Chalk up sucess of YV invasion to NR incompetence?

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

WTF?!?!!? That is TOTALLY uncalled for!

*Turn to Sith God.* You are a troll. Die, troll. *fires blaster*

*Turns to User099* As for you.... *slaps 099 on the cheek. 099 runs off crying.*

Anyway, I've noticed a problem w/YV technology. Consider the following:

Control Tower: You're coming in too fast!
Y-wing pilot: Oh, crap!
Y-wing hits ground, bounces, then grinds to a stop.
---------------
Control Tower: You're coming in too fast!
Coralskipper pilot: Oh, crap!
SPLAT......
JADAFETWA
Darth Gojira
Jedi Master

Post by Darth Gojira »

IG-88E wrote:Thracken, Han's cousin? Thracken Sal-Solo? He was in the Corellian Trilogy. In NJO, Anakin hesitated to use Centerpoint Station as a strategic weapon. Thracken grabbed the controls and ended up wiping out both a YV fleet and the Hapan fleet!

As to the gun, thanks...I needed that. *Pulls bullet out of head, reloads it. Now then, to business!

I'm with you!!!!! (Picks up axe, tries to find Salvadore's house)
Hokey masers and giant robots are no match for a good kaiju at your side, kid
Post #666: 5-24-03, 8:26 am (Hey, why not?)
Do you not believe in Thor, the Viking Thunder God? If not, then do you consider your state of disbelief in Thor to be a religion? Are you an AThorist?-Darth Wong on Atheism as a religion
Captain Cyran
Psycho Mini-lop

Post by Captain Cyran »

IG-88E wrote:And it's not just Chewy! Anakin! Anakin freaking Solo gets killed off! And that lousy goon Thracken gets put in charge of Corellia?!?!?!?
Yep.....New Republic are dumbasses...putting Thracken in charge, the guy who killed how many people?....One can only think that the NR won't make it past this.
Justice League, Super-Villain Carnage "Carnage Rules!" Cult of the Kitten Mew... The Black Mage with The Knife SD.Net Chronicler of the Past Bun Bun is my hero. The Official Verilonitis Vaccinator
Darth Yoshi
Metroid

Post by Darth Yoshi »

Actually, the NR is, for most intents and purposes, dead. I mean, the Advisory council consists entirely of anti-Jedi and appeasement advocates. They even tried to kill off the entire Fleet group three! A third of the NR fleet! I just hope the council gets sacrificed or something.
Fragment of the Lord of Nightmares, release thy heavenly retribution. Blade of cold, black nothingness: become my power, become my body. Together, let us walk the path of destruction and smash even the souls of the Gods! RAGNA BLADE!
Lore Monkey | the Pichu-master™
Secularism—since AD 80
Av: Elika; Prince of Persia
Mr. B
Jedi Knight

Post by Mr. B »

One thing is for sure. The Empire would have crushed the YV at the Rim and then went on to burn their entire home galaxy to the ground.
"I got so high last night I figured out how clouds work." - the miracle of marijuana

Legalize It!

Proud Member of the local 404 Professional Cynics Union.

"Every Revolution carries within it the seeds of its own destruction."-Dune
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

No, I don't think so, Mr. B. The Empire would have been able to crush their vanguards, but I keep hearing that they have several hundred worldships. I don't know if even the Empire could have stood up to that kind of a force. On the other hand, they would have done better than the NR is doing.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Empire has
Better Captial Ships
Better Super-weapons of doom....!
Better Command Structor and Commanders
More Crazy Jedi Masters than you can shake a stick at(*cloning)
Force Blocking Alien Lizards
Under Thrawn at least it had all this nice cool stuff...

NR Has
Two Good Commanders(Who where Imperal Trained, Ibus and Ackbar)
Better Star-Fighters(General speaking)
Umm Luke... And Co.. I guess
The only man able to beat a ripped Shirt Kirk... SOLO!
Planet of da Wookies who saddly don't get out as much as they need to

I'd say the Empire lead by Thrawn right at the begining of TLC could kick Vog arse all the way back to wherever they came from easily
Numerical Advantage is allways a temporarly thing when you have tons of ship-yards and Thrawn to command the ships

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Plus, with Thrawn in charge, they never would have stopped building capital ships and designing new models like they did in the NR. He would have built far more ships to throw at the YV. I don't think it would have been an easy victory for him, and I don't think he could have kept the YV out of the galaxy, but I DO think he would have stopped them before they reached the Core worlds, and maybe even prevented them from taking Ithor. After their waves from outside the galaxy had died down, he would have pushed them back straight to the Rim.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

willburns84
Padawan Learner

Post by willburns84 »

Yes, the Empire would have utterly crushed the Vong in only a few battles. The naked power of tens of thousands of capital ships with uncounted millions of smaller vessels, not to mention fighter craft.

The Empire has nigh limitless resources to draw upon, both in terms of personnel and materiel with which to feed their colossal war machine. Even if Vong tech was decided to be marginally superior, sheer numbers would eventually crush the Vong. To hell with their worldships. A few ISD's can pound one into oblivion in relatively short order even if there are the ultra retarded black hole shields...
"Fleet admirals have it made. They only have to worry about the success of their subordinates, their Moff, and guys whose name beings with Lord."
-Captain Seledrood (deceased)
"Iron within! Iron without!"
Darth Yoshi
Metroid

Post by Darth Yoshi »

Mr Bean wrote:I'd say the Empire lead by Thrawn right at the begining of TLC could kick Vog arse all the way back to wherever they came from easily
Numerical Advantage is allways a temporarly thing when you have tons of ship-yards and Thrawn to command the ships
No kidding. Thrawn wasted the best of the Pre-Clone Wars troops sent by Palpatine with just six Patrol Boats. How's that for genius?
Fragment of the Lord of Nightmares, release thy heavenly retribution. Blade of cold, black nothingness: become my power, become my body. Together, let us walk the path of destruction and smash even the souls of the Gods! RAGNA BLADE!
Secularism—since AD 80
paladin
Jedi Master

Post by paladin »

Darth Yoshi wrote:Actually, the NR is, for most intents and purposes, dead. I mean, the Advisory council consists entirely of anti-Jedi and appeasement advocates. They even tried to kill off the entire Fleet group three! A third of the NR fleet! I just hope the council gets sacrificed or something.
I guess this would be where we could see a new empire raising with Anakin Solo as emperor.
Darth Yoshi
Metroid

Post by Darth Yoshi »

Fascinating. I will have meditate on this.
Secularism—since AD 80
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

I hope the Advisory Council takes Jacen with them, when they go to hell.

BTW, I have heard from some friends of mine (who have a friend....) that the NR IS going to go the way of the Dodo. Actually, I have some friends who would be able to tell me. :D

Darth Yoshi
Metroid

Post by Darth Yoshi »

Nuh-uh. We've lost enough Solos already. Don't give Han something else to not live for.
Secularism—since AD 80
Soontir C'boath
SG-14: Fuck the Medic!
Location: Queens, NYC I DON'T FUCKING CARE IF MANHATTEN IS CONSIDERED NYC!! I'M IN IT ASSHOLE!!!

Post by Soontir C'boath »

Plus to the fact that SW main Chars.. are not immune to that invulnerable thingamajig. Kill off Lando he's practically not written one bit in NJO.

Cyaround,
Jason
I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season."
Darth Yoshi
Metroid

Post by Darth Yoshi »

No kidding. He's only appeared in Vector Prime.
Secularism—since AD 80
TheDarkling
Sith Marauder

Post by TheDarkling »

Darth Yoshi: He appeared in more than that but he hasnt really done much.
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Darth Yoshi wrote:No kidding. He's only appeared in Vector Prime.
That's not true. Lando had a moderately important role in SbS, creating the YV droids, attempting to sell them, and later commanding a failed attempt to protect Coruscant.

Tychu
Jedi Master

NR vs Vong

Post by Tychu »

The miain problem i think with the New Republics lack of action against the Vong are all the things that were said in this message board put together. All problems can be taken from the non-human species that are in high ranking power in the NR. Just imagine what would happen if Palpatine was still in power and still on a force crusade. There are other problems besides the NR characters. the authors of the NJO seem to give Nom Anor many lives. he should have died many times in the NJO. The only time i was rooting for Borsk was when he knew he was going to die but wanted the Vong to make Tsavong Lah show himself to Borsk so he can blow up the building he was in and kill both him and Lah. I have one other thing to say, i want Boba Fett to show himself in the NJO before its through
"Boring Conversation anyway" Han Solo

"What kinda archeologist carries a weapon........Bad Example" Colonel Jack O'Neil

"My name is Olo... Hans Olo" -Dr. Daniel Jackson

"Well you did make the Farmingdale Run in less than 12 parsecs" --Personal Quote

"Just popped out for lunch" - Rowan Atkinson as Mr. Bean
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

I think the main problem with Jedi inaction is this:

"Oh my god(s, or no god, depending on which race is talking), they're killing everyone and sacrificing the prisoners to their own gods!"

"Maybe if we're reeeaaaallllly nice to them and just give them the galaxy, then they'll go away."

"Good plan, let's do it without consulting anybody else who might know more about the Yuuzhan Vong than we do, and who might try to talk us out of it!"

But you're right, Tychu, that is a problem.

BTW, welcome to Stardestroyer.net

Darth Yoshi
Metroid

Post by Darth Yoshi »

Master of Ossus wrote:
Darth Yoshi wrote:No kidding. He's only appeared in Vector Prime.
That's not true. Lando had a moderately important role in SbS, creating the YV droids, attempting to sell them, and later commanding a failed attempt to protect Coruscant.
Hey that's right. I totally forgot about SbS. I feel so stupid now. :oops:
Secularism—since AD 80
Darth Gojira
Jedi Master

GE whips YV like the Trekripoffs they are

Post by Darth Gojira »

Darth Yoshi wrote:
Mr Bean wrote:I'd say the Empire lead by Thrawn right at the begining of TLC could kick Vog arse all the way back to wherever they came from easily
No kidding. Thrawn wasted the best of the Pre-Clone Wars troops sent by Palpatine with just six Patrol Boats. How's that for genius?
Not exactly a tactical genius, huh? Thrawn is overrated
Hokey masers and giant robots are no match for a good kaiju at your side, kid
Post #666: 5-24-03, 8:26 am (Hey, why not?)
Do you not believe in Thor, the Viking Thunder God? If not, then do you consider your state of disbelief in Thor to be a religion? Are you an AThorist?-Darth Wong on Atheism as a religion
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

The Empire would have defeated the YV easily, as stated in Traitor. Grand Admiral Thrawn likely could have won, had he been able to take over the Galaxy instead of being killed by Ruuk.

Darth Garden Gnome
Official SD.Net Lawn Ornament

Post by Darth Garden Gnome »

Thawn, overrated? Yeah right! Anybody can make a mistake, and frankly I'd like to have seen any Imperial commander do better! It's only through sheer luck (and Leia, that meddling kid) that the entire galaxy didn't have to bow down and pledge their allegiance to a man named Thrawn!
Leader of the Secret Gnome Revolution
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

You don't seem to understand what Thrawn did. He massacred a larger force, made up of ships far more powerful than his own, without casualties. That is an enormous benefit to his forces. It is said that Napoleon might have been worth 10,000 men on the field. Thrawn puts Napoleon to shame. He is clearly a Force magnifier, by as much as ten or even thirty times.