Did the Galactic populous know who Darth Vader was?

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

GTGearZero
Redshirt

Did the Galactic populous know who Darth Vader was?

Post by GTGearZero »

This has been bugging me for along time. How was Darth Vader seen in the Empire, officially? I know that the Galactic Empire basically wiped out any history of the Jedi and the Force in general. However, was it known that Darth Vader was a Force user and was previously known as Anakin Skywalker? I mean, some people would have had to notice that Vader used a lightsaber, which was the historic weapon of a Jedi.
Jaevric
Jedi Knight

Re: Did the Galactic populous know who Darth Vader was?

Post by Jaevric »

In the EU it doesn't seem that Anakin Skywalker became Darth Vader is widely known. It's hard enough to imagine nobody in the Rebellion ever commented to Luke Skywalker "Hey, are you any relation to Anakin Skywalker, the Jedi Hero?" without adding "Hey, are you any relation to Anakin Skywalker, the Jedi Hero who now calls himself Darth Vader and is working for Emperor Palpatine?" For that matter, Obi-Wan Kenobi telling Luke that Darth Vader "destroyed" Luke's father would be pretty damn pointless if the first person with a knowledge of recent history and current events said "Dude, so your dad's Darth Vader? That's gotta be awkward."

Vader himself was instantly recognized by Leia, and she doesn't seem to expect much in the way of subtlety out of him -- "Vader. Only you could be so bold." Darth Vader seems to be a terror weapon, much like the Death Star but on a more personal level. At the same time, Anakin Skywalker would be pretty useful to Palpatine as a dead martyr -- "Skywalker moved against the Jedi when he discovered their treason against the Republic, and was subsequently murdered."

Having Skywalker as a "martyr" and Darth Vader is a terror weapon nets Palpatine all the advantages of having "Skywalker the Hero" support him, while having Darth Vader to threaten people with and do the dirty deeds the Empire doesn't want to take care of himself.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

James Luceno's novel "Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader" dealt with this. Anakin's official status in Imperial records was that he died on Mustafar -- which, in a sense was technically true.

The populace didn't know what to make of Vader when he first came onto the scene, with his clear Force potential and lightsaber training; IIRC, the Clone were uncomfortable with this given their role in Order 66. Once Vader established his reputation, however, the galactic citizens knew better than to ask. But they didn't find out Vader had been Anakin until after Endor.

As to everyone else, Yoda and Obi-Wan were the only Jedi survivors who initially knew Anakin had become Vader; others learned or figured it out. The ones who didn't thought he had been one of Dooku's acolytes.

The Imperial military didn't know either. Steve Perry and Michael Reeves' novel "Death Star" showed that even Grand Moff Tarkin didn't know -- at least not officially. He had a good idea who was under the mask based on the evidence (the timing of Anakin's official death, the environment of Mustafar, Vader's official emergence and his injuries), but he knew better than to try to prove his theory.
TC Pilot
Jedi Council Member

Post by TC Pilot »

Depending on how powerful or connected one was, it's possible to know Vader's real identity. Prince Xizor knew Vader was originally named Skywalker, for instance.
"He may look like an idiot and talk like an idiot, but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot."

"Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero."
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

TC Pilot wrote:Depending on how powerful or connected one was, it's possible to know Vader's real identity. Prince Xizor knew Vader was originally named Skywalker, for instance.
I knew I was forgetting someone; thanks, TC

Also, Bail Organa knew. I don't remember if Breha Antilles knew, but IIRC, Bail confided in the Tantive IV's captain, Raymus Antilles.
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Xizor though is depicted as the most powerful and connected person short of Vader and the Emperor though, and Xizor had his fued with Vader going on so it must have taken a devoted effort on Xizor's part to uncover Vader's true identity.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Joe Momma
Jedi Knight

Post by Joe Momma »

JME2 wrote:James Luceno's novel "Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader" dealt with this. Anakin's official status in Imperial records was that he died on Mustafar -- which, in a sense was technically true.

The populace didn't know what to make of Vader when he first came onto the scene, with his clear Force potential and lightsaber training; IIRC, the Clone were uncomfortable with this given their role in Order 66. Once Vader established his reputation, however, the galactic citizens knew better than to ask.
FWIW, the above was reiterated in the second book of the Coruscant Nights Trilogy when Captain Typho was researching the details of Amidala's death.
It's okay to kiss a nun; just don't get into the habit.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Joe Momma wrote:
JME2 wrote:James Luceno's novel "Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader" dealt with this. Anakin's official status in Imperial records was that he died on Mustafar -- which, in a sense was technically true.

The populace didn't know what to make of Vader when he first came onto the scene, with his clear Force potential and lightsaber training; IIRC, the Clone were uncomfortable with this given their role in Order 66. Once Vader established his reputation, however, the galactic citizens knew better than to ask.
FWIW, the above was reiterated in the second book of the Coruscant Nights Trilogy when Captain Typho was researching the details of Amidala's death.
I haven't read the trilogy yet; I keep meaning to get around to it.
Joe Momma
Jedi Knight

Post by Joe Momma »

JME2 wrote:
Joe Momma wrote:FWIW, the above was reiterated in the second book of the Coruscant Nights Trilogy when Captain Typho was researching the details of Amidala's death.
I haven't read the trilogy yet; I keep meaning to get around to it.
It's an interesting "film noir" perspective on Coruscant's lower levels. If you haven't read them yet, I'd suggest reading Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter and the Medstar duology first. Those books set up a number of events and characters that feature prominently in the Coruscant Nights trilogy, though said items are decently recapped in the trilogy as well.
PainRack
Emperor's Hand

Post by PainRack »

James Luceno's novel "Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader" dealt with this. Anakin's official status in Imperial records was that he died on Mustafar -- which, in a sense was technically true.
Errr, correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the novel say he dies in the Jedi Temple?
Let him land on any Lyran world to taste firsthand the wrath of peace loving people thwarted by the myopic greed of a few miserly old farts- Katrina Steiner
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

PainRack wrote:
Errr, correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the novel say he dies in the Jedi Temple?
And in Matt Stover's Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor.

You're right; it's been a while since I've read Dark Lord. I was going off of Tarkin's musings in Death Star; looks like Perry and Reeves made a continuity goof.
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

Or it could be that Tarkin has heard rumors that say he was not really at the Jedi temple when he died.
It's plausible.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
Joe Momma
Jedi Knight

Post by Joe Momma »

JME2 wrote:
PainRack wrote:Errr, correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the novel say he dies in the Jedi Temple?
And in Matt Stover's Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor.

You're right; it's been a while since I've read Dark Lord. I was going off of Tarkin's musings in Death Star; looks like Perry and Reeves made a continuity goof.
It may also indicate some ambiguity in the records themselves. In the Coruscant Nights trilogy Typho had to go to some lengths to get the records indicating Anakin's last known location was Mustafar. It was not common knowledge at the time (shortly after RotS). Likewise, in the CN trilogy it was noted that the general public didn't even know for sure if Vader was a Force user, much less a former Jedi. Speculation about Vader ranged from Dark Jedi to badass cyborg. I don't recall how that correlates with the other books.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Joe Momma wrote:Likewise, in the CN trilogy it was noted that the general public didn't even know for sure if Vader was a Force user, much less a former Jedi. Speculation about Vader ranged from Dark Jedi to badass cyborg. I don't recall how that correlates with the other books.
No, that pretty much correlates with Dark Lord at least; I'm not sure about the comics or the Last of the Jedi series.