2006 Limited Edition DVDs: Still in Stores?

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Are they still around where you live?

Yes
68%
No
32%

Total votes: 25

Kurgan
Sith Marauder

2006 Limited Edition DVDs: Still in Stores?

Post by Kurgan »

Okay, just asking folks if they still are seeing these DVDs new on store shelves.

I was out shopping the evening of Dec. 31st and saw them at Best Buy in Cedar Rapids, but I haven't been to the stores to check since that time.

Amazon.com is still selling them.

I didn't think I really believed that Lucas would have them "pulled" from store shelves at midnight on Dec. 31, 2006, but I thought there might have been a chance.

The "Limited Edition" from 2005 is still available, so I am just curious if people are still seeing them locally... have they gone up in price? Down? Stayed the same?

I remember they said this "limited" release would end on Dec 31st, so presumably that just meant they wouldn't press anymore discs, and stores would still have to actually sell what they had on their own time... and once they're gone, they're gone (until the next release that is... but remember this is supposedly "the first and only time"!).
fun/fantasy movies existed before the overrated Star Wars came out. What made it seem 'less dark' was the sheer goofy aspect of it: two robots modeled on Laurel & Hardy, and a smartass outlaw with bigfoot co-pilot and their hotrod pizza-shaped ship, and they were sucked aboard a giant Disco Ball. -adw1
Someone asked me yesterday if Dracula met Saruman and there was a fight, who would win. I just looked at this man. What an idiotic thing to say. I mean really, it was half-witted. - Christopher Lee

JKA Server 2024
FedRebel
Jedi Master

Re: 2006 Limited Edition DVDs: Still in Stores?

Post by FedRebel »

I saw some (Full-Screen versions) at the Target and Meijer yesterday where I live
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Which DVDs are these again, the ones that were the original trilogy presented unaltered? I've seen those around, mostly at Walmart...
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Kurgan
Sith Marauder

"collect" dvds?

Post by Kurgan »

Elheru Aran wrote:Which DVDs are these again, the ones that were the original trilogy presented unaltered? I've seen those around, mostly at Walmart...
Yep. The two disc sets. I just wanted to see if they were still selling them...

So I guess they're still pretty easy to find!

I see Amazon.com is selling the tin box for $150... what insane crap!

It's apparently just the three sets (which can be had for $50 total some places) in an easy to damage metal box...
fun/fantasy movies existed before the overrated Star Wars came out. What made it seem 'less dark' was the sheer goofy aspect of it: two robots modeled on Laurel & Hardy, and a smartass outlaw with bigfoot co-pilot and their hotrod pizza-shaped ship, and they were sucked aboard a giant Disco Ball. -adw1
Someone asked me yesterday if Dracula met Saruman and there was a fight, who would win. I just looked at this man. What an idiotic thing to say. I mean really, it was half-witted. - Christopher Lee

JKA Server 2024
Kurgan
Sith Marauder

Post by Kurgan »

Okay, the person who voted "No" where do you live?

Perhaps some stores are running out of them, but I wonder if they will send more stock to those stores when they run out?

This "Limited Edition" business may have been little more than a publicity stunt, this time around too...

JKA Server 2024
Mange
Sith Marauder

Post by Mange »

Yes, they can be found allover here in stores (at least in my hometown in Sweden).
glass
Youngling

over here in the UK...

Post by glass »

I picked up ANH and TESB yesterday, and cheap too. For some reason, neither of the shops I went into had RotJ, but hopefully that is just coincidence.

glass.
'Half full of shit' -Circvs Maximvs
Aquatain
Padawan Learner

Post by Aquatain »

Mange wrote:Yes, they can be found allover here in stores (at least in my hometown in Sweden).
Odd i haven't seen them at all in Denmark.
There Lives More Faith In Honest Doubt,Belive Me,Than In Half The Creeds. ~ Alfred Lord Tennyson.

"The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity."
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

They aren't actually going to pull unsold copies off the shelves- that'd be losing money.

Also, what the hell are you doing in Cedar Rapids?
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.
glass
Youngling

Re: over here in the UK...

Post by glass »

glass wrote:I picked up ANH and TESB yesterday, and cheap too. For some reason, neither of the shops I went into had RotJ, but hopefully that is just coincidence.
Just as an update: I picked up RotJ at lunchtime today. For some reason, it was £23, even though the other two were still there for £8 each. :?

glass.
'Half full of shit' -Circvs Maximvs
General Brock
Jedi Council Member

Post by General Brock »

Some companies would have stocked up lots, for the promise of steady sales over time. It's promised to be rare enough that it won't end up in a bargain bin.
Kurgan
Sith Marauder

Post by Kurgan »

DPDarkPrimus wrote:They aren't actually going to pull unsold copies off the shelves- that'd be losing money.

Visiting my family. I used to live there you know! ;)

There's a few of us Iowans on SD.net I've found... we should all have a party or something. heh

I only started this topic because tons of people were speculating that the discs would be pulled from store shelves after Dec. 31st (a smaller number of folks claimed the same thing about the 2005 set though).

I wonder if there will be as much unsold stock sitting around as the 2005 editions?

Now 6 people have voted no!

Okay, perhaps I should have rephrased.

If and ONLY IF they were ever sold in stores in your area.. are they STILL being sold?

I wonder how quickly stores will run out of copies...

Thanks again for everyone's input. The beauty of the internet... ;)

JKA Server 2024
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

Kurgan wrote:
DPDarkPrimus wrote:They aren't actually going to pull unsold copies off the shelves- that'd be losing money.

That makes four of us from Cedar Rapids alone! Image
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Spanky The Dolphin wrote:
Kurgan wrote:

That makes four of us from Cedar Rapids alone! Image
Be glad you don't live in New York then! :P
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Kurgan
Sith Marauder

Post by Kurgan »

Well, the university bookshop here in Nashville is still selling them (at a marvelously overpriced tag of $26.99 each; but then all their DVDs are overpriced), checked yesterday.

Sadly the other major CD/DVD seller that was close by closed up shop (Tower records) recently, leaving Blockbuster. ;P

JKA Server 2024