Star Wars Novels

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

angrySCORCH62
Redshirt

Star Wars Novels

Post by angrySCORCH62 »

Hi, well I'm trying to decide on which novel to get, I know about the Star Wars EU from Wookipedia and games but I have only read one Novel fully (I think) and I want to read some of the ones set after the OT. I'm not sure if Heir to the Empire is on order but I don't want to order two by mistake so I'm looking at other Novels.

Would some one please state if these Novels spoil anything from previous novels I should read first, plus your own opinion of the book if you want (no spoilers please).

The Books are:

X-Wing Rogue Squadron
The Mandalorian Armour or the Bounty Hunter Wars Trilogy
The New Jedi Order Series, Vector Prime first (anything with Jaden Korr too)

Thanks
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Re: Star Wars Novels

Post by Solauren »

Zahn's Star Wars novels.

THe rest of them can be pretty week, or pretty strong. Depends on your personal tastes.

However, Zahn's novels seem to please the majority of Star Wars fans. Probably cause of Mara Jade (grin)
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Talhe
Padawan Learner

Post by Talhe »

Heir to the Empire was one of the first major EU books; most of the (good) series afterwards reference it in some manner, and might have some major spoilers in it. Really, it's best to start with the Thrawn Trilogy and work your way out from there; if you're worried about spoilers, I believe the Wookie has a list of the books when published.

The Mandalorian Armor is part of a (terrible) series of books that are almost completely self-contained. They lead off of Dengars story from Tales of the Bounty Hunter, but it isn't necessary. It contains a few potential spoilers from Shadows of the Empire, but for the most part the series reveals nothing a movie fan doesn't already know, and to my knowledge none of the events in this book are mentioned again.

The first seven books of the X-Wing series came out after Thrawn, and besides a few points of foreshadowing for future plot points, it doesn't really spoil. The next two are later in the chronology, and reveal a bit about the events of the Thrawn Trilogy to a certain extent.

New Jedi Order is spoilerific, frequently mentioning events of the previous EU books. I've never read the Jaden Korr book, but as it takes place in the Legacy era, I'm assuming it references past events as well.

If you're new to the EU series, I'd suggest checking out the EU authors thread for good writers; it will save you and your desk from the inevitable pain of reading Kevin J. Anderson.
What can change the nature of Man?

-Ravel Puzzlewel, Planescape: Torment
angrySCORCH62
Redshirt

Post by angrySCORCH62 »

Talhe wrote:Heir to the Empire was one of the first major EU books; most of the (good) series afterwards reference it in some manner, and might have some major spoilers in it. Really, it's best to start with the Thrawn Trilogy and work your way out from there; if you're worried about spoilers, I believe the Wookie has a list of the books when published.

The Mandalorian Armor is part of a (terrible) series of books that are almost completely self-contained. They lead off of Dengars story from Tales of the Bounty Hunter, but it isn't necessary. It contains a few potential spoilers from Shadows of the Empire, but for the most part the series reveals nothing a movie fan doesn't already know, and to my knowledge none of the events in this book are mentioned again.

The first seven books of the X-Wing series came out after Thrawn, and besides a few points of foreshadowing for future plot points, it doesn't really spoil. The next two are later in the chronology, and reveal a bit about the events of the Thrawn Trilogy to a certain extent.

New Jedi Order is spoilerific, frequently mentioning events of the previous EU books. I've never read the Jaden Korr book, but as it takes place in the Legacy era, I'm assuming it references past events as well.

If you're new to the EU series, I'd suggest checking out the EU authors thread for good writers; it will save you and your desk from the inevitable pain of reading Kevin J. Anderson.

I like to think I know a fair bit about the EU (Sun Crusher, Galaxy Gun, Clone Palpantine, Yuuvzan Vong, Thrawns demise) So certain major spoilers I may already know about, I would prefer to start bokks that introduce Characters like those that read them first.

I read that the Thrawn Duology leads to the NJO series
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

If you run across Vonda McIntyre's The Crystal Star, do not read it, ever, if you want to maintain your love for Star Wars. In fact, destroy any copies you might find. Seriously.

The Zahn books are good; I read them and liked them, but they are also a source for a lot of "minimalism" approaches to Star Wars. The X-Wing books are (I've heard) decent, but of those I only read one. The rest is really hit-n-miss.
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Grrr! Fight my Brute, you pansy!
Talhe
Padawan Learner

Post by Talhe »

I like to think I know a fair bit about the EU (Sun Crusher, Galaxy Gun, Clone Palpantine, Yuuvzan Vong, Thrawns demise) So certain major spoilers I may already know about, I would prefer to start bokks that introduce Characters like those that read them first.

I read that the Thrawn Duology leads to the NJO series
I'll try to mention the major characters that are introduced in each of the Bantam-era sagas.

Truce at Bakura: One of Luke's more minor romantic interests is introduced. None of the characters appearing in this series will be referenced/appear often, such as the Ssi-Ruu.

X-Wing: Develops Wedge as fairly important character in the EU. Same goes with Biggs, Hobbie, Tycho, and Gavin to a lesser extent. Corran is introduced as well; he becomes a more major player in the NJO, and has his own novel.

Courtship of Princess Leia: Introduces the Hapans and Danthomiri society, as well as their respective characters. The Hapans play an important part in Young Jedi Knights and the NJO/Swarm War/Legacy of the Force

Thrawn: Introduces fan favorites Mara Jade, Thrawn, Pellaeon, and Talon Karrade; all of them have an impact in the rest of the EU, though some greater then others. Also introduced the Noghiri.

Jedi Academy Trilogy: Introduces Kyp Durron and the Queen of Fail herself, Daala. Also, several second-string Jedi characters such as Tionne and Cilghal will be introduced.

Callista Trilogy: My memory is a bit hazy, but the only character I can think of is Callista, the most annoying love interest of Luke and one of the more loathed characters in the EU.

Crystal Star, New Rebellion, Black Fleet Crisis, Corellian Crisis: My memory is also a bit hazy of these, but the only recurring characters that are introduced are the not-dying bastard Thracken Sal-Solo and Braskiss, who would go on to play a role in the Young Jedi Knights.

Hand of Thrawn: No one off the top of my head is introduced.

That's about all for the Bantam-era, at least by my memory.
What can change the nature of Man?

-Ravel Puzzlewel, Planescape: Torment
blahface
Padawan Learner

Post by blahface »

I haven't read star wars books in over 10 years, but I remember Heir to The Empire being way overrated and kind of boring. I liked the Jedi Academy Trilogy though.
Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Post by Adam Reynolds »

blahface wrote:I haven't read star wars books in over 10 years, but I remember Heir to The Empire being way overrated and kind of boring. I liked the Jedi Academy Trilogy though.
What is wrong with you?
Todeswind
Jedi Knight

Post by Todeswind »

Adamskywalker007 wrote:
blahface wrote:I haven't read star wars books in over 10 years, but I remember Heir to The Empire being way overrated and kind of boring. I liked the Jedi Academy Trilogy though.
What is wrong with you?
Nothing, assuming he was prepubescent at the time. I vividly remember loving those books about the same time I was reading the Animorphs series, Tintin, and Superfudge.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Plenty of grownups like the Tintin comics. Nobody even borderline sane likes the Jedi Academy Trilogy.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Todeswind
Jedi Knight

Post by Todeswind »

Batman wrote:Plenty of grownups like the Tintin comics. Nobody even borderline sane likes the Jedi Academy Trilogy.
Nobody over the age of 12 certainly but there's a not of god awful stupid books that are sold as "young adult literature" that are no better than the Jedi Knights books that seem to do well in stores. Twilight for example. "Young Adult" or "pre-teen" literature is a codeword for books catered to the sub literate twit.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Except at least as far as I can remember the Jedi Academy Trilogy was marketed as basic Wars EU, long before they ever had a youngsters segment. Yes, it WAS that abysmally stupid.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Darth Yan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Yan »

Kyp I felt was a likable enough guy when in the hands of other competant authors, and I honestly really liked the NJO (especially The Unifying Force). Anderson had soom good ideas, and from what I read of champions of the force it wasn't too bad (then again i only skimmed through at a bookstore)

Fate of the Jedi is actually pretty damn good. The characters are reasonable, the villian Abeloth is ultimately original and compelling (unlike darth wannabe) and the jedi sith alliance wasn't too shabby. The only downside is that it had Tahiri sleep with Caedus ( :banghead: ).