Yoda and Obi-Wan Splitting Up

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Havok
Miscreant

Re: Yoda and Obi-Wan Splitting Up

Post by Havok »

Uh... OK.
Apparently your idea of "real life" is a little different than mine, as mine doesn't involve people wandering the streets with cutlasses or foils LARPing getting in sword fights. :lol:
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

Havok wrote:Uh... OK.
Apparently your idea of "real life" is a little different than mine, as mine doesn't involve people wandering the streets with cutlasses or foils LARPing getting in sword fights. :lol:
:roll:
Rogue 9 wrote:Which is peripheral to the point; the current popularity or lack thereof of team martial arts has little to do with the fact that given the existence of a martial tradition that emphasizes combat in pairs (as the Jedi Order's does), that martial tradition would train people to fight effectively in pairs in a way that random people off the street could not.
Furthermore, you're a fucking retard. The ability to fight effectively in groups is portable across martial arts, because it has little to do with what strikes or weapons you use (barring guns) and everything to do with being aware of your partner(s) and acting to prevent the lone target from isolating any of the group, while the lone target should be aware of how to do exactly that. You could drill the same thing in any given striking martial art. (In a grappling martial art, of course, the lone combatant is fucked because when he grabs one guy the others beat the shit out of him.)

Also, not LARPing. I don't have hit points or lightning bolts. :P

Even more than that, what do Jedi, Sith, and lightsabers have to do with "real life?"
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

I was pointing out that numbers don't mean shit when facing a superior opponent. I merely stated that the specific people I mentioned in my own anecdote were not drunks at a bar.

And I'm sorry, but I have not come across a person in my life that has talked about being skilled in "martial arts" who doesn't go on to get the shit stomped out of them when they try to use it. Oh I have heard the story about the guy that started a fight with the MMA fighter or whatever, but I have never actually seen it. For me, to have never actually seen it, working for over a decade in places where people love to talk about being tough, is saying something. So sorry if a I scoff a little at imaging groups of these awesome kung fu experts fighting in seamless tandem, who aren't LARPing.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Jim Raynor
Sith Devotee

Post by Jim Raynor »

One thing that I think should be pointed out again is that power levels between Jedi can vary greatly. Such as when Palpatine effortlessly cut through three Jedi Masters but lost to Mace Windu in single combat. Or how Anakin's powers "doubled" between AOTC and ROTS, if his words are to be believed (and his triumph over Count Dooku supports that). So there's reason to believe that Obi-Wan might have helped against Palaptine as much as those three guys who died within seconds. A two-on-one fight might not have been regarded as three trained martial artists all in the same ballpark of capability as each other, but rather Yoda bringing his weak little kid brother along. Obi-Wan might have added next to nothing, or he might even become a liability. Obi-Wan wasn't even as strong as Anakin, but as others have pointed out he had the mental edge in that fight.

Also, what if Yoda and Obi-Wan do kill the Emperor? It might not be an assassination but rather a protracted battle, as it turned out in the actual movie. The Empire doesn't instantly fall just because Palpatine is dead. The two of them would be stuck in the capital, surrounded by countless hostile troops. Assuming they could escape that situation, they would've lost track of Anakin, the other Sith Lord.

At that point the Jedi had been all but checkmated. Even killing Palpatine would not have come close to solving all of their problems. They do however regard it as a priority to destroy the Sith. With only two Sith at any one time, and one of the current Sith being a newbie, that was an achievable goal. Maybe they couldn't save the galaxy. But at least they could attempt to free the galaxy from the Sith's evil influence once and for all.
"They're not triangular, but they are more or less blade-shaped"- Thrawn McEwok on the shape of Bakura destroyers

"Lovely. It's known as impugning character regarding statement of professional qualifications' in the legal world"- Karen Traviss, crying libel because I said that no soldier she interviewed would claim that he can take on billion-to-one odds

"I've already laid out rules for this thread that we're not going to make these evidential demands"- Dark Moose on supporting your claims
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

Havok wrote:I was pointing out that numbers don't mean shit when facing a superior opponent. I merely stated that the specific people I mentioned in my own anecdote were not drunks at a bar.

And I'm sorry, but I have not come across a person in my life that has talked about being skilled in "martial arts" who doesn't go on to get the shit stomped out of them when they try to use it. Oh I have heard the story about the guy that started a fight with the MMA fighter or whatever, but I have never actually seen it. For me, to have never actually seen it, working for over a decade in places where people love to talk about being tough, is saying something. So sorry if a I scoff a little at imaging groups of these awesome kung fu experts fighting in seamless tandem, who aren't LARPing.
Anyone with a brain makes it a point to go out of his way to not need to fight in the first place.

And you still haven't said what makes real life relevant to Jedi, Sith, and lightsabers.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Joe Momma
Jedi Knight

Post by Joe Momma »

hongi wrote:Yeah. The fight choreography of Palpatine was terrible in the movie. At leas the novel explains two of the deaths as a sort of trick move. In the movie Palpatine just waves the lightsaber around and Jedi Masters fall at his feet.
IIRC from my recent listening to the ROTS audiobook adaptation of the novel, the same abilities Palpatine used to conceal his Sith nature from the Jedi's senses could be extended to further cloud their minds, leaving them in a mental fog of confusion. That does seem to explain some of the Jedi Masters in the council chambers confrontation moving slugishly and not even looking in the right direction as Palpatine barreled toward them. That would have been conveyed much more effectively in the movie if we'd had a visual cue such as seeing briefly through one of the victims eyes.

Assuming Yoda was aware of this somehow and did not think Obi-Wan was strong enough to fight the effect off, Yoda might have thought it best not to bring Obi-Wan to fight the Emperor. Perhaps they should have stayed together to take down Anakin and then built up their strength before challenging Palpatine together, though I imagine part of the problem was wanting to take the fight to Palpatine ASAP before he could consolidate his empire and spread anti-Jedi sentiment even further.
It's okay to kiss a nun; just don't get into the habit.