ISD Build Times?

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Darth Raptor
Red Mage

Post by Darth Raptor »

The surface guns on the first Death Star couldn't hit shit either.
Pablo Sanchez
Commissar

Post by Pablo Sanchez »

Darth Raptor wrote:The surface guns on the first Death Star couldn't hit shit either.
Supposedly (according to the Essential Guide, etc.) a completed DSII would have featured a more more complete and effective network of defensive turrets, sufficient to massacre a starfighter attack. Given that the fire was no more effective than that on the DSI, we can assume that the defensive batteries were at a minimal operational level.
"I am gravely disappointed. Again you have made me unleash my dogs of war."
--The Lord Humungus
Connor MacLeod
Sith Apprentice

Post by Connor MacLeod »

Fingolfin_Noldor wrote:Well, the New Republic was said during the Yuuzhan Vong War to have replaced all its initial losses in.. 1-2 years? I guess if you push the ship builders hard, they will just employ tonnes of droids to do the job.
I believe in the Agents of Chaos novel dealing with Fondor, the NR was building something like 30 Star Detroyer type vessles in under a year (I think around 7-8 months). I dont know how efficient they were, but I know the Empire was more efficient than the Republic (They could build 2 ISDs in the time it took the Old Republic time to build one VSD as I recall.)

And the old RASB mentioned that the Mon Cals could turn out a Star cruiser ina bout 6 months, so I imagine an ISD could be turned out in a similar timeframe.

the first edition Starships of the Galaxy had numbers you could use to crank out starship construction times from a given yard (like KDY) and desptie being gameplay BS (and thus being at best conservative) it could be pretty fast. For example, KDY could have built an Executor-class in 1.7 years, but if devoted to the Empire's needs it could also churn out 482 Executors simultaneously in that timeframe (at least at the stated full capacity) and that didnt include KDY subsidiaries.

For an ISD 2 (only the ISD2 is given in SoTG 1st) you can get it down to about six months from a KDY quality yard and again (so they could probably churn out at least a thousand or more ISDs from KDY in a year)

If you want to work out the Mon Cals (listed in SoTG) too at about 6 months, they could churn out over 80 mon cals at max capacity.

By SOTG stats (Again conservative) even a "average" shipyard won't do more than double it (so you could put out an ISD in about a year, and a Executor in no more than 2-3 years) so I dont think its drastically different.
Uraniun235
Emperor's Hand

Post by Uraniun235 »

Pablo Sanchez wrote:
Darth Raptor wrote:The surface guns on the first Death Star couldn't hit shit either.
Supposedly (according to the Essential Guide, etc.) a completed DSII would have featured a more more complete and effective network of defensive turrets, sufficient to massacre a starfighter attack. Given that the fire was no more effective than that on the DSI, we can assume that the defensive batteries were at a minimal operational level.
Would be interesting to see the fleet necessary to mount a successful conventional assault against DSII.
"There is no "taboo" on using nuclear weapons." -Julhelm
What is Project Zohar?
"On a serious note (well not really) I did sometimes jump in and rate nBSG episodes a '5' before the episode even aired or I saw it." - RogueIce explaining that episode ratings on SDN tv show threads are bunk