Dream EU casting

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Havok
Miscreant

Re: Dream EU casting

Post by Havok »

They should be bitching that the rest of the movies weren't close to as good a First Class was.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Well of course they should, but they're not people like we are.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Right, fine. Fassbender or Cumberbatch for Thrawn. Now how about Talon Karrde, I'd suggest Antonio Banderas.
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

The Romulan Republic wrote:For example, isn't Xavier still able to walk when he finds Jean Grey at the start of X-Men 3? Also, wasn't the government looking for him after the incident at the end of First Class? How could he remain hidden while running a school all that time, even with his telepathic abilities? And doesn't First Class contradict the line in the first film about Magneto helping to build Cerebro?

I'm not sure, because its been a while since I've seen it. But as I recall it contradicted quite a bit (mostly from X-Men 3).
And a few other things that I can't remember at the moment, I'm fairly sure.

Anyway Havok, it's less that I (and I'm guessing others) were really bothered by the continuity problems as that they felt weird, since the movie otherwise made it a point to show that it wasn't a reboot and that it was in the same continuity. I agree it was way better than any of the other X-Men movies.
Zwinmar
Jedi Master

Post by Zwinmar »

Me as ..someone.

You said fantasy right?
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Ralin if you like First Class better, then why can't you shift your issues to the crap movies they made before it? Even First Class's continuity is better than the rest of the franchise.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Havok wrote:Ralin if you like First Class better, then why can't you shift your issues to the crap movies they made before it? Even First Class's continuity is better than the rest of the franchise.
Like I said, it's just weird and a little jarring since they made it a point to show that it was in the same continuity.

Anyway, should probably drop it here.
zman
Redshirt

Post by zman »

FaxModem1 wrote:Right, fine. Fassbender or Cumberbatch for Thrawn. Now how about Talon Karrde, I'd suggest Antonio Banderas.
oohhh I know amitabh bachchan would be perfect for Talon Karrde. He is an older indian actor (actually he is the most famous actor in the world) he is going to be in The Great Gatsby as Meyer Wolfsheim.

He is a little old but with some makeup he would be absolutly perfect
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

If he is the most famous actor in the world how come I never heard of the guy?
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Probably because as an Indian actor, he's famous in other parts of the world.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

'Most famous actor of the world' kinda indicates that well, he's for all the world, not just India. And while I realize India's population is greater than any western nation's, I []do[/i] think the entirety of the western world combined still tops that. Which bring names like Sean Connery, Tom Cruise, Will Smith to mind, people who are famous the world over (or at least in the parts of the world that routinely have TV and a halfway decipherable alphabet, and some parts that don't have the latter). Does anybody outside India know this amitabh bachchan fellow, and if he's so famous, why can't he afford capital letters?
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Batman wrote: Does anybody outside India know this amitabh bachchan fellow, and if he's so famous, why can't he afford capital letters?
Probably. Indian movies and TV series are supposed to be popular in various African countries, according to an article I vaguely remember reading in college. And there are good-sized Indian diasporas in places like Southeast Asia, England, the Caribbean, etc.

That said, I'd never heard of him either and zman is probably exaggerating.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

It turns out an actor can be popular entirely in non-English communities and have access to billions of fans. Is this really surprising?
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

The fellow being massively popular? No. I live in a non-english community and german TV didn't coin the term Bollywood because nobody ever watches those damned indian movies. The guy being the most popular actor on the planet? I think I'm going to need more convincing on that.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Hmmm... Interesting. Is it better to be the most popular actor in India, population 1.2 Billion or America, Europe, Australia, Japan etc.?
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Aren't 'those damn indian movies' a fast growing industry with huge numbers? Even just looking at the mandarin film industry I can easily believe that stars in that environment are more popular than Western stars. Are you just being anal about the DEBATE CLAIM of MOST POPULAR GIGATON? Is your COUNTERSTROKE to this logical argument 'I don't know who he is'? The guy may be referring to that this guy was voted 'star of the millenium' or something in the late 20th century.

Hey Hav, even the mandarin film industry hits like 2 billion mandarin speakers. There's a reason why foreign film industries are growing really, really fast.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Oh I know, that is why I posed that question. It has always been my understanding that as popular as actors and directors get in their own countries, no matter the population, it is always the "West" that has the most desirable market to be famous and successful in.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Its interesting, because in non-English countries western stars are still present (obviously) but factors like cost, localisation, etc give the local stars much more prominence than their earnings or 'fame' probably warrants. When I was in Taiwan Omega watches were advertised by Brad Pitt and shit, but there were far more ads for local idols/k-pop guys/etc.
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

What logical argument? Zman declared the fellow the most popular actor of the world and hasn't been heard from since. And while those 'damn indian movies' are apparently a fast growing industry I do doubt they have yet reached the market penetration in the west that western media has in the rest of the world. And yes, when someone declares an actor the most famous of the world, I expect that to be backed up by something better than 'was labeled that in a ceremony giving him a price nobody outside India ever heard of or cares about'.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Why do you equate market penetration in the west with fame? Are you just not getting that if literally zero people in the west know who he is, he can still be the most famous actor in the world because MOST PEOPLE AREN'T IN THE WEST?

Seriously, I don't think anyone took zman's DELCARATION OF ARGUMENT STATEMENT OF TRUTH very seriously - except you. And you're just upset because someone could be famous in the wide world of 6.5 billion people that you personally hadn't heard of!
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Yeah seriously Batman. There is a reason I threw 1.2Billion out there for one country. The dude is RIDICULOUSLY fucking famous if he is the most famous person in India.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

At this point, I think the one upset here is you, not me. :D
How the hell does market penetration not affect fame? You can't be famous if nobody ever sees your movies. I trust even you know what market penetration means in this context.
As for me taking zman's declaration seriously-yes, I did, because there was no indication he was kidding (and more importantly, I was bored and nothing worthwhile was on TV). And half the people who are famous in the part of the world I do know, I don't know the names of, so some indian guy being famous elsewhere (possibly a lot of elsewhere) is hardly surprising. But we're talking 'most famous actor of the world', and so far, what we have for evidence is zman saying so and...that's it. Not particularly compelling. But feel free to show whatshisname is so popular in the nonwestern part of the world as to outstrip the likes of Sean Connery, Will Smith and so on.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

I think he is.

DUDE. ONE POINT TWO BILLION PEOPLE. He has fuckloads of market penetration.

And a cursory look at wiki shows that... "in 1999, Bachchan was voted the "greatest star of stage or screen" in a BBC Your Millenium online poll. The organisation noted that "Many people in the western world will not have heard of [him] ...[but it] is a reflection of the huge popularity of Indian films."[71] In 2001, he was honoured with the Actor of the Century award at the Alexandria International Film Festival in Egypt in recognition of his contribution to the world of cinema.[72] Many other honours for his achievements were conferred upon him at several International Film Festivals, including the Lifetime Achievement Award at the 2010 Asian Film Awards.[73]"

So Europe, Africa and Asia all recognize this guy as like the greatest actor ever... but one guy in Germany doesn't know him so bullshit on the rest of the world. :lol:
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

And yes, I know they don't represent their respective continents as a whole, it is hyperbole, but I'm hoping you get the point.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)