Legacy ending

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Darth Yan
Jedi Council Member

Legacy ending

Post by Darth Yan »

They have essentially confirmed that legacy issue 50 will be the final issue. Why is beyond me. With Kotor they ran out of story, but here seems a wee bit early.
Srelex
Jedi Master

Re: Legacy ending

Post by Srelex »

I haven't been following Legacy much, so why do you think it's too early? Are there arcs that could do with some more steam?
"No, no, no, no! Light speed's too slow! Yes, we're gonna have to go right to... Ludicrous speed!"
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

Darth Yan wrote:They have essentially confirmed that legacy issue 50 will be the final issue. Why is beyond me. With Kotor they ran out of story, but here seems a wee bit early.
Who is 'they' - Dark Horse? Lucasfilm? - and where have they confirmed it?

Put a link up if you've got one. I checked Dark Horse's and Star Wars' website so unless I'm missing something blindingly obvious, I haven't seen any news.
Darth Yan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Yan »

it's a three parter, and unless they do a good job some plots will be left hanging.
Darth Yan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Yan »

Compare the other big comic Kotor and it's arc Demon ( a 4 parter as opposed to a 3 parter)

Kotor Demon had only three points to tie up (Demagol and who Zayne would wind up with and the crucible.) They reasonably tied up demagol and who zayne would wind up with, and the crucible were essentially crippled with their two leaders (one of whom was their head of security and the other the head of slave distribution) meeting karmically appropriate deaths, so it wasn't too much of an issue. Here they have to tie up

1.) Who will become dominant government
2.) Death of Krayt and destruction of the sith
3.) Restoration of the Jedi
4.) Sia/Fel

They can tie up plots 2 to 4, but really good writing is required to tie up things neatly
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

You're assuming there won't be a follow up series.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Good riddence. Legacy blew, and I got nothing out of the comic, story wise, that wouldn't have been just as entertaining as reading it on Wookiepedia. The art sucked as well.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Havok wrote:Good riddence. Legacy blew, and I got nothing out of the comic, story wise, that wouldn't have been just as entertaining as reading it on Wookiepedia. The art sucked as well.
We so completely disagree on this.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

I have to wonder if John simply got tired of it all. I know he has a certain love of SW, and he really does want things to end on a note of completion rather then leaving threads for stories so this will be interesting. This is not to say he'll shut tight said universe but he does not care for the main plot to have an unknown ending, some minor characters sure...but he always needs the main plot to be resolved.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
Raesene
Jedi Master

Post by Raesene »

Stofsk wrote:You're assuming there won't be a follow up series.
That's what I'm hoping for. A break for a year or so, then the continuation. Maybe we'll get a few books too.
Otherwise, better to end it on a high note than dragging it on infinitely with mediocre stories.

"In view of the circumstances, Britannia waives the rules."

"All you have to do is to look at Northern Ireland, [...] to see how seriously the religious folks take "thou shall not kill. The more devout they are, the more they see murder as being negotiable." George Carlin

"We need to make gay people live in fear again! What ever happened to the traditional family values of persecution and lies?" - Darth Wong
"The closet got full and some homosexuals may have escaped onto the internet?"- Stormbringer

Darth Yan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Yan »

Wyorlock's duplicity is already suspected. methinks he'll be exposed and the sith start to tear each other apart in bloodbath.
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

Havok wrote:Good riddence. Legacy blew, and I got nothing out of the comic, story wise, that wouldn't have been just as entertaining as reading it on Wookiepedia. The art sucked as well.
Haven't read much of it, but the art is by Jan Duursema - what precisely is wrong with her artwork?

Actually you know what, don't answer that. We're just going to disagree over something subjective.
Old Plympto
Jedi Master

Post by Old Plympto »

I think Legacy is one of those concepts that looked horrible on paper when they first announced it. It's become one of my favorite Star Wars comics nowadays thanks to a great execution. I still think Cade Skywalker's story is the weakest of the arcs though. The Gar Stazi + Rogue Squadron snippets were much more satisfying as world building stories.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Thanas wrote:
We so completely disagree on this.
We seem to do that a bit. :D
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Never really cared for it, won't care to see it go.
Tiriol
Jedi Council Member

Post by Tiriol »

I admit that I was a bit hesitant at first with the comic, but I have found it satisfying in the long run, although I can't relate to Cade Skywalker (at least, not well) - he's probably the least-likeable character in the series. I found the Imperial inner politics interesting, artwork adequate to excellent and stories interesting. I do have some problems with the series, though, although many of the problems are also to be found in other EU works.

Then again, I've been wondering if the creative staff of Legacy have truly painted themselves into corner. They can't pull an NJO and bring Zonama Sekot -style resolution to the story which would explain the Sith's downfall (if it truly comes to pass, as I think it will); and even if/when the Sith fall, Fel's Empire and the Galactic Alliance remnants are bound to find themselves in some political troubles with each other. And quite frankly I'd like to see Cade whacked to the head repeatedly, which I don't think is going to happen.
Confiteor Deo omnipotenti; beatae Mariae semper Virgini; beato Michaeli Archangelo; sanctis Apostolis, omnibus sanctis... Tibit Pater, quia peccavi nimis, cogitatione, verbo et opere, mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa! Kyrie Eleison!

The Imperial Senate (defunct) * Knights Astrum Clades * The Mess
Darth Yan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Yan »

cade's been getting better. He actually used the light, and has been thinking lately. in the tatooine arc he restrained himself when he realized what he was becoming
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Darth Yan wrote:cade's been getting better. He actually used the light, and has been thinking lately. in the tatooine arc he restrained himself when he realized what he was becoming
Which further diminishes Luke's accomplishments and the movies. Way to go EU.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Darth Yan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Yan »

:wtf: Why the fuck does it do that? Luke did it on his own, Cade had to be told, and he didn't think until his girlfriend dumped him for his douchebaggery.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Darth Yan wrote::wtf: Why the fuck does it do that? Luke did it on his own, Cade had to be told, and he didn't think until his girlfriend dumped him for his douchebaggery.
Plus, Luke had to return as a force ghost to knock some sense into him.
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Darth Yan wrote::wtf: Why the fuck does it do that? Luke did it on his own, Cade had to be told, and he didn't think until his girlfriend dumped him for his douchebaggery.
"Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny. Consume you it will, as it did Obi-Wan's apprentice."
Oops, unless you are a shitty EU character, then you can go down the dark path all you want and it will be cool. What does Yoda know about Jedi anyway? :roll:
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Havok wrote:
"Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny. Consume you it will, as it did Obi-Wan's apprentice."
Oops, unless you are a shitty EU character, then you can go down the dark path all you want and it will be cool. What does Yoda know about Jedi anyway? :roll:
Havok, quit talking about comics you have not read. Cade and his stuff is the same as Luke using the dark side in ESB and RotJ.
------------
------------
My LPs
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Thanas wrote:
Havok wrote:
Havok, quit talking about comics you have not read.
I have read them numbnuts. I have all the way through issue 30someting.
Cade and his stuff is the same as Luke using the dark side in ESB and RotJ.
Are you fucking high? When does Luke channel the Dark Side to heal people, or use Force Lightning or any of the other shitty things that Cade does in Legacy?

He chokes a guard and uses mind tricks. He slightly gives into his anger, once, and it took his father being at the mercy of his lightsaber for him to realize what he was becoming and he still barely turned away from the dark path and he did so at the cost of his life. It was a complete sacrifice. It was an exceptional feat. One which neither Obi-Wan nor Yoda thought he could pull off. And it took the Chosen One, to pull his ass out of the fire and save that life he gave up to turn away from the Dark Side. The Chosen One that could not do what Luke did because he was so far further down the dark path that it consumed him for twenty years, and took, again, sacrificing his life to save his son by one final act of good.

But oh no, Cade can join the fucking Sith and he will be cool. Because his girlfriend broke up with him. :lol:
Gimmie a fucking break.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Havok wrote:Are you fucking high? When does Luke channel the Dark Side to heal people, or use Force Lightning or any of the other shitty things that Cade does in Legacy?
Dark Empire as well as in the NJO.
But oh no, Cade can join the fucking Sith and he will be cool. Because his girlfriend broke up with him. :lol:
Gimmie a fucking break.
Yeah, let us all oversimplify things. I hear that is all the rage now.
------------
------------
My LPs