Star Wars: Rebels

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Re: Star Wars: Rebels

Post by Lord Revan »

Zixinus wrote:To be honest, I don't think Vader would ever say that. He is no longer Anakin Skywalker, he is Darth Vader now. Notice he calls her "the apprentice" not "my apprentice". I think the habit of calling yourselves new names may be more than just a habit, it may have a reason for it. It may be a psychological trick to make the Sith gain greater control over themselves and their emotions, to cope the energies with the Dark Side gives them.

Asoka might ignite some sort of loyalty in Vader and I hope they manage to make it an interesting scene. It may echo what will happen in ROTJ.
who knows, though some Sith (not Vader though) might actually draw on those old connections to metaphorically twist the knife, if faced with a past ally/friend.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Tiriol
Jedi Council Member

Post by Tiriol »

Zixinus wrote:Asoka might ignite some sort of loyalty in Vader and I hope they manage to make it an interesting scene. It may echo what will happen in ROTJ.
She might, but personally I doubt that. Vader showed no spark of loyalty or lingering affection to any Jedi he butchered or tried to butcher, even if we allow for the idea that his fight with Kenobi in Episode III was as much about temper tantrum against his old authority figure not playing along as it was about extermination of the Jedi. Asoka is just as likely to fall mercilessly by Vader's hand just to contrast how much Luke, his own son, truly meant to him.
FedRebel wrote:All I want to see/hear is..
Vader:"Hello...Snips"

What'd be a tad too dark of a concept would be if Vader turns Asoka and she becomes a recurring big bad until Kanan and Ezra turn her back in the final season...leading her to promptly sacrifice herself so the Ghost crew can escape.
Vader calling anyone "Snips" or by any sort of nickname would go against his entire characterization. Asoka MIGHT try to bring some remnants of old Anakin back by reminding him of the nicknames they gave each other, but I have hard time believing this no-nonsense Sith Lord incarnation of Anakin Skywalker would play along. Vader tended to be pretty blunt, but also formal, in all of his previous (no non-canon) EU appearances, but more importantly in the movies. Only Luke of all the people received some warmth or positive emotional reaction from Vader and that was in RotJ; Tarkin came in distant second in that he had civil discussion with Vader while being, more or less, his equal.

And frankly, that "dark" concept doesn't fit too well with me. It once again makes the turn to the dark side be merely a little trip (trip that lasted for two decades for Vader) and has certain fan fiction quality to it. Better have Inquisitors hunt the Lothal gang and establish new evil characters as credible threats instead of re-using movie characters or old Clone Wars characters as baddies.
Confiteor Deo omnipotenti; beatae Mariae semper Virgini; beato Michaeli Archangelo; sanctis Apostolis, omnibus sanctis... Tibit Pater, quia peccavi nimis, cogitatione, verbo et opere, mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa! Kyrie Eleison!

The Imperial Senate (defunct) * Knights Astrum Clades * The Mess
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

I saw most of the new episode.

Damn. Spoiler
Double-length, Vader, Lando, fucking Palpatine...

Poor Ashoka. And poor Imperial minister. I was hoping she wouldn't die.

As for Vader, the show certainly made him, and to a lesser extent the rest of the Empire, formidable. Indeed, one of my complaints is that the heroes escaping sometimes seemed implausible. Though I thought it was a bit much to have Vader take on the whole fleet on his own. I mean, he may be a Sith Lord, but that seemed like him undermining the mission to show off, which seems out of character.

And that Imperial commander on the Star Destroyer is a fucking weasel. Compare him to Needa, who accepted Vader's wrath rather than trying to pin a mistake on a subordinate. But then, I'd honestly expect Vader to see through that.
All in all, not perfect, but I can't wait to see where this season is going.
Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Post by Adam Reynolds »

Spoiler
Did they kill Ashoka?
SilverDragonRed
Padawan Learner

Post by SilverDragonRed »

Adamskywalker007 wrote:Spoiler
Did they kill Ashoka?
Spoiler
No; it was the imperial minister Arihnda Pryce who was killed.
Ah yes, the "Alpha Legion". I thought we had dismissed such claims.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Just caught up. I feel sorry for the Minister. Unless she was rubber stamping ghettos on Lothal, it seems she was trying to do some good by establishing new residential homes paid for by the Empire:

As seen here

And that was quite a way to open the season. I hope the rest of it consists of the Ghost team trying to lay low as they acquire allies and ships, while steadily being hunted by this, new, very threatening and competent empire.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Did they kill Ashoka?
No, thank God. But it was heavily implied that Spoiler
she sensed who Vader was through the Force, and it did a number on her psychologically. She screamed and passed out.
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

SilverDragonRed wrote:
Did they kill Ashoka?
Spoiler
No; it was the imperial minister Arihnda Pryce who was killed.
Actually, Spoiler
It was Minister Maketh Tua. Governor Pryce has yet to actually appear on the show.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
SilverDragonRed
Padawan Learner

Post by SilverDragonRed »

Thanks for the correction. I thought she was the Planetary Governor for some reason.
Ah yes, the "Alpha Legion". I thought we had dismissed such claims.
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

Oh, yes. The trailer they showed at New York Comic Con shows an Interdictor cruiser. :grin:
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

Ghetto edit:

There's a lot in there, most of it in only a few frames of action at a time, but it's still a lot. B-wings, unlike TIE Fighters in this series, can actually damage the ground when they shoot it. :P
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

That trailer seemed a bit spoiler-heavy, but lots of interesting stuff.

Ashoka dueling that new inquisitor with duel white lightsabers.

Interdictor (implied to be a new or rare technology- I believe that could be a change from the old EU).

Lots of tie-ins to The Clone Wars.

Stuff about Ezra's parents.

Was that a B-wing?

Nice.
Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Post by Adam Reynolds »

The Romulan Republic wrote: Interdictor (implied to be a new or rare technology- I believe that could be a change from the old EU).
It's probably an attempt to explain why they were never featured in Clone Wars. That would make sense. Personally I find it more interesting without them, but that is just me. I always saw the tactical weakness of hyperdrive being that they took a period of time to plot a jump and that you could be pursued in hyperspace. Both of these ideas were featured in ANH during the jump to Alderaan and almost entirely forgotten by the EU.

They were also quite rare in the old EU. In the Wraith Squadron trilogy, the Solo Fleet had to make a deal with the Empire to borrow one at the NR didn't have one they could spare. Only Thrawn seemed to have no problem getting them.
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Lots of action, of course. But it also shows some excellent character stuff. In particular:
Spoiler
Rex vs Kanan, with the latter accusing the former clone trooper of "forgetting which side he's fighting on" again.
Oh man the potential in that brief scene alone. I can't wait for Wednesday to get here!
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

That trailer was rather exciting, I'm looking forward to it. Also, star destroyers can finally shoot. I guess they finally started installing those turbolasers :wink:

Was that Asajj Ventress as the bounty hunter? It would be very interesting if she became a part of the Rebel Alliance.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

FaxModem1 wrote:That trailer was rather exciting, I'm looking forward to it. Also, star destroyers can finally shoot. I guess they finally started installing those turbolasers :wink:

Was that Asajj Ventress as the bounty hunter? It would be very interesting if she became a part of the Rebel Alliance.
I guess it was tuesday finally :wink:

And it's hard say anything other then that the other bounty hunter seems familiar with Sabine for certain that is.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Speaking of the Star Destroyers having guns now, FaxModem1, this might be the first time I've seen a Star Destroyer engage in planetary bombardment on-screen. Considering the show has apparently previously referenced Base Delta Zeros, that could end really badly.

As to the bounty hunter, she didn't quite sound like Ventress, though its hard to tell with the helmet on. But she seems to have a prior connection to Sabine. I'd say another Mandalorian, but the armor isn't quite right. Also looks like she might be a bad guy, not a rebel.

Oh, and Ezra's combat skills seem to have gotten quite good. He's fighting like a proper Jedi now.

Edit: Regarding Ventress as a Rebel, though, it is an intriguing idea. It would make sense if some ex-separatist folks in general joined the rebellion. They would at least have in common a dislike of Palpatine's regime. And its been established that not all of the separatists were really bad people (even though the leadership definitely was).
Tychu
Jedi Master

Post by Tychu »

The Romulan Republic wrote:Speaking of the Star Destroyers having guns now, FaxModem1, this might be the first time I've seen a Star Destroyer engage in planetary bombardment on-screen. Considering the show has apparently previously referenced Base Delta Zeros, that could end really badly.

As to the bounty hunter, she didn't quite sound like Ventress, though its hard to tell with the helmet on. But she seems to have a prior connection to Sabine. I'd say another Mandalorian, but the armor isn't quite right. Also looks like she might be a bad guy, not a rebel.

Oh, and Ezra's combat skills seem to have gotten quite good. He's fighting like a proper Jedi now.

Edit: Regarding Ventress as a Rebel, though, it is an intriguing idea. It would make sense if some ex-separatist folks in general joined the rebellion. They would at least have in common a dislike of Palpatine's regime. And its been established that not all of the separatists were really bad people (even though the leadership definitely was).
Spoiler
Ventress was killed of in Dark Disciple. She's not coming back
"Boring Conversation anyway" Han Solo

"What kinda archeologist carries a weapon........Bad Example" Colonel Jack O'Neil

"My name is Olo... Hans Olo" -Dr. Daniel Jackson

"Well you did make the Farmingdale Run in less than 12 parsecs" --Personal Quote

"Just popped out for lunch" - Rowan Atkinson as Mr. Bean
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Well its not like death is terribly permanent in Star Wars (see Palpatine and Maul).
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

And assuming the tv show actually cares what happens in the books.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Yeah.

I mean, I'd like it if they kept things consistent under the new management, but Star Wars has a history of screwing that up, doesn't it?
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

That novel was based off a planned eight part story arc for The Clone Wars, so I imagine it'll stick. It's not like it was just a random idea they had; if TCW had continued as planned (and presuming Rebels would have been mostly similar in such a scenario) we wouldn't even be questioning this.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Well, that does make it more likely that Ventress's death will stick, but there are still multiple precedents in Star Wars for "dead" characters coming back (and Maul, at least, is still canon).

What were the circumstances of Ventress's death? Was it at all ambiguous (not that Maul's was, or so I would have thought)?
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Ventress has died/written out several times already, no reason to assume they will stick to it this time. She is like the galaxy's megazombie.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

The Romulan Republic wrote:Speaking of the Star Destroyers having guns now, FaxModem1, this might be the first time I've seen a Star Destroyer engage in planetary bombardment on-screen. Considering the show has apparently previously referenced Base Delta Zeros, that could end really badly.
The red turbolaser bolts were an odd touch, though.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!