Worst EU NOVEL

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Coiler
Jedi Knight

Re: Worst EU NOVEL

Post by Coiler »

I've just read Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter. That POS book is now my least favorite EU novel. An outcome that is never in doubt due to it preceding TPM, idiotic and contradictory characterization, and general bad writing makes it easily the worst EU novel I've read.
Visitor of five museum ships.
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

I also blame KJA, not for poor writing I did not mind reading his books, but for starting the whole “Bigger, Bader and Better” scenario. The whole super-weapon of the week, made me sick. And the concept of the “Suncrusher” using a Torp too take out a sun, was plainly painful.
What's even more irritating about it is that it's not like KJA was lacking for subject material - he had the whole issue of setting up and running a Jedi Academy to work with, plus that idiot Daala running around (hell, you could probably combine the events of the Jedi Academy Series and Darksaber into the same series, or even one book). Instead, he decided to do this whole stupid thing with the Suncrusher.

I know a lot of people hate I,Jedi, but Stackpole, in my opinion, did a much better job of showing the development of the Jedi Academy in half a book than KJA did in three.

Eleas wrote:
Imperial Overlord wrote:
Eleas wrote:. After all, Stackpole was the guy who actually had to beg his readers to buy more of his books to be able to pay his rent, a telling (if pathetic) episode.
What? Tell me more of this. Feed my Stackpole hate.
Mwahaha. Oh man, you'll love this then. After all, 'tis better to show than tell.
That's unusually blunt for a well-published author. There are a lot of better fantasy and sci-fi authors who would love to sell 250,000- 750,000 copies of a franchise's book, or even 30,000 copies of their own books. Did Stackpole just not manage his money or contracts that well?

That said, from what I've read, I wouldn't be surprised if his original novels didn't sell that great, aside from the name recognition favoritism for his franchised novels. The DragonCrown Series (of which the Dark Glory War is only the first installment) was nothing to write home about aside from the first book as mentioned as above (and even that went to shit in the last 40-50 pages). The other books in the series just got progressively worse, in my opinion, until the last book (The Grand Crusade) was just appallingly bad.

I'll second Darksaber for a worthless SW book. Aside from bad characters, generally bad plot, and so forth, the book was just utterly unnecessary; KJA could have easily combined it into the Jedi Academy Trilogy. The only bright side (which I enjoyed the most) were the Bevel Lemelisk sections, where you got to see him bitch at the incompetence of his employers.

I would nominate Karen Traviss's Bloodlines, but I didn't finish. The thing that really bugged me, though, is that she is terrible at giving characters their own unique "voices" within the story and the dialogue; they all sounded like Karen Traviss talking with unfunny sarcasm.
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
Ashka Boda
Redshirt

Post by Ashka Boda »

Either Tatooine Ghost or The Force Unleashed... I can't make up my mind. Probably TFU, if I absolutely had to pick one.

I have to say, though, I haven't finished Wild Space yet, but so far it blows like a hurricane. It's drawn out, boring, overly dramatic and absolutely pointless, not to mention all the mind-blowing continuity fuck-ups.

Did I miss a meeting? Since when does Anakin Skywalker become a Jedi Knight a few weeks into the war? Isn't Jedi Trial set six months before ROTS? I could understand if they wanted to move it a little, but to change something this major by a margin of two and a half years is just insane. And does this mean that the entire The Clone Wars series is supposed to happen in the first months of the Clone Wars? That Anakin was training a padawan almost from the outset of the war? God, I hope they kill Tano in some incredibly excruciating way. I mean, killing her is the only way to fix all this.

How could someone write a SW novel and not be informed of the Eeth Koth debate? And didn't they eventually decide to kill the guy at Geonosis, like the DK book said? It pisses me off, the incredibly small amount of fact-checking required to get stuff like this wrong. Who is this Miller woman, anyway? The back page photo makes her look like a sassy suburban Illinois hausfrau, and the text says that she's written SG1 novels. Are they picking these people off the streets now? The book is dedicated to Ewan McGregor, of all people... although it could have been worse. It could have been dedicated to Hayden Christensen... or Jake Lloyd.
Kurgan
Sith Marauder

Post by Kurgan »

Dark Saber. I didn't so much hate it, as was just really disappointed by it. I didn't actively HATE any of the SW novels I read back in those days, but then I guess my standards were pretty low, and I deliberately avoided any of the books that got really bad reviews from fans around me.

Back in the day (pre-1997) I felt I OWED it to myself to read each Star Wars novel I came across. Now I don't even care.
fun/fantasy movies existed before the overrated Star Wars came out. What made it seem 'less dark' was the sheer goofy aspect of it: two robots modeled on Laurel & Hardy, and a smartass outlaw with bigfoot co-pilot and their hotrod pizza-shaped ship, and they were sucked aboard a giant Disco Ball. -adw1
Someone asked me yesterday if Dracula met Saruman and there was a fight, who would win. I just looked at this man. What an idiotic thing to say. I mean really, it was half-witted. - Christopher Lee

JKA Server 2024
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Ashka Boda wrote:Either Tatooine Ghost or The Force Unleashed... I can't make up my mind. Probably TFU, if I absolutely had to pick one.
Interesting. Prior to this I'd heard nothing but good things about this one. Whats so bad about it? Or Did Dark Nest turn everyone against all Dennings work?
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

Kurgan wrote:Dark Saber. I didn't so much hate it, as was just really disappointed by it. I didn't actively HATE any of the SW novels I read back in those days, but then I guess my standards were pretty low, and I deliberately avoided any of the books that got really bad reviews from fans around me.

Back in the day (pre-1997) I felt I OWED it to myself to read each Star Wars novel I came across. Now I don't even care.
I actually felt the same way a long time back. I made a list of all the Star Wars novels, and started down that list, including following the chronology (I read all the way from the Han Solo novels to Vector Prime without interruption).
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
Darth Yan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Yan »

tattoine ghost is a god idea but i kind of skimmed through it. the parts i read weren't overly bad though
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

Going through this, I'm glad I gave up on the EU long ago. It seems like almost everything has been mentioned... :?
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Grrr! Fight my Brute, you pansy!
Jade Falcon
Jedi Council Member

Post by Jade Falcon »

Guardsman Bass wrote:I actually felt the same way a long time back. I made a list of all the Star Wars novels, and started down that list, including following the chronology (I read all the way from the Han Solo novels to Vector Prime without interruption).
Ditto here, I gave up at Vector Prime.
Don't Move you're surrounded by Armed Bastards - Gene Hunt's attempt at Diplomacy

I will not make any deals with you. I've resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own - Number 6

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.
Coiler
Jedi Knight

Post by Coiler »

Guardsman Bass wrote: I actually felt the same way a long time back. I made a list of all the Star Wars novels, and started down that list, including following the chronology (I read all the way from the Han Solo novels to Vector Prime without interruption).
I read everything up to Vision of the Future, skipped right to TUF, then swore not to read anything that occurred after that chronologically. If the reviews of LotF are any indication, I made a good choice.
Visitor of five museum ships.
Darth Hoth
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Hoth »

I read through everything from Marvel Star Wars up to the Dark Nest trilogy. Nothing set after that, or during the Traviss-dominated Clone Wars, is of any concern to me, other than as objects of hatred. I admit to becoming mildly interested in LotF, briefly, but YodaKenobi's review at TFN thankfully changed my mind.
"But there's no story past Episode VI, there's just no story. It's a certain story about Anakin Skywalker and once Anakin Skywalker dies, that's kind of the end of the story. There is no story about Luke Skywalker, I mean apart from the books."

-George "Evil" Lucas
Kurgan
Sith Marauder

Post by Kurgan »

I will admit I haven't read everything in that period I mentioned either.

About the only EU novel series I have any interest in reading at this point is the "Han Solo Trilogy" (the original one), though one of my best friends (a hardcore Star Wars junkie at the time) told me even he couldn't get through them all, as they were rather boring.

But I do have a slight interest in seeing how "Star Wars was imagined" back in the early days, before all of the Lucas revisionism and the explosion of the EU materials, and since I've already read Splinter of the Mind's Eye and Zahn's early trilogy, and the movie novelizations... what's left? Maybe the Lando Calrissian books. But, despite all this, my backlog of reading lists includes a lot of stuff I'd rather read than some Star Wars EU. I think I've gotten my "fill" of that literature, perhaps to last a lifetime.
fun/fantasy movies existed before the overrated Star Wars came out. What made it seem 'less dark' was the sheer goofy aspect of it: two robots modeled on Laurel & Hardy, and a smartass outlaw with bigfoot co-pilot and their hotrod pizza-shaped ship, and they were sucked aboard a giant Disco Ball. -adw1
Someone asked me yesterday if Dracula met Saruman and there was a fight, who would win. I just looked at this man. What an idiotic thing to say. I mean really, it was half-witted. - Christopher Lee

JKA Server 2024
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Your friend is a moron. Daley's Han Solo trilogy is one of the highlights of the EU and stands head and shoulders above most of the stuff written post TTT.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Kurgan
Sith Marauder

Post by Kurgan »

Well, to be fair, he told me this back in the summer of 1997, so he was judging it based on what was out at the time (he had just about everything).

If you're right, that's encouraging, if I ever get the time to read 'em.

JKA Server 2024
Jade Falcon
Jedi Council Member

Post by Jade Falcon »

Even the newer Han Solo trilogy isn't that bad.
Don't Move you're surrounded by Armed Bastards - Gene Hunt's attempt at Diplomacy

I will not make any deals with you. I've resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own - Number 6

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.
Pelranius
Sith Marauder

Post by Pelranius »

Jade Falcon wrote:Even the newer Han Solo trilogy isn't that bad.
Bria Tharen really got on my nerves though. Wasn't sorry to see her go in the last book, if you're referring to Crispin's work.
Turns out that a five way cross over between It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, the Ali G Show, Fargo, Idiocracy and Veep is a lot less funny when you're actually living in it.
Ashka Boda
Redshirt

Post by Ashka Boda »

Crazedwraith wrote:
Ashka Boda wrote:Either Tatooine Ghost or The Force Unleashed... I can't make up my mind. Probably TFU, if I absolutely had to pick one.
Interesting. Prior to this I'd heard nothing but good things about this one. Whats so bad about it? Or Did Dark Nest turn everyone against all Dennings work?
I actually didn't mind Dark Nest so much, but Denning has a kind of shallow, pulpy sensibility that I don't really care for. In Star By Star, it was okay to be really grandiose and epic like he always is, but Tatooine Ghost is about finding a painting, for God's sake, even though Denning tried to justify the whole thing by saying an encryption key or something was hidden in it.

That wasn't my main problem with it, though. The story was completely disjointed, almost like it was improvised as he was writing it. It had the feel of a badly edited work of fanfiction.

If someone shot Denning right now, it would probably be for killing off Anakin Solo, which I actually thought was pretty cool. What I feel he should be shot for was creating Jae Juun, Tarfang and those pesky Squibs, the five most pretentiously irritating and unfunny comic relief characters Star Wars has ever seen, and that's going up against some pretty stiff competition.
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

Denning had no choice on the death of Anakin Solo - it was an order from the top, apparently, in the Lucas-related company.
-Jean-Luc Picard

-Margaret Atwood
DrMckay
Jedi Master

Post by DrMckay »

Why kill him though? "For teh gritty?" As annoying as the Solo kids were, I liked Anakin's struggle with being named after his grandfather.

If anything, Philosopher-boy (Jacen) shoulda been the one to get it in the neck, showing that they were truly at war, and tempting the surviving siblings to the Dark Side. Jacen was an idiot.

Also, can someone please explain the killing Chewie in Vector Prime? Was that for "Teh Gritty as well?"
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Guard your honor. Let your reputation fall where it will. And outlive the bastards."
~Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
AO3 Link | FFN Link
Eleas
Jaina Dax

Post by Eleas »

DrMckay wrote:Also, can someone please explain the killing Chewie in Vector Prime? Was that for "Teh Gritty as well?"
It was, basically. It was felt that they wanted Chewie to "go out fighting," if I recall correctly, so to end that character and introduce a whole new chapter for the Star Wars universe, they chose for an author... R.A. Salvatore.

Yeah.
Björn Paulsen

"Travelers with closed minds can tell us little except about themselves."
--Chinua Achebe
DrMckay
Jedi Master

Post by DrMckay »

he didn't go out fighting, he died by act of plot...
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Guard your honor. Let your reputation fall where it will. And outlive the bastards."
~Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
AO3 Link | FFN Link
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

Eleas wrote:
DrMckay wrote:Also, can someone please explain the killing Chewie in Vector Prime? Was that for "Teh Gritty as well?"
It was, basically. It was felt that they wanted Chewie to "go out fighting," if I recall correctly, so to end that character and introduce a whole new chapter for the Star Wars universe, they chose for an author... R.A. Salvatore.

Yeah.
It wasn't a bad introductory novel, if I recall correctly (I've read worse in the EU), but I would hardly count having a moon fall down on him "going out fighting".

As for Anakin Solo, didn't Lucas himself actually ask for that, because he thought people might confuse Anakin Solo with his Anakin?
-Jean-Luc Picard

-Margaret Atwood
Eleas
Jaina Dax

Post by Eleas »

Guardsman Bass wrote: It wasn't a bad introductory novel, if I recall correctly (I've read worse in the EU), but I would hardly count having a moon fall down on him "going out fighting".
Actually, I have to agree. In fact, I'd rate it as the best I've seen of Salvatore's work (although that's not saying much; I haven't read much more than the wretched Demon Apostle novel, plus some choice excerpts of Drizzt wankery). The problem isn't that Salvatore wrote a novel, it's that they chose an author like Salvatore to set the tone for a new era of Star Wars in the first place, and one that gambled a lot with the Star Wars formula to boot. You want a spectacular writer for that, not a second- or third-rate one.
Björn Paulsen

"Travelers with closed minds can tell us little except about themselves."
--Chinua Achebe
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

James Luceno probably would have been a better choice (although I don't know if Lucasbooks had even heard of him at that point). He writes pretty good "transition" Star Wars novels, like Labyrinth of Evil (which was pretty much a set-up for Revenge of the Sith).
-Jean-Luc Picard

-Margaret Atwood
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Guardsman Bass wrote:As for Anakin Solo, didn't Lucas himself actually ask for that, because he thought people might confuse Anakin Solo with his Anakin?
As I recall it, yes. We are obviously too stupid to figure it out.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"