Mace Windu TIme Travel (RAR)

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

keen320
Youngling

Mace Windu TIme Travel (RAR)

Post by keen320 »

Okay, not quite sure I'm using the RAR heading properly, but here goes...

So, right after Mace Windu gets his hand cut off by Anakin, he gets thrown out the window by Palpatine. Lets say that right after he dropped out of view, he was sucked into a __________ (time warp, wormhole, random plot contrivance of your choice) and it slowed him down so he won't die of the fall when he comes out, and takes him into the future, any time after Luke leaves the farm with Obi-Wan. Also, he coincidentally comes out either right about where Luke is, or somewhere Luke will soon be or will otherwise come into contact with him (perhaps attracted by rumors of a bald Jedi Master popping out of thin air).

What happens? Feel free to come up with whatever time after or during Episode IV you feel would be most interesting. Obviously, this will affect many of the reactions or questions Windu might have to/for Luke, like "You lost your hand too," or "Who did you say your dad was again?"
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Re: Mace Windu TIme Travel (RAR)

Post by FaxModem1 »

Considering Mace was falling off the Chancellor's palace, and will emerge in the exact same spot, if he isn't still writhing in pain, he's able to try and catch onto something.

If not, he becomes a blood stain near the Senate building.
keen320
Youngling

Post by keen320 »

keen320 wrote:and it slowed him down so he won't die of the fall when he comes out,
He isn't going to be a bloodstain. Perhaps I should have been more specific, and said he lands gently?
keen320 wrote:Also, he coincidentally comes out either right about where Luke is, or somewhere Luke will soon be or will otherwise come into contact with him
He also isn't landing right by the senate building, unless that's where Luke happens to be or is going at the time he comes out.

Ok, better summary of my OP: Do to a spectacularly improbable coincidence or unknown powers, Mace Windu travels to some time in the future after the beginning of ANH and almost immediately meets Luke. What happens?
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Well, he's on Tatooine, depending on how good his force sense is, he might pick up that Obi Wan is on the same planet. If not, he'll try and take Luke under his tutelage and knowing Mace's rational mindset(ie run right up to enemy and attack kamikaze style). Luke and Mace die within a week after Luke's training is done.
spaceviking
Jedi Knight

Post by spaceviking »

Along with his kamikaze mindset he is a highly skilled Jedi. Mace might lack subtlety, but he likely has the best shot of defeating Vader and later the emperor in close combat.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

WOO HOO! Mace is alive! I'm game. :D

Unfortunately, like Yoda, he would realize that the time of his Jedi was over.

He would leave Tattoine after speaking with Obi-Wan, travel to Dagobah to see his friend one last time and then hold up in some back water just as Yoda and Obi-Wan did. He would assist in the martial training if needed and the basic philosophies of the Jedi, again, if needed, but that would be about it.

Yoda and Obi-Wan made it perfectly clear that only Luke could confront and defeat Vader. What Mace would have been able to accomplish in the past to Anakin Skywalker, is no longer a viable option. Mace also is no longer a threat to Palpatine now that he has Vader.

No, only Luke could defeat Vader, and only Anakin could defeat Palpatine. The prophecy is true and correct. Old wizened mentor with the wallet that says 'Bad Mother Fucker' is all Mace would be.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Having watched ROTS again last night, I got the distinct impression that Mace was dead before he was hurled out of the window. This would explain why he's standing their wracked with pain and then suddenly flying out the window; he's dead and not resisting anymore.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

'Always in motion is the future.' The prophecy doesn't mean shit once you've started time travelling people about. There's no unalterable fate for people in Star Wars and even if there was there's no reason why Mace can't help out. Like, say holding Vader down while Luke stabs him.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Eternal_Freedom wrote:Having watched ROTS again last night, I got the distinct impression that Mace was dead before he was hurled out of the window. This would explain why he's standing their wracked with pain and then suddenly flying out the window; he's dead and not resisting anymore.
Why would he be dead? Has force lightning ever killed anyone in the movies? He certainly didn't die from getting his hand chopped off.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Crazedwraith wrote:'Always in motion is the future.' The prophecy doesn't mean shit once you've started time travelling people about. There's no unalterable fate for people in Star Wars and even if there was there's no reason why Mace can't help out. Like, say holding Vader down while Luke stabs him.
Except that Lucas has stated clearly, that only Anakin could defeat Palpatine. And seriously, you are going to hang your hat on 'always in motion is the future' yet ignore 'it is your destiny' 'he could destroy us'? :lol:

If time travel was possible, the force would 'take that into account', and you would still end up where we were at.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Havok wrote:
Eternal_Freedom wrote:Having watched ROTS again last night, I got the distinct impression that Mace was dead before he was hurled out of the window. This would explain why he's standing their wracked with pain and then suddenly flying out the window; he's dead and not resisting anymore.
Why would he be dead? Has force lightning ever killed anyone in the movies? He certainly didn't die from getting his hand chopped off.
Perhaps the shock/pain of losing the hand combined with the rather powerful force lightning did it. Force lightening hasn't killed anyone, but I doubt Palpy would trust to a long fall to kill such a powerful opponent. Like I said, that was the impression I got.

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Havok wrote:
Crazedwraith wrote:'Always in motion is the future.' The prophecy doesn't mean shit once you've started time travelling people about. There's no unalterable fate for people in Star Wars and even if there was there's no reason why Mace can't help out. Like, say holding Vader down while Luke stabs him.
Except that Lucas has stated clearly, that only Anakin could defeat Palpatine. And seriously, you are going to hang your hat on 'always in motion is the future' yet ignore 'it is your destiny' 'he could destroy us'? :lol:
This would be destiny as in:

Darth Vader: Luke, you can destroy the Emperor. He has foreseen this. It is your destiny. Join me, and together we can rule the galaxy as father and son.

Darth Vader: Your destiny lies with me Skywalker. Obi-Wan knew this to be true.

The Emperor: It is unavoidable. It is your destiny. You, like your father, are now mine.

Darth Vader: You underestimate the power of the Dark Side. If you will not fight, then you will meet your destiny.

Turns out Destiny is a just a word. Mainly used by people trying to get Luke to do something for them.
If time travel was possible, the force would 'take that into account', and you would still end up where we were at.
Makes for a pretty boring AU then.

Besides, even if you're right, Mace doesn't know it. Do you really think the Mace we saw in the movies is going to think 'so what if i got magically saved and transported through time to when everyone's needed to topple a great evil? I'm just going to retire with my remaining limbs and sit out the epic clash of good against evil in a swamp somewhere." ?
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Did you miss the part where I illustrated WHY Mace would take up a similar role as Obi-Wan and Yoda? He isn't an idiot. HIS Jedi were not up to the task. They all get that. So yes, that is exactly what Mace would do. Yoda would give him the same instruction that he gave Obi-Wan and he would spend his day chilling, talking to Qui-Gon and starting up government sanctioned superhero teams.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Darth Yoshi
Metroid

Post by Darth Yoshi »

Superhero teams? :lol:

Doesn't Mace Windu have that shatterpoint thing, where he can recognize turning points in history? At the very least, even if Obi-wan doesn't speak up, Mace should be able to tell that Luke is important enough to take precedence over seeking out Vader and the Emperor again, especially since from his perspective he had just failed to take them down.
Fragment of the Lord of Nightmares, release thy heavenly retribution. Blade of cold, black nothingness: become my power, become my body. Together, let us walk the path of destruction and smash even the souls of the Gods! RAGNA BLADE!
Lore Monkey | the Pichu-master™
Secularism—since AD 80
Av: Elika; Prince of Persia
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Darth Yoshi wrote:Superhero teams? :lol:
Yeah, y'know because Samuel L Jackson also plays Nick Fury. Kinda like how I referenced SLJs character in Pulp Fiction with the wallet that says 'Bad Mother Fucker'? I guess I have been watching too much Family Guy. :D
Doesn't Mace Windu have that shatterpoint thing, where he can recognize turning points in history? At the very least, even if Obi-wan doesn't speak up, Mace should be able to tell that Luke is important enough to take precedence over seeking out Vader and the Emperor again, especially since from his perspective he had just failed to take them down.
Basically yeah. He saw that Anakin was a shatterpoint, oops too late. It's a neat trick, but it doesn't seem to be effective enough to give him any real warning/insight about things. Luke should be a glaring shatterpoint and he would spend whatever time training him, but like with Yoda, he would let the Force bring him to his destiny like Qui-Gon would have done, instead of trying to force it upon him as they would have done before they realized that their way was not the correct one.

If circumstances brought Luke to Mace, cool, if not, well, there is another.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Depending on when he arrives, we could end up with a Obi-wan/Mace Windu vs Darth Vader fight on the Death Star.

Mace would help Luke's training, but I don't think he'd have much influence on events.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Solauren wrote:Depending on when he arrives, we could end up with a Obi-wan/Mace Windu vs Darth Vader fight on the Death Star.

Mace would help Luke's training, but I don't think he'd have much influence on events.
That would be sweet, but I doubt he would even get that involved. If he were to get involved, it would be in the same way Yoda did.

A scenario I could envision is Mace showing up on Tattooine during the rescue of Han, to 'influence' Luke to get his ass back to Yoda on Dagobah and finish his training.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Luke was the only one who could temp Vader back to the light, but I'm not so sure Luke was the only one who could 'defeat' Vader. Mace was doing a pretty damn good job of fucking up Palpatine before the end, I don't buy the notion that Palpy was holding back or looking weak just for show.

As far as destiny goes, yeah, everything happened the way it was supposed to, but the RAR changes that quite a bit. I think Mace could take and defeat Vader, I don't think he could take Palpy alone though. He fought him to a stand still once, but while not exactly surprise, he did have two buddies at the start and Palpatine was easy enough for the Jedi to get to. In Luke's time, Mace would have to dig through quite a few Stormies just to get to Palpy.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
TheHammer
Jedi Master

Post by TheHammer »

Eternal_Freedom wrote:
Havok wrote:
Perhaps the shock/pain of losing the hand combined with the rather powerful force lightning did it. Force lightening hasn't killed anyone, but I doubt Palpy would trust to a long fall to kill such a powerful opponent. Like I said, that was the impression I got.
Well, I'd argue that Anakin suffered far worse trauma in his duel with Obiwan and survived in an extremely harsh environment til Palpy arrived. As far as his injuries Mace suffered from one severed arm, a wound which was also cauterized by virtue of lightsaber function, and was blasted with only a single hit of force lightning (all others were blocked by light saber). Mace was a Jedi Master and extensive combat veteran. Quite frankly, I'd be SHOCKED if he were dead before being hurled out the window based on the damage he sustained. The fall (which I'd describe as extensively more than "long") was the logical ultimate cause of death.

Perhaps Palpatine could "sense" that Mace was dead. Or even if not, he knew he wouldn't be bothering him anytime soon even if he did survive - besides he still had a healthy Yoda, Obi-wan and numerous other Jedi to deal with in the mean time.
Sarevok
The Fearless One

Post by Sarevok »

If Mace was not dead by the time he hit the ground Palpatine would have made sure that he was. If he lived it could a huge monkey wrench thrown into Palpatine's intricate plan into it's most delicate finale moments.
I have to tell you something everything I wrote above is a lie.
TheHammer
Jedi Master

Post by TheHammer »

Sarevok wrote:If Mace was not dead by the time he hit the ground Palpatine would have made sure that he was. If he lived it could a huge monkey wrench thrown into Palpatine's intricate plan into it's most delicate finale moments.
He didn't make sure Yoda was dead. He sent troops out to look for him, but he escaped none the less. Besides, I think time for delicacy was over by the end of that battle. Palpy had issued order 66 immediately following his "knighting" of Darth Vader.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

TheHammer wrote:
Sarevok wrote:If Mace was not dead by the time he hit the ground Palpatine would have made sure that he was. If he lived it could a huge monkey wrench thrown into Palpatine's intricate plan into it's most delicate finale moments.
He didn't make sure Yoda was dead. He sent troops out to look for him, but he escaped none the less.
In fairness, he agreed with Mas Amedda that if they hadn't found the body, he's not dead. I think Palpy would have kept looking but he was then distracted by "uh oh, Vader's down"

TheHammer
Jedi Master

Post by TheHammer »

Eternal_Freedom wrote:
TheHammer wrote:
He didn't make sure Yoda was dead. He sent troops out to look for him, but he escaped none the less.
In fairness, he agreed with Mas Amedda that if they hadn't found the body, he's not dead. I think Palpy would have kept looking but he was then distracted by "uh oh, Vader's down"
Except that when Yoda dies, he fades away leaving only his cloak :lol:. I suppose that could be a Jedi trick that the sith weren't aware of, or that was learned later on. After all, when Vader strikes Obi-wan down he seems surprised that there is no body as he's kicking an empty robe.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

And Qui-Gon didn't fade away either. I hadn't considered the fade-away was something they picked up later one. Good thought.

TheHammer
Jedi Master

Post by TheHammer »

I'm kind of hypothesizing, and maybe this is explained somewhere in the EU, but perhaps to "fade away" a Jedi must be totally at peace at death. Obi-Wan seems to be in that state of mind, essentially allowing Vader to strike him down. Yoda, having revealed all his truths to Luke and accepting of his mortality.