Would missile spam work against Vong capital ships?

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Dark Primus
Jedi Master

Would missile spam work against Vong capital ships?

Post by Dark Primus »

Energy based weapons seems to work just fine against Vong ships, their singularities can be overwhelmed by it.
Missiles can be detonated in close proximaty to fighters destroying and cripling them by the huge blast.
But how against a capital ship would missile spam work against that? Can they overwhelm the singularity defenses?
EAT SHIT AND DIE! - Because I say so

"Me Grimlock Badass" -Grimlock
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Re: Would missile spam work against Vong capital ships?

Post by Thanas »

Yes. At the Battle of Ithor, the Imperial/Republic fleet commanded by Pellaeon did exactly that, focusing all missile weapons on the Vong flagship and destroying it.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Also, there was a battle after the fall of Coruscant where they fired super-heated metal shards at a Vong ship. The shards as a result of all the energy, looked like proton torpedoes to the Vong dovin basals, and they completely ignored the real incoming torpedoes.

I can't believe I just wrote that the New Republic figured out that high-tech buck shot would defeat the alien invaders.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

By the time the books reached Star By Star, it seemed like the dovin basals do not pose too much a threat. They reconfigured their turbolasers to different fire patterns, be it stutter fire, or just sheer volume of fire, to overwhelm the dovin basals. To that extent, the Vong actually became pretty vulnerable to NR/GFFA ships. The Vong however, made up that weakness by sheer numbers and willingless to sacrifice themselves by simply smashing their ships into NR/GFFA and taking out their shielding or targeting critical components. Shields could also be restored by some quick restore mechanism.

In short, the war with the Vong forced the NR to further ruggedise and toughen their equipment to put up a tougher fight against the enemy through increased tolerance. I would imagine to allow the turbolasers to fire more frequently, they had to ensure the energy capacitors could discharge their energy faster and withstand the fast discharge (even modern electrical capacitors have different grades to tolerate higher power, faster discharge etc.)
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
Darth Yoshi
Metroid

Post by Darth Yoshi »

IIRC, the fighters were set-up to spam low powered shots until the dovin basal tired and started letting bolts through, at which point the pilots would switch back to full power to finish the job. Presumably the turbolasers had a similar set-up, rather than designing better capacitors.
Fragment of the Lord of Nightmares, release thy heavenly retribution. Blade of cold, black nothingness: become my power, become my body. Together, let us walk the path of destruction and smash even the souls of the Gods! RAGNA BLADE!
Lore Monkey | the Pichu-master™
Secularism—since AD 80
Av: Elika; Prince of Persia
Darth Hoth
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Hoth »

Fingolfin_Noldor wrote:Shields could also be restored by some quick restore mechanism.
As I recalled it, they used their own gravitic/inertial tech to devise a counter-field that extended beyond the shield and killed dovin basal artificial gravity that came within it.
"But there's no story past Episode VI, there's just no story. It's a certain story about Anakin Skywalker and once Anakin Skywalker dies, that's kind of the end of the story. There is no story about Luke Skywalker, I mean apart from the books."

-George "Evil" Lucas
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Darth Hoth wrote:
Fingolfin_Noldor wrote:Shields could also be restored by some quick restore mechanism.
As I recalled it, they used their own gravitic/inertial tech to devise a counter-field that extended beyond the shield and killed dovin basal artificial gravity that came within it.
Both if I recall. Starfighters could restore their shield relatively quickly even if the shields get pulled off via some quick store mechanism.
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Fingolfin_Noldor wrote: Both if I recall. Starfighters could restore their shield relatively quickly even if the shields get pulled off via some quick store mechanism.
Shields in Wars are essentially immune until you do enough damage to out-race the dissipation rate. Thus if you disable shields via some mechanize that does not damage the equipment itself they can very quickly be back at 100% with no issue. Shields are even designed it seems to run right over capacity and burn out. Not useful in that it requires physically replacing the emitter and runs but turbo lasers hitting bare hull seems to be mostly instantly fatal to anything under the upper Capital range.

It's unknown how War shields discharge the energy that hits them but it is noted something fighter class can only take a shot or two before going down while capital class ships can stand up to a pretty good beating one on one but two on one goes far quicker than the slugging match being half as long.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Well, the thing is that the shield might be drawn into a infinite feedback loop when it tries to fight against the Vong's gravitic mechanism to distort the integrity of the shield. This runaway loop might lead to the shield generator burning itself out which was what happened.
Kreia