The most ancient Jedi or Sith

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Shinova
Emperor's Hand

The most ancient Jedi or Sith

Post by Shinova »

Should be a pretty simple question. Do we know the names and histories of the most ancient Jedi or Sith? The ones who lived way, way back before the Empire, and the Republic, and so on?
What's her bust size!?

It's over NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAND!!!!!!!!!
Darth Yoshi
Metroid

Post by Darth Yoshi »

Naga Sadow is the earliest Sith Lord that I remember. I don't know the exact period when he lived, but I know he was already an ancient Force ghost by the time Exar Kun became a Sith Lord, 4000 BBY.
Fragment of the Lord of Nightmares, release thy heavenly retribution. Blade of cold, black nothingness: become my power, become my body. Together, let us walk the path of destruction and smash even the souls of the Gods! RAGNA BLADE!
Lore Monkey | the Pichu-master™
Secularism—since AD 80
Av: Elika; Prince of Persia
Jedi Knight

Post by 000 »

Kaja Sinis and Darth Scarz. Respectively.
Noble Ire
The Arbiter

Post by Noble Ire »

000 wrote:Kaja Sinis and Darth Scarz. Respectively.
Been praying at the temple of SuperShadow, have we? :P
The Rift
Stanislav Petrov- The man who saved the world
Hugh Thompson Jr.- A True American Hero
"In the unlikely story that is America, there has never been anything false about hope." - President Barack Obama
"May fortune favor you, for your goals are the goals of the world." - Ancient Chall valediction
Jedi Knight

Post by 000 »

I couldn't help it-- I was just been carousing the Wooki article on him. : P
Tres cool!

The actual first Lord of the Sith-- Sith'ari-- was King Adas, a rare black-skinned member of the Sith species who united the entire planet of Korriban some five millennia before the founding of the Republic.

The first Dark Lord of the Sith as we know the term-- that is, a Dark Jedi who took over the Sith race-- was almost certainly Ajunta Pall and/or one or more of his unnamed cohorts, possibly including an unnamed Dark Lord who favored full-body red armor and is depicted in the Dark Side Sourcebook.

The first Jedi was some monk on Tython, I suppose. Not nearly as much is known about early Jedi history as about that of the Sith.
Ritterin Sophia
Sith Acolyte

Post by Ritterin Sophia »

Hold on, last I checked the Sith'ari was a prophecy for a Sith Lord who embodied everything they believed in would destroy the Sith and make them stronger.
GeneralTacticus
Jedi Knight

Post by GeneralTacticus »

Apparently, it's both. The excellent (IMO) SW Insider article entitled Evil Never Dies - The Sith Dynasties, "Sith'ari" is a Sith word meaning "Overlord", applied to King Adas because he was the first of the Sith to unite the whole species under one ruler. My guess would be that the same title was applied to the prophecy of the Sith'ari on the basis that he (or she) was expected to do something just as significant for the Sith, and thus warranted the same title.
Lex
Rabid Monkey

Post by Lex »

According to the Ultimate Star Wars Chronology(old version), the oldest know Sith is Marka Ragnos

he ruled the Sith for a millenia until the fight between Naga Shadow and Lude Kresh

However, it is also hinted that he was not the first Lord of the Sith!
As long there is gravity, ride on...
Jedi Knight

Post by 000 »

Yeah, Sith'ari means literally "Overlord," and was initially merely the title for the being who ruled the united Sith species. Since the fall of the original Sith Empire it went on to become the name for a prophesied perfect being, which is what it's better known for.

As a side note, Sith'ari is etymologically related to Jen'ari, which was the Sith word for "Dark Lord."

Anyone interested in further information of the Sith history ought to read Evil Never Dies, an excellent article by the estimable Abel Peña.

Lex: Marka Ragnos was, for some time, the oldest named Lord of the Sith, but he was never thought to be anywhere close to the oldest.

As I said earlier, King Adas would be the first Overlord (technically, the first Dark Lord of the Sith, although the term did not exist at the time) while Ajunta Pall was among the group of Human Dark Jedi who became the original Sith Lords as we know them. It's unknown if Pall was the very first, however, or if he shares the title with multiple others.[/i]
EnsGabe
Youngling

Post by EnsGabe »

On a tangential note, where was the first instance that the Sith were referenced (out of universe)? I ask, because I can think of no reference to the Sith in the original trilogy, and have always just assumed that the Sith were an EU invention to begin with.
The Monarch: "Anyone wanna explain to me why my coccoon is charred?"
24: "Because you told us to blow it up"
The Monarch: "And why it is sideways?"
21: "We were following orders! You can't yell at us for following orders."
24: "Or kill us for following orders."
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

EnsGabe wrote:On a tangential note, where was the first instance that the Sith were referenced (out of universe)? I ask, because I can think of no reference to the Sith in the original trilogy, and have always just assumed that the Sith were an EU invention to begin with.
Darth Vader, Dark Lord of the Sith. I believe it was coined in Empire, either the scroll or the novel. But that is the most known reference.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
VT-16
Sith Marauder

Post by VT-16 »

The ANH script or novelization, I believe. Either way, it's GL's invention (from a pre-existing word, of course).
Lex
Rabid Monkey

Post by Lex »

000 wrote: -snip-

Lex: Marka Ragnos was, for some time, the oldest named Lord of the Sith, but he was never thought to be anywhere close to the oldest.

-snip-
If you had read my post, you would see that that was exactly what I wrote...
As long there is gravity, ride on...
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

The ANH novellisation talks about Lord Vader as a Dark Lord of the Sith, and was published in 1976. I think the word is in the early scripts, but these weren't published for a good long time unless you happened to be someone George was pitching the film to.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Jedi Knight

Post by 000 »

Lex: I apologize for the misunderstanding, then.

Vader is named Dark Lord of the Sith in issue #1 of the Marvel comics as well.
Darth Massacrus
Youngling

Post by Darth Massacrus »

The oldest Jedi I can recall are Xendor, who was a Jedi who fell to the Dark Side around the time of the founding of the Republic and raised an army called the Legions of Lettow (and might have been the first Dark Jedi ever); and Jedi Master Awdrysta Pina, who placed Xendor's lover Arden Lyn into a coma for 24000+ years after she mortally wounded him.

As for the Sith, Adas is the oldest I know of.
S.I.T.H.: Seeks Illicit Teachings and Heresies

Breaking news: News Channel13's helicopter has crashed. News Channel13 is first on the scene...

I bid you Dark Greetings....
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

Nobody knew exactly what 'Dark Lord of the Sith' meant for a long time. Timothy Zahn, when writing the HTTE trilogy, originally wanted to call the Noghri 'Siths', but Lucas nixed that because he had ideas churning.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
PainRack
Emperor's Hand

Post by PainRack »

Since AOTC ICS and the Bentu numerology bit, doesn't that show that the old scripts and how the Bentu were the order which orginally discovered the Force valid?
Let him land on any Lyran world to taste firsthand the wrath of peace loving people thwarted by the myopic greed of a few miserly old farts- Katrina Steiner
QuentinGeorge
Youngling

Post by QuentinGeorge »

The various sources are incredibly vague on the "true" origins of the Jedi, but is most likely a synthesis of various force traditions, including the Force Warriors of Tython, the monks of the Order of Dai Bendu and the paladins of the Chatos Academy.
DesertFly
has been designed to act as a flotation device

Post by DesertFly »

Wow, speaking of ancient things, Darth Massacrus has managed to resurrect an ancient thread!

Xendor's article has him using the "Bogan" as the Dark Side of the Force, another term that I believe was coined by George Lucas but never really caught.
Proud member of the no sigs club.
Darth Massacrus
Youngling

Post by Darth Massacrus »

Wasn't the tem Ashla used by the ancient Jedi to describe the Light Side, just as Bogan was for the Dark Side?
S.I.T.H.: Seeks Illicit Teachings and Heresies

Breaking news: News Channel13's helicopter has crashed. News Channel13 is first on the scene...

I bid you Dark Greetings....
Ritterin Sophia
Sith Acolyte

Post by Ritterin Sophia »

DesertFly wrote:Wow, speaking of ancient things, Darth Massacrus has managed to resurrect an ancient thread!
Seriously, isn't that just par for the course by now? He's resurrected like half a dozen dead threads.
Last edited by Ritterin Sophia on 2007-10-12 03:26am, edited 1 time in total.
A Certain Clique, HAB, The Chroniclers
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

General Schatten wrote:
DesertFly wrote:Wow, speaking of ancient things, Darth Massacrus has managed to resurrect an ancient thread!
Seriously, isn't that just par for the course by now? He's ressurected like half a dozen dead threads.
And apparently, no mod has stumbled by yet...
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia