Worst EU Author

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Who is the WORST EU Author?

Poll ended at 2007-12-19 12:09am

K J Asshole
34%
Mike Hackpole
2%
Barbara "What the Fuck is This Shit" Hambly
14%
Karen Travissty
47%
Other
3%

Total votes: 118

Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

If memory serves it is explicitly stated in the novels that simply participating a Death Star battle gains you the right to have the DS patch on your fighter.

And KJA. On account of not having read any of her stuff I can't comment on Traviss' qualities as an author. While reports certainly indicate the EU would have been better off without her I will not pass judgement on work I never read.

And while The Crystal Star WAS bad like nobody's business, it's effect on the rest of the EU was-well there wasn't any, actually. Whereas KJA's stuff poisoned the EU from the word go.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Anguirus
Sith Marauder

Post by Anguirus »

Too bad Stackpole decided to overshadow Wedge with his own Gary Stu.
Um...I don't follow. Wedge is as important a character in the X-wing books as Corran. And in I, Jedi Corran, while undercover, and despite heavy use of the Force, is outflown and nearly obliterated by Tycho Celchu, who is like Wedge's sidekick.

Honestly, I rather like Stackpole's characters AND plotlines. It is his craftsmanship that sucks. The ends of his chapters are always, ALWAYS some huge and dramatic pronouncement from a character that sounds absolutely ridiculous. And I agree that many of his secondary characters are so poorly developed they might as well be absent. Still, I give him props for some clever plotlines (particularly Wedge's Gamble and Isard's Revenge) and highly effective moments (the death of Elegos in one of the early books of the NJO).
"I spit on metaphysics, sir."

"I pity the woman you marry." -Liberty

This is the guy they want to use to win over "young people?" Are they completely daft? I'd rather vote for a pile of shit than a Jesus freak social regressive.
Here's hoping that his political career goes down in flames and, hopefully, a hilarious gay sex scandal.
-Tanasinn
You can't expect sodomy to ruin every conservative politician in this country. -Battlehymn Republic
My blog, please check out and comment! http://decepticylon.blogspot.com
consequences
Homicidal Maniac

Post by consequences »

Shadowtraveler wrote:
consequences wrote:As long as you ignore the fact that he doesn't develop certain pilots at all for four books and then offs them. Seriously, there's exactly one Rogue with more than a couple sentences of story and interaction that he killed who didn't get brought back from the dead(and she gets replaced by her sister who then promptly recieves no screen time), and that holds true through Isaard's Revenge as well.
What about the wolfman? He didn't even get a line of dialogue in any of the books.

All in all, Stackpole isn't bad, but he's responsible for the "I'm Wedge Antilles, I can do ANYTHING!!!" trend. And the "we're Imperials, mwahahaha, mustache twirl" trend.
IIRC, he was speculated to have a death sentence on his head in the first book. Other than that, Shiel the Shistavenen got basically nothing until he got killed in book four. And I don't think Gavin even devoted a line to thinking 'Damn, my wingman of so long got killed, that sucks, I wish he would have talked once in a while so I could have got to know him better'.

He also has Wedge memory wipe a droid with a healthy fear of dying rather than disabling its speaker, and have a civilian murdering piece of terrorist shit on speed-dial.
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

Stackpole, however, does suffer from the "OMG Back from the DEAD" syndromn. You literally need multiple hands to count the number of characters who are pronounced dead only to re-appear either a chapter or a book later. Christ he killed Isard and then brough her back 4 books later. Still he was willing to off one or two characters (though minor) and did a generally fine job of playing up the Wedge vs Salm angle over Tycho which alone puts him leauges above KJA. That said any Gary Stu who out Jedi's Luke and outflys most of Rouge Squadron is just wankery in action and deserves to be mocked.
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
Anguirus
Sith Marauder

Post by Anguirus »

I'll never understand why anyone thinks Horn proved conclusively superior to Luke. They had a sparring contest/argument that Horn "won." However, Luke could crush him with his little finger...he just chooses not to do so. He is also about as telekinetic as I am, and he was just plain idiotic at several points in "I, Jedi" (i.e. forgetting that Exar Kun could manipulate matter).

This is the guy they want to use to win over "young people?" Are they completely daft? I'd rather vote for a pile of shit than a Jesus freak social regressive.
Here's hoping that his political career goes down in flames and, hopefully, a hilarious gay sex scandal.
-Tanasinn
You can't expect sodomy to ruin every conservative politician in this country. -Battlehymn Republic
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Anguirus wrote:I'll never understand why anyone thinks Horn proved conclusively superior to Luke. They had a sparring contest/argument that Horn "won." However, Luke could crush him with his little finger...he just chooses not to do so. He is also about as telekinetic as I am, and he was just plain idiotic at several points in "I, Jedi" (i.e. forgetting that Exar Kun could manipulate matter).
QFT. Its very clear in Stackpole's books that Corran's a flawed character, arrogant and presumptuous and when all is said a done a mediocre Jedi, he gets his ass kicked at the end of every Stackpole book where he is a Jedi for example.

And for people who whine that he's and awesome pilot as well as being a Jedi? Well duh! name me one Jedi who isn't at least a passable fighter pilot. Even Obi-Wan Kenobi, who hates flying, is said to be awesome. Flighter abillities come almost part and parcel with Jedi reflexes.
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

Crazedwraith wrote:
Anguirus wrote:I'll never understand why anyone thinks Horn proved conclusively superior to Luke. They had a sparring contest/argument that Horn "won." However, Luke could crush him with his little finger...he just chooses not to do so. He is also about as telekinetic as I am, and he was just plain idiotic at several points in "I, Jedi" (i.e. forgetting that Exar Kun could manipulate matter).
QFT. Its very clear in Stackpole's books that Corran's a flawed character, arrogant and presumptuous and when all is said a done a mediocre Jedi, he gets his ass kicked at the end of every Stackpole book where he is a Jedi for example.
Best example being the penultimate chapter of "I,Jedi" where Corran's grand "final stand" against the Jenasarrii assasains is him holding Luke's cloak and gawping like a guppy fish :LOL:.
And for people who whine that he's and awesome pilot as well as being a Jedi? Well duh! name me one Jedi who isn't at least a passable fighter pilot. Even Obi-Wan Kenobi, who hates flying, is said to be awesome. Flighter abillities come almost part and parcel with Jedi reflexes.
As does Precognition. Reflexes, and the time and (Armoured) luxury to use Precognition well (as well as mind reading, though that can back-fire as Tycho showed) make even the most mediocre Jedi pilots opponents to be feared, what with their being superhuman and in an excellent position to use it.
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

DEATH wrote:
Crazedwraith wrote:
Best example being the penultimate chapter of "I,Jedi" where Corran's grand "final stand" against the Jenasarrii assasains is him holding Luke's cloak and gawping like a guppy fish :LOL:.
And, as I recall from his little duel with Luke, the only reason he was doing even half as well as he was was because Luke wasn't really into it. Once he started paying attention it was all over (and Luke showed he could put a stop to Corran any time he wanted to with his TK).
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Peptuck
Is Not A Moderator

Post by Peptuck »

The only thing Corran really has going for him is that energy redirection Force power of his. It makes him pretty damn powerful when he can "plug into" a sufficiently powerful energy source, but otherwise he's a jobber-tier Jedi.
X-COM: Defending Earth by blasting the shit out of it.

Writers are people, and people are stupid. So, a large chunk of them have the IQ of beach pebbles. ~fgalkin

You're complaining that the story isn't the kind you like. That's like me bitching about the lack of ninjas in Robin Hood. ~CaptainChewbacca
Anguirus
Sith Marauder

Post by Anguirus »

^ And even though that's his specialty, he's not as good at it as Vader. Granted, few should be as good at anything as Vader, but the point is that Horn was never written to be top-tier, even in his alleged specialty.

-Tanasinn
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

Horn was also never really the best pilot in Rogue Squadron. He was good, but as I recall, Wedge prooves he's the man when he takes out Corran fairly effortlessly in the first book during the sims, and even after having years to build up his skills and Jedi abilities, he's still shitting in his pants when he ends up in Tycho's box o' death. He is most certainly an author insert, but he certainly isn't one who is actually better than everybody else.
What is Project Zohar?

Here's to a certain mostly harmless nutcase.
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Is I, Jedi worth reading?
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

NecronLord wrote:Is I, Jedi worth reading?
Depends it seemed pretty good when I read it. Granted that was about eight years ago now...
Anguirus
Sith Marauder

Post by Anguirus »

^ Yes. The book drags a bit when it rehashes the Jedi Academy Trilogy (but manages to retroactively make it more entertaining than Anderson did) but really picks up when it gets to Corran Horn combining his investigative and Jedi skills to go off on his own and find his wife.

(I just can't STAND the way the chapters end! ARRRGH! It's like it's cutting to a commercial break!)

-Tanasinn
Androsphinx
Jedi Knight

Post by Androsphinx »

As noted above, I, Jedi does have the benefit of telling the story of the Jedi Academy much better than Anderson managed
"what huge and loathsome abnormality was the Sphinx originally carven to represent? Accursed is the sight, be it in dream or not, that revealed to me the supreme horror - the Unknown God of the Dead, which licks its colossal chops in the unsuspected abyss, fed hideous morsels by soulless absurdities that should not exist" - Harry Houdini "Under the Pyramids"

"The goal of science is to substitute facts for appearances and demonstrations for impressions" - John Ruskin, "Stones of Venice"
Darth Yoshi
Metroid

Post by Darth Yoshi »

And like him or not, IIRC at least Horn recognizes how fucked up it is that Kyp Durron essentially gets off with a slap on the wrist for Carida, and calls Luke out on it.
Fragment of the Lord of Nightmares, release thy heavenly retribution. Blade of cold, black nothingness: become my power, become my body. Together, let us walk the path of destruction and smash even the souls of the Gods! RAGNA BLADE!
Lore Monkey | the Pichu-master™
Secularism—since AD 80
Av: Elika; Prince of Persia
Davey
Padawan Learner

Post by Davey »

I've often wondered if the writers themselves are lousy hacks, or are just trying to gear their stuff to the lowest common denominator for maximum selling potential and profit.

Given that how many stores and libraries carry their books, I'm not sure what to believe.
"Oh SHIT!" generally means I fucked up.
Mad
Jedi Council Member

Post by Mad »

Crazedwraith wrote:Its very clear in Stackpole's books that Corran's a flawed character, arrogant and presumptuous and when all is said a done a mediocre Jedi, he gets his ass kicked at the end of every Stackpole book where he is a Jedi for example.
Like when he nearly died (and would have if it wasn't for others in the area) because he was overconfident in attempting to use his Jedi abilities while untrained in The Bacta War?
Later...
Battlehymn Republic
Jedi Council Member

Post by Battlehymn Republic »

Wait, if he's really not quite so bad as the hype would make you believe, isn't Corran Horn just one of those things in the EU that gets bashed because people who haven't actually checked out the actual media think it's bad? Kind of like Empire at War: Forces of Corruption (story-wise) and the Legacy comics.
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

Darth Yoshi wrote:And like him or not, IIRC at least Horn recognizes how fucked up it is that Kyp Durron essentially gets off with a slap on the wrist for Carida, and calls Luke out on it.
YES
JADAFETWA
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

NecronLord wrote:Is I, Jedi worth reading?
Yes. First off, it gives a much better depiction of the Jedi Academy events in KJA's Jedi Academy series. Second, while people like to claim that Corran is a Gary Stu (and I think he probably is part authorial insert), he's far from perfect, as mentioned above. Luke basically bitchslaps him once he gets serious in a testing duel they are having with TK (I think Corran describes it as like running straight into a solid wall), and Corran nearly gets manhandled by a group of force-users since he can't use TK.
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
Ritterin Sophia
Sith Acolyte

Post by Ritterin Sophia »

Battlehymn Republic wrote:Wait, if he's really not quite so bad as the hype would make you believe, isn't Corran Horn just one of those things in the EU that gets bashed because people who haven't actually checked out the actual media think it's bad? Kind of like Empire at War: Forces of Corruption (story-wise) and the Legacy comics.
EaW: FoC actually does have a retarded story, because it completely leaves out that KDY has it's own defense fleet in addition to the one the Empire stationed there and should be able to repulse a pirate fleet with ease. Counter to that, Legacy gets a bad name from sharing a similair name to a set of novels that Karen Traviss co-authored, people assuming that the Imperial Knights are Quinlon Vos-style Jedi's rather than just not giving a shit about dark or light side, and then there's the whole Krayt being Hett thing, which isn't nearly as bad when you actually think it through.
A Certain Clique, HAB, The Chroniclers
Battlehymn Republic
Jedi Council Member

Post by Battlehymn Republic »

The quality of the plot of the game is debatable, but what I was referring to was how much it affects the universe. When properly analyzed, the game's new faction doesn't destroy canon as everyone was saying it would.
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

and then there's the whole Krayt being Hett thing, which isn't nearly as bad when you actually think it through.
Yes, because a 150 year old bad idea for a character really brings it all together doesn't it? I should have put more of the comic writers in the poll just for that atrocity.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Ritterin Sophia
Sith Acolyte

Post by Ritterin Sophia »

Darth Fanboy wrote:
and then there's the whole Krayt being Hett thing, which isn't nearly as bad when you actually think it through.
Yes, because a 150 year old bad idea for a character really brings it all together doesn't it? I should have put more of the comic writers in the poll just for that atrocity.
What about him is a bad idea for a character?
A Certain Clique, HAB, The Chroniclers