Hypermatter-powered trollercoaster (DS calcs were way off)

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

StarSword
Jedi Knight

Re: Hypermatter-powered trollercoaster (DS calcs were way of

Post by StarSword »

Darth Tedious wrote:Ah, dammit!

So we're back to "they probably coasted on without end" (unless there's drag in hyperspace...).
I know you were being facetious, but actually, considering that in the shot of the Falcon flying through hyperspace in ANH, her sublight engines were still running, there might be drag in hyperspace.
Star Carrier by Ian Douglas: Analysis and Talkback

The Vortex Empire: I think the real question is obviously how a supervolcano eruption wiping out vast swathes of the country would affect the 2016 election.
Borgholio: The GOP would blame Obama and use the subsequent nuclear winter to debunk global warming.
Connor MacLeod
Sith Apprentice

Post by Connor MacLeod »

There's a passage in the EGW&T about objects in hyperspace being "vaporized" without some sort of protection, and an unshielded person in Han Solo at Star's End disintegrated once he left the boundary of the shield. Something similar happens in "Han solo's REvenge" when the ship was sabotaged whilst in the midst of a hyperspace transition.

And the "drag" bit exists too - it's the interaction of relaspace objects with objects in hyperspace (nebulae, dust, any sort of particles or particulate matter, hydrogen, etc.) that can actually slow a ship down. It's mentioned in the Lando Calrissian novels (which one I don't exactly remember, the first one I think.) I also believe the Swarm WAr novels had a case of the Falcon having some drag going through a dust cloud/nebula while in hyperspace.

(*mutters something about people checking sources rather than relying on wikis and other peoples work and walks off*)
Connor MacLeod
Sith Apprentice

Post by Connor MacLeod »

Oh and something that occurs to me based on the OP: if the planar ring is supposed to be some sort of magical hyperspace propogation effect, why isnt it FTL? We can see it, so it clearly isn't traveling at FTL speeds.
StarSword
Jedi Knight

Post by StarSword »

Connor MacLeod wrote:Oh and something that occurs to me based on the OP: if the planar ring is supposed to be some sort of magical hyperspace propogation effect, why isnt it FTL? We can see it, so it clearly isn't traveling at FTL speeds.
Nobody said you actually had to be going faster than light to travel through hyperspace. :lol:

Okay, that's an unnecessary stretch. How about this: Based on the passage in Death Star, the visible ring isn't actually the hyperspace propagation effect, just its echo in realspace. Nothing on our side of the light barrier can travel faster than light. Therefore, the visible ring doesn't travel faster than light.

I was looking through the Wookieepedia hyperspace article for shiggles and ran across another case-study for the results of a hyperspace collision. Wookieepedia cites the SW3 ICS for an accident during the Clone Wars, where the Republic Star Battlecruiser Quaestor ran into the planet Pammant. Quaestor was apparently lost with all hands, and the planet was "fractured to its core."

So hitting a comet (DFR) busts the ship, but hitting a planet blows out ship and planet.

The Vortex Empire: I think the real question is obviously how a supervolcano eruption wiping out vast swathes of the country would affect the 2016 election.
Borgholio: The GOP would blame Obama and use the subsequent nuclear winter to debunk global warming.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Fractured to the core AND massively irradiated. No idea what kind of radiation, but it was implied to be a serious "oh shit" kind.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
StarSword
Jedi Knight

Post by StarSword »

Eternal_Freedom wrote:Fractured to the core AND massively irradiated. No idea what kind of radiation, but it was implied to be a serious "oh shit" kind.
Not unprecedented. According to DFR, Honoghr suffered a similar catastrophe after a Rebel capital ship (Clone Wars-era or older by implication) crashed.

18-Till-I-Die
Emperor's Hand

Post by 18-Till-I-Die »

Eternal_Freedom wrote:Fractured to the core AND massively irradiated. No idea what kind of radiation, but it was implied to be a serious "oh shit" kind.
Lol, I'm kind of amused that they needed to add radiation for some reason.

Like, how much more "oh shit" do you need after the planet is damaged down to the core. At that point the impact crater could be giving off a field of energy that cures cancer and makes everyone have great sex and it'd still kill every living thing on the planet! :lol:

Talk about overkill.

On a more serious note, I'd imagine the radiation probably isn't that different from the kind you see "normally" (using the term loosely), and since I never heard anywhere of hypermatter engines generating radiation so what most likely happened was the nuclear stockpiles onboard the ship went up somehow, or were detonated on purpose for some reason, say if it was a kamikaze attack or something (I don't know, having never read the issue). And before anyone asks, yes, SW battleships carry nukes--the fighters canonically use atomic warheads in space combat, so logically there would be stockpiles of nuclear weapons onboard.
Kanye West Saves.