Death Star Architect speaks out

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Prometheus Unbound
Jedi Master

Re: Death Star Architect speaks out

Post by Prometheus Unbound »

biostem wrote:
So put two grates.
Assuming that there is some sort of force/pressure exerted when something is actually being exhausted out, then they could have also fitted some sort of 1-way valve, so the port is closed unless something is actively being expelled.

Or make it go at silly angles on the inside really tight that a torp couldn't navigate. Like 10 90 degree turns in a row.
NecronLord wrote:
Also, shorten your signature a couple of lines please.
Nephtys
Sith Acolyte

Post by Nephtys »

You know, that's an interesting scenario. Han's mission on the moon is a failure and the shield remains up. What changes?
Nothing from that affects the Luke/Vader/Palp dynamic. Vader will be redeemed and Palp gets thrown down a mine shaft.

The DS remains operational and presumably forces a rebel retreat, possibly with heavy losses. No reason why Executor wouldn't be taken out, but that's a minor detail.

Now... what happens? Seems to me that the Empire'll still fall apart. The sole difference now is a somewhat increased number of losses for the Rebel Fleet, and a half-completed Death Star just sitting there, immobile but dangerous. It seems that the entire battle itself was relatively immaterial, except as a vehicle to get Luke to the throne room.
Prometheus Unbound
Jedi Master

Post by Prometheus Unbound »

Nephtys wrote:You know, that's an interesting scenario. Han's mission on the moon is a failure and the shield remains up. What changes?
Nothing from that affects the Luke/Vader/Palp dynamic. Vader will be redeemed and Palp gets thrown down a mine shaft.

The DS remains operational and presumably forces a rebel retreat, possibly with heavy losses. No reason why Executor wouldn't be taken out, but that's a minor detail.

Now... what happens? Seems to me that the Empire'll still fall apart. The sole difference now is a somewhat increased number of losses for the Rebel Fleet, and a half-completed Death Star just sitting there, immobile but dangerous. It seems that the entire battle itself was relatively immaterial, except as a vehicle to get Luke to the throne room.
Well how many millions (tens of millions?) of presumably the best troops were on it and now survive? It wont change Palpatine dying and Vader dying but the next in command (I don't know much of the EU) now has a Death Star that works... and several million more men.
NecronLord wrote:
Also, shorten your signature a couple of lines please.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Whoever controls the Death Star, presuming they can complete it and get it moving, probably becomes the next Emperor. That's a hell of an advantage.