Star Wars: Rebels

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Abacus
Jedi Knight

Re: Star Wars: Rebels

Post by Abacus »

So being a Force user somehow makes you a new race of being?
"Does the walker choose the path, or the path the walker?"
SAMAS
Mecha Fanboy

Post by SAMAS »

He said "political" and "cultural" too, you know.

But enough about that. What about this week's episode?
Not an armored Jigglypuff

"I salute your genetic superiority, now Get off my planet!!" -- Adam Stiener, 1st Somerset Strikers
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Abacus wrote:So being a Force user somehow makes you a new race of being?
Well, Force users are biologically distinct in certain respects from non-Force users, correct? High midiclorian level and all?

Of course, its complicated by the fact that Force users are comprised of many different races themselves.

But then, the whole concept of race is pretty much meaningless anyway.

But then, they still meet all the other criteria listed for Order 66 being a genocide.
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

SAMAS wrote:But enough about that. What about this week's episode?
Not out until Wednesday, at least here in the U.S.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

As far as I know, its not being shown on any channel I get (I'm in Canada). Pisses me off.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Adam Reynolds wrote:
Abacus wrote:I'd be a bit more forgiving and simply say "Wehrmacht," but yeah, a German uniform from WWII is still a German uniform from WWII.
I think he was more going for the Order 66 - Holocaust comparison. Thus the GAR would be the SS.
I'll be honest and say that I had more of a Night of the Long Knives in mind. This is fundamentally because I framed Order 66 as a supreme leader eliminating a politically independent faction, using a far more loyal one.

But apparently the Holocaust works too, which I didn't anticipate. Someone should put a notice in the toy stores about their death squad figures. :P
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
SAMAS
Mecha Fanboy

Post by SAMAS »

Rogue 9 wrote:
I mean "Relics of the Old Republic". We got sidetracked still talking about the previous episode.
Not an armored Jigglypuff

"I salute your genetic superiority, now Get off my planet!!" -- Adam Stiener, 1st Somerset Strikers
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Um-that 'is' this week's episode, and even according to IMDB won't air until the 26th (which it still isn't in the US).
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

SAMAS wrote:
Rogue 9 wrote:
I mean "Relics of the Old Republic". We got sidetracked still talking about the previous episode.
I did post a couple of things about it the night it aired here, but yes, we did get very sidetracked. Since I didn't follow The Clone Wars at all, I don't have anything to add about the clone characters beyond what I said about the size difference in the walkers upthread. Though I suppose it's interesting that a sandstorm completely scrambled everybody's scanners.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Batman wrote:Um-that 'is' this week's episode, and even according to IMDB won't air until the 26th (which it still isn't in the US).
IMDb is so very, very wrong. It aired last Wednesday.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Indeed it did. I even commented on the damned thing.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Abacus
Jedi Knight

Post by Abacus »

Spoiler
Now that we've confirmed the return of the clones, especially Rex, I'm looking forward to seeing what happens if he and Darth Vader meet. Will he break with the rebels and rejoin his old commander, or will he finally break all his old love for Anakin and be killed for it?
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

Abacus wrote:Spoiler
Now that we've confirmed the return of the clones, especially Rex, I'm looking forward to seeing what happens if he and Darth Vader meet. Will he break with the rebels and rejoin his old commander, or will he finally break all his old love for Anakin and be killed for it?
Spoiler
First he'd have to realize that Vader = Anakin. Even if Ahsoka did sense that for sure, she isn't sharing so far.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

Abacus
Jedi Knight

Post by Abacus »

Rogue 9 wrote: Spoiler
First he'd have to realize that Vader = Anakin. Even if Ahsoka did sense that for sure, she isn't sharing so far.
Spoiler
I don't think that Ahsoka knows for sure yet. I think she has a faint idea of what that presence was, but I think that because Vader is so different from Anakin that Ahsoka won't truly understand until much later.

I also think that even if Ahsoka does find out, she won't tell Rex. I think Rex is going to find out on his own, the hardest and most shocking way.
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

Spoiler
So. The additional Inquisitors aren't working together at all. Their bickering ultimately cost them the capture of the rebels. I have to wonder how that will play out as the season unfolds.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

About the latest episode: Spoiler
I wish the latest episode's climax would have been a bit more bombastic. Shooting the floor to cause smoke and flash to distract the Inquisitors would have been nice. Maybe use explosives to do the same. The Inquisitors going "oh no!" or something at being surprised would have helped, as well as the two verbally bickering to show why they didn't notice the changed behavior of their prisoner or sense the the lifeform on the ceiling. It was a bit too easy as it is. But not too bad.
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Post by Adam Reynolds »

Rogue 9 wrote:Spoiler
So. The additional Inquisitors aren't working together at all. Their bickering ultimately cost them the capture of the rebels. I have to wonder how that will play out as the season unfolds.
Spoiler
Given the reason The Rule of Two was developed, that isn't surprising. The Dark Side doesn't easily lead to teamwork among those at the same power level. It makes one wonder why the Empire would deploy them in this fashion.
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

They are inferior initiates that will never rise very high and have limited training, to make them useful agents and no more. They have a competitive relationship precisely to keep them from uniting against their master. This was supposedly a problem for the old Sith in the old cannon(s), which is also why the Rule of Two became established.

None of them can hold a candle to Vader just in terms of knowledge of the Dark Side and that's deliberate. Their lightsabers are evidence of this to a lesser degree: they are the same design, except for a few personal touches. They have similar dress too and perhaps not accidentally, to emulate their superiors. It would also explain how Kanan was able to defeat one (their boss none the less) once he became determined enough.
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Adam Reynolds wrote:
Rogue 9 wrote:Spoiler
Spoiler
Given the reason The Rule of Two was developed, that isn't surprising. The Dark Side doesn't easily lead to teamwork among those at the same power level. It makes one wonder why the Empire would deploy them in this fashion.
Spoiler
Only one of them was on the Star Destroyer. I don't think there were deployed together.
Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Post by Adam Reynolds »

Zixinus wrote:They are inferior initiates that will never rise very high and have limited training, to make them useful agents and no more. They have a competitive relationship precisely to keep them from uniting against their master. This was supposedly a problem for the old Sith in the old cannon(s), which is also why the Rule of Two became established.

None of them can hold a candle to Vader just in terms of knowledge of the Dark Side and that's deliberate. Their lightsabers are evidence of this to a lesser degree: they are the same design, except for a few personal touches. They have similar dress too and perhaps not accidentally, to emulate their superiors. It would also explain how Kanan was able to defeat one (their boss none the less) once he became determined enough.
I agree with everything you have said here. It indeed makes a great deal of sense for Dark Side initiatives to be played against each other. It prevents the loyalty questions that came into play for Count Dooku and Ventress, ultimately leading to Dooku leaving her for dead and creating a new enemy.

My point was that under this system, it makes more sense for them to operate mostly independently as they won't get in each others way. If anyone is strong enough to take one of them down, then that should be a problem for Darth Vader, not multiple Inquisitors.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Yeah from what I gather the Inquisitors seem to full a role similar to what Mara Jade or Jerec's band of dark jedi did, not powerful to take on Vader individually and with too much interpersonal conflicts to unite but useful to deal with matters Palpatine or Vader won't or can't deal personally like chasing down padawans (and possibly jedi) who survived Order 66.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Well the Inquisitors are straight out of the EU.

Jerec in fact was the rank below Grand Inquisitor, though it's said that the rank of High Inquisitor was far too low for his actual power level (as a former Jedi Master, he was probably the strongest), but that Palpatine didn't trust him enough to make him Grand Inquisitor.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

My point was that under this system, it makes more sense for them to operate mostly independently as they won't get in each others way. If anyone is strong enough to take one of them down, then that should be a problem for Darth Vader, not multiple Inquisitors.
That's probably true. I think that the reason two got involved at all here is because their boss is dead and there is disorganization going on among the Inquisitors to fill ranks. A loss of certainty who is who on the rank ladder.
So you have an Inquisitors braking rules (you aren't supposed to be here) and common sense (I'm going alone) to get Kanan and Asoka. They want to fill that place and prove themselves worthy of that place.

I always got the impression that Sith create hierarchies that rely very heavily on dominance, with the ruling Sith Master being the most dominating thing in the system. With their obsession of power and strength, it kind of gets into the way of otherwise connecting with people. Which leads to ambition to get to the top of the system, which creates a problem that can be only stabilized by cancelling ambitions and power distribution out.
Credo!
Abacus
Jedi Knight

Post by Abacus »

Zixinus wrote: I always got the impression that Sith create hierarchies that rely very heavily on dominance, with the ruling Sith Master being the most dominating thing in the system. With their obsession of power and strength, it kind of gets into the way of otherwise connecting with people. Which leads to ambition to get to the top of the system, which creates a problem that can be only stabilized by cancelling ambitions and power distribution out.
That was Darth Krayt's system.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

You do have to wonder how the debriefing is going to go afterwards for the two Inquisitors.

"No, I ordered the star destroyer to stay put, because I had things well in hand all on my own."
"But the Jedi and the rebels escaped."
"Yes, well, it was the other Inquisitor's fault, she forced me to keep them alive."

Meanwhile...

"I had them trapped, and in chains, and was about to use them as bait, when that lumbering idiot comes in and ruins everything."
"And you thought going alone was a good idea?"
"I had already disabled two of them when he brought attention to us. It would have worked if he wasn't there."

Etc. Etc.

Though, if they don't currently have a chief inquisitor, maybe they have to report directly to Vader about this.