X Wing Proton Torpedoes and you

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Azron_Stoma
Padawan Learner

Re: X Wing Proton Torpedoes and you

Post by Azron_Stoma »

In other words they can vary from 191 megatons to the multigigaton high yield ones?
though it's hard to say if the 191 megaton yield ones are the low yield or mid range.
slicktyler
Redshirt

Post by slicktyler »

no that is not what they are saying. They are saying there is no canonical evidence that says x-wing proton torps are 191 megatons. There is evidence that some are much more but none pointing to the yield of the x-wing ones. It could be more but it could be less.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

slicktyler wrote:no that is not what they are saying. They are saying there is no canonical evidence that says x-wing proton torps are 191 megatons.There is evidence that some are much more but none pointing to the yield of the x-wing ones. It could be more but it could be less.
You're presuming that X-Wing protorps have a fixed yield.Why would that be so, given that MODERN DAY missiles have varying payloads within the same missile family and that's ignoring dial-a-yield warheads for modern day nukes?
And that's ignoring that X-Wings MUST have minimum GT level torps available if they want to be a threat to even the smallest of in-universe capital ships.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
slicktyler
Redshirt

Post by slicktyler »

Batman wrote:
slicktyler wrote:no that is not what they are saying. They are saying there is no canonical evidence that says x-wing proton torps are 191 megatons.There is evidence that some are much more but none pointing to the yield of the x-wing ones. It could be more but it could be less.
You're presuming that X-Wing protorps have a fixed yield.Why would that be so, given that MODERN DAY missiles have varying payloads within the same missile family and that's ignoring dial-a-yield warheads for modern day nukes?
And that's ignoring that X-Wings MUST have minimum GT level torps available if they want to be a threat to even the smallest of in-universe capital ships.
no I am assuming that the proton torpedoes used in Episode 4 and 6 are fixed yields. That is what the discussion was about. The proton torpedoes specifically used against the death star. I mean we know that there are 3 main types of Proton torps and the only written yield of the x-wings proton torps is the old tech manual that says they are in the kiloton range. The whole disscusion was on is there any canonical evidence saying they are 191 megatons which it seems there is not.
BLACKSUN2000
Youngling

Post by BLACKSUN2000 »

Oh and he didn't tell me my interpretation of canon was wrong he told me my interpretation of the canon policy used on the boards was wrong. GG failbot.
Tyler you really are a moron. :roll: What part of "The EU is canon" don't you understand?
Batman is CLEARLY telling you that you are ignoring canon evidence.

Seriously if a Corellian corvette can withstand turbolaser barrages, your fighter missles would have to be a gigaton level in order to damage them.

More than kilotons levels you claim by visuals alone. :lol:
Even if I go to hell, I will live to the end of this world. And if the world does not come to an end... I will destroy it with my own hands!-Lacan

Yes, we will destroy god. That is our purpose... That is our destiny!-Grahf
Boeing 757
Padawan Learner
Location: Εν ενί γαλαξία μένω, ον συ ου δύνασαι ευρείν χωρίς διαστημικού οχήματος.

Post by Boeing 757 »

slicktyler wrote:no that is not what they are saying. They are saying there is no canonical evidence that says x-wing proton torps are 191 megatons. There is evidence that some are much more but none pointing to the yield of the x-wing ones. It could be more but it could be less.
:roll:

So, even after you have been informed that proton torps can achieve damage against capital ship shields, and that starfighter torpedoes have demonstrated firepower way above both kilotons and megatons (ref: the mountain chain event), you still insist on the most likely outcome being that X-wing protorps are kilotons or something?

These are your own words here verbatim, from when you sent them to me by pm:
it is most likely still in the 1 to 10 kilaton range seeing as we have seen what they can do and it doesn't even come close to fett's weapons.
There are kiloton torpedoes for X-wings, idiot. No one denies that. However, what we are trying to get through to you is that this is NOT the maximum possible yield for the torpedoes of an X-wing.

And for all intents and purposes, you have failed to explain to me thus far why a bounty hunter has accessibility to 191 megaton torps while the Rebel Alliance would not. Explain that to me of all things, tyler. As far as is known, there is nothing special about Jango's missles. Let's see some answers here and a stop to the trolling.
Omnia praesumuntur legitime facta donec probetur in contrarium.

Kritisches Denken schützt vor Illusionen.

Παν μέτρον άριστον τῷ κρατίστῳ.
Boeing 757
Padawan Learner
Location: Εν ενί γαλαξία μένω, ον συ ου δύνασαι ευρείν χωρίς διαστημικού οχήματος.

Post by Boeing 757 »

Batman wrote:

I've explained that to this 'tard over and over again. He just fucking ignores it and claims that the EU books and games aren't canon. Even when you show him that he is obviously wrong by providing quotes from George himself, he spindoctors the words to make it sound like the interviewee has been saying what he [slicktyler] wanted him to say all along.

:banghead:

BLACKSUN2000
Youngling

Post by BLACKSUN2000 »

He's denied the Lucasfilm canon system. Vympel did tell him how the canon system works.
Ignored evidence about the required yield for a proton torpedo.
Ignored evidence provided by boardmembers.

Seriously WTF?
Even if I go to hell, I will live to the end of this world. And if the world does not come to an end... I will destroy it with my own hands!-Lacan

Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

slicktyler wrote:
Batman wrote:
no I am assuming that the proton torpedoes used in Episode 4 and 6 are fixed yields.
Since it's COMPLETELY IMPOSSIBLE to determine a yield for those, why are those important?
That is what the discussion was about.
Really. I must have missed the part were you specified X-Wing protorps AS USED IN ANH AND ROTJ, when in the OP you didn't even specify X-Wing torpedoes.
I mean we know that there are 3 main types of Proton torps and the only written yield of the x-wings proton torps is the old tech manual that says they are in the kiloton range.
Is the old tech manual even still canon? Irrelevant anyway as whatever the yield of that particular kind of protorp, X-Wings HAVE massively more powerful ones at their disposal.
The whole discusion was on is there any canonical evidence saying they are 191 megatons which it seems there is not.
Indeed there isn't. There's merely evidence for massively MORE powerful ones.
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Connor MacLeod
Sith Apprentice

Post by Connor MacLeod »

The whole "we dont know yields of proton torpedoes so they may be higher or lower" is a clever tactic. Either they claim that "if they use low yield torpedoes this must mean the energy weapons are low yield" (ignoring that the opposite must also be true, to an extent) or they argue that the torpedoes represent some sort of "weakness" in the defensive capability of starships that can be easily exploited (which ignores the fact that energy is energy, and that if such a "weakness" existed" they would just design weapons around exploiting it, which would change combat and tactics.)

That said, its not inconceivable anyhow for lower yield torpedoes to threaten a ship over higher yield ones (up to a certain point anyhow.) Depending on the quality of the armor and the mechanism for damage (how concentrated an energy release, whether it's something like a release of photons, charged or neutral particles of varying masses, some sort of blast like shockwave effect, etc.) You could also use repeated strikes. Or some of the more technobabbly warheads to come up (well why not? tHey're there.) WRT shields, I already pointed out shielding isn't neccesarily "brute forced" through - canon and the EU introduce enough alternate mechanisms - and armour just needs to be burnt through to strike whatever vital systems are beneath. You don't have to neccesarily blow the ship to pieces - hence why most warheads are specified to be shaped charges, and probably why they rely more on "non thermal" destructive mechanisms.

Alot of it may just depend on ship design. While its tempting to think so, SW is not a "galaxy at war" most of the time, and you don't really need to keep large standing navies utilizing the MOST cutting edge high end tech - at least not for all your ships - that could be expensive. You might get around this by using something cheaper (less reactor power, less powerful shields, lower quality armor, etc.) to make them cheaper and easier to build. Or maybe you sacrifice one trait over others (armor for firepower - eg those big ass reactor bulbs, or reduce firepower by using smaller reactors and/or fewer and smaller guns, but giving the ship stronger shields and armor, or focusing on shields over firepower, etc.) Lots of examples of all of those (Separatists warships are "cheaper" to build but less powerful, and also use the "shields over armor" philosophy, and there are the VSDs from Darksaber which needed large numbers to threaten a relatively small number of ISDs.. etc.)

Indeed, the idea that Star Wars might not always build its fleets and warships to neccesarily "maximum" capabiilty is quite reasonable for the setting. Not just because of cost, but also because you don't want high end techs (power technologies and weapons) being misused (EG terrorism.) It's already trivially easy in principle for the SW galaxy to destroy itself if they had unstable enough terrorists (Hyperspaced asteroid mass extinction events anyone?) so restrictions would be a sensible precaution.
slicktyler
Redshirt

Post by slicktyler »

BLACKSUN2000 wrote:He's denied the Lucasfilm canon system. Vympel did tell him how the canon system works.

Seriously WTF?
You are entitled to your own opinions but not your own facts.

It is this clear and obvious distortion of the truth that hurts you.

I never denied the Lucas canon system

I did not ignore evidence.

You have Star Wars canon that says the torps are 1 kiloton. You then have other examples where the yield varies. Which is correct? It's not like something like this hasn't happened in star wars before where different sources say different things.

As for Batman. I refer to the films because the films are the gospel in the Star Wars canon. If it is completely impossible to determine the yeild from the films then explain how Saxton did it?

As for Boeing please explain to me when I have said the Books are not canon?

You are missing the point about how they do damage to capital ships. In reality the ships are in space which is a vaccum. A breach in the ship could cause explosive decompression. Look at modern day torpedoes. Their job is not to punch a hole in the ship but to vaporize the water under the ship so the weight of the ship breaks the keel.

As for Jango Fett. Yes I don't think it is crazy to think that a extremely rich bounty hunter has better equipment then the Rebels. He is only buying stuff for himself. He got paid extremely well for the clones. Not to mention he is not being hunted by the Empire. Anything the Rebels buy has to be done in secret. They can't just walk up to a weapons manufacturer and say "Hey we would like to by the best equipment you have to fight the empire"
lord Martiya
Jedi Master

Post by lord Martiya »

slicktyler wrote:You have Star Wars canon that says the torps are 1 kiloton. You then have other examples where the yield varies. Which is correct? It's not like something like this hasn't happened in star wars before where different sources say different things.
Where it says the torpedoes have 1 kiloton yield? And what make more sense, that one source is right and all the others are wrong or that there are different kind of proton torpedoes with different yield? Especially given we know for sure of the existance of at least two models, the Clone Wars-era MG1-A and the MG7-A that destroyed the first Death Star?
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

slicktyler wrote: You have Star Wars canon that says the torps are 1 kiloton.
Yup. A very likely S-Canon source that is quite clearly overridden by C-Canon given that that would mean not only would X-Wings have to fire proton torpedoes by the MILLIONS to even threaten a corvette, but their lasers would be noticeably more powerful.
You then have other examples where the yield varies. Which is correct?
The HIGHER canon ones? But let's assume for the moment your 1 KT torpedo is valid-so what? Variable torpedo yields are ALREADY a given. Maybe the 1 KT torpedo was a practice torpedo or a target marker or something.
As for Batman. I refer to the films because the films are the gospel in the Star Wars canon. If it is completely impossible to determine the yeild from the films then explain how Saxton did it?
Where DID Saxton do it? It was admittedly a hasty search but neither the SWTC nor the ICS mention any yield figures for protorps, nevermind ones derived from the OT (unsurprisingly).
You are missing the point about how they do damage to capital ships. In reality the ships are in space which is a vaccum.
Really. Thank you SO much for enlightening us.
A breach in the ship could cause explosive decompression.
Which has what, exactly, got to do with the yield needed to bring down the SHIELDS? Not that explosive decompression isn't vastly overrated anyway but before you can even begin to think about that you have to get through the shields-which is going to take some doing with KT level torpedoes.
Look at modern day torpedoes. Their job is not to punch a hole in the ship but to vaporize the water under the ship so the weight of the ship breaks the keel.
Which is naturally totally comparable to battering down/punshing through the shields of a spacegoing vessel. Oh wait-it has nothing to do with it.
Connor MacLeod
Sith Apprentice

Post by Connor MacLeod »

slicktyler wrote: You have Star Wars canon that says the torps are 1 kiloton. You then have other examples where the yield varies. Which is correct? It's not like something like this hasn't happened in star wars before where different sources say different things.
So? It says that the 1 kiloton warhead was omnidirectional. Other torps (as mentioned in the OT:ICS) are shaped charges. And we know that there exist more than one kinds of proton torpedo. Disregarding for a moment that visually there are multiple kinds (the conical kind that we see most often mentioned, the more cylindrical sorts that show up in comics, etc.) we know there are different kinds from the RPG sources and the novels. At the absolute minimum there are capital and fighter scale torpedoes. Assuming that ALL TORPEDOES are of a single yield just because we have only one yield is idiotic. Are you going to tell me all turbolasers are only 200 Gigatons now? Or that all concussion missiles must be 192 megatons?
you mean the one where he assumes they're fusion weapons, and thus have no lower yield than 100 kt? That seems a bit arbitrary. (For the recrod, its mentioned under the STar destroyer entry on SWTC).
You are missing the point about how they do damage to capital ships. In reality the ships are in space which is a vaccum. A breach in the ship could cause explosive decompression. Look at modern day torpedoes. Their job is not to punch a hole in the ship but to vaporize the water under the ship so the weight of the ship breaks the keel.
Source for this please, I smell BS.
As for Jango Fett. Yes I don't think it is crazy to think that a extremely rich bounty hunter has better equipment then the Rebels. He is only buying stuff for himself. He got paid extremely well for the clones. Not to mention he is not being hunted by the Empire. Anything the Rebels buy has to be done in secret. They can't just walk up to a weapons manufacturer and say "Hey we would like to by the best equipment you have to fight the empire"
So, the Rebels can build and maintain capital ships and run at least one shipyard, acquire all other sorts of military hardware, clothe and feed at LEAST their own navy, run an intel network, etc. and you think they're poorer and less well connected than Jango?
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

As I said, not that I see how that is applicable to starships but he DOES have a point about modern antiship torpedoes. IDEALLY, they ARE going to go off below the keel of the target vessel and break her back via the pressure wave (what with water not being compressible and all the water displaced by the explosion having to go SOMEWHERE). How feasible that is in an actual combat situation is, of course, another matter, but in test scenarios warships have literally been broken in half by that tactic.
slicktyler
Redshirt

Post by slicktyler »

Connor MacLeod wrote:
slicktyler wrote: You have Star Wars canon that says the torps are 1 kiloton. You then have other examples where the yield varies. Which is correct? It's not like something like this hasn't happened in star wars before where different sources say different things.
So? It says that the 1 kiloton warhead was omnidirectional. Other torps (as mentioned in the OT:ICS) are shaped charges. And we know that there exist more than one kinds of proton torpedo. Disregarding for a moment that visually there are multiple kinds (the conical kind that we see most often mentioned, the more cylindrical sorts that show up in comics, etc.) we know there are different kinds from the RPG sources and the novels. At the absolute minimum there are capital and fighter scale torpedoes. Assuming that ALL TORPEDOES are of a single yield just because we have only one yield is idiotic. Are you going to tell me all turbolasers are only 200 Gigatons now? Or that all concussion missiles must be 192 megatons?
you mean the one where he assumes they're fusion weapons, and thus have no lower yield than 100 kt? That seems a bit arbitrary. (For the recrod, its mentioned under the STar destroyer entry on SWTC).
Source for this please, I smell BS.
So, the Rebels can build and maintain capital ships and run at least one shipyard, acquire all other sorts of military hardware, clothe and feed at LEAST their own navy, run an intel network, etc. and you think they're poorer and less well connected than Jango?

here is the video of a modern day torpedo taking out ships.

As for Jango and the Rebels you said it yourself. They have to build and maintain capital ships, run a shipyard....etc etc. All of that costs money and as we previously discussed they are not exactly well off. Jango has to pay for himself. So he can afford the very best while the Rebels have to stretch every credit. Do you buy one really amazing fighter or 50 pretty good ones. Look at terrorists, they have to improvise a lot of their weapons and very rarely get new AK 47s. They are using weapons left over from the Cold War and I don't think any one would really argue that there are much better guns then AK-47s out there. Where as there are plenty of gun nuts in the US that have stock piles of guns and explosives.

edit

here is another really good one. If you watch you can see the steel bend and twist as if it was soft plastic.

Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

Um-if you're not responding to any single point whatsoever, kindly DON'T quote the entirety of the post they were made in?
As all you wanted to do apparently was to get your completely irrelevant torpedo videos posted why bother quoting Connor?
Oh, wait, you DID post a response to ONE of his points.
As for Jango and the Rebels you said it yourself. They have to build and maintain capital ships, run a shipyard....etc etc. All of that costs money and as we previously discussed they are not exactly well off.
On a GALACTIC scale. They STILL have dozens if not thousands of systems financing them.
Jango has to pay for himself.
nd has his PERSONAL INCOME to pay for it. The Rebels have entire WORLDS. SCORES of them.
So he can afford the very best while the Rebels have to stretch every credit.
As evidenced by-you saying so.
Do you buy one really amazing fighter or 50 pretty good ones.
How about 35 satisfactory ones?
Look at terrorists, they have to improvise a lot of their weapons and very rarely get new AK 47s.
Because real world terrorists are a really good example as they ROUTINELY have entire national governments behind them that actually supply them with proper warships.
They are using weapons left over from the Cold War and I don't think any one would really argue that there are much better guns then AK-47s out there.
Actually there's a ton of better guns then the AK-47 out there. They're just not as cheap and available.
Where as there are plenty of gun nuts in the US that have stock piles of guns and explosives.
Which is relevant because of? So a goodly portion of the US population is nuts. That's not exaclty news.
Boeing 757
Padawan Learner

Post by Boeing 757 »

slicktyler wrote:
BLACKSUN2000 wrote:He's denied the Lucasfilm canon system. Vympel did tell him how the canon system works.

Seriously WTF?

Look who's talking. This game of yours has been going on for at least a month ever since BlackSun and I confronted you on YT. You've yet to refute any point that we've brought up before you, and your modus operandi thus far has been to ignore whatever doesn't suit and to fabricate shit along the way.

:finger: Fuck you, you dishonest troll. You denied it in this very thread when you said that you don't consider the EU canon. And lest it escape you, have you forgotten so quickly this exchange between you, BlackSun2000 and me? (I am ImperatorDerGalaxis on youtube) Any one can click on the link you provided to youtube in order to read it:

Myself: 'Starfighter proton torps present a threat to capital ships, thus they must have warheads rated in the gigatonage range.'

slicktyler: 'the books aren't canon. They are part of the EU which has it's own continuity but it is not part of the main canon.'

Myself: 'Cut the crap, no one is buying your BS. The EU is part of SW continuity whether you like it or not. You can thank George Lucas for that.'

slicktyler: 'Leland Chee the keeper of Star Wars canon says you are wrong.'

Myself: 'As for canon, GL himself among others settled this issue long ago back in 1978. Nice red herring btw...you can't beat the argument, so you try to throw out the evidence'

slicktyler: 'Anyhow it looks like George Lucas is telling you that you are wrong too.

"Theres my world, which is the movies, and theres this other world that has been created, which I say is the parallel universe"
-George Lucas
So George Lucas says you are wrong and so does the man in charge of Canon Leland Chee says you are wrong.'

Hopefully that ought to help you to jog your memory. :roll:
You have Star Wars canon that says the torps are 1 kiloton. You then have other examples where the yield varies. Which is correct? It's not like something like this hasn't happened in star wars before where different sources say different things.
Again, for the umpteenth time, there exist all sorts of proton torpedoes in use, and for the most part they have shown themsevles to possess yields MUCH, MUCH greater than 1 kiloton. You yourself admit that they have variable yields. Also, not only is the source from which you're getting that 1 kiloton figure OLD, but it doesn't jive at all with any of the newer stuff (which by the way, are set higher atop the canon hierarchy). Hell, even starfighter laser cannons rate at 1-10 kilotons, so obviously proton torpedoes shall have a higher yield solely due to the fact that they've got greater power than laser cannons.
As for Boeing please explain to me when I have said the Books are not canon?
See above, dipshit.
Incredible, you're comparing torpedoes used to destroy unshielded, waterbound vessels to weapons used in space which must FIRST penetrate shields, THEN punch through armor which is meant to withstand capital ship TLs and missles. Perhaps the point is too difficult for you to grasp, but in order to do any damage to a capital ship in the first place, you're going to need weapons which dish out megatons if not most likely gigatons.
As for Jango Fett. Yes I don't think it is crazy to think that a extremely rich bounty hunter has better equipment then the Rebels.
You're an idiot. First, the Rebels have the backing of several worlds which secretely provide them with hard merchandise: Mon Calamari, Bothawui, Alderaan etc to name a few. Second, the Rebels get much of their support and funding through their connections to several key Galactic Senators. Third, Jango has never shown himself to be in possession of anything remotely as powerful as what the Rebels own. When have we witnessed Jango with a massive planetary ion cannon? A theater shield? An army or a fleet?

According to you, Jango is richer than the Alliance and therefore can buy better missles. :wtf: What a load of BS.....
He is only buying stuff for himself. He couldn't even buy He got paid extremely well for the clones. Not to mention he is not being hunted by the Empire.
That he buys gear only for himself does not matter, dipshit. HE DOESN'T HAVE ENOUGH CAPITAL, period. He was only paid 10 million Republic credits for earning the right to be cloned, and further to underscore that theme, he stole fucking Slave I rather than buying it (ref: Bounty Hunter). His financial standing and connections can not compare with what the Rebels maintain. If Jango can acquire 191 MT torpedoes, so can the Alliance.
Anything the Rebels buy has to be done in secret.
No doubt, but what the Rebels can purchase in secret far outdoes any spending which Jango can make. Proof: the fact that they not only have but can maintain a warfleet capable of challenging an Imperial sector fleet, and also all that other stuff that I mentioned above.
They can't just walk up to a weapons manufacturer and say "Hey we would like to by the best equipment you have to fight the empire"
Obviously your opinion is severely flawed. Because they can and do purchase very powerful weapons, things about which Jango can only dream of owning.

BLACKSUN2000
Youngling

Post by BLACKSUN2000 »

Yeah the facts say you are completely full of shit.
So by your own admittance Turbolasers can dish out 200gt+ shots, right?
[The numbers are from a man named Curtis Saxton maybe you heard of him. He calculated his numbers from the movies. Well except the torpedo and missle numbers. So the TL are canon.
/quote]

Since you accept the TL figures, and ProtonTorps can cause damage to shields and armor found on most capitol ships... :banghead:
Really?
as for canon. No that it isn't how Star Wars Canon works. Leland Chee the man in charge of Star Wars canon or at least orginizing it has said this

"Film+EU continuity. Anything not in the current version of the films is irrelevant to Film only continuity."

Meaning that there are 2 continuites there is the Film universe and then there is Film + EU.
Yes you claimed this don't try to deny it. :roll:
:wtf: The only one distorting the truth here is you.
Then clearly everyone on this board must be hallucinating. :roll:

Connor MacLeod
Sith Apprentice

Post by Connor MacLeod »

slicktyler wrote:

here is the video of a modern day torpedo taking out ships.
Which proves what? SW ships are in space. There are a number of distinct differences between the two. I also note you completely ignored my demand for proof. THat's against the rules here you know (assuming you read them)
As for Jango and the Rebels you said it yourself. They have to build and maintain capital ships, run a shipyard....etc etc. All of that costs money and as we previously discussed they are not exactly well off. Jango has to pay for himself. So he can afford the very best while the Rebels have to stretch every credit. Do you buy one really amazing fighter or 50 pretty good ones.
And? Munitions are pretty damn important to them too, since it enables those fighters to take on craft bigger than they are. And if they can set up infrasturcutre for building ships and fighters and maintain them, I have no doubt they can build themselves some sort of munitions. So I still fail to see how this proves your point.
Look at terrorists, they have to improvise a lot of their weapons and very rarely get new AK 47s. They are using weapons left over from the Cold War and I don't think any one would really argue that there are much better guns then AK-47s out there. Where as there are plenty of gun nuts in the US that have stock piles of guns and explosives.
So? noone here has claimed the Rebels use cutting edge high end technology consistently - in fact they tend to have otherwise - that much is obvious. What does this have to do with backing up your point?
edit
here is another really good one. If you watch you can see the steel bend and twist as if it was soft plastic.

And agian, what the fuck is your bloody point?
blacksun2175
Redshirt

Post by blacksun2175 »

Batman wrote:On the armour of the Death Star the resilience of which you have completely failed to determine?
And on a slightly unrelated note, would there be any scorching in a vacuum to begin with? I honestly don't know.
From what I have read a nuclear explosion in space would be an extremely bright flash but no firey explosion. You would still get the force of it and all the radaiation but that is it.
Batman wrote:We have a canon source saying seismic charges (which aren't all that noticeably larger) being 2 GT, and we have canon sources saying fighters are a credible threat to at least minor capital ships.

If the Proton torpedo is a threat to capital ships then it stands to reason that we would see evidence of damage to the exhuast port on the death star. It could be pitting, a small hole, or some type of metalic deformation but we don't.
Azron_Stoma
Padawan Learner

Post by Azron_Stoma »

blacksun2175 wrote:snip
This all coming from an Imposter...
BLACKSUN2000
Youngling

Post by BLACKSUN2000 »

So the doppleganger rears it's ugly head...
If the Proton torpedo is a threat to capital ships then it stands to reason that we would see evidence of damage to the exhuast port on the death star. It could be pitting, a small hole, or some type of metalic deformation but we don't.
Yeah except, the Deathstar had somthing called SHIELDS, shields which withstood the impacts of planetary fragments at a very high velocity. Seriously what makes you think proton torpedoes are going to scratch that monster, if massive planetary debris failed to cause any damage?

Quit trolling.

Boeing 757
Padawan Learner

Post by Boeing 757 »

First off, I want to inform everyone on this board that this user here--supposedly Blacksun2175--may in fact be user slicktyler, who has opened up this blacksun2175 account in order to aggravate SD.net user Blacksun2000, whose youtube username has been Blacksun2175 for several months on there until now. On top of the idiocy displayed by user slicktyler in this thread, this troll idiot 2175 gives away his true identity by reiterating the SAME crap, discarded arguments that user slicktyler had given credence, too, even after in this very thread those arguments were torn up by numerous posters. Several others and I have already alerted the mods as to what is happening here, but no response as of yet.

That said, to deal with your BS once again....
blacksun2175 wrote:
Batman wrote:On the armour of the Death Star the resilience of which you have completely failed to determine?
And on a slightly unrelated note, would there be any scorching in a vacuum to begin with? I honestly don't know.
From what I have read a nuclear explosion in space would be an extremely bright flash but no firey explosion. You would still get the force of it and all the radaiation but that is it.
And, so? What's your point?
Batman wrote:We have a canon source saying seismic charges (which aren't all that noticeably larger) being 2 GT, and we have canon sources saying fighters are a credible threat to at least minor capital ships.

1)Red leader's torpedoes didn't just impact on the surface--they caused the adjoining decks surrounding the port to shudder. That isn't any thing to scoff at.

2)The Death Star's defenses were built in mind to thwart large-scale capitalship attacks, and besides which, they can manage an enormous amount of energy--hint: Alderaan debris. starfighters won't be achieving any appreciable damage against them any time soon.

3)Provide us evidence of what the yield of Red Squadron's torpedoes were. Red Squadron wasn't up against a capital ship, if you hadn't noticed. There was no point whatsoever in carrying megaton/gigaton-yield missles against the Death Star since they weren't planning on destroying it by using conventional attacks.

4)Explain why fighters are even used against capital ships if they don't manifest a threat to capships. Remember how in ROTJ the first wave of assault against the Rebel fleet consisted of fighters? We even know that a TIE bomber launched a thermonuclear device at Home One and made the the entire ship vibrate.

Further, fighter torpedoes are indeed a threat to capital ships. Remember that scene in ROTJ where the A-wings blew up one of the Executor's sensor domes, and the other one prior where fighters blew up an ISD's sensor dome?

Fucking idiot :roll:

blacksun2175
Redshirt

Post by blacksun2175 »

Boeing 757 wrote:First off, I want to inform everyone on this board that this user here--supposedly Blacksun2175--may in fact be user slicktyler, who has opened up this blacksun2175 account in order to aggravate SD.net user Blacksun2000, whose youtube username has been Blacksun2175 for several months on there until now. On top of the idiocy displayed by user slicktyler in this thread, this troll idiot 2175 gives away his true identity by reiterating the SAME crap, discarded arguments that user slicktyler had given credence, too, even after in this very thread those arguments were torn up by numerous posters. Several others and I have already alerted the mods as to what is happening here, but no response as of yet.
No. I have used the name Blacksun from my p&p role playng days. Black Sun was my characters name from RIFTS the number comes from the year he was born.

That is weird that someone else has the same name on a youtube account well not as weird as someone actually having a youtube account. Why would u need one do you subscire to the Jonahs brothers or something. But it is not the wierdest thing I have seen I once met someone wit the same first name and birthday as me.
Boeing 757 wrote: And, so? What's your point?
my point is I am backing up what he says. I agree with batman and am conferming what he said about no firey explosion

Boeing 757 wrote:1)Red leader's torpedoes didn't just impact on the surface--they caused the adjoining decks surrounding the port to shudder. That isn't any thing to scoff at.
that doesnt stike you at all as being werid that it can shake the decks but not damage the surface
Boeing 757 wrote:2)The Death Star's defenses were built in mind to thwart large-scale capitalship attacks, and besides which, they can manage an enormous amount of energy--hint: Alderaan debris. starfighters won't be achieving any appreciable damage against them any time soon.
i will have to watch the movie again but i remember the x-wings doing damage to the death star with just their lasers. They blow up a few towers and do some straffing runs.
Boeing 757 wrote:3)Provide us evidence of what the yield of Red Squadron's torpedoes were. Red Squadron wasn't up against a capital ship, if you hadn't noticed. There was no point whatsoever in carrying megaton/gigaton-yield missles against the Death Star since they weren't planning on destroying it by using conventional attacks.
I know which is why there should be some damage to the sourounding area.
They used MG7-A proton torpedoes there is no yield for these or at least no printed yield

Boeing 757 wrote:4)Explain why fighters are even used against capital ships if they don't manifest a threat to capships. Remember how in ROTJ the first wave of assault against the Rebel fleet consisted of fighters? We even know that a TIE bomber launched a thermonuclear device at Home One and made the the entire ship vibrate.

Further, fighter torpedoes are indeed a threat to capital ships. Remember that scene in ROTJ where the A-wings blew up one of the Executor's sensor domes, and the other one prior where fighters blew up an ISD's sensor dome?
yes if they are a threat then why dosn't the proton torpedo damage the death star when the xwings lasers will.
Yeah except, the Deathstar had somthing called SHIELDS, shields which withstood the impacts of planetary fragments at a very high velocity. Seriously what makes you think proton torpedoes are going to scratch that monster, if massive planetary debris failed to cause any damage?

I always thought the shields where not against the death star itself but projected like how the Milenium Falcons are. Like I said remember the xwings damage the death star with their lasers so my guess the sheilds would be further out from the surface

Fucking idiot
I back batman up and i get called names. Terrifeic