What Imperial Army?

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Ender
Emperor's Hand

What Imperial Army?

Post by Ender »

Here's a question for you...

Of all the novels, the movies, the games, the comics, and everything else, why is it we never see or hear anything about an Imperial Army?

"But there are the stormies, and the 'Grand Army of the Republic'!" You reply (probably with a few insults thrown in there :) )

Incorrect.

Look at what they do, look at the role they play. A peacekeeping force on Tatooine. Bording an enemy craft. Conducting ground assautls after being dropped off my landing barges from ships and helicopter-type aircraft. The lack of dedicated armor (IE the AAT) in favor of extremely powerful APCs.

The Stormies and Clones are not the Army. They are the Marines.

So where is the Imperial Army?
بيرني كان سيفوز
Nuclear Navy Warwolf
in omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro
ipsa scientia potestas est
Wicked Pilot
Moderator Emeritus

Re: What Imperial Army?

Post by Wicked Pilot »

Ender wrote:The Stormies and Clones are not the Army. They are the Marines.
Becuase they deploy form space? In WWII it was the Army that landed at Normandy from the sea, not the Marines.
The most basic assumption about the world is that it does not contradict itself.
Howedar
Emperor's Thumb

Post by Howedar »

Only because the USMC was busy in the Pacific. Had they been available, they would have been first ashore.
Howedar is no longer here. Need to talk to him? Talk to Pick.
Wicked Pilot
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Wicked Pilot »

Still, the Army of SW has to deploy from space. There is no other option.
The most basic assumption about the world is that it does not contradict itself.
Enforcer Talen
Warlock

Post by Enforcer Talen »

I thought the guys in green on endor and death star and the like were the army people, and the stormtroopers were the elite?
This day is Fantastic!
Myers Briggs: ENTJ
Political Compass: -3/-6
DOOMer WoW
"I really hate it when the guy you were pegging as Mr. Worst Case starts saying, "Oh, I was wrong, it's going to be much worse." " - Adrian Laguna
Aaron2
Youngling

Army?

Post by Aaron2 »

(talking OT here) : In none of the movies or novels is there ever a mention of an imperial "army". In fact, their is no mention of a "navy" either. Its all part of the Imperial Starfleet. There is no army apart from Stormtroopers. The guys in green are just higher ranking officers (probably above Captain).

Of course, I'm also of the belief that the Imperial Starfleet is significantly smaller than what other estimate (on the order of hundreds of ships instead of hundreds of thousands). Each sector has its own security force nominally loyal to the Emperor. The dudes on the Tantive IV would fall into this category. That's why the rebels are such a threat. If a system revolts it carries with it a significant miltary force. It -needs- the Death Star to tip the balance in its favor.

Aaron (a devout canonist)
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

General Veers and his contingent were clearly members of the Imperial Army. Stormtroopers are not just marines. They are also frequently responsible for policing populations, and other functions more frequently reserved for Armies and MP's, rather than Marines. While they have many of the capabilities of Marines, they also have many of the capabilities of other branches of service.

Also, where is the evidence for only few hundred ships instead of thousands?
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
Wicked Pilot
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Wicked Pilot »

I think the problem here is that we are trying to force a fictional sci-fi spacefarring military to conform to present day military structure. It is best that we drop this army/marine train of thought and try to think outside the box on this one.
IRG CommandoJoe
Sith Devotee

Post by IRG CommandoJoe »

Why would there only be hundreds of ISDs if there are millions of star systems and it is known that an ISD alone could hold one star system? One ISD per star system, and you need reserve ISDs for planetary assault and guarding important installations, and designation to protect flagships.
Who's the more foolish, the fool or the fool who follows him? -Obi-Wan Kenobi

"In the unlikely event that someone comes here, hates everything we stand for, and then donates a big chunk of money anyway, I will thank him for his stupidity." -Darth Wong, Lord of the Sith

Proud member of the Brotherhood of the Monkey.
Ender
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ender »

Master of Ossus wrote:General Veers and his contingent were clearly members of the Imperial Army.
Proof? Keep in mind that General is a rank in the Marines.
Stormtroopers are not just marines. They are also frequently responsible for policing populations, and other functions more frequently reserved for Armies and MP's, rather than Marines.
Something I brought up in my original post. The Marines frequently serve as a peacekeeping force in other countries, IE Kandahar Towers
While they have many of the capabilities of Marines, they also have many of the capabilities of other branches of service.
Yet the combat role they fill is most similar to that of marines.
بيرني كان سيفوز
Nuclear Navy Warwolf
Ender
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ender »

USAF Ace wrote:
Ender wrote:The Stormies and Clones are not the Army. They are the Marines.
Becuase they deploy form space? In WWII it was the Army that landed at Normandy from the sea, not the Marines.
I base their classification as Marines based on how they are used in combat throughout the series, not just on how they are deployed. For example, when was the last time the Army preformed a Naval Boarding action?
بيرني كان سيفوز
Nuclear Navy Warwolf
Ender
Emperor's Hand

Re: Army?

Post by Ender »

Aaron2 wrote:(talking OT here) : In none of the movies or novels is there ever a mention of an imperial "army". In fact, their is no mention of a "navy" either. Its all part of the Imperial Starfleet. There is no army apart from Stormtroopers. The guys in green are just higher ranking officers (probably above Captain).
Yes, there is a distinct mention of the Imperial Navy. Calling it the Navy is extremely common. Yet it is never called the Starfleet.
Of course, I'm also of the belief that the Imperial Starfleet is significantly smaller than what other estimate (on the order of hundreds of ships instead of hundreds of thousands). Each sector has its own security force nominally loyal to the Emperor. The dudes on the Tantive IV would fall into this category. That's why the rebels are such a threat. If a system revolts it carries with it a significant miltary force. It -needs- the Death Star to tip the balance in its favor.
So lets just ignore all the stuff about the Navy reporting directly to the Emperor, shall we? Yes, there were independent sector fleets, but that ended with the Clone Wars when Palpatine put them all under his centralized control.
What, for Trek? That would be the only way to explain your views on an absolutly tiny Navy, your incorrect claims about the militaries organization, and you often use of the phrase "Starfleet"
بيرني كان سيفوز
Nuclear Navy Warwolf
Ender
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ender »

USAF Ace wrote:I think the problem here is that we are trying to force a fictional sci-fi spacefarring military to conform to present day military structure. It is best that we drop this army/marine train of thought and try to think outside the box on this one.
Actually, using standard military comparrison works out pretty well. For example, I can draw several parallels between USN and USAF planes and rebel fightercraft off the top of my head.

And incidently, the lack of a group to fill the army role of holding territory is even odder, considering they have a craft that fills the role of the air force qite well. I remember readingthat the Tie/gt is specifically given to planetary systems to help the army via air support (hence it's carryng missiles)
بيرني كان سيفوز
Nuclear Navy Warwolf
IRG CommandoJoe
Sith Devotee

Post by IRG CommandoJoe »

There is little doubt in my mind that the military roles of the Empire are different to the roles of the U.S. military. For a military that has a completely new different way of warfare, I wouldn't be surprised if such ideas as an army separated from a navy never existed.
Who's the more foolish, the fool or the fool who follows him? -Obi-Wan Kenobi

"In the unlikely event that someone comes here, hates everything we stand for, and then donates a big chunk of money anyway, I will thank him for his stupidity." -Darth Wong, Lord of the Sith

Proud member of the Brotherhood of the Monkey.
Darth Yoshi
Metroid

Post by Darth Yoshi »

Ender wrote:Of all the novels, the movies, the games, the comics, and everything else, why is it we never see or hear anything about an Imperial Army?
The Imperial Army is what you command in Star Wars: Force Commander, but that's a game, so I'm not sure how valid it is.
Fragment of the Lord of Nightmares, release thy heavenly retribution. Blade of cold, black nothingness: become my power, become my body. Together, let us walk the path of destruction and smash even the souls of the Gods! RAGNA BLADE!
Lore Monkey | the Pichu-master™
Secularism—since AD 80
Av: Elika; Prince of Persia
Akm72
Padawan Learner

Post by Akm72 »

Ender wrote:
USAF Ace wrote:I think the problem here is that we are trying to force a fictional sci-fi spacefarring military to conform to present day military structure. It is best that we drop this army/marine train of thought and try to think outside the box on this one.
Actually, using standard military comparrison works out pretty well. For example, I can draw several parallels between USN and USAF planes and rebel fightercraft off the top of my head.

And incidently, the lack of a group to fill the army role of holding territory is even odder, considering they have a craft that fills the role of the air force qite well. I remember readingthat the Tie/gt is specifically given to planetary systems to help the army via air support (hence it's carryng missiles)
Yet you are trying to use the fact that you can make comparasons to try and prove the existance of a separate 'Imperial Army' in addition to the 'elite' Stormtroopers. USAF ace is damn right here, there is no real justification for assuming that the Imperial military is any sort of mirror image of the modern US military.
"Scientists do not join hands every Sunday, singing, "Yes, gravity is real! I will have faith! I will be strong! I believe in my heart that what goes up, up, up must come down, down, down. Amen!" If they did, we would think they were pretty insecure about it."
- Dan Barker
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Re: Army?

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Aaron2 wrote:(talking OT here) : In none of the movies or novels is there ever a mention of an imperial "army". In fact, their is no mention of a "navy" either. Its all part of the Imperial Starfleet. There is no army apart from Stormtroopers. The guys in green are just higher ranking officers (probably above Captain).

And not a very good one. Several novels mention Imperial army troops.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
FireNexus
Cookie

Aaron, you have it all wrong...

Post by FireNexus »

The empire doesn't consider the rebels a threat. At all.

Quite simply, the rebels AREN'T a threat, except for Luke Skywalker, and only he a mild one.

They managed to win out of sheer luck, coupled with arrogance.

Palpatine was fighting a war of image. "Look at the power I command."

He played up the rebel threat so that when he crushed it, soundly, he could show the uselessness of resisting the Empire.

That's what it was through the whole trilogy. It was palpatine fighting a public relations war. And because that's the war he was fighting, he lost.

Quite frankly, a planet destroying weapon is not strategically useful against a guerilla army. It's good for flexing your muscles, and elliminating the few dozen (maybe) planets that vocally protest you, but that's a big waste of money and time.

Palpatine was all about image. The death star wasn't NEEDED, or very important, strategically. But it was useful in his PR war.

End rant.
I had a Bill Maher quote here. But fuck him for his white privelegy "joke".

All the rest? Too long.
Jim Raynor
Sith Devotee

Post by Jim Raynor »

Actually, there IS a separate Imperial Army, which is mentioned in several novels and described in great detail in the ISB. Stormtroopers are just an elite fighting force separate from both the Army and the Navy. The idea that Stormtroopers are the only ground troops the Empire has is nothing but a brain bug resulting from them being the only troops present in most of the movie scenes.
Admiral Piett
Jedi Knight

Post by Admiral Piett »

I think that the answer is under our nose.
Do you remember the tankers manning the AT-STs at Endor?
They were not not probably stormtroopers,because we saw at Hoth that they wear the armor even when they are driving tanks.
They could have been navy personnel but I find this quite unlikely that sailors would man the armor(this would be very star trek style).
So in my opinion they were a separate branch of service that could have been easily the imperial army we are looking for.
Personally I believe that the stormtroopers are used for the majority of the front line duties while the imperial "army" is used mainly for 2nd line duties, such as garrisons on quiet worlds etc.
Crazy_Vasey
Jedi Council Member

Post by Crazy_Vasey »

Darth Yoshi wrote:
Ender wrote:Of all the novels, the movies, the games, the comics, and everything else, why is it we never see or hear anything about an Imperial Army?
The Imperial Army is what you command in Star Wars: Force Commander, but that's a game, so I'm not sure how valid it is.
It's as valid as any other EU source unless it's been tagged as infinities or retroactively tagged like Rebel Assault was.
His Divine Shadow
Commence Primary Ignition

Post by His Divine Shadow »

Ender wrote:Here's a question for you...

Of all the novels, the movies, the games, the comics, and everything else, why is it we never see or hear anything about an Imperial Army?

"But there are the stormies, and the 'Grand Army of the Republic'!" You reply (probably with a few insults thrown in there :) )

Incorrect.

Look at what they do, look at the role they play. A peacekeeping force on Tatooine. Bording an enemy craft. Conducting ground assautls after being dropped off my landing barges from ships and helicopter-type aircraft. The lack of dedicated armor (IE the AAT) in favor of extremely powerful APCs.

The Stormies and Clones are not the Army. They are the Marines.

So where is the Imperial Army?
That has been cofirmed for some time by official material, do check out the Imperia Sourcebook.
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who did not.
SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

Crazy_Vasey wrote:
Darth Yoshi wrote:
It's as valid as any other EU source unless it's been tagged as infinities or retroactively tagged like Rebel Assault was.
???? Games are valid?
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
Crazy_Vasey
Jedi Council Member

Post by Crazy_Vasey »

SirNitram wrote:
Crazy_Vasey wrote:
Darth Yoshi wrote: The Imperial Army is what you command in Star Wars: Force Commander, but that's a game, so I'm not sure how valid it is.
???? Games are valid?
Supposedly. I don't think they should be but they are according to the many lectures I've had and seen at theforce.net.
His Divine Shadow
Commence Primary Ignition

Post by His Divine Shadow »

Only things in the game's story is valid.
Wich makes Desann exists, and shadowtroopers and so on.
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who did not.