Best and worse EU authors

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Re: Best and worse EU authors

Post by Batman »

The Vong were a fresh breath from someone with massive halitosis, and probably a terminal drug habit. The only reason they were a threat to begin with was the NR being utterly and iredeemably incompetent. Oh, and them being Force inert. Yes, that makes so much sense when rocks and piping and everything else absolutely CAN be affected by the Force.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
keen320
Youngling

Post by keen320 »

Well, it did make them the only credible threat to Jedi besides Sith and Dark Jedi. That's something of a problem, there were only supposed to be two Sith, but every time you need a new threat to the Jedi, they had to keep finding another dark force user. And it kind of made sense to me in the context of "medichlorians." If the Force only exists in the galaxy, and not the universe, perhaps the Vong were just missing those, so that made them inert? But you did poke a hole in that theory of mine with the point about rocks. Why didn't the Jedi just bring some rocks to smack them with, like Vader did to Luke?

Point about Zahn: Yes, he has a tendency to emphasize pet characters. But he did come up with what were, at least in my opinion, some of the best new characters and species in the EU. I think the only EU novel character I liked even close to as much as his was Lara Notsil from Aaron Allston's X-wing books.

Come to think of it, I also really like some of the characters from the comics. I don't know the authors, but I really liked the Knight of the old Republic comics, and some parts of Legacy and Empire.
Pelranius
Sith Marauder

Post by Pelranius »

Batman wrote:The Vong were a fresh breath from someone with massive halitosis, and probably a terminal drug habit. The only reason they were a threat to begin with was the NR being utterly and iredeemably incompetent. Oh, and them being Force inert. Yes, that makes so much sense when rocks and piping and everything else absolutely CAN be affected by the Force.
Well, technically you could actually affect the Vong with the Force. In Star by Star, one of the Dark Jedi at Myrkyr used the dark side to slice a Vong shaper in cubes.
Turns out that a five way cross over between It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, the Ali G Show, Fargo, Idiocracy and Veep is a lot less funny when you're actually living in it.
Darth Yan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Yan »

wasn't it that the vong existed on a totally different wavelength?
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Darth Yan wrote:wasn't it that the vong existed on a totally different wavelength?
That was Vergere's theory and I frankly think it makes more sense than the "stripped of the Force" explanation TUF provided.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Guardsman Bass wrote:Troy Denning: Usually varied between mediocre and bad. I did like a lot in Star by Star, but the "Dark Swarm" Trilogy was abysmal.
Denning writes a good Han/Leia and I love Saba, but that's about it. And yes, the Dark Nest Trilogy was a POS, but it did give me my 2nd favorite Pellaeon line:

"It isn't the killing, you know. It's the beauty of battles that I love—the choreography and the challenge of executing everything just right—and the challenge of matching your wits against a capable opponent. I guess I carry a little more Thrawn with me than I'd like to believe."
hongi
Jedi Council Member

Post by hongi »

Guardsman Bass wrote: Traitor was fascinating and different (with one of the most epic "last stand" chapters in the EU), but it doesn't seem to jibe with Lucas's vision of how the Force is supposed to be.
Vergere's conception of the Force is a guilty heresy of mine. I was a bit annoyed that they made her into a Sith and discredited that entire line of thinking.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

hongi wrote:
Guardsman Bass wrote: Traitor was fascinating and different (with one of the most epic "last stand" chapters in the EU), but it doesn't seem to jibe with Lucas's vision of how the Force is supposed to be.
Vergere's conception of the Force is a guilty heresy of mine. I was a bit annoyed that they made her into a Sith and discredited that entire line of thinking.
As I've said before, I've never been happy with that retcon either; I liked that new take on the Force.