The Clone Wars Season 3 discussion thread.

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Thanas
Magister
Magister

Re: The Clone Wars Season 3 discussion thread.

Post by Thanas »

To be honest, I wouldn't care so much about the minimalism if the show would at least be interesting.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Gunhead
Jedi Council Member

Post by Gunhead »

Why mention numbers at all? They've could have just said "This deployment will raise costs to a level the republic cannot sustain, people are already straining from the burden this war is causing."
The number of troopers would really be relevant only if it was family members coming home in body bags. But these are clones, so the number deployed is an economical matter purely. So a politician would be really worried about how he's going to explain another raise in taxes back home.

-Gunhead
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
-Generalfeldmarschall Erwin Rommel

"And if you don't wanna feel like a putz
Collect the clues and connect the dots
You'll see the pattern that is bursting your bubble, and it's Bad" -The Hives
Srelex
Jedi Master

Post by Srelex »

Well, I doubt the writer put as much thought into that as we nerds would, and the intended viewership isn't likely to care either, so I guess they just thought 'MILLIONZ' would be dramatic enough.
"No, no, no, no! Light speed's too slow! Yes, we're gonna have to go right to... Ludicrous speed!"
Gunhead
Jedi Council Member

Post by Gunhead »

You misunderstand me, I really don't care about minimalism or that crap. I just think from a political point of view the number of people (clones) involved are an economical concern and I see no reason it shouldn't be treated as such. They're just as much war material to be expended as ships or blaster packs, so I find it odd anyone would bring up the number to be sent. More so considering the scale of the economy, people who decide would just see military asking another 5% of the budget when they're already spending 15% of the total pie.

It does sound the writer's put there for the "ZOMG 5 million clones!! Lots!!!"

-Gunhead
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
-Generalfeldmarschall Erwin Rommel

"And if you don't wanna feel like a putz
Collect the clues and connect the dots
You'll see the pattern that is bursting your bubble, and it's Bad" -The Hives
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

My first thought when I heard the millions bit is "In light of this attack ... buy five million new clones" she was proposing the Homeworld Security troops, who're supposed to stop such attacks happening again.

Of course, the battle-droids is harder to rationalise, unless when he says 'new battle droids' he means 'yet another new design' which is obviously clunky but seems the best way to rationalise how this would be worrying news.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Post by Adam Reynolds »

One other element that seems difficult to understand is the use of police droids at a time when the Republic is under attack by droid armies, especially since in earlier sources we saw organic police forces. It is also irritating how incompetent those droids are.
Grouchy224
Redshirt

Post by Grouchy224 »

A spoiler for the new 3-part Savage Oppress story arc. DO NOT CLICK IF YOU DONT WANT SPOILERS. http://www.toplessrobot.com/2010/12/tr_ ... o.php#more

For those that didn't want to click the link but still want spoilers. Spoiler
The Dathomir Witches, at the end, send Savage to the Outer Rim to learn from a new Master. Who is this master, you ask? DARTH MAUL.
Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Post by Adam Reynolds »

Grouchy224 wrote:A spoiler for the new 3-part Savage Oppress story arc. DO NOT CLICK IF YOU DONT WANT SPOILERS. http://www.toplessrobot.com/2010/12/tr_ ... o.php#more

For those that didn't want to click the link but still want spoilers. Spoiler
The Dathomir Witches, at the end, send Savage to the Outer Rim to learn from a new Master. Who is this master, you ask? DARTH MAUL.
Wow! It seems like this series will finally redeem itself for having so many garbage episodes for the first half of this season.
Srelex
Jedi Master

Post by Srelex »

Spoiler
I trust it'll be a Force Ghost...
"No, no, no, no! Light speed's too slow! Yes, we're gonna have to go right to... Ludicrous speed!"
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

What a load of BS.
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Talhe
Padawan Learner

Post by Talhe »

Thanas wrote:What a load of BS.
I'd normally agree, but the guy who runs Topless Robot is pretty good about these sort of things. I'm going to give it the benefit of the doubt for now.
What can change the nature of Man?

-Ravel Puzzlewel, Planescape: Torment
Srelex
Jedi Master

Post by Srelex »

In fairness, there was similar stuff in Legacy, so I guess that's where they got it from.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

No, I mean the storyline is BS, if it is true. He should stay dead.
------------
------------
My LPs
Force Lord
Jedi Council Member

Post by Force Lord »

An inhabitant from the Island of Cars.
Srelex
Jedi Master

Post by Srelex »

Now that's what I'm talkin' about! :D Animation looked really ambitious there.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Has it gotten so bad that they are now taking storylines from the comic books?
------------
------------
My LPs
Srelex
Jedi Master

Post by Srelex »

Thanas wrote:Has it gotten so bad that they are now taking storylines from the comic books?
What do you mean?
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Apprentice falling to the dark side has been covered amptly by Vos and Aayla Secura. Multiple times, in fact.
------------
------------
My LPs
Srelex
Jedi Master

Post by Srelex »

Eh, could be some sort of vision or nightmare. We'll wait and see.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Yeah, but either way this comes way out of left field. Ahsoka never even appeared as a likely candidate for the dark side. This makes no sense.
------------
------------
My LPs
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

I'm going to reserve judgment. We have no idea as to what happens to Ashoka or why.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Talhe
Padawan Learner

Post by Talhe »

I'm kind of curious about the guy who turns into a giant bat-demon thing. It brings up bad memories of the made-for-TV Ewok movies (seriously, as a young child I was terrified watching them).
What can change the nature of Man?

-Ravel Puzzlewel, Planescape: Torment
Grouchy224
Redshirt

Post by Grouchy224 »

If you remember in one of the earlier seasons (I forget which one) she had shown tendencies towards being violent when interrogating Nute Gunray (I think it was) when he got captured by the NR. Also, it seems that Anakin gets captured at some point, perhaps Ahsoka gets captured with him and is tortured into turning?
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Grouchy224 wrote:If you remember in one of the earlier seasons (I forget which one) she had shown tendencies towards being violent when interrogating Nute Gunray (I think it was) when he got captured by the NR.
Yeah, but one time, and it certainly did not go any further than intimidation. And later on she clearly is not giving into anger in other situations.

Also, it seems that Anakin gets captured at some point, perhaps Ahsoka gets captured with him and is tortured into turning?
Even more lame.
------------
------------
My LPs
Murazor
Jedi Council Member

Post by Murazor »

Terrible, terrible suspicion that I REALLY hope doesn't come true.
Spoiler
The glowing girl and the red-eyed demon guy will turn out to be antropomorphic incarnations of the Force.