are the Fate of the Jedi books any good?

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Thanas
Magister
Magister

Re: are the Fate of the Jedi books any good?

Post by Thanas »

They can't really kill any of the big trilogy characters. Lucas himself has reserved that right for himself only afaik. Remember that they had to ask him before they were even allowed to kill Chewie?
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Thanas wrote:They can't really kill any of the big trilogy characters. Lucas himself has reserved that right for himself only afaik. Remember that they had to ask him before they were even allowed to kill Chewie?
Yeah, but the further along the post-ROTJ EU progresses, the more absurd it would be for Lucas to not lift his no-kill policy. Luke, Han, Leia, and company aren't immortal; they're going to die at some point down the road in the timeline. The EU can't maintain a floating timeline. And there are still opportunities for stories involving the characters in other eras.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

I'd rather they left the original characters well alone and simply focused on other eras, like the legacy comics do. Otherwise it looks like those characters never even got a moment's rest in their life if the whole galaxy is so inept that they need Luke, Leia and Han to come to their rescue every damm time.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Darth Yan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Yan »

Since the latest book has been released, here are the latest spoilers Spoiler
Niathal commits suicide, cause she thinks she's blameless in helping Caedus get to the top. Vestara gets captured. Moff Lecersen is plotting to become emporer. The mandalorians attack the jedi temple and get their asses handed to them. Luke stops the nightsisters from ruining the dathomiri plan to merge the clans. the Sith approach with an alliance to stop Abeloth, Luke and Ben accept, and they team up. In the excerpt of Allies, Vestara confesses to her dad that she is attracted to ben as much as he is to her, and he tells her "GOOD, use it to corrupt him. make him one of us." In true palpatine style. Oh, and someone tries to assassinate Jag. And Daala has sex with a Bothan. Yahh. kinda wierd
sorry if i'm spamming, I'm not trying too.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Darth Yan wrote:Spoiler
And Daala has sex with a Bothan. Yahh. kinda wierd
:wtf:
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

JME2 wrote:
Darth Yan wrote:Spoiler
And Daala has sex with a Bothan. Yahh. kinda wierd
:wtf:
It's not like the Rogue Squadron books didn't bring it up first ;)
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
Darksider
Sith Acolyte

Post by Darksider »

uuugh. They don't get...... descriptive, do they?
And this is why you don't watch anything produced by Ronald D. Moore after he had his brain surgically removed and replaced with a bag of elephant semen.-Gramzamber, on why Caprica sucks
adam_grif
Sith Devotee

Post by adam_grif »

Darksider wrote:uuugh. They don't get...... descriptive, do they?
Don't be so unappreciative. Many Bothans died bringing us this information.
A scientist once gave a public lecture on astronomy. He described how the Earth orbits around the sun and how the sun, in turn, orbits around the centre of a vast collection of stars called our galaxy.

At the end of the lecture, a little old lady at the back of the room got up and said: 'What you have told us is rubbish. The world is really a flat plate supported on the back of a giant tortoise.

The scientist gave a superior smile before replying, 'What is the tortoise standing on?'

'You're very clever, young man, very clever,' said the old lady. 'But it's turtles all the way down.'
Kingmaker
Jedi Knight

Post by Kingmaker »

Don't be so unappreciative. Many Bothans died bringing us this information.
Lie back and think of Bothawui? *shudder*
In the event that the content of the above post is factually or logically flawed, I was Trolling All Along.

"Essentially, all models are wrong, but some are useful." - George Box
Darth Yan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Yan »

on the plus side the mandalorians get there asses handed to them, and Daala is loosing support. And there actually is a lot of debate at TFN. Apparently people are learning to open their minds and actually debate rather then be little pussies.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Wait... I'm sorry... did you say that Luke is approached by the Sith and agrees to work with them? Because I think that is what you said...

Hold on...

Yup, that is what you said. The Sith... and Luke... team up. Uh huh.

And you guys keep buying this garbage why?

And really... Jedi Sith Marvel team up and you guys are going :wtf: at some inter species sex? Idiots.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Gaidin
Sith Devotee

Post by Gaidin »

Havok wrote:Wait... I'm sorry... did you say that Luke is approached by the Sith and agrees to work with them? Because I think that is what you said...

Hold on...

And really... Jedi Sith Marvel team up and you guys are going :wtf: at some inter species sex? Idiots.
Well, Luke does die before 137 ABY iirc...you never know what might happen.
Ritterin Sophia
Sith Acolyte

Post by Ritterin Sophia »

Gaidin wrote:
Havok wrote:Wait... I'm sorry... did you say that Luke is approached by the Sith and agrees to work with them? Because I think that is what you said...

Hold on...

Well, Luke does die before 137 ABY iirc...you never know what might happen.
The average life of a human in Star Wars based on Leia's estimate about Han is ~120 years before major problems start arising, and something about Force users makes them live slightly longer than the average, so it's completely possible that Luke could die of old age.
A Certain Clique, HAB, The Chroniclers
Gaidin
Sith Devotee

Post by Gaidin »

General Schatten wrote: The average life of a human in Star Wars based on Leia's estimate about Han is ~120 years before major problems start arising, and something about Force users makes them live slightly longer than the average, so it's completely possible that Luke could die of old age.
Nothing stopping them from doing that of course. My only problem with an old age death is how relatively young his force ghost is when they use it in those comics. Going by the movies the force ghosts tend to favor the Jedi's last sense of 'true identity'(I lack a better term) given how young they made Anakin's after Episode 3 was out and when they modified the end of Episode 6 to suit. Of course, I'm not the most knowledgeable of the intricacies on how they work their canon so I have no clue how much attention they'll pay to that.
Darth Yan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Yan »

It's largely due to the appearence of Abeloth, an obscenely powerful eldritch abomination who seeks to control all the galaxy. Also these sith are more well intentioned extremists. They feel that the galaxy (and the world they lord over) need strong leadership. As I said back when this first plot point was introduced, it would either be really original or really stupid. Although my father also found the idea ridiculous when I mentioned it. Still, it could actually work.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Havok wrote:And you guys keep buying this garbage why?
Don't look at me; Millennium Falcon stands as my last EU purchase unless Luceno pens another book. 8)
Darth Yan wrote:It's largely due to the appearence of Abeloth, an obscenely powerful eldritch abomination who seeks to control all the galaxy. Also these sith are more well intentioned extremists. They feel that the galaxy (and the world they lord over) need strong leadership. As I said back when this first plot point was introduced, it would either be really original or really stupid. Although my father also found the idea ridiculous when I mentioned it. Still, it could actually work.
I'm just sick of the Sith at this point. They've become for Del Rey what the Imps/Super Weapons were for Bantam. Suffice it to say, I'm missing the Yuuzhan Vong more and more these days.
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

JME2 wrote:
Havok wrote:And you guys keep buying this garbage why?
Don't look at me; Millennium Falcon stands as my last EU purchase unless Luceno pens another book. 8)
Did you read that book with the crazy title, Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor I believe it was called? Was it any good?
Darth Yan wrote:I'm just sick of the Sith at this point. They've become for Del Rey what the Imps/Super Weapons were for Bantam. Suffice it to say, I'm missing the Yuuzhan Vong more and more these days.
Hey, I hear you - I'm a Zahn fanboy. :)
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Stofsk wrote:Did you read that book with the crazy title, Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor I believe it was called? Was it any good?
Stover's my second favorite EU writer; I've been meaning to pick it up once my library gets it, but the reviews here on SDN were generally positive, IIRC.
Darth Yan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Yan »

well the sith aren't the big bads, which is a point in their favor. and luke's actually using vestara as a sort of hostage to keep them from doublecrossing him (from what he's seen the sith actually give a rats ass about family.)
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Darth Yan wrote:well the sith aren't the big bads, which is a point in their favor. and luke's actually using vestara as a sort of hostage to keep them from doublecrossing him (from what he's seen the sith actually give a rats ass about family.)
Good points. But I'm still sick of the Sith overall.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Darth Yan wrote:well the sith aren't the big bads, which is a point in their favor. and luke's actually using vestara as a sort of hostage to keep them from doublecrossing him (from what he's seen the sith actually give a rats ass about family.)
So, the Jedi take hostages now? :roll:
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Darth Yan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Yan »

It's more what anyone else would have done. Your dealing with a known treacherous race that won't hesitate to doublecross you? I would have done the same thing. It's as more as an unfortunate but necessary evil
Darth Yan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Yan »

it's also been implied that Callista will show up in either Allies or Vortex. And Luke will have to meet Akanah in book 6. AWKWARRRRRD!!!!!!!!!!
Darth Yan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Yan »

Things first:

Jaina and Jagged end the engagment for the time being because things are too awkward, and the conflict of interest is too strong.

Luke and the Sith fight Abeloth. It's also revealed that Abeloth murdered Callista years ago and absorbed her; she actually pretends to be callista to fool luke but luke sees through the illusion and attacks her. She seemingly dies, but the blurb for Conviction reveals that she survived. Ben duels Garver Khai, and the fighting is inconlusive. Bwuatu dies, and it ends with a recording of when Tahiri murdered palleon playing during her trial. I actually felt that it was a very well written and kind of tragic scene; tahiri now seems like a monster to the jury, even though the reader knows it's tearing her apart. For all it's weaknesses, the series still does have quite a bit of potential left to it. In short, it might actually save the EU.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Again, it looks like they're trying to repair the damage and laziness inflicted by LOTF. Not bad, but I'm on the outskirts of the EU these days.