wonders of the star wars universe

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

sithlordfreedonnadd
Redshirt

wonders of the star wars universe

Post by sithlordfreedonnadd »

Feel free to make your own lists or to criticize mine or to just discuss and do what forums do and get absurdly off topic

1. Coruscant- An entire planet covered in a city. Coruscant has been the capital of the Old Republic, The Galactic Empire, The New Republic, The Yuuzhan Vong Empire, The Galactic Alliance, The Fel Empire and even Darth Krayt's Galactic Empire. hyperspace coordinates (0,0) shows the symbolism of Coruscant as the shining center of the galaxy. Official population over 1 trillion but many more. Coruscant is so complex that some people born on the under levels live their entire lives never even knowing that there is anything above the duracrete jungle that is coruscant's under-levels. A city built on cities that were built on cities the surface of coruscant is all but non-existent and demonstrates the extent to which the species of the galaxy have conquered their home completely.

2. The Death Star- Although the second one was larger, more advanced, and vastly more powerful, the first death-star symbolized the supreme might of the empire at its height. The death star's completion came at almost the exact same time as the dissolution of the imperial senate and therefor showed the Emperor's supreme power, around 160 km in diameter the massive station mounted a huge super-laser capable of destroying an entire planet. Although multiple deat-star copy's or prototypes or ships that were strikingly similar roamed the galaxy the death star alone struck fear into the hearts of more people than any other super weapon that was ever created once Alderran was destroyed.

3. The Eclipse-In some ways the Empire didn't quite give all the best to the creation of the Death Star, sub-par materials, a small thermal port that became its fatal flaw, and weapons designed only to repel large attacks, but nothing but the best was reserved for the eclipse. Arguably the most formidable warship ever created the Eclipse was shorter although more massive in total than the executer. It wielded top of the line weapons including improved ion cannons, Gravity well generators, and a huge powerful superlaser capable of cracking a planet's crust. Heavy Armor and Extremely powerful shields even allowed the eclipse class vessels to ram through other ships without care for its own safety

4. Kuat Shipyards- A ring of durasteel stretching around the entire planet of Kuat makes it the ultimate powerhouse in producing starships of all shapes, sizes and uses, and just as often as whoever sits on the throne on coruscant rules the galaxy so Kuat's biggest customer is normally whoever is in power. the giant ring-shaped shipyards have produced the powerful star destroyers for many years and their engineers designed such behemoths as the executer and eclipse. The shipyars are not only awe-inspiring in their influence on the galaxy but also in their amazing size. most likely the largest continuous structure in the galaxy the Kuat shipyards are an awesome sight to behold.

5. Centerpoint- designed by an ancient civilization even more advanced than any that currently occupies the galaxy. working with the huge repulsers on the planetary surfaces the huge sation was the most powerful object in the galaxy before it was rendered utterly useless by Thracken-Sal-Solo in the yuuzhan vong war. the station was useed to assemble the correllian system from hand-picked planets. the station could theoretically destroy a planet, cause a star to super-nova or wipe out an entire fleet in a single powerful blast

6. The Hand of Thrawn- a huge fortress on the planet nirauan. The ultimate military mastermind Gran Admiral Thrawn designed the fortress as what he considered to be the ultimate weapon. a massive collection of knowledge from all corners of the univese even the vast unknown regions were greatly filled in. The Hand of Thrawn likely had the largest and most extensive store of knowledge ever assembled. inside it also contained the clone of grand Admiral Thrawn but the clone was killed by luke skywalker and Mara jade.
vi veri veniversum vivus vici
Kythnos
Youngling

Re: wonders of the star wars universe

Post by Kythnos »

Not thinking too much about it I personally would want to see:

The Maw - not the base but the cluster of Black Holes and other such so close together should make an impressive display
There's a great difference between potential and developed power. The one is clearly visible and can be awe-inspiring. The other may take a demigod to recognize.
Master_Baerne
Jedi Council Member

Post by Master_Baerne »

Vaguely related at best, but how exactly can you have galactic coordinates with only two digits. Space has three dimensions, yes?
Conversion Table:

2000 Mockingbirds = 2 Kilomockingbirds
Basic Unit of Laryngitis = 1 Hoarsepower
453.6 Graham Crackers = 1 Pound Cake
1 Kilogram of Falling Figs - 1 Fig Newton
Time Between Slipping on a Banana Peel and Smacking the Pavement = 1 Bananosecond
Half of a Large Intestine = 1 Semicolon
Srelex
Jedi Master

Post by Srelex »

Master_Baerne wrote:Vaguely related at best, but how exactly can you have galactic coordinates with only two digits. Space has three dimensions, yes?
What do you mean? IIRC, Coruscant's co-ordinates have three digits at least.
"No, no, no, no! Light speed's too slow! Yes, we're gonna have to go right to... Ludicrous speed!"
sithlordfreedonnadd
Redshirt

You're right i didn't think about that actually that part i got of wookiepedia. but i guess it would be (0,0,0)
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Master_Baerne wrote:Vaguely related at best, but how exactly can you have galactic coordinates with only two digits. Space has three dimensions, yes?
If Coruscant is defined as the reference point for one of the coordinates (say, we measure "angle" around the galaxy starting clockwise from a line passing from the center of the galaxy out to the rim, passing through Coruscant), then you could get by with two numbers.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
BLACKSUN2000
Youngling

Post by BLACKSUN2000 »

4. Kuat Shipyards
I remember reading that the ENTIRE Kuat system was filled with shipyards not just the main planet.

It's still kinda fuzzy but I also remember mention of a ring around the system itself...again I might be wrong.
Even if I go to hell, I will live to the end of this world. And if the world does not come to an end... I will destroy it with my own hands!-Lacan

Yes, we will destroy god. That is our purpose... That is our destiny!-Grahf
Broken
Padawan Learner

Post by Broken »

IIRC, that depends on the source. I think one of the West End rpg's had the shipyards of the Kuat system as basically an asteroid belt sized structure occupying its own orbit between a couple of the planets. The more recent D20 based rpg had the shipyards as a much smaller orbital ring around the planet Kuat itself. But that is going purely off memory, my remaining Pen and Paper Star Wars rpg stuff is a few states away.
"If you're caught with an ounce of cocaine, the chances are good you're going to jail. Evidently, if you launder nearly $1 billion for drug cartels and violate our international sanctions, your company pays a fine and you go home and sleep in your own bed at night." Senator Elizabeth Warren (D-MA)

The Noldor are the Wise, and the Golden, the Valiant, the Sword-elves, the Elves of the Earth, the Foes of Melkor, the Skilled of Hand, the Jewel-wrights, the Companions of Men, the Followers of Finwë.
sithlordfreedonnadd
Redshirt

Kuat drive yards has many facilities throughout the entire system but its main facility is a ring called the orbital array that is around Kuat itself. Furthermore i would like to change Kuat shipyards above to Kuat in its entirety ,the planet and the orbital array, since the planet is a completely terraformed world and adds to the spectacular nature of the world as a whole
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

I would add to that list some worlds in the deep core, for having the most awesome night sky. And also I'd add the galactic supermassive black hole, even if you can't actually get there
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Talhe
Padawan Learner

Post by Talhe »

Hyperspace travel. The ability to explore the vast galaxy of Star Wars and create a awe-inspiring civilization is a excellent and awesome thing.

The Jedi Order. A compassionate group of protectors and guardians that have served the galaxy for thousands of years, and yet still holds true to the basic tenants established so long ago.

The OP took most of the things I wanted to say, but I think the two I mentioned above can count... from a certain point of view. :wink:

... man that was terrible.
What can change the nature of Man?

-Ravel Puzzlewel, Planescape: Torment
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Simon_Jester wrote:
If Coruscant is defined as the reference point for one of the coordinates (say, we measure "angle" around the galaxy starting clockwise from a line passing from the center of the galaxy out to the rim, passing through Coruscant), then you could get by with two numbers.
No you couldn't. It's 34.5 degrees relative left and 97.7 degrees relative down...at a distance of? You DO need three numbers to define a location. You can define a heading in three dimensional space using only two numbers, but not an actual location.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
keen320
Youngling

Post by keen320 »

It's too bad the Star Wars universe didn't have more precursor races building apparently senseless galactic wonders... :lol:
PLR2
Redshirt

Post by PLR2 »

I think that just slowly flying really high over Coruscant at night would be beautiful.
TOSDOC
Padawan Learner
Location: Rotating between Redshirt Hospital and the Stormtrooper School of Marksmanship.

Post by TOSDOC »

Slugs that survive in the vacuum of space and eat starships.

Bacta.

R2D2. I've never had a car last half as long as he did chronologically and still look that good. What the heck is he made of?
"In the long run, however, there can be no excuse for any individual not knowing what it is possible for him to know. Why shouldn't he?" --Elliot Grosvenor, Voyage of the Space Beagle
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

I'll second that. He's an amazing little robot. He keeps going for at least 72 years, admittedly with some major repairs after Yavin. But still! 70 years and still kicking. IIRC, he is the only character to appear in all 6 films that doesn't change appearance at all

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Eternal_Freedom wrote:I'll second that. He's an amazing little robot. He keeps going for at least 72 years, admittedly with some major repairs after Yavin. But still! 70 years and still kicking. IIRC, he is the only character to appear in all 6 films that doesn't change appearance at all
Well, they didn't need to make any changes to the costume, and changing the remotes internals would be easy....

And R2-D2 is around during the Legacy comics, so that's more like 150+ years total age.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Havent read those. If he is still around, that's astounding. Are there any other R2 units that survive that long? Are, for instance, Gate or Whistler still functioning?

Darth Yan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Yan »

in universe they already do have one

The Twenty Wonders: 1.) Coruscant's Imperial Palace
2.) Dawn Pyramid of Aargau
3.) Brass Soldiers of Axum
4.) Shawken Spire
5.) Belgoth's Beacon
6.) Valley of Royalty
7.) Celebratus Archive
8.) Statue of Xim
9.) Crevasse City Alderaan
10.) The Ark of Baron Auletphant
11.) Ice Crypts
12.) Caliginous Automaton
13.) Tract of Makem Te
14.) Esraza Temple
15.)Forbidden Gardens of Nuswatta
16.) Crystal City of Calius saj Leeloo
17.) Halls of Knowledge
18.) Cathedral of Winds Vortex
19.) Alsakan Mosaics .
20.) Space City Nespis VIII

These are just the in universe versions. My personal ones are

1.) Zonama Sekot: A planet that is simultaneously alive AND which can use the force. EPIC!!!
2.) The Star Forge: It's a factory with almost unrivaled scale and is literally fueled by the dark side. Yeah it helped cause the demise of the guys who built it, but hey, it was still damn impressive.
3.) Kaas City: In the new MMO The Old Republic, this is the primary base of the Ressurected Sith Order. Not only is it extremely cool looking, but it also symbolizes the power of the sith
4.) The Oracle at Pelgrin: A Tower that allows readers to SEE THE FUTURE. Sweeet.
5.) Valley of the Dark Lords: The star wars version of the valley of the kings, this place manages to be just as cool as that place, what with the tombs and the treasures and the traps.
6.) Infinity Gates: Created by the Kwa civilization before the Rakatans completely buttfucked them, these things are part dimensional travel, part superweapon.
7.) Castle Lands: Giant Burial Mounds on Alderaan that were home to the killiks before the celestials forced them into the unknow region. Though I hated the killik storyline, these mounds do look pretty damn cool
Junghalli
Sith Acolyte

Post by Junghalli »

Kythnos wrote:The Maw - not the base but the cluster of Black Holes and other such so close together should make an impressive display
If it's just a bunch of black holes in one place hanging around in otherwise empty space it might be pretty disappointing visually - I wouldn't be surprised if you saw absolutely nothing at all.
Kythnos
Youngling

Post by Kythnos »

Junghalli wrote:If it's just a bunch of black holes in one place hanging around in otherwise empty space it might be pretty disappointing visually - I wouldn't be surprised if you saw absolutely nothing at all.
Sorry I thought there where a few Stars and Neutron Stars all kind of "packed" in there, I must be thinking about another work of fiction. Even still I think being able to see the effects on sensors or maybe seeing the effects of all that gravity in the passing light would make it worth it. But that is just me I can stare at the simplest stuff, fire, waves/ripples even the wind blowing weeds, for "hours" just thinking.
There's a great difference between potential and developed power. The one is clearly visible and can be awe-inspiring. The other may take a demigod to recognize.
Bakustra
Sith Devotee

Post by Bakustra »

Kythnos wrote:
Junghalli wrote:If it's just a bunch of black holes in one place hanging around in otherwise empty space it might be pretty disappointing visually - I wouldn't be surprised if you saw absolutely nothing at all.
Sorry I thought there where a few Stars and Neutron Stars all kind of "packed" in there, I must be thinking about another work of fiction. Even still I think being able to see the effects on sensors or maybe seeing the effects of all that gravity in the passing light would make it worth it. But that is just me I can stare at the simplest stuff, fire, waves/ripples even the wind blowing weeds, for "hours" just thinking.
There's a mix of neutron stars and black holes, but I don't remember if there's a gas cloud to provide accretion disks or not. Either way, it would not be particularly spectacular except through X-ray telescopes.
Invited by the new age, the elegant Sailor Neptune!
I mean, how often am I to enter a game of riddles with the author, where they challenge me with some strange and confusing and distracting device, and I'm supposed to unravel it and go "I SEE WHAT YOU DID THERE" and take great personal satisfaction and pride in our mutual cleverness?
- The Handle, from the TVTropes Forums