X Wing Proton Torpedoes and you

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Boeing 757
Padawan Learner
Location: Εν ενί γαλαξία μένω, ον συ ου δύνασαι ευρείν χωρίς διαστημικού οχήματος.

Re: X Wing Proton Torpedoes and you

Post by Boeing 757 »

blacksun2175 wrote:
Boeing 757 wrote:First off, I want to inform everyone on this board that this user here--supposedly Blacksun2175--may in fact be user slicktyler, who has opened up this blacksun2175 account in order to aggravate SD.net user Blacksun2000, whose youtube username has been Blacksun2175 for several months on there until now. On top of the idiocy displayed by user slicktyler in this thread, this troll idiot 2175 gives away his true identity by reiterating the SAME crap, discarded arguments that user slicktyler had given credence, too, even after in this very thread those arguments were torn up by numerous posters. Several others and I have already alerted the mods as to what is happening here, but no response as of yet.
No. I have used the name Blacksun from my p&p role playng days. Black Sun was my characters name from RIFTS the number comes from the year he was born.

That is weird that someone else has the same name on a youtube account well not as weird as someone actually having a youtube account. Why would u need one do you subscire to the Jonahs brothers or something. But it is not the wierdest thing I have seen I once met someone wit the same first name and birthday as me.
:roll: Stop the trolling, douchebag. You took it from BLACKSUN2000 who created and based that name off the criminal syndicate in Star Wars called 'Black Sun.' Besides which, you write and think exactly like slicktyler, and you both also joined within a week apart of 'each other.'
Boeing 757 wrote:1)Red leader's torpedoes didn't just impact on the surface--they caused the adjoining decks surrounding the port to shudder. That isn't any thing to scoff at.
that doesnt stike you at all as being werid that it can shake the decks but not damage the surface
Again, I can think of several reasons as to why that would be, some of which I've already mentioned:

1)We know that the Death Star's defenses are designed to defend against large-scale attacks (i.e. many capital ships) and that they can handle a mindnumbingly huge amount of kinetic energy, so it isn't all too far fetched that two fighter torpedoes couldn't inflict much damage. That is one possibility. Have you considered it at all?

2)Further, not once do we get a detailed view of the impact site, but rather we are left only with a closeup of the exhaust port which we can't even presume to have been hit dead on since we know that Red leader missed the target. Watch. So, I have to ask myself how you would know anyway to what degree the armor had been effected.

3)Also for what it's worth, one can clearly see that the exhaust port does indeed appear to have heavier armor around its vicinity, which makes sense since the Empire went through the effort to install ray shielding over the area. Apparently the entire end of the trench necessitates heavier armor and shields for some unknown reason.

Either way that one goes with it, your idea that proton torpedoes can't threaten large warships because of lack of effects near the exhaust port seems to be completely blown out of the water.... :lol:
Boeing 757 wrote:2)The Death Star's defenses were built in mind to thwart large-scale capitalship attacks, and besides which, they can manage an enormous amount of energy--hint: Alderaan debris. starfighters won't be achieving any appreciable damage against them any time soon.
i will have to watch the movie again but i remember the x-wings doing damage to the death star with just their lasers. They blow up a few towers and do some straffing runs.
I highlighted the relevant part for you. They blew up several structures on the surface, but did they penetrate the armor or do any major damage to it? HARDLY. Watch. The X-wing laser cannons barely inflict any damage. So as I said, starfighters won't be achieving any appreciable damage against them. Sorry, but point one therefore still stands.
Boeing 757 wrote:3)Provide us evidence of what the yield of Red Squadron's torpedoes were. Red Squadron wasn't up against a capital ship, if you hadn't noticed. There was no point whatsoever in carrying megaton/gigaton-yield missles against the Death Star since they weren't planning on destroying it by using conventional attacks.
I know which is why there should be some damage to the sourounding area.
They used MG7-A proton torpedoes there is no yield for these or at least no printed yield
EXACTLY. Consequently we don't know what the yield was for those torpedoes, and if that is so, what makes you think then that proton torpedoes can not threaten capships?
Boeing 757 wrote:4)Explain why fighters are even used against capital ships if they don't manifest a threat to capships. Remember how in ROTJ the first wave of assault against the Rebel fleet consisted of fighters? We even know that a TIE bomber launched a thermonuclear device at Home One and made the the entire ship vibrate.

Further, fighter torpedoes are indeed a threat to capital ships. Remember that scene in ROTJ where the A-wings blew up one of the Executor's sensor domes, and the other one prior where fighters blew up an ISD's sensor dome?
yes if they are a threat then why dosn't the proton torpedo damage the death star when the xwings lasers will.
For fuck's sake, you're an idiot. The proton torpedo did create a fireball, but we aren't shown what the result was. And as for the lasers, they accomplished jack, pal. At least know what you're talking about when you want to make a claim. You're wrong on every single detail.

BTW, I'm glad to see that you completely glossed over my canonical examples of torpedoes harming capital ships. Your true trollish nature is showing more and more clearly....

Those should be enough to prove that my opinion is in the right. CONCESSION ACCEPTED
Fucking idiot
I back batman up and i get called names. Terrifeic
:roll:
Omnia praesumuntur legitime facta donec probetur in contrarium.

Kritisches Denken schützt vor Illusionen.

Παν μέτρον άριστον τῷ κρατίστῳ.
BLACKSUN2000
Youngling

Post by BLACKSUN2000 »

that doesnt stike you at all as being werid that it can shake the decks but not damage the surface
Yet it happened. The same way a gust of wind can shake your body but not damage your skin.
i will have to watch the movie again but i remember the x-wings doing damage to the death star with just their lasers. They blow up a few towers and do some straffing runs.
Yet their shields are placed at diffrent levels. Particle shields are flush with the hull, while ray shields can be projected further from the hull. It's more than obvious they flew under the ray shields.
They used MG7-A proton torpedoes there is no yield for these or at least no printed yield
Yeah what are the chances of two people on this board subscribing to that same fallacy. :roll:
Did you even bother to read this thread? If not I suggest you do so.
yes if they are a threat then why dosn't the proton torpedo damage the death star when the xwings lasers will.
See above.
I back batman up and i get called names. Terrifeic
No you weren't, Bats clearly stated that proton torpedoes are a threat to SW vessels.

Also you probably missed the SIG under the Stardestroyer.net banner?

"Get your fill of sci-fi, science, and mockery of stupid people", emphasis, mockery of stupid people.
Even if I go to hell, I will live to the end of this world. And if the world does not come to an end... I will destroy it with my own hands!-Lacan

Yes, we will destroy god. That is our purpose... That is our destiny!-Grahf
blacksun2175
Redshirt

Post by blacksun2175 »

Boeing 757 wrote:

:roll: Stop the trolling, douchebag. You took it from BLACKSUN2000 who created and based that name off the criminal syndicate in Star Wars called 'Black Sun.' Besides which, you write and think exactly like slicktyler, and you both also joined within a week apart of 'each other.'
logic fail
I will accept your appolige when you realize you are wrong
Again, I can think of several reasons as to why that would be, some of which I've already mentioned:

1)We know that the Death Star's defenses are designed to defend against large-scale attacks (i.e. many capital ships) and that they can handle a mindnumbingly huge amount of kinetic energy, so it isn't all too far fetched that two fighter torpedoes couldn't inflict much damage. That is one possibility. Have you considered it at all?

2)Further, not once do we get a detailed view of the impact site, but rather we are left only with a closeup of the exhaust port which we can't even presume to have been hit dead on since we know that Red leader missed the target. Watch. So, I have to ask myself how you would know anyway to what degree the armor had been effected.

3)Also for what it's worth, one can clearly see that the exhaust port does indeed appear to have heavier armor around its vicinity, which makes sense since the Empire went through the effort to install ray shielding over the area. Apparently the entire end of the trench necessitates heavier armor and shields for some unknown reason.

Either way that one goes with it, your idea that proton torpedoes can't threaten large warships because of lack of effects near the exhaust port seems to be completely blown out of the water.... :lo
reading fail

i am asking why does it not damage the death star if it can damage Star Destroyers.

I highlighted the relevant part for you. They blew up several structures on the surface, but did they penetrate the armor or do any major damage to it? HARDLY. Watch. The X-wing laser cannons barely inflict any damage. So as I said, starfighters won't be achieving any appreciable damage against them. Sorry, but point one therefore still stands.
Watch movie fail

I just rewatched A New HOpe I now know that no one who has posted on this topic has watched A New hope in a very long time myself too.

If they did they would notice that there is damage to the exhaust port. I see blackend scarring on the upper left side of the exahust port.

In the rest of the movie we see the x-wings do significant damage with there lasers. They blow up the tower at the base of it and it causes massive explosions below decks and shakes the decks too.

So proton torpedoes are equel strength to laser cannons if not more.
EXACTLY. Consequently we don't know what the yield was for those torpedoes, and if that is so, what makes you think then that proton torpedoes can not threaten capships?
reading fail again

nothing makes me think they are not a threat to capital ships. I am asking why then do they not damage the death star. Which we know the answer to that question now as I am the only one who has watched Star Wars.
For fuck's sake, you're an idiot. The proton torpedo did create a fireball, but we aren't shown what the result was. And as for the lasers, they accomplished jack, pal. At least know what you're talking about when you want to make a claim. You're wrong on every single detail.

BTW, I'm glad to see that you completely glossed over my canonical examples of torpedoes harming capital ships. Your true trollish nature is showing more and more clearly....

Those should be enough to prove that my opinion is in the right. CONCESSION ACCEPTED
Reading fail watch movie fail douchebag win
hey shit for brains idiot who hasn't watched star wars. We do see the results of the missed proton torpedo. HAHAHA you even linked to a youtube vidoe of it. did you not watch it before you post it

Yet their shields are placed at diffrent levels. Particle shields are flush with the hull, while ray shields can be projected further from the hull. It's more than obvious they flew under the ray shields.
i think it the other way around. Empire Strikes back the Milenium falcons shields protec them from space when they go outside the ship.

Yeah what are the chances of two people on this board subscribing to that same fallacy. :roll:
reading fail pot kettle win

Chances are good because lord Martiya and Connor MacLeod both say there is no stated yield. Others say there is a variable yeild but no printed number. Are you saying that there is a printed yeild on proton torpedoes or that the MG7-A proton torpeodes were not used in the battle of yavin? Either way netiher of those to facts are falacies. Facts are facts. the rebels used MG7-A proton torpeodes and there is no printed yeild for them. Do you know of a printed yeild for proton torpedoes

Seems like you didn't read the thread

No you weren't, Bats clearly stated that proton torpedoes are a threat to SW vessels.

"Get your fill of sci-fi, science, and mockery of stupid people", emphasis, mockery of stupid people.
reading fail. I asked the question if proton torpedoes hurt capital ships why don't they hurt death star. I never meant to mean they couldn't hurt capital ships you assume I did. Making assumptions can be bad if you were not sure why didn't you ask what i meant.
Boeing 757
Padawan Learner
Location: Εν ενί γαλαξία μένω, ον συ ου δύνασαι ευρείν χωρίς διαστημικού οχήματος.

Post by Boeing 757 »

blacksun2175 wrote:
Boeing 757 wrote:

logic fail
I will accept your appolige when you realize you are wrong
We'll see shortly enough, troll. Oh mods....

Either way that one goes with it, your idea that proton torpedoes can't threaten large warships because of lack of effects near the exhaust port seems to be completely blown out of the water.... :lo
reading fail

i am asking why does it not damage the death star if it can damage Star Destroyers.
Did you not read a single thing that I wrote? I already came up with several possible reasons for that, you even acknowledged one of them about the unknown yeild. Don't be so fucking obtuse.
Watch movie fail

I just rewatched A New HOpe I now know that no one who has posted on this topic has watched A New hope in a very long time myself too.

If they did they would notice that there is damage to the exhaust port. I see blackend scarring on the upper left side of the exahust port.

In the rest of the movie we see the x-wings do significant damage with there lasers. They blow up the tower at the base of it and it causes massive explosions below decks and shakes the decks too.
It looks a little bit scortched, but beyond that there isn't any structural damage visible. Image

Not surprising as the exhaust port seems to be heavily armored. And watch those clips again, 'significant' lasercannon damage, my ass. Grand Moff Tarkin was SO pissing his pants when those X-wings shot the surface. :lol:
I knew it was somehow coming to this. Now you're going to claim proton torpedoes have kiloton yields only, aren't you.

reading fail again

nothing makes me think they are not a threat to capital ships. I am asking why then do they not damage the death star. Which we know the answer to that question now as I am the only one who has watched Star Wars.
Please, anyone could see that this is exactly what you weren't meaning. Your original words, 'If the Proton torpedo is a threat to capital ships then it stands to reason that we would see evidence of damage to the exhuast port on the death star. It could be pitting, a small hole, or some type of metalic deformation but we don't.'

Also, more of you: 'yes if they are a threat [to capital ships] then why dosn't the proton torpedo damage the death star when the xwings lasers will.'

It's obvious that you were trying to debunk the 'proton torps can threaten capships' argument. Now you're just trying to weasel your way out of being further made a fool by repositioning your intent.

Reading fail watch movie fail douchebag win
hey shit for brains idiot who hasn't watched star wars. We do see the results of the missed proton torpedo. HAHAHA you even linked to a youtube vidoe of it. did you not watch it before you post it
There was an explosion, and then a closeup of the exhaust port which didn't show us much. The impact scene isn't shown clearly in the movie, I even had get a picture with more detail of it off Saxton's site. Even with what's shown in that picture, it's impossible to tell whether or not that was all of the damage.

Chances are good because lord Martiya and Connor MacLeod both say there is no stated yield. Others say there is a variable yeild but no printed number. Are you saying that there is a printed yeild on proton torpedoes or that the MG7-A proton torpeodes were not used in the battle of yavin? Either way netiher of those to facts are falacies. Facts are facts. the rebels used MG7-A proton torpeodes and there is no printed yeild for them. Do you know of a printed yeild for proton torpedoes
The chances are quite high since we know slicktyler is a troll who operates under numerous clone accounts, and who knows BlackSun2175 from youtube. You write, think and act like tyler. And now you're continuing to troll.

reading fail. I asked the question if proton torpedoes hurt capital ships why don't they hurt death star. I never meant to mean they couldn't hurt capital ships you assume I did. Making assumptions can be bad if you were not sure why didn't you ask what i meant.
No, you didn't, dumb fuck. You were trying to decrease the threat of proton torps against capships. Now you're trying innocently to retract what you originally said by trying to make it sound like some thing else.
Omnia praesumuntur legitime facta donec probetur in contrarium.

Kritisches Denken schützt vor Illusionen.

Παν μέτρον άριστον τῷ κρατίστῳ.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

blacksun2175 wrote:
reading fail
Yup. On YOUR part.
And as you have been told, not only do we have NO FUCKING CLUE if they actually managed to damage the Death Star or not thanks to never seeing the impact site, so Valendamned what? Even assuming the rebels WERE using anti-capship torpedoes there (which would have been a stupid thing to do even if they had them available at the time as a brute force kill on the DS was never an option whereas the reactor kill they were going for to begin with was likely possible with much smaller yield and thus presumably cheaper/easier to get torpedoes) since we never SEE what damage they did you're talking out of your ass.
If they did they would notice that there is damage to the exhaust port.
No there isn't.
I see blackend scarring on the upper left side of the exhaust port.
Not only does that NOT equal actual DAMAGE but by all means tell me a)what it was caused by, and b)the energy input required to CAUSE that scorching what with you having no fucking clue about the makeup of the DS's surface at that location. If you're trying to say that 1) it was caused by the protorp near misses from Gold Leader and b) indicates protorp firepower of a given magnitude, show some proof.
In the rest of the movie we see the x-wings do significant damage with there lasers.
No we don't.
They blow up the tower at the base of it and it causes massive explosions below decks and shakes the decks too.
Those 'massive explosions' looking rather timid compared to what a modern day artillery strike would cause. Hint: A half-dozen people being blown off their feet is NOT a 'massive explosion'.
As evidenced by-you saying so. Nevermind the fact that you're blithely and very likely intentionally ignoring the fact that there's several kinds of torpedoes you have yet to show ANY evidence for your assumed torpedo yield given that we never see the impact site for Gold Leader's misses.
nothing makes me think they are not a threat to capital ships.
I am asking why then do they not damage the death star.
Not only have you been given SEVERAL satisfactory answers even if we assume they were using antiship torpedoes in ANH, but you have COMPLETELY FAILED to show they DIDN'T damage the Death Star as we NEVER see the impact site of the two torpedoes that missed.
Which we know the answer to that question now as I am the only one who has watched Star Wars.
You apparently didn't pay much attention then.
y shit for brains idiot who hasn't watched star wars. We do see the results of the missed proton torpedo.
No we don't. We see a scorch mark close to the shaft that was caused by SOMETHING and doesn't say beans about torpedo yield anyway.
i think it the other way around. Empire Strikes back the Milenium falcons shields protec them from space when they go outside the ship.
As evidenced by your feverish imagination. The only times Han & Co leave the MF in ESB there's clearly an atmosphere around.
Chances are good because lord Martiya and Connor MacLeod both say there is no stated yield.
For that particular kind of torpedo, no, apparently not. So what?
reading fail. I asked the question if proton torpedoes hurt capital ships why don't they hurt death star.
And not only have you been given several satisfactory answers WHY they wouldn't even if it were the same kind of torpedo but you have completely failed to show they DIDN'T hurt the Death Star.
I never meant to mean they couldn't hurt capital ships you assume I did.
Like hell you didn't. What ELSE is 'if they can hurt SDs how come they can't hurt the Death Star' supposed to mean other than you assuming they CAN'T hurt capital ships?
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
BLACKSUN2000
Youngling

Post by BLACKSUN2000 »

So anybody else noticed how slicktyler dissapeared then this guy shows up parroting the same stupid argument? Ignoring evidence and generally trolling/not providing proof for his asenine claims.

LOL Dumbass.

An ISD is a 1 mile long ship that can take punishment from another ship capable of slagging planetary surfaces, the deathstar is a 120+km space station that shrugged off debris from a planetary explosion. Obviously, two torpedoes fired from an X-wing aren't going to damage either of them when their shields are up.
Nice try you trolling douchebag. You are parroting the same retarded thing that tyler was saying at the very start of the debate on youtube and on this thread. This whole time your whole purpose has been to attack and undermine Lucasfilm canon, trying to get someone to say that those torpedoes are rated in the kiloton range, despite canon sources providing higher (triple-digit megatons+)yields.
Funny, the slickytyler40,ackbar60 accounts said the exact same thing, now your blacksun account is doing the same.
you mean when they were inside the the giant space slug? :wtf:

Idiot, what the hell does that have to do with the shields?

Seems like you didn't read the thread
What a trolling douchebag. :roll:

There aren't any stated yields for proton torps, but they have been known to reach the triple digit megatons and higher(the ones used to slag a mountain chain), but anyone who actually read through the thread would know that. :wink:
Did you not read a single thing that I wrote? I already came up with several possible reasons for that, you even acknowledged one of them about the unknown yeild. Don't be so fucking obtuse.
Let's see, he ignores evidence like tyler and spout the same retarded arguments. I'm just waiting for him to run away a claim victory like the stupid douche did on youtube. Too bad you can't delete your posts like your youtube account was so fond of doing.

Is it me or has his writing changed? I bet he's doing it on purpose to try and sound less like the op account. It's too late tyler there's evidence that you have similar writing style/"debating" tactics.
Even if I go to hell, I will live to the end of this world. And if the world does not come to an end... I will destroy it with my own hands!-Lacan

Yes, we will destroy god. That is our purpose... That is our destiny!-Grahf
Azron_Stoma
Padawan Learner

Post by Azron_Stoma »

I think the best way to determine if he is Tyler or not is to do an IP check, anyone know how/have the authority to do so?
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Azron_Stoma wrote:I think the best way to determine if he is Tyler or not is to do an IP check, anyone know how/have the authority to do so?
Moderators can check, direct a private message to the forum mod, in this case NecronLord, or any other moderator/admin if you have concerns about someone sock puppeting.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Edi
Dragonlord
Dragonlord

Post by Edi »

Interestingly enough, this thread was brought to my attention and I decided to check on it.

slicktyler and blacksun2175 have an IP match, so draw your own conclusions from that. The thread and the posters in question, as well as some related matters are now under administrative review.

And rest assured that if anyone at all starts trouble over this, I will ban first and sort it out later with the rest of the staff. That applies to all sides.
Warwolf Urban Combat Specialist

Why is it so goddamned hard to get little assholes like you to admit it when you fuck up? Is it pride? What gives you the right to have any pride?
–Darth Wong to vivftp

GOP message? Why don't they just come out of the closet: FASCISTS R' US –Patrick Degan

The GOP has a problem with anyone coming out of the closet. –18-till-I-die
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Additional, as requested. I have looked up their IPs, slicktyler and blacksun2175 have posted from the same IP, yes. Action shall be taken.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth