Worst EU NOVEL

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Darth Yan
Jedi Council Member

Worst EU NOVEL

Post by Darth Yan »

What is the worst EU novel you ever spent money on or read; (note, comic books don't count)
Ender
Emperor's Hand

Re: Worst EU NOVEL

Post by Ender »

Order 66 was so bad I actually threw it across the bookstore. That's right, I wall chucked a book I didn't even own. I'm lucky I didn't hit anyone.

Worst that I own... Probably that SW Galaxies novel, Ruins of Dantooine. It literally read like someone played the game and wrote down their quest line and claimed "this is a novel!". The Crystal Star was better than this. It was that bad.
Last edited by Ender on 2008-12-29 03:45pm, edited 1 time in total.
بيرني كان سيفوز
Nuclear Navy Warwolf
in omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro
ipsa scientia potestas est
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

The Crystal Star

That was just such a boring book, and a pain to read. It was only through sheer inertia that I forced myself to finish that thing. Even KJA's books were readable, despite their other problems. Easily the worst I've read: I own it and I've only read it the once. Every other book, even Darksaber I've read more than once (although I'll happily skip the Luke and Callista bits). And this was back in middle school, before I gave a damn about the numbers or continuity and whatnot.

FYI, I haven't read much of the NJO, and none of KT's work or any post-NJO beyond a few Legacy comics and the Zahn novels. Hence why LOTF and the "Adventures of the Mandalorians" don't get a mention here.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Darth Hoth
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Hoth »

I have deliberately kept from purchasing any Traviss novels, but from what I have seen and heard of them, they easily qualify (with some difficulty pinning down which one that is the worst).

As for the worst that I have actually read in their entirety, The Crystal Star would be the worst written, though it is at least self-contained and free of much of the stupid minimalism that is otherwise so pervasive. The plot and writing style were, of course, both awful (in particular, Leia apparently becoming schizophrenic).
"But there's no story past Episode VI, there's just no story. It's a certain story about Anakin Skywalker and once Anakin Skywalker dies, that's kind of the end of the story. There is no story about Luke Skywalker, I mean apart from the books."

-George "Evil" Lucas
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

The New Rebellion

One world, three star destroyers, a bunch of droid-bombs, and the entire New Republic is in jeapordy.

Yeah, it's that ludicrous.
JADAFETWA
Eleas
Jaina Dax

Post by Eleas »

I'd like to nominate Isard's Revenge, but you know, I can't remember a single thing that happened in it. So I suppose I have to echo its spiritual brother, aka The New Rebellion.
Björn Paulsen

"Travelers with closed minds can tell us little except about themselves."
--Chinua Achebe
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

I can't decide if "I, Jedi" or "Bacta War" was worse. I'll probably say "Bacta War" beause the wank extended past one character.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Grand Lord Revan
Redshirt

Post by Grand Lord Revan »

Anything, and I mean *ANYTHING* Written by Timothy Zahn, where the original SW gang plays second fiddle to Zahn's own godmodding characters. Then he goes on ahead and makes "Outbound Flight", same agenda: The Original SW characters play sidekicks and don't act the way they would had a more experienced SW writer would've portrayed them. And he goes too far out of his way to make homages to the original series.

On the other hand, Kevin J. Anderson's "Darksaber" and the "Shadows of the Empire" Novelization by Steve Perry ought to be made into movies.
(Leaning in the shadows, stepping forward, a Hooded, Caped, Cloaked Figure with a silver aura about him reveals himself. A Genius, vigilante, a fighter, and near-peerless tactical officer and giftred leader. A grey Jedi swordsmaster whose mastery Rivals even the Original Revan-- Me)
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Grand Lord Revan wrote:Anything, and I mean *ANYTHING* Written by Timothy Zahn, where the original SW gang plays second fiddle to Zahn's own godmodding characters. Then he goes on ahead and makes "Outbound Flight", same agenda: The Original SW characters play sidekicks and don't act the way they would had a more experienced SW writer would've portrayed them. And he goes too far out of his way to make homages to the original series.
Perfectly valid criticisms of an outherwise talented author aside...
On the other hand, Kevin J. Anderson's "Darksaber" and the "Shadows of the Empire" Novelization by Steve Perry ought to be made into movies.
:shock:

You have to be kidding.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Themightytom
Sith Devotee

Post by Themightytom »

Hey Darksaber would follow the current Hollywood trend of slow build to last minute letdowns. (I'm looking at YOU mission to mars)

"Since when is "the west" a nation?"-Styphon
"ACORN= Cobra obviously." AMT
This topic is... oh Village Idiot. Carry on then.--Havok
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Themightytom wrote:Hey Darksaber would follow the current Hollywood trend of slow build to last minute letdowns. (I'm looking at YOU mission to mars)
Yes but it would also restart the trend of awful SW movies (or continue it depending on your opinion of Episode III and the CW movie).

I think that i'm going to change my vote from Bacta War to Darksaber now. Bacta War was just wank, but it did have Wedge Antilles and a hilarious part where Corran Horn gets his ass whooped being stupid. I can appreciate that on an unintended level. But Darksaber was pathetic in so many ways. THE GODDAMN THING COULDN'T EVEN FIRE!

Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

And here I thought the 'original SW gang' were pretty central to TTT and the Hand of Thrawn duology...

'Crystal Star'. Yes, the abomination that is KJA's work did infinitely more damage to the EU since unlike 'Crystal Star', it actually had consequences in the later EU. But viewed on its own, KJA's work is simply really bad, whereas 'The Crystal Star' is 'You gotta be fucking kidding me. This makes absolutely no sense.' bad.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Batman wrote:And here I thought the 'original SW gang' were pretty central to TTT and the Hand of Thrawn duology..
Yeah, I don't get it either.
Eleas wrote:I'd like to nominate Isard's Revenge, but you know, I can't remember a single thing that happened in it. So I suppose I have to echo its spiritual brother, aka The New Rebellion.
What was so wrong about Isard's Revenge? Do you maybe confuse it with the "rebels attack coruscant" novel? And how was The New Rebellion Isard's Revenge's spiritual brother?
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Kartr_Kana
Jedi Knight

Post by Kartr_Kana »

Zahn's novels are all centered around "The Gang" he just created new enemies for them and some new allies. The only exception would be Outbound Flight which follows Jorj Car'das, but it still has Obi-wan and Anakin from the main cast.

I don't know why you had a problem with his characterizations of "The Gang" either. Han's still a scoundrel, Lando's a charmer and schemer and the both stick pretty close to who they are in the movies except that they're more responsible and wiser. I think you could say that about all of them in his works.

As much as I like Zahn and his novels I have to admit they are phenomenally minimalist, but that's about the only thing wrong with them

For my least favorite Novel(s) I'm going to have to say the Killik Trilogy. Interesting idea of bringing back the mysteriously vanished species that used to live on Alderaan, but they made them into an organic borg complete with a hive mind and an evil queen, oh and they're from the star wars version of the delta quadrant. Then there was the bit where the Falcon's hyperdrive has nacelles and can do a "smugglers reverse" in hyperspace. :banghead:

I actually like Hard Contact and Triple Zero is ok, but I stopped reading KT after I picked up Bloodlines (which IMO was better then Killik Trilogy). I didn't even bother with the LotF after that.

"Our Country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't be any AMERICA because some foreign soldier will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race!"
LT. GEN. LEWIS "CHESTY" PULLER, USMC
Eleas
Jaina Dax

Post by Eleas »

Thanas wrote:What was so wrong about Isard's Revenge?
That's just it. I can't remember. I don't recall a single thing that happened in that book aside from the asinine "villain got away" contrivance. The only thing I remember is the bored incredulity I felt while reading it. The plot? If there was one, it was at best unworthy of remembrance. I've had to look it up on Wookiepedia to get any sort of clear picture of it.
Thanas wrote:Do you maybe confuse it with the "rebels attack coruscant" novel? And how was The New Rebellion Isard's Revenge's spiritual brother?
*looks up the "plot" of Isard's Revenge*
Both were terminally boring affairs, both suffered from villains impossible to take seriously even if they'd been standing over your supine body revving up a bloody chainsaw, and both were supposed stand alone as distinct chapters in the Star Wars saga, and finally and most saliently, both failed miserably. While The New Rebellion is a hair worse from the fact that Rusch can't write action scenes for shit (an arena in which Stackpole's actually fairly competent, though he does, to put it delicately, write with his left hand), I think it's one thing for a newcomer to fuck up, and another for a veteran Star Wars author.

Then again, one shouldn't be too surprised. After all, Stackpole was the guy who actually had to beg his readers to buy more of his books to be able to pay his rent, a telling (if pathetic) episode.
Björn Paulsen

--Chinua Achebe
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

It's a tie between Children of the Jedi and Planet of Twilight. Barbara Hambly's books were like valium to me. Stinkers like The New Rebellion and The Crystal Star didn't even do that, although I admit they were mighty awful as well.
Captain Piett
Redshirt

Post by Captain Piett »

I haven't read very much Star Wars fiction (as often what's convincing and interesting on screen is rather less so in prose), but the worst EU story I've read is nestled right next to the best EU story I've read (that amazing Boba Fett story by Daniel Keys Moran) in Tales of the Bounty Hunters-- that horrible Kevin J. Anderson story where IG-88's clone becomes the Death Star, which manages to retroactively make an actual Star Wars movie horrible and dumb by the very act of slipping itself into the ROTJ canon. "# End of IG-88's Droid Revolution[2] " is listed as one of the results of the Battle of Endor on Wookiepedia, and it's all Kevin J. Anderson's fault.

Then again considering KJA's Dune prequels I suppose Star Wars got off rather lightly...

Anyway that Daniel Keys Moran story rules, there should be a whole thread about how great it is.
Darth Yoshi
Metroid

Post by Darth Yoshi »

In all fairness, Isard's Revenge takes place right after TTT, so the argument could be made that the threat wasn't so much Isard and Disposable Warlord #18, but the fact that the NR was still reeling from Thrawn's blitzkrieg.
Grand Lord Revan wrote:On the other hand, Kevin J. Anderson's "Darksaber" and the "Shadows of the Empire" Novelization by Steve Perry ought to be made into movies.
I thought SOTE was bearable, although that might only be due to association with the game, which inspired Rogue Squadron. However, Darksaber was fucking terrible. Seriously, Super-Wampa? What?
Fragment of the Lord of Nightmares, release thy heavenly retribution. Blade of cold, black nothingness: become my power, become my body. Together, let us walk the path of destruction and smash even the souls of the Gods! RAGNA BLADE!
Lore Monkey | the Pichu-master™
Secularism—since AD 80
Av: Elika; Prince of Persia
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Post by Imperial Overlord »

Eleas wrote:. After all, Stackpole was the guy who actually had to beg his readers to buy more of his books to be able to pay his rent, a telling (if pathetic) episode.
What? Tell me more of this. Feed my Stackpole hate.
The Excellent Prismatic Spray. For when you absolutely, positively must kill a motherfucker. Accept no substitutions. Contact a magician of the later Aeons for details. Some conditions may apply.
Kartr_Kana
Jedi Knight

Post by Kartr_Kana »

I too am unfamiliar with this story, please enlighten us!

"Our Country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't be any AMERICA because some foreign soldier will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race!"
LT. GEN. LEWIS "CHESTY" PULLER, USMC
Darth Hoth
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Hoth »

Bad press aside, I have to say that KJA is not quite as awful as people paint him, in the Wars franchise at least. He is not the worst minimalist (Stackpole, Zahn, Kube-McDowell readily outdo him), does not write as retarded plots as some (Rusch, McIntyre, Denning absolutely surpass him), and does not have a Traviss's obnoxious attitude and not-so-hidden agenda. When Dark Empire came out, he (unlike Zahn) was ready to make adjustments to his books to at least somewhat fit it into continuity, so he did at least try. By the novel Expanded Universe standards, he is actually a quite benign influence (though this is, of course, a somewhat relative statement).
"But there's no story past Episode VI, there's just no story. It's a certain story about Anakin Skywalker and once Anakin Skywalker dies, that's kind of the end of the story. There is no story about Luke Skywalker, I mean apart from the books."

-George "Evil" Lucas
Darth Yan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Yan »

Revalation; Invincible had action to make up for it, but revalation just sucked hard
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Eleas wrote:
Thanas wrote:What was so wrong about Isard's Revenge?
That's just it. I can't remember. I don't recall a single thing that happened in that book aside from the asinine "villain got away" contrivance. The only thing I remember is the bored incredulity I felt while reading it. The plot? If there was one, it was at best unworthy of remembrance. I've had to look it up on Wookiepedia to get any sort of clear picture of it.
Actually, it was quite a clever plot IMO, tying up loose ends etc. Also, it had decent descriptions of space battles.
Thanas wrote:*looks up the "plot" of Isard's Revenge*
Both were terminally boring affairs, both suffered from villains impossible to take seriously even if they'd been standing over your supine body revving up a bloody chainsaw, and both were supposed stand alone as distinct chapters in the Star Wars saga,
Where do you get that from? Isard's Revenge was not supposed to stand alone at all.
and finally and most saliently, both failed miserably. While The New Rebellion is a hair worse from the fact that Rusch can't write action scenes for shit (an arena in which Stackpole's actually fairly competent, though he does, to put it delicately, write with his left hand), I think it's one thing for a newcomer to fuck up, and another for a veteran Star Wars author.
We have to differ here. Stackpole does not wank the Rogues to his usual extremes in Revenge, Krennel seems to be a competent commander and the rogues almost got killed by a well-planned ambush that was only foiled when TIE Defenders showed up. The rogues even lose simulator battles to Imperials in the book. I definitely believe Revenge is his best work.

Kartr_Kana wrote:As much as I like Zahn and his novels I have to admit they are phenomenally minimalist, but that's about the only thing wrong with them
Agreed, though given that he only had WEG sourcebooks to work with as background, one shouldn't be surprised of the minimalism.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Eleas
Jaina Dax

Post by Eleas »

Imperial Overlord wrote:
Eleas wrote:. After all, Stackpole was the guy who actually had to beg his readers to buy more of his books to be able to pay his rent, a telling (if pathetic) episode.
What? Tell me more of this. Feed my Stackpole hate.
Mwahaha. Oh man, you'll love this then. After all, 'tis better to show than tell.
Björn Paulsen

--Chinua Achebe
tim31
Sith Devotee

Post by tim31 »

What's worse than that is that the suckers literally bought it and granted him a temporary reprieve. I just have a vision of him sitting with the other arseholes and their laptops in Starbucks, hard at 'work'.
lol, opsec doesn't apply to fanfiction. -Aaron

PRFYNAFBTFC
CAPTAIN OF MFS SAMMY HAGAR
ImageImage