'm watching atm from DVD the nightsisters capabilities don't seem that different from sith sorcery/alchemy.
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Darth Fanboy wrote:Wonder what Fett fanboys thought of their hero getting owned by Ventress like that?
I didn't mind it, he is after all still young and Ventress is an experienced Sith assassin. The fact he's able to command the at least situational loyalty of much older (and presumably more experienced) bounty hunters at all to be the group's leader speaks volumes about his capabilities.

But of course I'm more of an "old school" Fett fanboy rather than newer, ie: more like the Jeter Bounty Hunter Wars trilogy Fett than Traviss' Mando Leader Fett.

Granted this kinda trods roughshod over both versions, really, but I don't mind. I actually enjoy the way they've portrayed him so the fact it rewrites canon doesn't bother me. The BHW novels are still sitting on my bookshelf if I want cold, merciless, badass Boba Fett after all.

Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Poor excuse for a season finale. Especially after the stellar episodes that preceded it.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Burak Gazan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Burak Gazan »

Flagg wrote:Poor excuse for a season finale. Especially after the stellar episodes that preceded it.
Indeed, that was a bit of a let down. There were a couple good lines here and there, but compared to the lead-up to it, a pale shadow to those episodes. Ah well
"Of course, what would really happen is that in Game 7, with the Red Sox winning 20-0 in the 9th inning, with two outs and two strikes on the last Cubs batter, a previously unseen meteor would strike the earth, instantly and forever wiping out all life on the planet, and forever denying the Red Sox a World Series victory..."