Disney to acquire Lucasfilm

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Re: Disney to acquire Lucasfilm

Post by Galvatron »

Havok wrote:
Galvatron wrote:How about a sequel trilogy that incorporates the best elements from the Thrawn and Dark Empire stories?
Oh Galvs... not you too. :(
It was just a pisstake. :)

I'd rather they made a clean break from the EU. Not sure how that affects the TCW cartoon series though.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Re: Episode 7 coming amid Disney purchase of lucasfilms

Post by Batman »

They could do what Lucas did for the PT and TCW and just ignore the parts they don't like?
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Okay okay, let me be clear... I like (parts) of the EU but why the fuck are you people talking about the EU, Disney just bought Lucasfilm and the rights to Indiana Jones and Star Wars and you people are talking about the EU?

Fuck the EU, Disney owns Star Wars... WHAT? No serious WHAT? How did this deal come about, why did Disney make the deal... how much is Lucas getting of this four billion, what is his cut and what does this mean for Disney in general. I don't see them stopping at just Lucasfilms, so who are they acquire next to bring into the in house media money making empire. Another try at Pixar? Maybe they will go for Paramount?

No seriously fuck the EU yes the next movie is a big deal, episode seven big deal but until they announce who's directing and who wrote the script I'm going to believe it's just a stunt to raise their stock price and a real movie is five/ten years away but I could be wrong, hell Disney just bought Star wars.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

I get you Bean.

I'm just reactionary right now.... I honestly feel... numb I guess is the word... I don't know if this is good or bad.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Themightytom wrote:I'm not worried about Disney buying it, but this could wreak havoc on the EU.
I hope so.
Last edited by Elfdart on 2012-10-30 05:55pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Yeah most people just stopped caring like that years ago. That's why people are interested in details and not just unable to process it as beyond them.

I'm not really sure it'll change anything, but the wailing among fans is gold. It's likely almost everything will stay as t is unless they have a clear vision of what they want to do, which isn't impossible.

'I feel numb' what the fuck is wrong with you people? Are you seriously so addicted and dependent on a licenced property, a brand?
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Like I said in the other thread, the reaction on TFN has killed the website. Should be indicative really of what exactly this is doing. :P
SDNW5: Republic of Arcadia...Sweden in SPAAACE
Nephtys
Sith Acolyte

Post by Nephtys »

Seriously, what's the worse that could happen? They could release 3 sub-par entries into the movie series involving hokey overly kid-goofy CGI characters and cardboard writing? Arbitrary attempts to fit every minor plot point into a neat little knot that nobody really cares about?
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Mr Bean wrote:No seriously fuck the EU yes the next movie is a big deal, episode seven big deal but until they announce who's directing and who wrote the script I'm going to believe it's just a stunt to raise their stock price and a real movie is five/ten years away but I could be wrong, hell Disney just bought Star wars.
Is it too soon to throw Whedon's name out there? :D
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Don't give me shit dawg, just because your black heart has never loved something. :lol:

It's the George Lucas part... the Disney part. I never in a million years thought this would happen. I'm not sure if I am happy or astonished or excited or what.

Maybe I am worried that they have a golden opportunity to make the brand relevant and are going to just go status quo.

And I give a fuck about the brand, I just love the stories of the movies. I don't think I have ever bought a Star wars licensed thing in my life out side of a couple of books and the old Marvel comics if you don't count the movies themselves. Everything Star Wars I have has been a gift.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

From the horse's mouth:

Darksider
Sith Acolyte

Post by Darksider »

To me the most worrying part is the bit about putting out a new SW movie every two to three years. That's really going to make the franchise get stale real fast.
And this is why you don't watch anything produced by Ronald D. Moore after he had his brain surgically removed and replaced with a bag of elephant semen.-Gramzamber, on why Caprica sucks
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Are you a time traveller from 2002? Can anyone describe something ha that might happen that DIDN'T ALREADY HAPPEN?

'Thy might ruin star wars'.

Sorry guys, it's been ruined for a while. :lol:
Pelranius
Sith Marauder

Post by Pelranius »

My bet is that the sequels will feature some mash up of the Yuuzhan Vong, Thrawn and the Reborn Emperor (or expys there of).

Wonder how big a time leap they'll take? Five, ten, twenty years?
Turns out that a five way cross over between It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, the Ali G Show, Fargo, Idiocracy and Veep is a lot less funny when you're actually living in it.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Darksider wrote:To me the most worrying part is the bit about putting out a new SW movie every two to three years. That's really going to make the franchise get stale real fast.
Like back in 1977, 1980 and 1983? :lol:
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

Eframepilot wrote:Does this mean that Star Wars will be in the next Kingdom Hearts?
Chances are slim, but perhaps not impossible.
What is Project Zohar?

Here's to a certain mostly harmless nutcase.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Does this mean Leia is now a Disney Princess?
The Vortex Empire
Jedi Council Member

Post by The Vortex Empire »

Pelranius wrote:My bet is that the sequels will feature some mash up of the Yuuzhan Vong, Thrawn and the Reborn Emperor (or expys there of).

Wonder how big a time leap they'll take? Five, ten, twenty years?
Or more likely, they'll completely ignore the EU since nobody gives a shit about it.

I'd prefer to wipe the EU with the exception of KOTOR and the X-Wing series. Everything else I've read/seen is pretty much crap.
Last edited by The Vortex Empire on 2012-10-30 06:18pm, edited 1 time in total.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Yeah, Star Wars, outside of the movies, and the two animated series, has been crap. Really, even the prequel movies, didn't add anything new to the universe as they just showed us what we already knew happened. They were technically great, but story wise meh. I haven't watched TCW yet so I don't know if it is really doing anything to expand the universe or just fill in some blanks, I am guessing mostly the latter.

The written and drawn EU is just utter garbage and this is where the problem lies that I hope Disney can fix.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Post by Dalton »

I'm merging this thread into the other one.

EDIT: Merge complete
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

I want a complete Star Wars theme park!
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

I live an hour from Disneyland and I never visit. If they suddenly start having Marvel and Star Wars attractions there, I'm getting a season pass.
Captain Seafort
Jedi Council Member

Post by Captain Seafort »

Havok wrote:The written and drawn EU is just utter garbage and this is where the problem lies that I hope Disney can fix.
Mostly garbage Hav, mostly. The gems may be rare amid the dross, but they're there.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

They can cherry pick the EU all they want. Put Daniel Day-Lewis (or Charles Dance) in blue makeup and call him Thrawn and you've got yourself a bankable villain.