Will Lucas do it again?

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Knife
Emperor's Hand

Re: Will Lucas do it again?

Post by Knife »

Simon_Jester wrote:Meh. I don't know. Since we've got the annoying custom of "one culture per species" in Star Wars, and since humanity is so ubiquitous, at least we get some freaking diversity by having some human societies be descendant cultures of an alien one.
Fair enough, though I'd prefer if we don't use over used tropes to get out of cliches. Still waiting for the time where a Mandalorian screams Ka-Pla like a good Klingon should.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Galvatron wrote: And yet, Boba Fett never uttered a word of anything but English in the films. Do you want Corellianese, too? How about Alderaanese? I'm disappointed that that they never invented a native Tatooinian dialect for Luke to swear in. :lol:

Sorry to break it to you...
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Abacus wrote:Don't be obtuse. Corellia and Alderaan were obviously human societies that had strong connections to the Coreworlds where Basic would have originated from. The Mandalorians, while majority of them are human, are an adopted society and culture based on a "now" dead people.
Um, Boba Fett was a Basic-speaking human in the movies. So why did his people need a special language when the others did not?
Abacus wrote:Interest in the Mandalorians did not come about until *after* the movies, so there was no purpose or drive to create a more fleshed out background.
Um, no. Interest in the Mandalorians is as old as issue #68 of the Marvel Star Wars comic series which was published before ROTJ hit theaters.
Crazedwraith wrote:
Galvatron wrote: And yet, Boba Fett never uttered a word of anything but English in the films. Do you want Corellianese, too? How about Alderaanese? I'm disappointed that that they never invented a native Tatooinian dialect for Luke to swear in. :lol:
Sorry to break it to you...
Fuck me.
Abacus
Jedi Knight

Post by Abacus »

He was in "Empire Strikes Back" which came out several years before Issue #68...and the reason he would be Basic-speaking in the movies is because he was conversing with others who knew nothing else.

@Crazedwraith: You win an internets sir.
"Does the walker choose the path, or the path the walker?"
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Abacus wrote:He was in "Empire Strikes Back" which came out several years before Issue #68...
No shit. I'm not talking about Fett, I'm talking about all the Mandalorian garbage that came along afterward.
Abacus wrote:and the reason he would be Basic-speaking in the movies is because he was conversing with others who knew nothing else.
Wow, really? It's not because he was just another Basic-speaker like every other main character?
Darksider
Sith Acolyte

Post by Darksider »

was the original Mandalorian stuff that bad? Fenn Shysa was pretty well-written in Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor.

All I know about the original Marvel stuff was that it had Shysa fighting under the Emperor in the Clone Wars, and they helped the Rebellion liberate Mandalore.

As far as I know, the klingon-esque warrior crap didn't start until Traviss sank her hooks into them. The Mandalorians were professional soldiers with good armor, but the "noble warrior" cliche just wasn't there.
And this is why you don't watch anything produced by Ronald D. Moore after he had his brain surgically removed and replaced with a bag of elephant semen.-Gramzamber, on why Caprica sucks
Abacus
Jedi Knight

Post by Abacus »

Darksider wrote:was the original Mandalorian stuff that bad? Fenn Shysa was pretty well-written in Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor.

All I know about the original Marvel stuff was that it had Shysa fighting under the Emperor in the Clone Wars, and they helped the Rebellion liberate Mandalore.

As far as I know, the klingon-esque warrior crap didn't start until Traviss sank her hooks into them. The Mandalorians were professional soldiers with good armor, but the "noble warrior" cliche just wasn't there.
^this.
Darksider
Sith Acolyte

Post by Darksider »

and from what I can tell, the comics just had shysa talking like a retarded scotsman, rather than any of the Man'doa lanquage crap.
And this is why you don't watch anything produced by Ronald D. Moore after he had his brain surgically removed and replaced with a bag of elephant semen.-Gramzamber, on why Caprica sucks
Abacus
Jedi Knight

Post by Abacus »

Darksider wrote:and from what I can tell, the comics just had shysa talking like a retarded scotsman, rather than any of the Man'doa lanquage crap.
Dude, I fucking don't care if it was crap or not. All I ever said was that I appreciated that someone gave me one to point at and say "hey, it might be bullshit, but its better than nothing." So until someone comes up with a better one, I won't complain.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

So is Lucas raping the EU by turning Mandalore into a planet of sophisticated urban-dwelling Basic-speakers? :)
Abacus
Jedi Knight

Post by Abacus »

Galvatron wrote:So is Lucas raping the EU by turning Mandalore into a planet of sophisticated urban-dwelling Basic-speakers? :)
In my opinion? A bit, yeah. The only bit that seemed close to what I use to call Mandos was his Death Watch in the series, which sucks because I don't like the DW. I'm just waiting to see if he actually comes out with the Mandalorians Protectors. If he does, then I can live with there being the "sophisticated urban-dwelling, Basic-speakers."
Ritterin Sophia
Sith Acolyte

Post by Ritterin Sophia »

Abacus wrote:
Darksider wrote:and from what I can tell, the comics just had shysa talking like a retarded scotsman, rather than any of the Man'doa lanquage crap.
Dude, I fucking don't care if it was crap or not. All I ever said was that I appreciated that someone gave me one to point at and say "hey, it might be bullshit, but its better than nothing." So until someone comes up with a better one, I won't complain.
No it's really not. If you're going to do something, don't do it half-assed.
A Certain Clique, HAB, The Chroniclers