The Imperial symbol

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Apollonius
Youngling

The Imperial symbol

Post by Apollonius »

It's very elegant and all, but... there's one thing about it that has bothered me for years.
Did you notice that, in the films, it only appears on the uniforms of the lowest-ranking enlisted personnel, and only on the second Death Star? It's not emblazoned on the stormtrooper's armour, nor etched on the data disk of the officer's hats, nor on or in any of the star destroyers, nor anywhere else throughout the Original Trilogy, except on the second Death Star.
I suspect that it was originally supposed to be merely the unit patch of the Death Star personnel, just like modern militaries wear shoulder patches to show their belonging to a particular unit. It only stands for the Death Star itself, its six rays symbolising the partial rays of the primary weapon, and only afterwards was it retconned into standing for the Empire as a whole.
When you think of it, wouldn't the Imperials want to mount their symbol on as many surfaces and items of clothing as possible, like all the other fascists in history? After all, uqibuitousness of state insignia is one of the more obvious outward characteristics of totalitarianism. And accordingly, once it had been retroactively declared the Imperial Symbol, it really became ubiquitous in the EU, despite it being rather obscure in the OT.
Am I onto something here?
Metahive
Sith Devotee

Re: The Imperial symbol

Post by Metahive »

The imperial crest isn't all that elegant, it's actually a rather clunky and awkward symbol. Compare it to other symbols of authoritarian governments, the swastika, the SS runes and the hammer and sickle. They were simple, memorable and easy to reproduce. The imperial "cogwheel" in contrast needs considerable effort to be drawn recognizably and whatever symbolism it contains is rather obscure. Add to that that it is just a slightly altered version of the Galactic Republic's crest and I can see why the Empire uses it only sparingly, it's just a token of continuity with the old regime.
People at birth are naturally good. Their natures are similar, but their habits make them different from each other.
-Sanzi Jing (Three Character Classic)

Saddam’s crime was so bad we literally spent decades looking for our dropped monocles before we could harumph up the gumption to address it
-User Indigo Jump on Pharyngula

O God, please don't let me die today, tomorrow would be so much better!
-Traditional Spathi morning prayer
Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

I think the reason why the crest wasn't used very often in the movies is that, when you think about it, the very instruments of destruction (Storm troopers, ISDs, AT-ATs, etc) which the Empire uses to enforce its rule on the galaxy are symbols of imperial might themselves, so there's not much reason to even put symbols on Imperial forces, since they are so immediately and easily recognizable.
Grandmaster Jogurt
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grandmaster Jogurt »

I rather like the idea (and good observation; I never knew it was in the movies at all!). The problem lies in why the only example of a unit patch seen would be for a unit whose very existence should be kept top secret?
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

I'm assuming the TIE Fighter pilots are officers. They have it on their helmets.

AT-AT drivers in Empire have it on their helmets, pretty much negating the idea that it is a Death Star patch.
Metahive wrote:The imperial crest isn't all that elegant, it's actually a rather clunky and awkward symbol. Compare it to other symbols of authoritarian governments, the swastika, the SS runes and the hammer and sickle. They were simple, memorable and easy to reproduce. The imperial "cogwheel" in contrast needs considerable effort to be drawn recognizably and whatever symbolism it contains is rather obscure. Add to that that it is just a slightly altered version of the Galactic Republic's crest and I can see why the Empire uses it only sparingly, it's just a token of continuity with the old regime.
:lol: Yeah, I'm sure the Imperial Drawing Corp complains about how hard it is to reproduce by hand on the BILLIONS of Imperial troops, which is why they don't use it often. :lol:

This is the dumbest reason offered for this.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Somehow, I think Star Wars has mastered the esoteric technology known by the mystic term 'stencils'. Difficulty of reproduction does *not* wash.

The notion that the Empire uses other symbols to represent itself rather than the perhaps overly-derivative insignia holds the most water, IMO.

As far as that goes, I've wondered on occasion if any significance has been attached to it in any way beside "this is the Empire's tag". I know the Rebel logo is supposed to be a phoenix...
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Ritterin Sophia
Sith Acolyte

Post by Ritterin Sophia »

To answer your question the Imperial Crest is based on the Galactic Roundel that was lifted from the Bendu monks, it represents how the Force unites all the Galaxy as one. Which is quite appropriate as Palpatine's ultimate goal was to unite the entire Galaxy under the veil of the dark side.
A Certain Clique, HAB, The Chroniclers
Metahive
Sith Devotee

Post by Metahive »

Havok wrote::lol: Yeah, I'm sure the Imperial Drawing Corp complains about how hard it is to reproduce by hand on the BILLIONS of Imperial troops, which is why they don't use it often. :lol:

This is the dumbest reason offered for this.
I phrased that poorly and apologize. I didn't mean hard to reproduce for the imperial logistics bureau or whatever fictional organization is in charge of producing uniforms in universe, I was mainly expressing my own frustration to replicate that symbol back in my youth when my SW enthusiasm was it its highest but I had yet no access to an electronic template. So yeah, sorry for the sudden veer to out of universe.
General Schatten wrote:To answer your question the Imperial Crest is based on the Galactic Roundel that was lifted from the Bendu monks, it represents how the Force unites all the Galaxy as one. Which is quite appropriate as Palpatine's ultimate goal was to unite the entire Galaxy under the veil of the dark side.
Without someone explaining it I'd argue that this symbolism is lost to people looking at it for the first time (OOU). Considering also that the Force was regarded as an ancient superstition by ABY 0 I'm doubtful that Palpatine intended Joe Q. Public to recognize it as such. All the more reason to use it sparingly.
People at birth are naturally good. Their natures are similar, but their habits make them different from each other.

Saddam’s crime was so bad we literally spent decades looking for our dropped monocles before we could harumph up the gumption to address it

Apollonius
Youngling

Post by Apollonius »

Havok wrote:I'm assuming the TIE Fighter pilots are officers. They have it on their helmets.

AT-AT drivers in Empire have it on their helmets, pretty much negating the idea that it is a Death Star patch.
You're right, I never noticed that.
Damn, there goes my conspiracy theory. :-(
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

I wonder if there is some significance to the OR roundel having 8 spokes and the Empire's having 6. Maybe it's a subtle way of reminding people "Yup, we're based on the old guys with a couple of things removed."
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Eternal_Freedom wrote:I wonder if there is some significance to the OR roundel having 8 spokes and the Empire's having 6. Maybe it's a subtle way of reminding people "Yup, we're based on the old guys with a couple of things removed."
Basically.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Is that in or out-universe though?

I mean, the two designs are clearly related out of universe and are intended for that "we're kinda the same but different" feel, but does that still work as an in-universe explanation?
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
StarSword
Jedi Knight

Post by StarSword »

Eternal_Freedom wrote:Is that in or out-universe though?

I mean, the two designs are clearly related out of universe and are intended for that "we're kinda the same but different" feel, but does that still work as an in-universe explanation?
It works for the Alliance Starbird, which I believe is a variation on the insignia of the Jedi Order (TFU notwithstanding). What's good for the goose is good for the gander.
Star Carrier by Ian Douglas: Analysis and Talkback

The Vortex Empire: I think the real question is obviously how a supervolcano eruption wiping out vast swathes of the country would affect the 2016 election.
Borgholio: The GOP would blame Obama and use the subsequent nuclear winter to debunk global warming.
Patroklos
Sith Devotee

Post by Patroklos »

While this does not in any way mean you do not need an overarching symbol at all, the simply fact that the Empire is the only "nation" of its type in the galaxy period probably removes a lot of the reason to differentiate your soldiers from others.

Sure there were thousands of dominians, kingdoms, corporate states and every other political entity under the son nominally independant to some degree in the galaxy, but all of them were either subject to or integrated into the Empire to some degree. There was no entity in the same category of the Empire to require differentiation.

If you look at the US military most of our uniforms do not have any national identifying symbols on them. At most you will find a service insignia. Where you do find things like American flags or what not are on combat uniforms and combat vehicles, where we are required by international law to have clear national identification. The Empire has no equivalent requirement.
Metahive
Sith Devotee

Post by Metahive »

Eternal_Freedom wrote:I wonder if there is some significance to the OR roundel having 8 spokes and the Empire's having 6. Maybe it's a subtle way of reminding people "Yup, we're based on the old guys with a couple of things removed."
Removing two of the spokes happened in the late phase of the Clone War, it isn't an alteration made specifically for the imperial crest.

Anakin's fighter in ROTS sports this:

The six-spoked crest can be faintly seen to the left of R2-D2

BTW, the Bendu symbol bears a close resemblance to the buddhist dharmachakra, representing the noble 8-fold path to enlightenment. I think it isn't wrong to presume that this is where Lucas or his designers got the inspiration from.

Executor32
Jedi Council Member
Location: In a Georgia courtroom, watching a spectacle unfold

Post by Executor32 »

It could be a Palpatinian variation on the standard roundel, methinks. Palpatine is rather close to Anakin, so if it was Palpatine's personal version of the roundel, Anakin may have had it put on his fighter in place of the standard in order to honor him or something. Seeing as every other appearance in RotS is the eight-spoked version, it's at least possible that it was something personal to Anakin. Changing officially from the eight-spoked standard Republic roundel to a further refinement of his six-spoked version could be Palpatine's way of saying, "I'm the Emperor, bitches, this shit is officially mine now!". Or something like that, anyway.
どうして?お前が夜に自身お触れるから。
Long ago in a distant land, I, Aku, the shape-shifting Master of Darkness, unleashed an unspeakable evil,
but a foolish samurai warrior wielding a magic sword stepped forth to oppose me. Before the final blow
was struck, I tore open a portal in time and flung him into the future, where my evil is law! Now, the fool
seeks to return to the past, and undo the future that is Aku...
-Aku, Master of Masters, Deliverer of Darkness, Shogun of Sorrow
Metahive
Sith Devotee

Post by Metahive »

Interesting theory but unlikely, Obi Wan's fighter sports the same six-spoke roundel.

It could be that the six-spoke roundel was used for Jedi starfighters and Palpatine's annexation of it intended as a sign of his triumph over the order.

OOU of course it might be a simple production error.

Executor32
Jedi Council Member

Post by Executor32 »

Er, no:
どうして?お前が夜に自身お触れるから。
Long ago in a distant land, I, Aku, the shape-shifting Master of Darkness, unleashed an unspeakable evil,
but a foolish samurai warrior wielding a magic sword stepped forth to oppose me. Before the final blow
was struck, I tore open a portal in time and flung him into the future, where my evil is law! Now, the fool
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Blimey. I never noticed those.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
StarSword
Jedi Knight

Post by StarSword »

Looks to me like Obi-wan's fighter has the six-spoked version in Metahive's screengrab, and the eight-spoked in Executor32's.

Yeah, that looks like a texturing fuckup.
Star Carrier by Ian Douglas: Analysis and Talkback

The Vortex Empire: I think the real question is obviously how a supervolcano eruption wiping out vast swathes of the country would affect the 2016 election.
Borgholio: The GOP would blame Obama and use the subsequent nuclear winter to debunk global warming.
Metahive
Sith Devotee

Post by Metahive »

So it's a production error of some kind. Of course, if we go by the rules of canon fundamentalism it has to be explained why the symbol changed from one moment to the other. Mystical force foreshadowing perhaps?

Darth Yoshi
Metroid

Post by Darth Yoshi »

The 6 version was a stick-on decal covering up the older version. Unfortunately the company in charge of producing the decals was lowest bid, and their products are predictably crappy. In the heat of battle, the decal peeled off, revealing behind the original emblem. *nods sagely*
Fragment of the Lord of Nightmares, release thy heavenly retribution. Blade of cold, black nothingness: become my power, become my body. Together, let us walk the path of destruction and smash even the souls of the Gods! RAGNA BLADE!
Lore Monkey | the Pichu-master™
Secularism—since AD 80
Av: Elika; Prince of Persia
Executor32
Jedi Council Member

Post by Executor32 »

Metahive's isn't a screengrab, though, it's from the Revenge of the Sith Activity Center. As far as the actual film goes, Obi-Wan's fighter always bears the eight-spoked standard roundel.
どうして?お前が夜に自身お触れるから。
Metahive
Sith Devotee

Post by Metahive »

Are you sure it's always 8-spoked in the movie? Looks like it's time to break out ye olde ROTS DVDs. I wish I had the blu-rays...