IMAX AOTC to be shortened

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

IMAX AOTC to be shortened

Post by Tsyroc »

I read this on another site but the story originated with the Force.net

http://www.theforce.net/episode2/index.html#18113
IMAX Clones Is Bigger But Shorter
Mon, Sep 16, 02 01:08:45 PM EDT

The Jordan's IMAX Theater is reporting that AOTC will be cut by 23 minutes to conform to most IMAX systems:
The IMAX edition, which will be distributed by Twentieth Century Fox "exclusively to IMAX theaters," will be trimmed from its original 143 minutes to fit the 120-minute capability of most IMAX platter systems. A LucasFilm spokesperson told LFX that the editing will "maintain the integrity" of the story.
Maybe they can cut out some of the Threepio slapstick humor? :?
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Kelly Antilles
Sith Acolyte

Post by Kelly Antilles »

You know, with as "great" as IMAX is supposed to be, you would think they would be completely digital. I don't understand why they have 120 minute platters. That's pretty rediculous. Let's see, they'll cut the chase with Zam down to maybe two minutes, chasing Dooku will be shorter... maybe they'll cut all the stuff on Naboo.

I hate when people mess with something that was already shown one way. :(
greenmm
Padawan Learner

Post by greenmm »

23 minutes cut?

That's it, I'm never seeing it in IMAX.

Of course, given the price, I wouldn't anyway.
Stravo
Official SD.Net Teller of Tales

Post by Stravo »

That's odd, I saw LOTR on the IMAX here in NYC and it wasn't edited at all. I know this because I had seen the movie four times before :D So I wonder if it's only in certain IMAXs. I hope so because I'm not looking forward to paying for AOTC Lite. Althoug, I wouldn;t mind the fireplace scene mysteriosly disappearing.
Wherever you go, there you are.

Ripped Shirt Monkey - BOTMWriter's Guild Cybertron's Finest Justice League
This updated sig brought to you by JME2
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Stravo wrote:That's odd, I saw LOTR on the IMAX here in NYC and it wasn't edited at all. I know this because I had seen the movie four times before :D So I wonder if it's only in certain IMAXs. I hope so because I'm not looking forward to paying for AOTC Lite. Althoug, I wouldn;t mind the fireplace scene mysteriosly disappearing.
On the site I first heard about the length cutting of AOTC it was stated that the 120 minute limiting factor doesn't apply to all IMAX theaters only certain ones.
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Lord_Vader
Youngling

Post by Lord_Vader »

Isnt the fireplace scene where Padme wears that um rather revealing dress? If thats the case why would anyone want it gone? :P
"Join me and I will complete your training"
"You dont know the power of the Dark Side"
Kelly Antilles
Sith Acolyte

Post by Kelly Antilles »

Lord_Vader wrote:Isnt the fireplace scene where Padme wears that um rather revealing dress? If thats the case why would anyone want it gone? :P
*sigh* Men.

The whole scene was worthless and BORING. All of the stuff on Naboo seemed to be put there to try and bring chicks to the theater. *buzz* Wrong answer. Yes, I'm a woman and I still thought those were the most boring scenes in the entire movie. Every time I saw it, I fell asleep during those scenes. Pretty bad when a Star Wars movie puts you to sleep.
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

In any case it shouldn't be too hard to find 23 minutes of senseless yapping, romance, and Jar-Jar Binks scenes to cut out.
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
Oberleutnant
Jedi Council Member

Post by Oberleutnant »

IMO there was nothing wrong with those few Jar-Jar scenes in EPII. They were extremely important for the story and it was obvious that our adorable Gungan had matured a lot since we saw him last time.
Raptor 597
Sith Devotee

Post by Raptor 597 »

Oberleutnant wrote:IMO there was nothing wrong with those few Jar-Jar scenes in EPII. They were extremely important for the story and it was obvious that our adorable Gungan had matured a lot since we saw him last time.
Matured? What you tripping on cause I want some. :D
Formerly the artist known as Captain Lennox

"To myself I am only a child playing on the beach, while vast oceans of truth lie undiscovered before me." - Sir Isaac Newton
Cal Wright
American Warlord

Post by Cal Wright »

Kelly Antilles wrote:
Lord_Vader wrote:Isnt the fireplace scene where Padme wears that um rather revealing dress? If thats the case why would anyone want it gone? :P
*sigh* Men.

The whole scene was worthless and BORING. All of the stuff on Naboo seemed to be put there to try and bring chicks to the theater. *buzz* Wrong answer. Yes, I'm a woman and I still thought those were the most boring scenes in the entire movie. Every time I saw it, I fell asleep during those scenes. Pretty bad when a Star Wars movie puts you to sleep.
That was in no way pointless. It showed exactly what was going to go wrong. Two people, young, in love and deep in responsibilities. Padme understands what would happen if they did this, Anakin needs convincing. The whole point of that was to show that it would be overly wrong for them to even have a relationship much less get married like they did at the end.

Were you born with out a sense of humor or did you lose it in a tragic whoppy cushion accident? -Stormbringer

"We are well and truly forked." -Mace Windu Shatterpoint

"Either way KJA is now Dune's problem. Why can't he stop tormenting me and start writting fucking Star Trek books." -Lord Pounder

The Dark Guard Fleet

Post 1500 acheived on Thu Jan 23, 2003 at 2:48 am
Anarchist Bunny
Foul, Cruel, and Bad-Tempered Rodent

Post by Anarchist Bunny »

Yeah, if you don't like tits, some of the movie can get really really really boring. Ofcourse if you can just turn them out, and check her out, the movie wasn't really that bad.
//This Line Blank as of 7/15/07\\
Ornithology Subdirector: SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences
Wiilite
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

I am of two minds with this. On the one hand super huge screen! On the other, Lucas shot it all on digital cameras and no matter how much you try, it just doesn't convert well to film. The picture losses 'sharpness' and the image in general looks 'grany'. So I'm not sure that I would like to see it even larger...
Η ζωή, η ζωή εδω τελειώνει!
"Science is one cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on" - Masuka 'Dexter'
"Angela is not the woman you think she is Gabriel, she's done terrible things"
"So have I, and I'm going to do them all to you." - Sylar to Arthur 'Heroes'
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Kelly Antilles wrote:You know, with as "great" as IMAX is supposed to be, you would think they would be completely digital. I don't understand why they have 120 minute platters. That's pretty rediculous. Let's see, they'll cut the chase with Zam down to maybe two minutes, chasing Dooku will be shorter... maybe they'll cut all the stuff on Naboo.

I hate when people mess with something that was already shown one way. :(
There is no digital projector capable outputting to an IMAX screen, unless you like like seeing the individual pixels and blocking artifacts (the latter of which were visible in the original release).
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Crown wrote:I am of two minds with this. On the one hand super huge screen! On the other, Lucas shot it all on digital cameras and no matter how much you try, it just doesn't convert well to film. The picture losses 'sharpness' and the image in general looks 'grany'. So I'm not sure that I would like to see it even larger...
OTOH, the film release of AOTC wasn't done very well - I've heard that they used a high-speed film to decrease the time it took, thus adding greatly to the grain. For the IMAX release, I seriously doubt that Lucasfilm wouldn't try to do the best possible release.
Eleas
Jaina Dax

Post by Eleas »

Kelly Antilles wrote:
*sigh* Men.
No, there was only one male in that scene, and I doubt he'd qualify for that epithet. :)
I thought the Sound of Music part was horrible. As for the fireplace scene... well, the meadows paled in comparison.
Björn Paulsen

"Travelers with closed minds can tell us little except about themselves."
--Chinua Achebe
Eleas
Jaina Dax

Post by Eleas »

Crown wrote:I am of two minds with this. On the one hand super huge screen! On the other, Lucas shot it all on digital cameras and no matter how much you try, it just doesn't convert well to film. The picture losses 'sharpness' and the image in general looks 'grany'. So I'm not sure that I would like to see it even larger...
Am I the only one to think SW shouldn't be too crisp? The softed look of ANH was just right, IMO.
Björn Paulsen

--Chinua Achebe
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

There is a difference between softness and grainy. When I say grainy, it's like you actually see the picture on the screen made up of tiny crystals, and it just looks weird. Like this;

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

And there are hundreds of them all over the screen, the same could be said for Black Hawk Down. And not to mention that to focus the sucker is like trying to balance a knife on a string!
Eleas
Jaina Dax

Post by Eleas »

Crown wrote:There is a difference between softness and grainy. When I say grainy, it's like you actually see the picture on the screen made up of tiny crystals, and it just looks weird. Like this;

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

And there are hundreds of them all over the screen, the same could be said for Black Hawk Down. And not to mention that to focus the sucker is like trying to balance a knife on a string!
Oooh. I see the problem.
Björn Paulsen

--Chinua Achebe
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

Eleas yep :wink:

And I am sorry, but you will now 'see' this problem more often now that it has been called to your attention. That's one of the draw backs in being a projectionist, you can never truely enjoy watching a movie because your mind and eye is trained to watch the print quality fist and foremost! Hey want me to ruin your watching experience with the Star Wars original trilogy too? Tell me and I will tell you what to watch out for, it's actually quite funny, but I think after you realise it, you would end up hating me for it. One of the reason's why friends don't go and see movies with me!
Eleas
Jaina Dax

Post by Eleas »

Crown wrote:Eleas yep :wink:

And I am sorry, but you will now 'see' this problem more often now that it has been called to your attention. That's one of the draw backs in being a projectionist, you can never truely enjoy watching a movie because your mind and eye is trained to watch the print quality fist and foremost! Hey want me to ruin your watching experience with the Star Wars original trilogy too? Tell me and I will tell you what to watch out for, it's actually quite funny, but I think after you realise it, you would end up hating me for it. One of the reason's why friends don't go and see movies with me!
Doubtful. I can take anything you dish out, boy. Actually, look at it realistically. This is a forum where we dissect everything about the movies. You think I haven't learned suspension of disbelief after three years on ASVS and sundry other boards? ;)
Björn Paulsen

--Chinua Achebe
Enlightenment
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Enlightenment »

Eleas wrote:You think I haven't learned suspension of disbelief after three years on ASVS and sundry other boards? ;)
Random tangent:

The one thing that most wrecks suspension of disbelief is getting serious about writing your own fiction. I've never been able to look at SF the same way ever since I started writing my own novel. Moral: if you want to keep your suspension of disbelief, don't start writing.
It's not my place in life to make people happy. Don't talk to me unless you're prepared to watch me slaughter cows you hold sacred. Don't talk to me unless you're prepared to have your basic assumptions challenged. If you want bunnies in light, talk to someone else.
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

Part of what I do in my writing in someone else's universe is that I write it as if it were an historical fiction piece. You simply must maintain continuity with that person's universe or your book loses all credibility. The other thing is that you should always read things twice. Once maintaining suspension of disbelief and just having fun with the words. The second time you analyze everything. Why does he have characters moving in this direction? Why does she have this character say what she does? Why does he order things the way he does? It works great.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
Kelly Antilles
Sith Acolyte

Post by Kelly Antilles »

Eleas wrote:
Kelly Antilles wrote: *sigh* Men.
No, there was only one male in that scene, and I doubt he'd qualify for that epithet. :)
I meant that as a generalization that all men want to see Natalie Portman's breasts. ;)
I thought the Sound of Music part was horrible. As for the fireplace scene... well, the meadows paled in comparison.
Yeah, what was up with that. Geez. Everyone in the theater started singing at that scene. Woke me up. ;) How inconsiderate.
Eleas
Jaina Dax

Post by Eleas »

Kelly Antilles wrote:No, there was only one male in that scene, and I doubt he'd qualify for that epithet. :)
I meant that as a generalization that all men want to see Natalie Portman's breasts. ;) [/quote]

Help, I'm being oppressed! :)
Yeah, what was up with that. Geez. Everyone in the theater started singing at that scene. Woke me up. ;) How inconsiderate.
On the other hand... the rest of the movie just blew me away. "I am disappointed in you Obi-Wan... Qui-Gon had such high regard for you. Surely you can kill an old vampire like myself?"

Uh, maybe I misremembered that part...
Björn Paulsen

--Chinua Achebe