Hyperspace energy requirements

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Ender
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ender »

Also, I tried timing the jump today. It is less then a second. Unfortunately, my Nero 6 code won't work with my updated Nero 7 patches, so I can't frame count to determine just how much more.
بيرني كان سيفوز
Nuclear Navy Warwolf
in omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro
ipsa scientia potestas est
Surlethe
HATES GRADING

Post by Surlethe »

Connor MacLeod wrote:Which jump? I can see if I can time it.
The Avenger in ESB, as it jumps away and the Falcon "drifts away with the garbage."

Also, if it's not too much trouble, could you try timing the Falcon's first jump from Tatooine in ANH? This method should work for the little ship, too.
A Government founded upon justice, and recognizing the equal rights of all men; claiming higher authority for existence, or sanction for its laws, that nature, reason, and the regularly ascertained will of the people; steadily refusing to put its sword and purse in the service of any religious creed or family is a standing offense to most of the Governments of the world, and to some narrow and bigoted people among ourselves.
F. Douglass
Surlethe
HATES GRADING

Post by Surlethe »

Here's another thought. The Avenger is not traveling parallel to the observing camera; it travels a bit further than the 7600 km in the OP. I'm not really up to speed with optics, and I don't know how far the ISD was from the camera, but here's the trig: C = sqrt(A^2 + B^2 - 2ABcos(c)), where c is the angle, A is 7585 km, B is the starting distance from the camera, and C is the distance it actually traveled. I don't know if the angle is significant enough to increase C more than 5%, but it's worth looking into, especially as estimates are refined.

If we don't know the mass to more than one or two significant figures, though, there's probably no need to use this.
A Government founded upon justice, and recognizing the equal rights of all men; claiming higher authority for existence, or sanction for its laws, that nature, reason, and the regularly ascertained will of the people; steadily refusing to put its sword and purse in the service of any religious creed or family is a standing offense to most of the Governments of the world, and to some narrow and bigoted people among ourselves.
F. Douglass
Connor MacLeod
Sith Apprentice

Post by Connor MacLeod »

Surlethe wrote:
Connor MacLeod wrote:Which jump? I can see if I can time it.
The Avenger in ESB, as it jumps away and the Falcon "drifts away with the garbage."
I count 12-14 frames from the time the engine flares up and the ship moves to the point it disappears. Call it roughly half a second.
Also, if it's not too much trouble, could you try timing the Falcon's first jump from Tatooine in ANH? This method should work for the little ship, too.
There are two parts of that:

1.) the "starlines" in the cockpit. That takes roughly 48 frames, or about 2 seconds. Then the scene cuts to an external shot of the Falcon jumping

2.) the external shot takes around 14-16 frames from the cut from the cockpit to the point the Falcon vanishes. Callit about 2/3 of a second.
Connor MacLeod
Sith Apprentice

Post by Connor MacLeod »

Another curious thing: When the Avenger's engine flare up prior to its "Acceleration" into hyperspace, the ship does not move the least bit during the flare up. I'm not sure what to attribute that to.

A hefty amount of EU points to rapid "transition" to lightspeed in a matter of seconds (or less.) There's Hutt Gambit (Between Nar Shaddaa and Nal Hutta during the Battle), there was Boba Fett in the Traviss LOTF novel (half a second IIRC), and there was the relatavistic accecleration of Vong ships in "Destiny's Way" that most notavly come to mind (the Vong frigate's inertial compensators failed as the ship accelerated up to lightspeed - it got to .6c when they failed and the crew was pasted.)

I also have a vague recollection that some of the X-wing novels (partiuclarily Bacta War and/or Isard's Revenge) hinting at rapid transitions to lightspeed (seconds tops)

Edit: Ah, found them in the Bacta War
In the blink of an eye all five ships went to lightspeed and vanished.
a couple of x-wings and some freighters.
He glanced over to his left and saw Asyr's X-wing hanging off his
S-foil. "Three seconds to lightspeed." "I copy, Wedge."
Wedge hit a button on his console and made the jump to lightspeed. The stars
elongated, then sucked him into a tunnel of white light,
Wedge making a jump to lightspeed.

A bit after this, when Gavin escapes the Imperials, his X-wing covers "kilometers" distance before jumping to lightspeed (implied many kms).

In Isard's Revenge, Corran's damaged X-wing (two engines short) cannot make acceelerate up to the desired velocity to reach lightspeed (but two engines was enough for hyperspace travel apparently), so he needed assistance from a TIE Defender tractoring him to reach the velocity.
Last edited by Connor MacLeod on 2007-10-01 01:16am, edited 1 time in total.
Surlethe
HATES GRADING

Post by Surlethe »

Thanks a bunch, Connor. That all means the Avenger's power output during the jump is something like 2.6E26 W. Say the MF has a mass of, oh, 60 tons = 6E5 kg (I just pulled this out of my ass). If it accelerated constantly in the jump, then since it covered 7585 km = 7.5E6 m = (at^2)/2, a = 2*(7585 km)*9/4 = 3.4E7 m/s/s; after 2/3 s, v = 2.28E7 m/s. (This is 0.076c.) Neglecting relativity (justifiably), KE = (mv^2)/2 = 1.41E19 J. Over 2/3 s, that gives 2.12E19 W output for the MF.

Edit: As far as the starlines go, I've always assumed that was simultaneous to the following external view of the jump. Inside the cockpit, you see starlines as outside, you see it fading into the distance.
F. Douglass
evillejedi
Padawan Learner

Post by evillejedi »

what there ships do you want? I only have the rots ICS and I believe I have covered everything in there besides the fighters
Ender
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ender »

evillejedi wrote:what there ships do you want? I only have the rots ICS and I believe I have covered everything in there besides the fighters
Scroll down to list

Also, please scale the ROTS fighters
بيرني كان سيفوز
Nuclear Navy Warwolf
in omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro
ipsa scientia potestas est