Response to RedLetterMedia's TPM Review (108 Page PDF)

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

AdmBone2Pick
Redshirt

Re: Response to RedLetterMedia's TPM Review (108 Page PDF)

Post by AdmBone2Pick »

Emersonlakeandbalmer, I agree with pretty much all of what you wrote. :)
Have you ever seen Apollo 13? They keep referring to the Johnson Space Center which -GASP!- is not the center of space.
Come on. This is weak. A center is "A place where a particular activity or service is concentrated. Example 'a medical center'." (dictionary.com)
That owes more to trying to keep the movie PG.
No it doesn't. There are plenty of PG movies with believable villains. Heck there are plenty of G rated movies with believable villains - look at Disney and Pixar.
It's not that important whether you actually see the fiendish acts, as long as you're capable of thinking your way out of a wet paper bag.
Show, not tell, is a fundamental rule of storytelling especially cinematic storytelling. The prequels fail at this again and again. The Trade Federation takeover of Naboo is supposedly dastardly, but we never see any human consequences. Anakin is supposedly a slave but it is dealt with in one line and then never has consequences. Grievous is supposed to be a heartless villain but does NOTHING in ROTS other than fight the Jedi when they come to him.

In particular, Obi-Wan and Anakin are supposed to have all kinds of adventures together, but this all happens offscreen and is dismissed in one sentence in an elevator at the start of AOTC.
AdmBone2Pick
Redshirt

Post by AdmBone2Pick »

Maul's actions in TPM are not that far off from Vader's in ANH.
Maul says around 50 words in the whole movie. Vader is a REAL antagonist. He has a motivation (recovering the Death Star plans), he has menace (he blows up Alderaan, interrogates Leia, kills Obi-Wan, and nearly wins the Battle of Yavin), and he has a personality (calm, relentless, seemingly more machine than man) that is developed in multiple dialogue scenes.

Maul is a ZERO. He is nothing more or less than a stunt double for some Jedis to fight.
Attacking the heroes with no warning or provocation isn't villainous?
This deserves a separate reply. Here is something I wrote about this topic:

In the original trilogy, characters are often forced into a fight. The Rebels are forced into attacking the Death Star because it discovered their base. Luke is forced to duel Vader at Cloud City when he falls into his trap. Before a fight, the story makes sure we understand what's at stake. In ANH Vader destroys Alderaan, Obi-Wan, etc.; in ESB he captures Han and Leia.

In the prequels, the good guys go looking for a fight. Obi-Wan does this to Dooku ("Spring the trap") and to Grievous ("Hello there"). He even hunts down Vader on Mustafar! The tables are turned so hard that there are two battles in the prequels where the bad guy is just trying to escape (Yoda vs. Dooku and Anakin/Obi vs Grievous).

As far as setting the stakes, Grievous in particular never does a single thing that menaces the Jedi, other than fighting them when they attack him. Grievous is on the defensive in both his fights - and he tries to escape from both. So he is not, in any way, a menacing character. Having a menacing accent is not a substitute for actual menace. Any potential menace Dooku or Grievous might possess is cancelled out by the way Obi-Wan literally chases them down.

The fight with Darth Maul is the only really tense battle in these movies. The ending is especially well done. Yet even in the Maul duel, it's not like Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon fall into his trap. They meet each other in a hallway. It doesn't feel like the Jedi HAVE to fight him, and there is no particular reason to fight in that big room. And the tensest part of the situation (Obi-Wan trapped so Qui-Gon has to fight alone) was an accident and not Maul deliberately doing it.

However, at least Qui-Gon didn't hunt down Darth Maul, surprise him when he was sipping his afternoon tea, and go "Hey you're evil, at least according to the opening crawl, so let's fight to the death."
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

AdmBone2Pick wrote:

In the original trilogy, characters are often forced into a fight. The Rebels are forced into attacking the Death Star because it discovered their base.
Except they AREN'T forced into attacking it. Leia makes the decision to lure the Death Star to the rebel base. She knows the Millenium Falcon is being tracked. Please watch the movie.
Luke is forced to duel Vader at Cloud City when he falls into his trap. Before a fight, the story makes sure we understand what's at stake.
Luke is NOT forced to fight Vader on Cloud City. He CHOOSES to confront Vader. He is goaded into it by something he is not 100% sure is happening and against the advice of Yoda. And act for which he later apologizes for. Please watch the movies.
In ANH Vader destroys Alderaan,
Tarkin destroys Alderaan. It is his idea and he carries it out. Please watch the movies.
Obi-Wan
Something which Obi-Wan ALLOWED to happen.
in ESB he captures Han and Leia.
Something he needed Boba Fett to make happen, and something which he had, on his own, been unable to accomplish.
In the prequels, the good guys go looking for a fight. Obi-Wan does this to Dooku ("Spring the trap") and to Grievous ("Hello there"). He even hunts down Vader on Mustafar! The tables are turned so hard that there are two battles in the prequels where the bad guy is just trying to escape (Yoda vs. Dooku and Anakin/Obi vs Grievous).
I guess the context of the situations seems to escape you. In the PT, the good guys are in the position of power trying to fend off the rebellion. In the OT the bad guys are in the position of power trying to fend off the rebellion. The situations necessitates the actions.
As far as setting the stakes, Grievous in particular never does a single thing that menaces the Jedi, other than fighting them when they attack him. Grievous is on the defensive in both his fights - and he tries to escape from both. So he is not, in any way, a menacing character. Having a menacing accent is not a substitute for actual menace. Any potential menace Dooku or Grievous might possess is cancelled out by the way Obi-Wan literally chases them down.
You mean aside from leading the largest fleet seen in the movies, which is attacking the capital planet of the Republic? I hear the Emperor does all sorts of stuff in the OT that is menacing, attacking the heroes all the time and isn't just a guy with a menacing voice until the hero Luke forces a confrontation with him in the last half of the third movie. Oops. :lol:
The fight with Darth Maul is the only really tense battle in these movies. The ending is especially well done. Yet even in the Maul duel, it's not like Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon fall into his trap. They meet each other in a hallway. It doesn't feel like the Jedi HAVE to fight him, and there is no particular reason to fight in that big room. And the tensest part of the situation (Obi-Wan trapped so Qui-Gon has to fight alone) was an accident and not Maul deliberately doing it.
My gawd... Both times the Jedi face Maul, the first time with just Qui-Gon on Tattooine, and on Naboo, they HAVE to fight him, because HE FORCES the confrontations. What? Is Maul just going to go away if Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon keep their lightsabers on their belts and walk away?

And as a side, care to prove that fighting in that area wasn't Maul's intention? You can certainly make the argument that he most certainly did lead the Jedi just to that very area in order to divide them. If you make a claim you need to back it up.
However, at least Qui-Gon didn't hunt down Darth Maul, surprise him when he was sipping his afternoon tea, and go "Hey you're evil, at least according to the opening crawl, so let's fight to the death."
I mean, honestly, this has got to be some of the dumbest reasoning as to why the PT sucks. "The good guys go after the bad guys. What horrible story telling." :lol: I mean... Really? Fucking really? :lol: :lol:
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
TOSDOC
Padawan Learner
Location: Rotating between Redshirt Hospital and the Stormtrooper School of Marksmanship.

Post by TOSDOC »

I guess the context of the situations seems to escape you. In the PT, the good guys are in the position of power trying to fend off the rebellion. In the OT the bad guys are in the position of power trying to fend off the rebellion. The situations necessitates the actions.
I spotted this point right away--I think better examples in the OT for being forced to fight are that the Rebels aboard the blockade runner are forced to either engage or surrender to the Imperials after being overtaken, and then are forced to flee Hoth or surrender upon being discovered by the Imperial fleet. But it really is all about whoever is in the better position to take the offensive and bring the fight to the enemy, whether its the good guys or the bad guys. They've all a war to win.

I get the impression that AdmBone2Pick is looking for more villianous acts onscreen from the PT Sith, and I understand him. Vader gets the best example of early villainy when he strangles someone in his second scene 10 minutes into ANH. We didn't see Maul, Dooku, Sidious, or Grievous doing anything like this, especially so early. That certainly cemented his status for me off the bat in 1977.
"In the long run, however, there can be no excuse for any individual not knowing what it is possible for him to know. Why shouldn't he?" --Elliot Grosvenor, Voyage of the Space Beagle
AdmBone2Pick
Redshirt

Post by AdmBone2Pick »

Leia makes the decision to lure the Death Star to the rebel base.
Not true. She says the Empire let them go in order to track them ("It's the only explanation for the ease of our escape"). In any case it's irrelevant to the point of who is on the defensive. The way the Battle of Yavin sequence is constructed is all about tension. It's a race against time, the Rebels have to make it to the Death Star's weak spot before the Death Star can get in range of the Rebel base. By intercutting shots of Leia and C3PO at the Rebel base, the dogfight over the Death Star, Tarkin on board, and the computer display showing the Death Star coming in range, Lucas builds up the tension and the drama.

What is at stake when Grievous duels Obi-Wan on that weird planet with the canyons? Nothing really. Is the tension increased in any way by intercutting this duel with scenes of Anakin and Palpatine on Coruscant? No.

I mean if Obi-Wan had just found out evidence that Palpatine was behind it all, and he was trying to kill Grievous so he could get to his ship and warn the Jedi back on Coruscant, now you have a tense sequence where something's at stake in the story.

Instead we got a guy riding a lizard dueling a robot in a hamster wheel. A colorful mishmash of CGI action that completely fails to engage the audience in any way comparable to the endings of A New Hope or Empire Strikes Back.
Yeah, that's an explanation for why Obi-Wan chases down the villains three separate times in ROTS, but it's not an excuse for the way that renders these scenes void of tension or menace.
And as a side, care to prove that fighting in that area wasn't Maul's intention? You can certainly make the argument that he most certainly did lead the Jedi just to that very area in order to divide them. If you make a claim you need to back it up.
You can make any argument you like. You can claim that having the battle happen there and having Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon split up was all part of Darth Maul's master plan. However, this is IN NO WAY obvious within the movie.

In fact, don't you remember that there's a shot where Maul looks at the laser wall and then taps his lightsaber against it, testing it? This shot pretty much establishes that Maul is caught as flatfooted by the situation as the Jedi are.

"Watch the movie" lol http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43kqI06d_t8&t=7m57s
DonZabu
Redshirt

Post by DonZabu »

I read through this, and the guy does raise some valid points.

Ultimately, though, I think it comes down to this: even if, as this essay says, Mike Stoklasa doesn't know what he's talking about, the fact remains that almost nobody liked The Phantom Menace, and even the ones who did will admit that it's nowhere near as good as the original movies.

So if the aspects of the movie that Stoklasa highlighted (basically everything about the movie) weren't the reason the movie failed, what was?
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

How, pray tell, did the 20th highest grossing movie of Hollywood history fail? How comes it made an incredible amount of money at the box office when 'almost nobody' liked it? Movies that 'almost nobody' likes tend to, you know, spectacularly fail at the box office. Didn't happen with the PT.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

AdmBone2Pick wrote:
Leia makes the decision to lure the Death Star to the rebel base.
Not true. She says the Empire let them go in order to track them ("It's the only explanation for the ease of our escape").
Not true? You mean that Leia didn't know they were being tracked and decided to head to the rebel base anyway, luring Tarkin and the Death Star into a confrontation with the rebels on their own terms? OK. :lol:
In any case it's irrelevant to the point of who is on the defensive.
Oh so now it is irrelevant? Then why did you bring it up? Why were you making points about it. Now that I explained the dynamic to you as to why it was this way, it is 'irrelevant'. :lol:
The way the Battle of Yavin sequence is constructed is all about tension. It's a race against time, the Rebels have to make it to the Death Star's weak spot before the Death Star can get in range of the Rebel base. By intercutting shots of Leia and C3PO at the Rebel base, the dogfight over the Death Star, Tarkin on board, and the computer display showing the Death Star coming in range, Lucas builds up the tension and the drama.
Oh you mean like the final battle in the TPM. Gotchya.
What is at stake when Grievous duels Obi-Wan on that weird planet with the canyons? Nothing really. Is the tension increased in any way by intercutting this duel with scenes of Anakin and Palpatine on Coruscant? No.
What is at stake? You mean aside from defeat of the Separatists and victory for the Republic? :lol: I mean, how many fucking times does this shit need to be explained to you people. You always so conveniently gloss over the actual facts to make these points you think hold so much water.
I mean if Obi-Wan had just found out evidence that Palpatine was behind it all, and he was trying to kill Grievous so he could get to his ship and warn the Jedi back on Coruscant, now you have a tense sequence where something's at stake in the story.
Aside from victory for the Republic, like I already pointed out.
Instead we got a guy riding a lizard dueling a robot in a hamster wheel. A colorful mishmash of CGI action that completely fails to engage the audience in any way comparable to the endings of A New Hope or Empire Strikes Back.
Ahhh, more completely subjective opinion with out a shred of proof to back it up.
Yeah, that's an explanation for why Obi-Wan chases down the villains three separate times in ROTS, but it's not an excuse for the way that renders these scenes void of tension or menace.
You know why there is no tension numbnuts? Because we already KNOW what is going to happen. People have had the end of this particular story practically memorized for 20 years. We know who lives and dies in this story, who wins the civil war, who wins the lightsaber duels. Is there a person watching any of the PT movies that doesn't know that Obi-Wan will live through every single conflict? Anakin? Yoda? Palpatine? Is there anyone that doesn't know that all the Jedi will be killed? The order in which the movies were created destroys most of the tension (not your asinine conclusions) that would be there had they been actually produced in the proper order. The movie production is fine.
You can make any argument you like. You can claim that having the battle happen there and having Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon split up was all part of Darth Maul's master plan. However, this is IN NO WAY obvious within the movie.

In fact, don't you remember that there's a shot where Maul looks at the laser wall and then taps his lightsaber against it, testing it? This shot pretty much establishes that Maul is caught as flatfooted by the situation as the Jedi are.

"Watch the movie" lol http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43kqI06d_t8&t=7m57s
All that shot establishes is that this is the first time Maul has seen the plasma shields first hand and has no idea how a lightsaber reacts to it. By your logic, Qui-Gon not reacting to the energy wall and not testing his lightsaber against it means he knew all about it. As I said, the argument can be made that Maul lead the fight, purposely backtracking, to where the final duel was fought.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
DonZabu
Redshirt

Post by DonZabu »

Batman wrote:How, pray tell, did the 20th highest grossing movie of Hollywood history fail? How comes it made an incredible amount of money at the box office when 'almost nobody' liked it? Movies that 'almost nobody' likes tend to, you know, spectacularly fail at the box office. Didn't happen with the PT.
Well, when it's the first new Star Wars movie to come out in 16 years, you sort of expect it to make money no matter what the plot or character quality is, especially on the opening weekend when word-of-mouth hasn't spread.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

DonZabu wrote:I read through this, and the guy does raise some valid points.

Ultimately, though, I think it comes down to this: even if, as this essay says, Mike Stoklasa doesn't know what he's talking about, the fact remains that almost nobody liked The Phantom Menace, and even the ones who did will admit that it's nowhere near as good as the original movies.

So if the aspects of the movie that Stoklasa highlighted (basically everything about the movie) weren't the reason the movie failed, what was?
How does 'almost nobody' like The Phantom Menace? This is still one of the most ridiculous things anyone has said. IIRC, it is one of the best selling DVDs of all time, it is still the 19th highest grossing film of all time, it is constantly reshown on cable (something which would not be happening if no one liked it as you claimed as the ratings would be utter garbage), yet 'nobody liked' it?

How is the 20th(7th if not adjusting for inflation) grossing movie of all time (14th worldwide, eclipsing even the original Star Wars) a failure. That isn't just money, that is people going to see it, and resee it. How is it a failure if people (based on DVD sales and television and cable ratings) keep fucking watching it consistently 13 years later?

:roll:
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Darth Tedious
Jedi Master

Post by Darth Tedious »

AdmBone2Pick wrote:Instead we got a guy riding a lizard dueling a robot in a hamster wheel. A colorful mishmash of CGI action that completely fails to engage the audience in any way comparable to the endings of A New Hope or Empire Strikes Back.
So you're complaining that something that happened in the middle of one movie wasn't as tense as the ending of another? Maybe if you were comparing the end of RotS to the end of ANH or ESB you might have a point- but guess what? The end of RotS was something we all knew anyway, becuase we'd seen the OT.
DonZabu wrote:So if the aspects of the movie that Stoklasa highlighted (basically everything about the movie) weren't the reason the movie failed, what was?
Maybe you should read through this thread before you go making idiotic statements that were refuted pages ago.
"Darth Tedious just showed why women can go anywhere they want because they are, in effect, mobile kitchens." - RazorOutlaw

"That could never happen because super computers." - Stark

"Don't go there girl! Talk to the VTOL cause the glass canopy ain't listening!" - Shroomy
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

DonZabu wrote:
Batman wrote:How, pray tell, did the 20th highest grossing movie of Hollywood history fail? How comes it made an incredible amount of money at the box office when 'almost nobody' liked it? Movies that 'almost nobody' likes tend to, you know, spectacularly fail at the box office. Didn't happen with the PT.
Well, when it's the first new Star Wars movie to come out in 16 years, you sort of expect it to make money no matter what the plot or character quality is, especially on the opening weekend when word-of-mouth hasn't spread.
Except it didn't. On the opening weekend, it made somewhat more than half its production cost, and guess what? People kept going to see it to the point where it grossed more than 430 million in the US alone. Guess word of mouth was busy with something else.
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
DonZabu
Redshirt

Post by DonZabu »

Man, you guys are playing hardball.
Jim Raynor
Sith Devotee

Post by Jim Raynor »

Man, I almost forgot about this thread after seeing the same guy vaguely refer to Stoklasa's "main point" for the twentieth time. :)

I see we have another guy spreading the revisionist history that nobody liked the prequels. Besides the box office, TPM succeeded in audience polls as well. I'll have to check Anticipation again (parts of the book are previewed on Amazon and Google Books for anyone who's curious), but I believe a Variety poll found that 94% of the audience liked the movie. Other, online polls, with tens of thousands of voters, also rated the movie well.

I've said it before: Online fanboys tend to have an inflated opinion of their own importance. They can't separate their opinion, or the opinion of the small group that they talk to, from the opinions of everyone else.

I hated the Pirates of the Caribbean sequels. I thought that At World's End was a convoluted mess with pointless backstabbing piled on top of pointless backstabbing. I have absolutely no interest in seeing the new movie coming out this summer. But I'm honest enough with myself to admit that my opinions don't reflect the majority, who not only voted with their money but also gave At World's End an A- Cinemascore grade. And I won't dramatically whine and exaggerate about how the Pirates sequels are the worst movies ever.
"They're not triangular, but they are more or less blade-shaped"- Thrawn McEwok on the shape of Bakura destroyers

"Lovely. It's known as impugning character regarding statement of professional qualifications' in the legal world"- Karen Traviss, crying libel because I said that no soldier she interviewed would claim that he can take on billion-to-one odds

"I've already laid out rules for this thread that we're not going to make these evidential demands"- Dark Moose on supporting your claims
Jim Raynor
Sith Devotee

Post by Jim Raynor »

AdmBone2Pick wrote:

In the original trilogy, characters are often forced into a fight. The Rebels are forced into attacking the Death Star because it discovered their base. Luke is forced to duel Vader at Cloud City when he falls into his trap. Before a fight, the story makes sure we understand what's at stake. In ANH Vader destroys Alderaan, Obi-Wan, etc.; in ESB he captures Han and Leia.

Funny, I thought that murdering children in ROTS would be enough to paint Anakin/Vader as a villain...

And whether or not the heroes go on the attack is irrelevant. How can you comprehend cop movies with that attitude? As someone else brought up, the Jedi are on the side of the government in the prequels. This says nothing about whether the villains threatened them or committed villainous acts, which the prequel villains clearly did. I didn't think it was particularly hard to figure out that Grievous was the villain, based on the fact that he was leading the enemy army.
The fight with Darth Maul is the only really tense battle in these movies. The ending is especially well done. Yet even in the Maul duel, it's not like Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon fall into his trap. They meet each other in a hallway. It doesn't feel like the Jedi HAVE to fight him, and there is no particular reason to fight in that big room.
The Jedi are on a mission to infiltrate the enemy stronghold, with implicit time limits on every action based on the fact that enemy reinforcements can come in and wipe out their small force. Maul comes and directly challenges them. The Jedi don't "have" to fight him? Huh?
"They're not triangular, but they are more or less blade-shaped"- Thrawn McEwok on the shape of Bakura destroyers

"Lovely. It's known as impugning character regarding statement of professional qualifications' in the legal world"- Karen Traviss, crying libel because I said that no soldier she interviewed would claim that he can take on billion-to-one odds

"I've already laid out rules for this thread that we're not going to make these evidential demands"- Dark Moose on supporting your claims
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

He does have something of a point, there. The reason Ben and Qui-Gon had to fight Maul in the room with the customary kilometre deep pit was-what, exactly?
Ignoring him for the time being and reengaging if and when he actually bothered to interfere would have been far more prudent. For all we know, Darth Maul did jack all other than keeping those two busy.
Jim Raynor
Sith Devotee

Post by Jim Raynor »

AdmBone2Pick wrote:Raynor then gives us a list of character attributes for Q-G. For example: he calls him compassionate for taking in Jar-Jar. He calls him trusting for allowing Anakin to race. And he calls him wise for accepting Obi-Wan's apology.

Q-G isn't compassionate, trusting or wise. At least, those aren't his defining character attributes. The underlying commonality in all these situations is Q-G's passivity as a character.
Qui-Gon is the strong but silent father figure, who knows how to assert himself without acting up like a wannabe badass. Some of his earliest lines are him criticizing Obi-Wan's narrow understanding of the Force, and implicitly questioning the teachings of Yoda as well. He clearly goes over Obi-Wan in the Gungan City, when Obi-Wan stated his desire to just leave Jar Jar to his fate. He didn't put up with Padme's crap whenever she repeated that "The Queen would not approve" line. In fact, his words and actions clearly expressed that he didn't care what the Queen would think. The movie also practically beats the audience over their heads with the fact that Qui-Gon has not, and will not yield to the Jedi Council's pressure for him to conform.
Q-G does not seem to have strong motivations, passions or goals.
Refusing to cave in on the issue of training Anakin isn't a strong motivation or goal?
This is why people call him calm or stoic. He does a lot of talking and advising, and comparatively little doing.
He kicks ass all across Naboo, tricks Watto into freeing Anakin, and goes back to fight on Naboo again.
He is a mentor figure, like ANH Obi-Wan. His death scene is a clear parallel to the death of Obi-Wan (the mentor dies while the student is forced to helplessly watch).
Old Obi-Wan was not introduced at the very beginning of the movie, did not receive a majority of the screen time, and did not die near the very end.
A mentor is a supporting character by definition.
Nice made up definition.
Who is Q-G a mentor to? Well, no one really, because neither Obi-Wan nor Anakin can qualify as the protagonist hero of the film.
Make up your mind. First Qui-Gon is a mentor figure, then he's no one's mentor?
The movie clearly INTENDS for Anakin to be the protagonist, because his is the character that participates in the most action scenes, and grows the most during the film (from slave to padawan). However because Lucas made Anakin a preteen, he can only get involved in the action of the movie through extraordinarily contrived situations. And because the script focuses on the relationship between Q-G and Anakin, Obi-Wan becomes a third wheel. Obi-Wan receives almost no characterization in TPM, and would practically be a cipher of a character to anyone who didn't know the original trilogy.
Obi-Wan says a few wise mentor-like things in ANH and handles himself in a couple fights, before dying. Then he's a ghost who shows up for a couple minutes in the following movies. I think people have a distorted view of the originals once again.

I already stated my opinion that Obi-Wan was very underused in TPM. Very little screen time. However, almost all of his lines were used to characterize him. He's a conservative, by the book guy, who's mission focused and not that compassionate for people whom he happens to come across. NONE of this is shown in the original trilogy.
RLM is right when he says “If you ask me, Qui-Gon Jinn and Obi-Wan Kenobi should have been combined into one character, called Obi-Wan Kenobi." As it exists on screen, TPM is an awkward mess, with neither of the three male leads qualifying as a hero or protagonist.
Stoklasa's alternate universe fanfic was horrible, and stripped the movie series of any depth, meaning, or nuance. It basically boiled down to Obi-Wan being such an idiot that he can't operate without Qui-Gon's advice, leading to him giving Anakin crappy training. In Stoklasa's suggestions, Anakin doesn't fall because of his inability to release his emotional baggage, the lack of compassion from the Jedi Order, or the conflicts stemming from Obi-Wan's well-intentioned but stern and uncompromising mentoring. No, Anakin fails because he and Obi-Wan are stupid. :roll:

I don't remember any instance in the RLM review where Stoklasa demonstrated a basic awareness of the Star Wars saga's main themes.

These are the kinds of big-picture criticisms that RLM lobs at the prequels.
Raynor doesn't have an answer.
Uh, I kind of answered it when I explained how shallow Stoklasa's understanding of Qui-Gon (and his thematic role) was.
Later on RLM makes two other big-picture criticisms. First RLM says that the OT lightsaber fights are about the internal emotional state of the characters, while the PT duels lack any emotional dimension. Raynor lets this point slide.
First of all, no I didn't let it completely slide. I explained how bogus his evaluation of Old Obi-Wan vs. Vader was. It was two guys calmly and mechanically dueling over things that they had 20 years to get over.

And on hindsight, I gave Stoklasa too much credit in my response. As someone else brought up a couple dozen pages ago in this thread, Luke hardly had any emotional or thematic purpose in going to fight Vader on Cloud City. Luke showed up to kick ass and save his friends. That was basically it.

Having Luke scream after seeing Obi-Wan's sacrifice (then get over his mourning a couple minutes later while he smiles and has fun blowing away TIE Fighters like he's in a big video game) is hardly the big emotional deal that Stoklasa talked it up to be. Vader's "I am your father" revelation doesn't change how the fight actually went, before. Don't watch the originals with rose tinted glasses and talk things up beyond how they actually went.
Secondly RLM says that the ending of the film is an emotional mess that whiplashes around with no clear tone. Again the "rebuttal" does not rebut this.
Cut the crap already. Stoklasa didn't just say that the end of the film (which I had no problem with in the theater, and whether they worked or not is opinion anyway) was disjointed. He called the ending of ANH, in which the entire ensemble cast steps aside, sits around, or disappears, "perfect" and used that as the standard by which to bash TPM. Which I defended by stating that TPM gave everyone in the ensemble something to do.

I also pointed out the complete distortion and smear tactics that Stoklasa resorted to, when selectively displaying (and talking over) behind-the-scenes clips of Lucas and his employees trying to edit the movie.
Raynor seems to think it's much more important to address the plot-hole parts of RLM's review.
No, I made a comprehensive response to nearly every single thing that Stoklasa said in the course of his 70 minute review. Too bad if the vast majority of those 70 minutes were devoted to senseless nitpicking that only displayed his ignorance.
1. If you fix plot holes by constantly pretending that the characters mean something other than what they say (as you do with the Boss Nass dialogue on pages 49-51) then you fail.
Take your own advice, because I have already seen you distort and make things up numerous times in this post of yours.

And that cherry picking of the Boss Nass "planet core" line is really amusing. The movie didn't treat it like the actual planet core, at all, but that's neither here nor there. The vast majority of the time I didn't even have to defend unclear dialogue like that, because Stoklasa was the one making things up, acting stupid, and possibly even misportraying things on purpose.
It's the same with characterization: if the audience doesn't pick up on what you say Q-G's character is, then the movie has characterization issues even if you are exactly right about what Lucas intended.
If someone, like a certain fanboy reviewer, actually sums up Qui-Gon with the single word of "stern," then that person's opinions don't deserve to be respected.
2. Many many people have made hay of the plot holes in the Star Wars movies.
And who are these "many many people?" Because in my experience, most of the people whining endlessly about the supposed "plot holes" are just being unbelievably dense. Like Stoklasa.
RLM's video reviews became hugely popular because he made big-picture criticisms that people hadn't thought of. In particular he showed that these were the REAL problems with the prequels, and not Jar-Jar, or R2D2's rockets, etc (the TPM review spends less than 5 minutes total on Jar-Jar, whereas your average internet whiner will list Jar Jar as reason #1 that TPM sucked).
Enough of this "big picture" or "main point" excuse already. You don't get to praise Stoklasa for spending "less than 5 minutes" on Jar Jar as if he wasn't nitpicking little things, when the vast majority of his 70 minute review was nothing but stupid nitpicks. Nitpicks about the practical usefulness of a child's gift to his mother, how the Royal Starship wasn't shot by lasers while escaping the blockade (when in fact it was shot multiple times according to the SAME exact footage that Stoklasa used), or Stoklasa's inability to differentiate a hologram from a technical read out. Yeah, so focused on the big picture of story telling there.
Raynor doesn't seem to have a convincing answer to what RLM said in the TPM review
Maybe to someone who glosses over every single stupid nitpick in the RLM review, pretending that they don't exist.
so I doubt he would have an answer to, for example, the way the ROTS review criticizes the lifeless blocking and editing of the prequels.
I haven't seen his ROTS review. Don't know if I will bother seeing it. Writing up my response to TPM review took long enough, and it's about half the length of his ungodly long 2-hour ROTS review. But judging from the few parts quoted from it that I have seen, it's more of the same stupid nitpicking and ignorance of the movie's characters and themes. Like not understanding why Anakin would want to save Clone pilots. :roll: I've also written up a response to the first part of his AOTC review, which looked like the same exact garbage that I saw in TPM review.

And I shouldn't have to go through all of this guy's stuff, after already seeing so much crap from him. I've already done my part to expose how overrated he is. People who don't want to just fall in line with his fanboy sheep now have something to point to, if they don't agree that RLM is the last word on the prequels.

Jim Raynor
Sith Devotee

Post by Jim Raynor »

Batman wrote:He does have something of a point, there. The reason Ben and Qui-Gon had to fight Maul in the room with the customary kilometre deep pit was-what, exactly?
The fanciful setting of the fight has absolutely nothing to do with the necessity of the fight. I don't know how this idea even seems logical to people. What was the "purpose" of having Luke and Vader fight in the kilometers-deep pit of Cloud City?
Ignoring him for the time being and reengaging if and when he actually bothered to interfere would have been far more prudent. For all we know, Darth Maul did jack all other than keeping those two busy.
Maul showed up directly in front of the heroes, blocking their path and forcing Padme to take her team around "the long way." It was clear from the movie that Maul intended to trap the heroes in the hangar, with a team of Droidekas rolling around from the other side. How exactly are you supposed to ignore him? That idea doesn't even make sense.

Jim Raynor
Sith Devotee

Post by Jim Raynor »

AdmBone2Pick wrote:What is at stake when Grievous duels Obi-Wan on that weird planet with the canyons? Nothing really.
The personal safety of one of the main heroes? The opportunity to force an early end to the war by killing the opposing leader?

And what is the purpose of Luke's encounter with the Wampa? The fight on Jabba's sail barge? How did those tie in all that much to the main plots of those movies? Don't compare a climatic battle like the Battle of Yavin to a mid-movie fight.
Maul didn't want to stand and fight the one-on-two, and CLEARLY kept giving ground as he took them into that pit. It's the same tactics Obi-Wan used on Mustafar. Better to keep moving and stay alive rather than stay in an unfavorable situation. And I don't see how it matters either way if that was his master plan or not.

Agent Sorchus
Jedi Master

Post by Agent Sorchus »

Jim Raynor wrote:
Batman wrote:Ignoring him for the time being and reengaging if and when he actually bothered to interfere would have been far more prudent. For all we know, Darth Maul did jack all other than keeping those two busy.
Maul showed up directly in front of the heroes, blocking their path and forcing Padme to take her team around "the long way." It was clear from the movie that Maul intended to trap the heroes in the hangar, with a team of Droidekas rolling around from the other side. How exactly are you supposed to ignore him? That idea doesn't even make sense.
Why has this point even been made? TPM tells us explicitly that the whole reason that Qui-Gon and Obiwan are only there to fight Maul. The Jedi (counsel mostly) are not there to fight the war for the people of Naboo, they are there hoping that Maul shows up so they can confront him, somehow. This is made more than abundantly clear to the audience during the movie to the point that it was pointless to bring up as any more than a smoke screen from the main part of the argument.
the engines cannae take any more cap'n
warp 9 to shroomland ~Dalton
AdmBone2Pick
Redshirt

Post by AdmBone2Pick »

Havok you are just nitpicking to avoid addressing the actual points I made. Your posts are a chore to read. Since I'm not getting any constructive response this will probably be my last post.
:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

It made a lot of money because everyone was eagerly anticipating it. And once you buy a ticket, whether you end up liking the movie or not, the studio made their money. This is why box office may be a crappy barometer of a film's artistic merit.

Not to rub salt in the wound of the prequels' terribleness, but if the internet word-of-mouth machine was as well developed in 1999 as it is today, TPM would have BOMBED after the opening weekend.
So you're complaining that something that happened in the middle of one movie wasn't as tense as the ending of another?
The Obi-Wan vs Grievous fight is intercut with scenes of Palpatine revealing he is a Sith and tempting Anakin to the Dark Side. That's kind of a climactic moment for the whole prequel SERIES. Yet there is no clear reason to intercut these sequences, except I guess the most surface-level reason... that Lucas wanted to cut back and forth between his CGI action and his boring dialogue so as not to give us an overdose of either...

Again, compare it to the inherent cinematic logic of the way ANH or ESB is edited. Again we see that the prequels failed on the story design level. Well before people like Ben Burtt got involved and gave that CGI lizard one of the most annoying screechy sound effects in cinema history. :lol: That was just icing.
By your logic, Qui-Gon not reacting to the energy wall and not testing his lightsaber against it means he knew all about it.
Yeah I thought that was made pretty clear by the scene. He knew what the laser wall was which was why he immediately shut off his LS and sat down to meditate.

As for Raynor, come on. Saying Qui-Gon "kicks ass all across Naboo." This is more laughable than your whole 108 page nitpickstravaganza. Qui-Gon does nothing and is a total cipher. The way you project a "kindly father figure" onto the character is slightly disturbing. You defend the 4-way pileup ending of TPM by saying it "gave the whole ensemble cast something to do"? Yeah that's Plinkett's point restated. We didn't need to see Jar-Jar be a slapstick hero especially if it detracted and distracted from the REAL climax of the film.
Loup Garou
Redshirt

Post by Loup Garou »

See, the problem I have with Qui-gon "kicking ass all across Naboo", is that the "asses" that he's kicking belong to the battle droids who are so completely inept that the "fights" become incredibly dull. Contrasted with any of the fights involving say... storm troopers and you got the impression that the heroes were facing a serious threat since they were forced to take up defensive stances or fight them in small groups.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

AdmBone2Pick wrote:Havok you are just nitpicking to avoid addressing the actual points I made. Your posts are a chore to read. Since I'm not getting any constructive response this will probably be my last post.
AdmBoner: The heroes in the OT are forced into fighting=better storytelling.
Havok: No they aren't. Here's what ACTUALLY happened, thus your entire POINT is invalidated.
AdmBoner: You are just nitpicking, I'm taking my ball and going home.
Havok: Concession accepted dumbfuck.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Loup Garou wrote:See, the problem I have with Qui-gon "kicking ass all across Naboo", is that the "asses" that he's kicking belong to the battle droids who are so completely inept that the "fights" become incredibly dull. Contrasted with any of the fights involving say... storm troopers and you got the impression that the heroes were facing a serious threat since they were forced to take up defensive stances or fight them in small groups.
Yeah, Stormtroopers are WAY less inept than battle droids. LOL
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
emersonlakeandbalmer
Padawan Learner

Post by emersonlakeandbalmer »

elfdart wrote:Was David O. Selznick just the producer of his movies? No, he was the owner and chief executive of his own production company and made all final decisions about his movies. Ditto for Bruckheimer. The fact that you left out the rest of my quote and deliberately did so in a way to make it appear that I meant something different proves that you're a worthless trolling palm-fucker.
I left out the rest of your precious quote because it was unnecessary. You do realize when you use the words “or in some other role” you’re talking about every producer out there. Almost all producers have their own or co-own production companies. Now there are certainly producer that are basically hired to be managers like McCallum. So, unless you’re just talking about him or a low level coordinating producer you are once again show you have no idea how film production functions.

Jim Raynor wrote:And that cherry picking of the Boss Nass "planet core" line is really amusing. The movie didn't treat it like the actual planet core, at all, but that's neither here nor there.
I can’t believe you continue to defend this line. Really the movie didn’t treat it like the actual Planet core? Qui-Gon seems too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E67Wq3DsALM&t=6m38s
“We need a navigator to get us through the planet’s core” Notice he says “Planet’s core” not Planet Core. The apostrophe implies a possessive relationship in this case the planet possessing a core.
Jim Raynor wrote:…how the Royal Starship wasn't shot by lasers while escaping the blockade (when in fact it was shot multiple times according to the SAME exact footage that Stoklasa used)
I’ve pointed this out to you before but maybe you need to see it again. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LefM1yEUGk&t=7m2s

From the moment the pilot says “Deflector shield’s up at maximum” they do not get hit again. Now you could argue that the shields were up at max when they went green, but RLM’s edit is not incorrect.
I see we have another guy spreading the revisionist history that nobody liked the prequels.
For such a highly regarded film its amazing that it’s a running punchline for the Star Wars franchise. So much so that you felt the need to defend it, by writing a 108 page rebuttal to a popular online review.
AdmBone2Pick wrote:…if the internet word-of-mouth machine was as well developed in 1999 as it is today, TPM would have BOMBED after the opening weekend.
I don’t know if this would actually be the case. Kingdom of the Crystal Skull was getting terrible word of mouth after opening night and it still managed 300 million. People like to see event movies so the can voice their opinion good or bad at the preverbal watercooler. But I agree boxoffice is not a measure of artistic success.
havnot wrote:Yeah, Stormtroopers are WAY less inept than battle droids. LOL
They were, the heroes usually had to sneak around them or often retreat from them. In TPM they’re “cut down like butter” and the "shouldn't be a problem". I frightening army to behold when they are then confronted with the slapstick antics of Jar-Jar during the films climax.