The Clone Wars Season 5 - Spoilers!

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

RogueIce
_______

The Clone Wars Season 5 - Spoilers!

Post by RogueIce »

So, since no one else has started it yet...and yes, I put the spoiler warning in the title because I despise spoiler boxes. No need for them now!

So, anyway, it started off this morning, and damn son I loved it. Nice followup to the season finale as Obi-wan continues to pursue Maul and his brother apprentice. Not sure who the Jedi was that was killed; I've seen her before but can't remember where. Good to see Kenobi react to her death though. Provided a nice emotional moment, plus seeing him get all angry and really open up on the Sith Brothers. Yoda's definately right about Kenobi taking this personally...

Also Palpatine. New voice actor (RIP to the old one :( ) but he's pretty good. Like his evil smile at the end. Apparently ol' Sidious has plans for his former apprentice...can't wait to see how he makes use of this latest development. Palpatine's never been one to miss an opportunity, after all.

So, overall a good start to the season. Next week looks pretty good, we get the Power Trio (Obi-wan, Anakin and Ahsoka) in it, plus some Clone goodness. Can't wait!
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
AndroAsc
Padawan Learner

Re: The Clone Wars Season 5 - Spoilers!

Post by AndroAsc »

I would say that was a close one for Kenobi. Going up against Maul and Savage alone... Btw, is it me or does Savage seems a bit nerfed since the last season? He ways portrayed as being way more powerful in the last season.

And the way that the pirates just blew off Maul's leg in the last part was a serious WTF. Maul alone could have taken out that group of pirates, I don't see why he and Savage needed to retreat.
Darksider
Sith Acolyte

Post by Darksider »

Obi wan had just kicked both their asses pretty handily, what with chopping savage's arm off and all. Maybe they were winded from the fight?

Rogue, the Jedi killed was Adi Gallia, a member of the Jedi Council. This also marks the second explicit contradiction with the existing EU, since Grevious already killed her in one of the Comics. I don't mind them contradicting the EU, but IMHO the obsession comic that she died in was pretty good, so it seems like they're contradicting the good bits of the EU and leaving in the shitty ones.
And this is why you don't watch anything produced by Ronald D. Moore after he had his brain surgically removed and replaced with a bag of elephant semen.-Gramzamber, on why Caprica sucks
AndroAsc
Padawan Learner

Post by AndroAsc »

Darksider wrote:Obi wan had just kicked both their asses pretty handily, what with chopping savage's arm off and all. Maybe they were winded from the fight?
No, Obi-wan had kicked Savage ass, not Maul's in that fight. If you had been watching, you'd realized that Obi-wan was lucky to have gotten out of that fight alive. If not for the cave in, Maul would have chopped up Obi-wan. Hence, as I said, Maul alone could have taken out that bunch of pirates, there was no need to retreat, especially since Obi-wan did not appear in that scene until like a few minutes after they starting running away.
Darksider
Sith Acolyte

Post by Darksider »

It's possible he was just concerned for his apprentice. He did seem rather shocked when obi-wan took Savage's arm.
And this is why you don't watch anything produced by Ronald D. Moore after he had his brain surgically removed and replaced with a bag of elephant semen.-Gramzamber, on why Caprica sucks
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Darksider wrote:Rogue, the Jedi killed was Adi Gallia, a member of the Jedi Council. This also marks the second explicit contradiction with the existing EU, since Grevious already killed her in one of the Comics. I don't mind them contradicting the EU, but IMHO the obsession comic that she died in was pretty good, so it seems like they're contradicting the good bits of the EU and leaving in the shitty ones.
Ah. Knew I'd seen her somewhere.

TBH I'm not worried about the continuity issues. Probably in large part because I mostly don't care about most of the prequel EU anyway so it doesn't contradict anything I've actually read. That and I do enjoy the show so I don't mind if its version of events reigns supreme.

Yeah it's a shame if good stuff got retconned out, but what the hell: this show got Karen Traviss to ragequit the franchise by retconning her Mando crap so after that I cut it a shitton of slack. :razz:
Darksider wrote:It's possible he was just concerned for his apprentice. He did seem rather shocked when obi-wan took Savage's arm.
I think this was it. He was more concerned with getting his brother/apprentice to safety and thus couldn't spare the concentration to take out the pirates (as well as the time: Obi-wan was still chasing him after all) and this distraction is what also led to his leg getting shot.
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Boeing 757
Padawan Learner
Location: Εν ενί γαλαξία μένω, ον συ ου δύνασαι ευρείν χωρίς διαστημικού οχήματος.

Post by Boeing 757 »

I have to admit that I haven't been following Maul's return too closely, but...am I the only one a little irked that Maul was brought back to life (well, technically now he hadn't died)? I mean, Maul always struck me as an intriguing fellow even if he didn't speak all too often, but this whole affair just reeks of a, ahm, derth of creativity when the show's writers need to bring a dead character back to spark some life into it. :x
Omnia praesumuntur legitime facta donec probetur in contrarium.

Kritisches Denken schützt vor Illusionen.

Παν μέτρον άριστον τῷ κρατίστῳ.
AMX
Jedi Knight

Post by AMX »

Nah, I'm pretty sure they're just pandering to the Maul fanboys.

Speaking of fanboys:
I noticed a disturbing lack of Ventress in this episode. :evil:
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

The show had plenty of life in it during the entire season even before Maul. I would say that it's creatively the best season yet. Almost in spite of Maul.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Darksider
Sith Acolyte

Post by Darksider »

Honestly I wish they'd ditch the Maul arc and do more stuff like the Umbara arc, I.E. Life on the front lines of the actual Clone Wars.
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Darksider wrote:Honestly I wish they'd ditch the Maul arc and do more stuff like the Umbara arc, I.E. Life on the front lines of the actual Clone Wars.
Yeah me too. Easily one of the best arcs of the show. But I also really dug the Ventress stuff and the genocide of the force witches. Really gave you a look into the war and the pure evil of the Sith.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Darksider wrote:Honestly I wish they'd ditch the Maul arc and do more stuff like the Umbara arc, I.E. Life on the front lines of the actual Clone Wars.
Well it looks like you'll be getting that from the previews for this week's episode. And it even looks like the Clones aren't in "full" armor (at least, they seem to be wearing 'Endor-style' helmets) so that's something new.

I don't mind Maul being back, as it gives something personal for Kenobi to do. And I doubt it'll consume the whole season; most likely an episode here or there, possibly being part of the finale or not.

AndroAsc
Padawan Learner

Post by AndroAsc »

Man last episode was bullshit... what was the entire crap over "we don't train terrorists?" Does this imply that the republic does not engage in guerrilla warfare?
AMX
Jedi Knight

Post by AMX »

AndroAsc wrote:Man last episode was bullshit... what was the entire crap over "we don't train terrorists?"
It's something you generally want to avoid, if only because it has a tendency to bite you in the ass later on.
Does this imply that the republic does not engage in guerrilla warfare?
No.

Of course, the episode was rather, uh, underwhelming.
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

What annoys the piss out of me, and it did in ST too, is that everyone fucking knows or knows of eachother. They should be expanding the universe not shrinking it. There are how many countless trillions in the known SW galaxy?
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

So the Onderon abortion is finally over.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Ire
Youngling

Post by Ire »

Flagg wrote:So the Onderon abortion is finally over.
All around it was pretty mediocre to generic as an arc. Nothing horrifically bad but all around feels like it's been dragged out and predictable except for maybe the last episode in some aspects
SylasGaunt
Sith Acolyte

Post by SylasGaunt »

You know episodes with younglings are depressing in their own way just because you know that pretty much all of them are destined to die horribly.

Also was this the first time they've shown a blaster blowing a hole in someone like that on this show?
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

SylasGaunt wrote:Also was this the first time they've shown a blaster blowing a hole in someone like that on this show?
No, one of the female Rebels in the "soft war" arc got shot through and they showed it (from more than one angle to boot).

Darksider
Sith Acolyte

Post by Darksider »

Ok, is it just me, or was David Tennant voicing the lightsaber builder droid?
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

I have to admit, I rather liked David Tennant's character as a lightsaber building teaching droid. Also, Gungi is the cutest little wookie ever.
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

Gungi rocks. He also has my favorite lightsabre of all time. This arc has been phenomenal.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Darksider
Sith Acolyte

Post by Darksider »

Holy shit. Grevious actually won a fight! Against Obi-Wan no less.

Careful production team, keep this up and you might make him seem like a threatening antagonist again.
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

Yeah, the shit with Obi-Wan getting his clock cleaned was great. No more Greivous getting captured by fucking Gungans I hope.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Darksider
Sith Acolyte

Post by Darksider »

So this episode continues the awesome streak pretty well. Grevious wins again, seizing control of Florrum and driving off Hondo in repayment for the whole ransoming Dooku thing. His army pretty much Steamrolls the pirates in five seconds and he just walks into Hondo's "throne room" like he owns the place, because now he fucking owns the place.

There's also a fight between Grevious and Asokha that has some pretty decent choreography, which can be rare in this series.