are the Fate of the Jedi books any good?

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Darksider
Sith Acolyte

are the Fate of the Jedi books any good?

Post by Darksider »

I've pretty much been completely turned off to the post-ROTJ EU after LOTF, but I saw that the local borders has Outcast on sale, and that it's written by Alliston, one of my favorite SW writers.

Has anyone read any of this series? Is it any good, and does it even try to fix some of the shit from LOTF(Mando-wank, Chief of state Dala :roll: )?
And this is why you don't watch anything produced by Ronald D. Moore after he had his brain surgically removed and replaced with a bag of elephant semen.-Gramzamber, on why Caprica sucks
Darth Paxis
Padawan Learner

Re: are the Fate of the Jedi books any good?

Post by Darth Paxis »

Spoiler
So far the series is focusing around political struggles between Daala and the Jedi, while Luke and Ben go off to try to figure out why Jacen went bad. Also, Jedi are starting to go crazy, thinking that everyone around them has been replaced for some reason. So Daala is featured heavily, but the Mandos don't show up really until book 3, and even then, they seem to be portrayed a lot differently, in my opinion. There are also some indications that they are making more connections with the legacy comics. I didn't think that they were that bad, but I didn't have any real problems with LotF either, so that doesn't really mean anything.
KAC-WG

Darth Yan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Yan »

Jaina and Jagged finally decide to get married, which after six years of angsty bullshit is really refreshing. Although the main villian is more appropriate in an HP Lovecraft story.
Juubi Karakuchi
Jedi Knight

Post by Juubi Karakuchi »

Darth Yan wrote:Jaina and Jagged finally decide to get married, which after six years of angsty bullshit is really refreshing. Although the main villian is more appropriate in an HP Lovecraft story.
Jaina and Jag getting married, setting up for the Fel dynasty. I'd be interested to see how that comes about.
Ritterin Sophia
Sith Acolyte

Post by Ritterin Sophia »

Lol, no more Jedi Princess for Jaina, now it's all Empress Knight!

Seriously, though, I might pick it up now.

PS: I can't believe someone actually said they 'didn't see any real problems with LotF'.
A Certain Clique, HAB, The Chroniclers
Darth Yan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Yan »

They are trying to adress the Daala absurdity by saying that Han wasn't really thinking clearly at the time; he outright states that in hindsight it was a stupid move. Also, when they meet Jacen's spirit, he's still a douche, and we find out why he fell.
Darth Hoth
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Hoth »

Darth Yan wrote:Jaina and Jagged finally decide to get married, which after six years of angsty bullshit is really refreshing. Although the main villian is more appropriate in an HP Lovecraft story.
Do we get another resurgent Sith? Or is it just some other Dark Jedi cult?
"But there's no story past Episode VI, there's just no story. It's a certain story about Anakin Skywalker and once Anakin Skywalker dies, that's kind of the end of the story. There is no story about Luke Skywalker, I mean apart from the books."

-George "Evil" Lucas
Darth Yan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Yan »

some eldritch abomination named abeloth that was kept sealed by Centerpoint and whom the Maw was essentially a prison for. there is a cult, but luke curbstomoed their "elite" in less then a minute while he was wasted, so I doubt they are a threat in the grand scheme of things.
Anguirus
Sith Marauder

Post by Anguirus »

"Abeloth?" Seriously? There is a Lovecraftian monster species in D&D called aboleths.
"I spit on metaphysics, sir."

"I pity the woman you marry." -Liberty

This is the guy they want to use to win over "young people?" Are they completely daft? I'd rather vote for a pile of shit than a Jesus freak social regressive.
Here's hoping that his political career goes down in flames and, hopefully, a hilarious gay sex scandal.
-Tanasinn
You can't expect sodomy to ruin every conservative politician in this country. -Battlehymn Republic
My blog, please check out and comment! http://decepticylon.blogspot.com
Darth Yan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Yan »

oh jesus :banghead:
Master_Baerne
Jedi Council Member

Post by Master_Baerne »

My reaction exactly.
Conversion Table:

2000 Mockingbirds = 2 Kilomockingbirds
Basic Unit of Laryngitis = 1 Hoarsepower
453.6 Graham Crackers = 1 Pound Cake
1 Kilogram of Falling Figs - 1 Fig Newton
Time Between Slipping on a Banana Peel and Smacking the Pavement = 1 Bananosecond
Half of a Large Intestine = 1 Semicolon
Darksider
Sith Acolyte

Post by Darksider »

I wonder what the "creative" thought process was there.

"Hey guys. We're finally trying an enemy who isn't yet another fucking Sith Lord, and she's an eldritch abomination from the maw. What should we call her?"

"I don't know, just grab a name from another franchise that makes sense and re-arrange the letters a little bit"

:banghead:
And this is why you don't watch anything produced by Ronald D. Moore after he had his brain surgically removed and replaced with a bag of elephant semen.-Gramzamber, on why Caprica sucks
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

Ok, so the name is a bit off and maybe they should have ironed it out some more before going to press with it. But is the execution - beside the name - any good?
Darth Yan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Yan »

she's the one who made Ben afraid to use the force, can drive people insane, and feeds of their force energy; and she looks like a freakshow attraction. Plus she seems to be one with this planet; she uses the world to kill off at least 3 dark jedi (the sith in it are descended from survivors of the great hyperspace war who didn't make it to the final battle, and who then conned the locals into thinking that they were their prophesized gods. Sort of like what Cortes did to the Aztecs.) Her whole character hasn't been flushed out, but she seems to be pure evil.) The sith do have galactic ambitions, but seeing as their elite were wasted by an extremely tired jedi, the most extreme combat they'll be in will probably involve societal upheavel.
Darksider
Sith Acolyte

Post by Darksider »

Well, I just finished reading Outcast, and it was pretty good. I liked the characterizations, and the plot seemed decent. I liked the glimpse of the Galactic Alliance's legal system, something we really haven't seen since Corran Horn's trial in the X-wing books.

The kessel plot was decent, and I like the idea of getting a glimpse of other interpretations of the force that they seem to be going with in the Luke/Ben subplot, and the humor was well done. (I especially liked Jag's method of keeping Jaina's cover.)

I thought it was pretty good, but i'll have to read the other books in the series to see if it was anything more than Alliston's top-notch writing.

EDIT: Is alliston writing more books in the series? I know they're doing a rotation, is he on it?
Darth Yan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Yan »

yep.
Darth Yan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Yan »

the other author's named Christie Golden. I enjoyed her warcraft books, and I honestly preferred Omen to Outcast, but apparently a few people at TFN loath her. She's done tie in work for Warcraft, Starcraft, and Star Trek, and unlike Traviss doesn't seem to have Mary Sue characters (KT apparently created her own mary sues in Gears of War), which seems to be a positive thing. Still, time will tell if she's a good star wars author.
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

Darth Yan wrote:the other author's named Christie Golden. I enjoyed her warcraft books, and I honestly preferred Omen to Outcast, but apparently a few people at TFN loath her. She's done tie in work for Warcraft, Starcraft, and Star Trek, and unlike Traviss doesn't seem to have Mary Sue characters (KT apparently created her own mary sues in Gears of War), which seems to be a positive thing. Still, time will tell if she's a good star wars author.
How did Golden's book turn out? I've read some of her Warcraft books, and while they were usually enjoyable with some decent characterization, Golden never seemed to be able to really capture the -scale- of events going on (like the vastness of the war being fought between the Orcs and Humans, etc).
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
Darth Yan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Yan »

Omen's okay. TFN gave it universally negative reviews, but the action was good, the characters are decent, the dialogue isn't too bad. Apparently her characterization of the Sith Girl Vestara got praised. The journalist subplot was enjoyable, and the story portrays Daala as an out and out villian, and the scene at the animal exhibit was awesome. My advice, skimm through it at the bookstore, and if you don't like it, don't get it. Still, her books feel like STar Wars, and although the idea of the sith is annoying, I'm not sure she's the one who suggested it, and it's okay for a tired concept.
VT-16
Sith Marauder

Post by VT-16 »

Some years ago I joked that they'd add Naga Sadow to the future SW books when they run out of everything else. This is basically halfway there with the shipwrecked Sith. Apart from that, I'm a bit intrigued at the possible Celestial connection, given Luke and Ben are visiting places the SW Atlas credits them with building (Kathol Rift, The Maw, Centerpoint Station etc.).
Darth Yan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Yan »

The only connection they've got is that they sealed away the big bad Abeloth using a combination of Centerpoint and the Maw. When Centerpoint was destroyed in Fury, she started to expand a lot more influence, and she's replenishing energy by luring force users to some dimension where she can feed on them by severing their minds from their bodies. When they die completely, she feeds on them. Apparently the insanity is a way of luring Jedi to the Maw so they can enter the dimesion, allowing her to feed on their essence, thus weaking her bonds.
Connor MacLeod
Sith Apprentice

Post by Connor MacLeod »

It sounds a bit like they're recycling part of "The Crystal Star" (another force sucking interdimensional warp entity.. whee) and swiping the "ancient alien super races" idea you get in alot of sci fi (eddorians/arisians, Shadows/Vorlons, etc.)
Darth Yan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Yan »

At least it's not another Sith. When Jacen appears, he says what motivated him was a vision of a dark armored warrior on a golden throne. He didn't want the vision to pass, so he worked to stop it. Sort of like Revan in Kotor II, and just as stupid. He's not apologetic, but he's not trying to justify it. Also, Abeloth, can manipulate a whole world, and uses the vines to hang a sith. Personally, I don't think the Sith are going to be presented as a sith.
The strike team member Vestara escapes to Dathomir, and their's fanboy speculation that she and Ben will fall in love. This is her by the way: http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/starw ... estara.jpg
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Well, Golden was one of the best ST Novelists around - her mirror image book of TNG is better than the DS9 depiction of it.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Darth Yan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Yan »

you said homecoming sucked though.