Clone Wars series (SPOILERS)

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Re: Clone Wars series (SPOILERS)

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Anyone know where I can catch the new episodes on Canadian Cable TV? The Space Channle use to show them, but it looks like either they've taken them off or the time has changed.

Also, regarding Dooku's capture, while I haven't seen it yet, it doesn't really surprise me that much. Jedi have been shown to be vulnerable to groups of gun-weilding adversaries. Indeed, I could almost go so far as to say this is nessissary to counter the examples of obsene EU wanking of Force user combat powers (ie, The Force Unleashed, Dark Empire, some EU depictions of Master Luke, maybe the RoTS novelization). While I appreciate that a Jedi or Sith should be powerful, I find it annoying to see them exhibitting combat powers on a level that puts Star Destroyers to shame.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Well it's more a matter that Dooku let both his and Anakin's lightsabre somehow get taken away from him offscreen. Buggered if I know how that happened.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Serafina
Sith Acolyte

Post by Serafina »

How they took the lightsabers? Pickpocketing - they ARE thiefes, after all.

I think Dooku did not really pay attention - after all, he is a mighty sithlord, what could some thugs possibly do?
SoS:NBA GALE Force
"Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent." - Sir Nitram
"The world owes you nothing but painful lessons" - CaptainChewbacca
"The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of a mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one." - Wilhelm Stekel
"In 1969 it was easier to send a man to the Moon than to have the public accept a homosexual" - Broomstick

Divine Administration - of Gods and Bureaucracy (Worm/Exalted)
Braedley
Jedi Council Member

Post by Braedley »

The Romulan Republic wrote:Anyone know where I can catch the new episodes on Canadian Cable TV? The Space Channle use to show them, but it looks like either they've taken them off or the time has changed.
It was pre-empted last week by BSG Day. It's on again this weekend, but I think it's an episode that Space has already aired.
My brother and sister-in-law: "Do you know where milk comes from?"
My niece: "Yeah, from the fridge!"
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

I think Dooku did not really pay attention - after all, he is a mighty sithlord, what could some thugs possibly do?
True - arrogance matters. No one can credibly say it means much when we've got Anakin being able to forsee the flight path of Wessell's speeder in AotC that he hurled himself to his otherwise certain death if he didn't know exactly where she'd be.
Ender
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ender »

For those complaining about Dooku going down easily once surrounded by guys with guns, may I remind you that that is Order 66 in a nutshell?
بيرني كان سيفوز
Nuclear Navy Warwolf
in omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro
ipsa scientia potestas est
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Whoever plays Aayla Secura should get the voice checked. Suddenly Twi'leks speak like "generic east european accent?"

Whatever happened to "gravity well of a star will knock out hyperdrive?"

Also, Padawan Bratz is starting to annoy me. Suddenly she is the expert on fixing things as well?
'
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

It's a French accent - it was GL's decision, if you watch the commentary for the episode.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

French? GL and I must have met different frenchmen, then. What was the reason given for the accent? Or was it simply a case of "GL liked it?"
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
The Original Nex
Jedi Council Member

Post by The Original Nex »

Thanas wrote:French? GL and I must have met different frenchmen, then. What was the reason given for the accent? Or was it simply a case of "GL liked it?"
It was originally intended for her to have a "streetwise" American accent, but GL overrode that because apparently he "envisions" Twi'leks having "French" accents... Ok George, tell that to Bib Fortuna... or Oola...
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

The Original Nex wrote:
Thanas wrote:French? GL and I must have met different frenchmen, then. What was the reason given for the accent? Or was it simply a case of "GL liked it?"
It was originally intended for her to have a "streetwise" American accent, but GL overrode that because apparently he "envisions" Twi'leks having "French" accents... Ok George, tell that to Bib Fortuna... or Oola...
De wanna wanna?
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
open_sketchbook
Jedi Master

Post by open_sketchbook »

Well, there is an episode where the Twi'lek homeworld is liberated by the Clones, and the Normandy Landings aspect is pushed hard. The accent is likely part of that.
1980s Rock is to music what Giant Robot shows are to anime
Think about it.

Cruising low in my N-1 blasting phat beats,
showin' off my chrome on them Coruscant streets
Got my 'saber on my belt and my gat by side,
this here yellow plane makes for a sick ride
VT-16
Sith Marauder

Post by VT-16 »

Bib Fortuna only spoke Huttese, last time I checked. The French accent was adopted for the whole Twi'lek species so that's going to figure in the upcoming trilogy episode. I really don't get how you could mistake that for "generic Eastern European", though.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

No, Bib Fortuna speaks English in RotJ - the "he's no Jedi" line.
VT-16
Sith Marauder

Post by VT-16 »

Well, he's been with Jabba for several decades at least. But that makes me wonder if Aayla is also keeping in touch with her own culture, given the sharing of the accent. Maybe like the old Jedi Watchman title of the TOTJ comics.

Also forgot, in the films we have three different accents/gutteral sounds coming from one species: the Gran.
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

The Original Nex wrote: It was originally intended for her to have a "streetwise" American accent, but GL overrode that because apparently he "envisions" Twi'leks having "French" accents... Ok George, tell that to Bib Fortuna... or Oola...
There's hundreds of reasons they might not speak alike

For a start, Aayla, being a jedi, would largely have been raised on Coruscant. There's no reason should have the same accent as those hicks in the arse end of beyond.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
open_sketchbook
Jedi Master

Post by open_sketchbook »

GASP. Some members of the same species have different accents! My God, George Lucas must be losing it!

IT GETS WORSE. Some of the humans in the Original Trilogy have American accents, and some have English accents! Wheres the consistency? My suspension of disbelief is broken. Thanks for ruining Star Wars, George.

:wink:
1980s Rock is to music what Giant Robot shows are to anime
Think about it.

Cruising low in my N-1 blasting phat beats,
showin' off my chrome on them Coruscant streets
Got my 'saber on my belt and my gat by side,
this here yellow plane makes for a sick ride
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Out of curiosity, did we ever hear Aayla speak in the Prequel Trilogy, and if so, what was her accent?
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

The Romulan Republic wrote:Out of curiosity, did we ever hear Aayla speak in the Prequel Trilogy, and if so, what was her accent?
never, she was played by a ILM employer (forgot what her actual job was(the "actress" that is)), she was suppose to have line in ROTS but that was cut IIRC, we did hear her speak in the Clone wars animation series but I can't remember what her accent was like.

EDIT:the actress who played Aayla in the movies is called Amy Allen and most of her task seem to production assistant tasks for ILM.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
The Original Nex
Jedi Council Member

Post by The Original Nex »

Lord Revan wrote:
The Romulan Republic wrote:Out of curiosity, did we ever hear Aayla speak in the Prequel Trilogy, and if so, what was her accent?
never, she was played by a ILM employer (forgot what her actual job was(the "actress" that is)), she was suppose to have line in ROTS but that was cut IIRC, we did hear her speak in the Clone wars animation series but I can't remember what her accent was like.

EDIT:the actress who played Aayla in the movies is called Amy Allen and most of her task seem to production assistant tasks for ILM.
IIRC she did have speaking lines in the script for RotS, but they were slashed.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Having seen every episode of this new series so far, am I alone in thinking that this is by far the best depiction of Anakin Skywalker yet? Everything from his voice to his behavior just seem far more mature and heroic than Hayden Christensen ever did in ROTS. I might have actually enjoyed the prequels if he'd been more like his CG self the whole time.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Galvatron wrote:Having seen every episode of this new series so far, am I alone in thinking that this is by far the best depiction of Anakin Skywalker yet? Everything from his voice to his behavior just seem far more mature and heroic than Hayden Christensen ever did in ROTS. I might have actually enjoyed the prequels if he'd been more like his CG self the whole time.
I thought the same thing about the original Clone Wars cartoon shorts.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
seanrobertson
Jedi Council Member

Post by seanrobertson »

NecronLord wrote: For a start, Aayla, being a jedi, would largely have been raised on Coruscant. There's no reason should have the same accent as those hicks in the arse end of beyond.
Very true.

It's funny accents came up; as I watched the last CW, it struck me that we've had a fair diversity of accents among Jedi:

*French (sexy blue chick)
*Midwest North American (Skywalker, Snips, Windu, Kota)
*Caribbean (Fisto)
*Irish (Jinn)
*English (old Kenobi, Dooku, Unduli, Jocasta Nu, Mundi, (Plo Koon?), that little Jake Lloyd-looking kid Vader was about to skewer in "ROTS")
*Scottish (young Kenobi)

Irish, English and Scottish -- shit, even many U.S. and Canadian accents -- are all fairly similar. Deviations from within those categories could be attributed to a host of things (where the Jedi spends most of his time off-Coruscant, his/her master's accent, how he/she sounded before initiation, etc.).

But the others ... hmmm :| Given the age at which most Jedi are taken in, I would expect the more distinctive accents to be extreme abberations. When Aayla sounds French or Fisto sounds like a guy from Trinidad, I wonder: When they were younglings, padawans and so on, with whom did they spend most of their time? Why didn't they grow to sound more like their masters or, for that matter, the majority of Jedi?

We've only seen a handful of these "foreign"-sounding characters, but it bugs me that they're invariably non-human. We can see that they're not human, for heaven's sake. We don't need to be beat about the head with a "funny" accent to differentiate them from the rest :|
Pain, or damage, don't end the world, or despair, or fuckin' beatin's. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, ya got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man ... and give some back.
-Al Swearengen

Cry woe, destruction, ruin and decay: The worst is death, and death will have his day.
-Ole' Shakey's "Richard II," Act III, scene ii.
Ender
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ender »

seanrobertson wrote: We've only seen a handful of these "foreign"-sounding characters, but it bugs me that they're invariably non-human. We can see that they're not human, for heaven's sake. We don't need to be beat about the head with a "funny" accent to differentiate them from the rest :|
Perhaps their vocal chords can't quite exactly match human speech, resulting in the accents?
بيرني كان سيفوز
Nuclear Navy Warwolf
in omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro
ipsa scientia potestas est
Connor MacLeod
Sith Apprentice

Post by Connor MacLeod »

Or translations. We might assume some extremely sophisticated sort of dubbing for our benefit.